• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Ok, there's one person out of hundreds of posts saying that? You did find one example though, and that is a really dumb take.

I'd say almost no one argues that you're a Nazi simply for disliking the film though.

I've seen only one example so far, and I basically had to pull teeth to get it. the vast majority of folks are not making this argument, because it is really stupid.
Haha but it is the first person who posted in this thread. Pull teeth lol

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh I just thought it was funny that the person suggesting that all last Jedi haters are Nazi babies was the first person to post a comment on this thread.
They said "Amen" as a first post. Also I had to practically beg for that one example. The only other one involved digging through SW hangouts from 10 days prior, which ended up being a dud "gotcha"

Elderly Parrot

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
They said "Amen" as a first post. Also I had to practically beg for that one example. The only other one involved digging through SW hangouts from 10 days prior, which ended up being a dud "gotcha"
I mean why are you begging, do you want me to search for more, I saw you asked for one and I said here you go, do you just not believe other posters when they say that.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean why are you begging, do you want me to search for more, I saw you asked for one and I said here you go, do you just not believe other posters when they say that.
You're the only person who responded out of like 2 or 3 others I've asked, and even directed at the thread. Everybody else vanished. And yes, I'd like to see other examples, because I'm not aware of them.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never thought there was anything wrong with that. Race is just another way to relate to a character too. Just wanted to clarify with him.

If he had watched those previous Star Wars movies, he may have figured out from the start that Finn wasn't the real lead and destined to be Rey's sidekick like I did.
The marketing leading up to TFA was pretty intentional with showing Finn as the first character in the teaser trailer, and also showing him weilding the lightsaber in the first TFA trailer. Remember these posters?
images

They baited us into thinking Finn would be protagonist, then the film made it evident that it was Rey. I was definitely pretty hyped to see a black Jedi protag, but felt a little duped. Not that I mind having a female Jedi protag, but they should have made it obvious that Rey was the hero. Its clever marketing, but a little devious. It definitely would have successfully enticed a lot of black people to see the film though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The marketing leading up to TFA was pretty intentional with showing Finn as the first character in the teaser trailer, and also showing him weilding the lightsaber in the first TFA trailer. Remember these posters?
images

They baited us into thinking Finn would be protagonist, then the film made it evident that it was Rey. I was definitely pretty hyped to see a black Jedi protag, but felt a little duped. Not that I mind having a female Jedi protag, but they should have made it obvious that Rey was the hero. Its clever marketing, but a little devious. It definitely would have successfully enticed a lot of black people to see the film though.
It's just disney trying to not give everything away in the trailers. They do the same in marvel trailers.
Rey doesn't wield the saber until that force pull in the forest on starkiller which is pretty cool. I think people would prefer not knowing about it beforehand.

Sucks that it is at the expense of Finn though, but he still gets to use the saber some. Just not a jedi.

Elderly Parrot

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
You're the only person who responded out of like 2 or 3 others I've asked, and even directed at the thread. Everybody else vanished. And yes, I'd like to see other examples, because I'm not aware of them.
The secret is don't limit yourself to the word nazi in the search window, we all know alt right and incel are interchangeable now with it. Ill say the majority of Last Jedi defenders don't act like this but they are def there

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So, after scouring ResetERA since the release of TLJ, there's been a grand total of two examples (Sweeny Swift, and the first one you've listed here) where someone said or implied that only bigots dislike TLJ. One of which was hit with a warning for said claim.

This just highlights what kind of a ridiculous argument it is to claim that it's a talking point on ERA (Winny said that every time someone brings up criticisms, they're called a sexist or racist). I've seen a number of people claim that it's a common occurrence here when that couldn't be further from the truth, as evidenced by the search party.

But I will say, I didn't know anybody ever tried to actually claim that, so I stand corrected that "no one has ever done this". So, two people, in two difference instances, have said this.

We can now say that it's been done, somewhere, sometime on ERA!

Last edited:

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
So, after scouring ResetERA since the release of TLJ, there's been a grand total of two examples (Sweeny Swift, and the first one you've listed here) where someone said or implied that only bigots dislike TLJ. One of which was hit with a warning for said claim.

This just highlights what kind of a ridiculous argument it is to claim that it's a talking point on ERA (Winny said that every time someone brings up criticisms, they're called a sexist or racist). I've seen a number of people claim that it's a common occurrence here when that couldn't be further from the truth, as evidenced by the search party.

But I will say, I didn't know anybody ever tried to actually claim that, so I stand corrected that "no one has ever done this". So, two people, in two difference instances, have said this.

Those goalposts sure do move quickly.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finn wasn't the real lead and destined to be Rey's sidekick like I did.

holy shit....

i think i know now why you hate TLJ

you thought you had it all figured it out, but Rian came and spin all fucking around.

thats why you are so mad, LOL

it is the same shit with Attack on titan, you already decided you have it all figured it out, so Eren
is a genocidal maniac that will end a hero
and isayama is a nazi sympathizer.

Last edited:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I hated TLJ but didn't even know there was a diversity hate on it. They did my man Luke dirty is mainly why I hated it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Those goalposts sure do move quickly.
How did I move goalposts when I said "I stand corrected" on someone, sometime claiming that people didn't like TLJ because they must be bigots? I quite literally said that in the post you quoted.

However, using two examples in ERA history and trying to claim that it's a common occurrence is bullshit.

Dude had to go back over a year to find another example. And it's surely not coming from regulars in SW threads.

To extrapolate those two examples and apply them to everyday conversation is disingenuous bullshit.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
holy shit....

i think i know now why you hate TLJ

you thought you had it all figured it out, but Rian came and spin all fucking around.

thats why you are so mad, LOL

it is the same shit with Attack on titan, you already decided you have it all figured it out, so Eren is a genocidal maniac that will end a hero and isayama is a nazi sympathizer.

Bro, you are posting Attack on Titan spoilers. Spoiler that shit.

Anyways, there wasn't anything that really subverted my expectations for TLJ. I figured Luke was going to die and Ben was going to be the real Big Bad going in because of the TLj interviews. Rey being a nobody was just as likely as her being descended from someone important.
I just didn't like the direction not because it subverted my expectations.

Also just going to point out that Isayama didn't surprise me. I've been pounding out for months that that's where things were going with Eren whereas everyone was trying to grasp at straws that it wasn't what it looks like. If Isayama
proves me wrong by how he frames it then I'll be happy so I won't feel uncomfortable enjoying the story but yeah, Isayama's gone on record praising a fascist and wrote a heroic character inspired by said fascist so you can't say nothing is there.

So it's less about subverting my expectations and more about the direction and if I like the message or not.

Last edited:

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much agree with RedLetterMedia's stance on the movie but more on the positive end. It was fun, some memorable parts.

"Forced diversity" is a stupid fucking angle to criticise the movie for.

Elderly Parrot

Banned
Aug 13, 2018

I have 10 more links but I picked those 5 especially since you are actually in some of the threads including the one you said was an example. Wait you don't think at least the one the guy (Doctor Thorpe) got warned for was offensive at all? I left this one out because I laughed but still messed up haha.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have 10 more links but I picked those 5. Wait you don't think at least the one the guy got warned for was offensive at all? I left this one out because I laughed but still messed up haha.
..Offensive? No. Complete shit? Yes (the one who got warned). And if I would have seen it, I'd have torn into it. And yes, I do fall into that category (of someone who could be offended by this), because I've ripped TLJ multiple times, and believe it or not, I have and still do heavily criticize the film.

I know Meowster, and he would never say or imply that the only people who dislike TLJ are bigots. How do I know? Because we've both criticized the film in SW hangouts. What he's saying in that post is that the distaste for GoT is far greater than TLJ (almost 2M petition, critically panned), and that incels/bigots aren't the only ones who were upset. He's not trying to claim that the only people who disliked or took issue with TLJ were incels/bigots. He's referring to "upset" in the context of people getting bent out of shape because of diversity/political/social messaging.

Like I said, I know this from personal experience talking to the guy.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much agree with RedLetterMedia's stance on the movie but more on the positive end. It was fun, some memorable parts.

"Forced diversity" is a stupid fucking angle to criticise the movie for.

I don't even know what "forced diversity" means. Like, do some white men actually think having less than 50% of the cast in a movie as white men is some form of brainwashing?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't even know what "forced diversity" means. Like, do some white men actually think having less than 50% of the cast in a movie as white men is some form of brainwashing?
Yeah, I guess there shoulda been more white people according to those narratives? There's pretty much no complain about the literal inclusion of PoC/women and not get side eye. Not to say you cannot criticize the representation within that inclusion (ie who has significant roles, how are they written), but.. just complaining about the mere existence of minorities in a film is suspect.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Forced diversity is a negative way to frame, "Making movies look like the real world" or "hiring actors based on their acting and ignoring race if it has no specific meaning in the character or scenario."

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any movie without diversity that is hated with this much vitriol? Personally I loved The last Jedi, had such developed characters and the subplots were integral to the overall narrative.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
This thread was a pretty spectacular backfire op thought he could circumvent criticism of TLJ and have a Rian Johnson circlejerk because who is going to disagree with "fuck racism!" but then here come a few us saying we're not happy with our place at the table and here we are.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
This thread was a pretty spectacular backfire op thought he could circumvent criticism of TLJ and have a Rian Johnson circlejerk because who is going to disagree with "fuck racism!" but then here come a few us saying we're not happy with our place at the table and here we are.
well that's certainly a normal and not at all pathetic way to look at things

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The quote in the OP has nothing to do with that though. RJ is specifically talking about bigots who dislike or hate the movie simply because minorities are in the film/have significant roles.

The intent wasn't to tell minorities they should shut up and watch.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, but if they put everyone into one group and say it's because of some diversity thing, then those who just think it's a shit film, can't really speak about it without being labelled.
That's . . . not how that works. It's easy to discuss reasons you dislike a film and not be grouped up with people who dislike the same film for shitty reasons. It's called giving different reasons.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man that is so pathetic, I feel bad for you that you think this lol. Your head is in the sand so deep you can't see what is actually going on.

It backfired on those who thought a thread about diversity was a thread to push crazy persecution complex nonsense about how everyone claims they are racist and sexist just for disliking the movie.

Only people it backfired on are those who think calling out racism/sexism is a personal attack on themselves.

Oct 26, 2017
Airbender got way more hate. As it was hated by critics where as TLJ got great reviews. Also it bombed and TLJ was the biggest movie of 2017.

Not really comparable. TLJ was quite popular where as Airbender was the opposite of that lol.
So you're looking for a movie in an established series with a large fan base that got good reviews but a vocal portion of the fan base didn't like?

Yeah, not much is going to come close to Star Wars. The hate against the special editions? Han shot first?

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is, and it should always be okay to not like a movie or any kind of media. For example, if someone doesn't like TLJ because:

- They didn't like what was done to Luke and/or Snoke;
- They didn't like the Canto Bight section;
- They didn't like Rey's parents reveal;

Or any other plot point, that's totally okay.

What's really not okay is trying to take the discussion away from diversity when that's the main subject of discussion, or if the reasons you don't like it are entirely related to any of the minority characters, or if you get mad because Rian said "fuck 'em" to people who don't like a movie because of its diversity.

The thing is: the fact that you didn't like a movie isn't as important as the discussion of diversity. The first is simple - everyone is allowed to like or dislike something. But the second still encounters a lot of resistance, and we need to keep talking about it. It doesn't matter if it's the majority or minority of TLJ haters are alt-righters or not. It matters that they exist, and they're doing a lot of harm.

Dec 31, 2017
Something I've never got about the particular vitriol towards this movie(s).

It was surface level diversity.

Finn is one of the most embarrassing black characters in a blockbuster in recent memory.

Do racists truly think black audiences appreciated what they got in these two movies?

A janitor stalking a white woman who literally told him she doesn't like him touching her?

It's fuck racists all day. But don't strain yourselves patting your back for that nonsense.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something I've never got about the particular vitriol towards this movie(s).

It was surface level diversity.

Finn is one of the most embarrassing black characters in a blockbuster in recent memory.

Do racists truly think black audiences appreciated what they got in these two movies?

A janitor stalking a white woman who literally told him she doesn't like him touching her?

It's fuck racists all day. But don't strain yourselves patting your back for that nonsense.
Nearly all of the racism is targeted at Kelly Marie Tran not Boyega in my experience.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i still dont understand how finn, rose, and poe are the B-plot, when the supposely A-plot is Rey stuck in a planet.

thats it, rey trying to convice luke and "training".

on the other hand finn, rose and poe plot is literally saving the resistance of annihilation.

even if Rey became the most powerful jedi, it wouldnt matter if the finn, rose and poe plot ends with their destruction.

so yeah, there is no b plot or a plot. you people just simply cared more about Luke than every other member of the cast.

and thats the reason he didnt show up on TFA, Luke steals the show easily.
Pretty much he is Star Wars. Most of us just want to see our childhood hero represented properly. They dropped the ball on him completely imo and receptions of SW hasnt been the same since..

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much he is Star Wars. Most of us just want to see our childhood hero represented properly. They dropped the ball on him completely imo and receptions of SW hasnt been the same since..
You wanted your action figure to go Force Super Saiyan

This version of Luke in The Last Jedi is the only one that makes sense the way JJ ended The Force Awakens

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck anyone who hates it for Diversity. Fuck anyone who thinks people only hate it because of diversity.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Nearly all of the racism is targeted at Kelly Marie Tran not Boyega in my experience.

This is true explicitly in the comments that led to her quitting Instagram and social media. Same with Leslie Jones in Ghostbusters. That's the loud version of racism.

The room volume version of it is a little more subtle. The Canto Bight scene is the rorschach test. That is the heart of the movie, it's why the coda returns to the Canto Bight stables to show what Luke was teaching us -- the Force is everywhere and within everyone and no one can claim the Force any more than they can claim Life -- the bad guys will try, but they'll never win in the long run. It's an exciting sequence, in a new and imaginative world, where we get a perspective on class differences in the SW universe in the most direct way since Episode 1. In the long view of the saga, the stable kids call back to Anakin and Luke and Rey who each came from versions of poverty. In the short view of it, they're hunting for a macguffin in a casino -- half of the Bond movies have used a version of this scene, but here we're in Star Wars so it's fun weird aliens. What's not to like, I don't see it? It seems to me the reason people think it's pointless, or boring, or whatever complaint I've never seen a particularly good argument against the scene other than "I didn't like it" and what reason is there really other than it's Rose leading us through it?

Dec 13, 2018
An interviewer asked him a question to a prevalent issue in Hollywood that he had experience with, he responded in a way we all can agree with

'But the Last Jedi was bad' is a dimwitted response to a different topic, how about you talk about the subject which is a big enough issue without the need for orthogonal film critic

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
TLJ is a bad Star Wars movie. Maybe a good whatever-else movie but not a good SW movie. And it won´t change even if you call all the critics alt-right, gamergater, misogynistic assholes and so on. A bad movie is a bad movie and it will not change whatever political stance you may have. Sure there are shitheads out there who try to make this a "diversity" and "SJW" problem. But fuck them. I don´t care what they have to say neither about a SW movie nor anything else in life. They are shitheads for reasons lol