• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018
tenor.gif

or just search youtube "the last jedi issues" and none them are racist or misogynist

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure why people are saying he's 'using diversity to avoid criticism'. This question was specifically about the bigots who bristled at the movie because of the inclusion of a diverse cast, i.e. the types who make and distribute this shit:
nT4WerM.jpg

I don't recall a single time Johnson ever suggested that literally everyone who disliked the movie was a bigot who doesn't like diversity.

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
there is plenty of proof about that lol
There really isn't, you're just biased.

I'm sure most people on this website agree with Rian Johnson's comments, but it's also fair to use this thread to comment on how he utilities what is a very diverse cast. From my perspective it seems like he relegated them to subplots and for use as comic effect, particularly the ethnically diverse characters.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You don't help your case by posting absolute bullshit.
There really isn't, you're just biased.

I'm sure most people on this website agree with Rian Johnson's comments, but it's also fair to use this thread to comment on how he utilities what is a very diverse cast. From my perspective it seems like he relegated them to subplots and for use as comic effect.

someone linked a bunch of videos on a past thread and the mods removed them because they didnt wanted signal boosting racists pieces of shit

but yeah, they dont exist at all apparently 🤷‍♂️

As someone who's been on here talking about my issues with the film, that's not the case at all lol. There are plenty of legitimate issues but YouTube is a dungeon of shit

they dont exist man, we are just biased

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Finn isn't anywhere close to "secondary lead" of TLJ. Rey, Kylo and Luke are the main characters. Finn is a supporting character.

I was curious about this so I looked up on imbd the screen time of all of the main characters in TFA. Finn has the 3rd most screen time of any actor in the movie with over 18 minutes (beaten by Luke & Rey). Rose is 4th, followed by Kylo in 5th. In TFA, Finn has the 2nd most screen time of any actor, only beaten by Rey. Finn's totally the second lead of both movies.

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
someone linked a bunch of videos on a past thread and the mods removed them because they didnt wanted signal boosting racists pieces of shit

You're arguing with strawmen now.

99% of people who didn't like the film aren't racist pieces of shit.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was curious about this so I looked up on imbd the screen time of all of the main characters in TFA. Finn has the 3rd most screen time of any actor in the movie with over 18 minutes (beaten by Luke & Rey). Rose is 4th, followed by Kylo in 5th. In TFA, Finn has the 2nd most screen time of any actor, only beaten by Rey. Finn's totally the second lead of both movies.

he is literally in charge of one of the main plots of the movie.

but since people didnt like the conclusion of that plot, he is less than a secondary character.

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018
As someone who's been on here talking about my issues with the film, that's not the case at all lol. There are plenty of legitimate issues but YouTube is a dungeon of shit

True, but they don't get on the front page but through the sidebar recommendation. Me: watch one mildly political video Youtube: I hear you love far right politics

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
True, but they don't get on the front page but through the sidebar recommendation. Me: watch one mildly political video Youtube: I hear you love far right politics

They actually do for me on the PS4 app. Although I guess I can't prove something I watched before isn't the cause

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
How much screen time do C3PO and R2D2 have in the Star Wars saga?

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think screen time is the be-all and end-all in determining main characters.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
The percentage who dislike TLJ because of its diversity is very minuscule compared to the people who dislike TLJ because you ruined its characters, it's lore and it's feel Ryan Johnson
You might say it's minuscule but that minuscule group still performed a harassment campaign that pushed Kelly Marie Tran off Twitter. With that kind of influence, he shouldn't pretend that that group isn't worth addressing and pushing back against. I doubt he considers that every critique of his work is unfounded.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ had plenty of problems (I still liked it for the most part though), but "diversity" was never anything to do with any of them... yet you look on Youtube and the absolute cesspool of 'Gaters and grifters out to cash in on "angry nerd man needs someone to blame" by pointing the finger at minorities and women as being the source of all Star Wars' issues is so fucking prevalent it's pathetic.

Good on Johnson for not mincing words about these assholes... but giving them a quote like this is pretty much what they live for. Guaranteed there'll be a million fucking videos about how RJ "hates SW fans" or some shit by monday.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019

Who said they don't exist? You can acknowledge their existence without posting hyperbolic bullshit in a sad effort to delegitimize honest criticism.

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018
They actually do for me on the PS4 app. Although I guess I can't prove something I watched before isn't the cause

oh I meant search front page, those suggestions are god awful. This is probably why people think it's the 99% are racist and sexist. youtube, facebook, twitter does a bad job filtering the filth but instead amplify it. If you have a video that has vanilla criticisms on TLJ and especially if that's what everyone else is saying it won't get the views but some outrageous racist and sexist video will get the eyeballs.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

How much does Poe have? In TLJ I felt he was more like the second lead besides Rey. Tbh he's one of the better characters even though he doesn't really develop in the movie. Finn felt like a third lead. Not sure where I'd slot Luke. I don't think Finn's arc is that bad though. We'll see how they end things next month.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How much does Poe have? In TLJ I felt he was more like the second lead besides Rey. Tbh he's one of the better characters even though he doesn't really develop in the movie. Finn felt like a third lead. Not sure where I'd slot Luke. I don't think Finn's arc is that bad though. We'll see how they end things next month.

TFA:
Rey - 45:15
Finn - 35:25
Han - 24:45
Kylo - 23:15
BB-8 - 13:45
Poe - 8:45
Chewbacca - 8:45
Leia - 7:00

TLJ:
Rey - 33:30
Luke - 23:45
Finn - 18:45
Rose - 15:45
Kylo - 15:30
Poe - 15:15
Leia - 9:15
BB-8 - 7:45

Poe got drastically more screen time in TLJ than he got in TFA.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
TLJ had plenty of problems (I still liked it for the most part though), but "diversity" was never anything to do with any of them... yet you look on Youtube and the absolute cesspool of 'Gaters and grifters out to cash in on "angry nerd man needs someone to blame" by pointing the finger at minorities and women as being the source of all Star Wars' issues is so fucking prevalent it's pathetic.

Good on Johnson for not mincing words about these assholes... but giving them a quote like this is pretty much what they live for. Guaranteed there'll be a million fucking videos about how RJ "hates SW fans" or some shit by monday.
Those types of people thrive whether you give them ammo or not. In such a situation I think everyone should be as blunt and unapologetic as they can be in regards to how they feel. They can and do make videos based on nothing but being honest and not tiptoeing to avoid a torrent of videos goes the extra mile in actually endearing marginalized people and making them feel heard and seen.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no fan of Rian Johnson or the TLJ but he's right with this. If you dislike this movie or any movie for diversity reasons you're an idiot. I loved the cast for the new trilogy I just hated directions they went with it.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. And more creatives in his position should start calling them out like this.

So why are all the diversity characters regulated to the un-interesting B plot, Rian?

This is still my issue however and basically lowered any interest I had for the series immediately because it's the same shit. The games used to be my reprieve, but they're doing that shit too.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Finn was a badass in JJ's movie but was half a step away from shucking and jiving in your movie so maybe take a step back, Rian
The guy who lost both light saver fight s and spent the entire film trying to run away only to lie and nearly doom the resistance was a badass vs the one where he learn some to look at the bigger picture and defeats phasma, finally joining the resistance.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
He is totally right. Fuck them.

It just sucks that its hard to difference for many people when its about real criticism because the 2 new introduced female characters are both terribly written characters in the movie and fans just come back at you with "oh its just because they are women".

Like who thinks Rose crashing into Finn on Crait was a great idea. I didnt mind the Rose character until that stupid move like wtf.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why Finn's arc was so lame though?

Yeah I'd appreciate the words a lot more if any of his movies were actually diverse. The Last Jedi is the only movie he's ever made with a woman or a minority as leads and that's only because they were the main characters in the first movie too, which is made worse by the fact that even in The Last Jedi those minority characters are treated like crap.

Not so sure Rian Johnson should be given much credibility when he talks about a subject he knows nothing about.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
He is totally right. Fuck them.

It just sucks that its hard to difference for many people when its about real criticism because the 2 new introduced female characters are both terribly written characters in the movie and fans just come back at you with "oh its just because they are women".

Like who thinks Rose crashing into Finn on Crait was a great idea. I didnt mind the Rose character until that stupid move like wtf.
I personally didn't like the kiss and, putting aside my Rey x Finn bias, thought that was the strangest/worst choice in the movie.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'd appreciate the words a lot more if any of his movies were actually diverse. The Last Jedi is the only movie he's ever made with a woman or a minority as leads and that's only because they were the main characters in the first movie too, which is made worse by the fact that even in The Last Jedi those minority characters are treated like crap.

Not so sure Rian Johnson should be given much credibility when he talks about a subject he knows nothing about.

kelly marie tran was literally a johnson hire.

ffs

he revived finn right away

and gave poe more screen time.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If anything I disliked that it wasn't diverse enough. Star Wars always seems to be white bread leads supported by a handful of minorities if you're lucky.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
EVERYONE GETS TREATED LIKE CRAP IN THE LAST JEDI. IT'S A MOVIE ABOUT CHARACTERS FAILING
he is literally in charge of one of the main plots of the movie.

but since people didnt like the conclusion of that plot, he is less than a secondary character.
"WHAT, THE SIDE PLOT DIDN'T END UP HAVING A POSITIVE EFFECT FOR THE HEROES, HOW USELESS!"

Is basically the main criticism of the b plot despite it contributing to the climax just as much if not MORE than teh Rey and Kylo plot. TLJ is a film about failure and learning from it, and in turn everyone ends up failing what they set out to do, and learn from that experience
-Finn fails to look at the bigger picture and starts out only caring about survival and Rey
-Poe fails to look at the bigger picture and starts out only caring about glory and to an extent his manhood
-Rey fails to look at the bigger picture and keeps trying to pass the baton, i.e., ehr lightsaber, to someone else, first Luke then Ben
-Luke fails to look at the bigger picture and downplays the value of hope and the myth of the jedi

These failures all lead to a moment of self reflection which directly affects their actions and attitude during the climax. It's almost like it's a movie specifically about character growth first and foremost. Just like ESB was. You know that movie where "nothing happened."

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
More power to him.
(I feel like I'm repeating myself on Rian Johnson threads, but considering the reactions you get in threads like these, I feel this always needs saying)

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I appreciate the diversity in these new Star Wars movies but i feel its about time we get a PoC or woman in the directing chair.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously how can you not love this guy? Dude is not afraid to call out what deserves called out.

The full answer for reference:

Seriously how can you not love this guy? Dude is not afraid to call out what deserves called out.

The full answer for reference:

Contrast this dude with D and D and their statements on diversity and them claiming to back out because of the fandom.

This guy is a class act. Even if you didn't like his movie, I'm glad he's the one left standing.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
It's been the argument the whole time. TLJ haters are alt-right, racist, misogynist or Russian trolls.

It's just a bad movie.
Asking again: Where has this been pushed? Has Johnson or Disney put out this statement? Understand that there is a difference between genuine criticism and disingenuous critique that pretends to be legitimate. People spotting that and breaking that veneer is not the same thing as calling literally everyone who disliked the movie a bigot.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hated TLJ, but that's a brilliant reply.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Is Rey being a woman protagonist not that?
I've noticed that the narrative in SW threads has been slowly shifting to "only POC count as diversity." Just to discount the film every time someone bringsu p that it is the most diverse SW film. I've noticed those same people also CONSTANTLY downplay the effect the side plot has on the overall events of the film and what it does for the characters involved. This is coupled with a shift that the dude who
-got beat up b someone he attempted to save
-lied the entire movie
-lost both lightsaber battles he was involved with
-nearly let all the heroes not named Rey get killed just so he can save her and run away
-spent the entire movie trying to run away out of fear

was respected more in the film where his entire character arc is about how wrong he was, (because he was), how he learned to become a better person and fight for the rebellion.

While women certainly could be featured more in leading roles in big budget films, a white woman isn't exactly what I think of when I see the word diversity.
A white woman as the lead in a film series that not only has always had male leads be the jedis first and foremost, but also did really gross things with the leading women:
rotj_fisher.-h_2016.jpg

3wluz3d87qxs.jpg

latest

tumblr_poxw81xm7l1w4t7wqo1_500.gifv

It's also not just that, the resistance itself is much more diverse, with many women and POC in the background where in the last two trilogies they were much more absent.

Last edited: