• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously how can you not love this guy? Dude is not afraid to call out what deserves called out.

The full answer for reference:

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
giphy.gif

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ye, most people didn't like TLJ because it was a shit movie, not because of diversity.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it more about how he implemented it in the story?
Nah, that is what the racists and sexists claim to try to pretend to not be racist or sexist. There is no such thing as "bad implementation" of diversity. It's a nonsense phrase from white dudes uncomfortable with too many women leads.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I liked a lot about TLJ, and didn't like a lot about it too. He's always came across as a smart guy, and he's made some fantastic films. I particularly appreciate here that he's not trying to shut down any criticism in general, he's rightly dismissing anyone who's criticisms were because of diversity.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course, a lot of people here will jump in saying the movie was super awesomeballs - but I didn't enjoy it, infact I thought the standalones were much better (ye, both of them lol).

Edit: And before some ERA warriors jump in saying "white-racism etc etc" - I'm not white. Oscar Isaac is the shit. John Boyega was the shit from Attack the Block times. The story was just bad.

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018
Feels like a white man is hiding behind his diverse cast and not taking responsibility for his own movie. Also as a Finn fan he really screwed up his arc badly giving him the worst arcs of the movie while letting the two white kids take up all the limelight.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finn was a badass in JJ's movie but was half a step away from shucking and jiving in your movie so maybe take a step back, Rian

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
RJ is such a great guy. You love to see it.

And now this thread is already going the way of every TLJ thread, so see you all later.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I think people who don't like TLJ for reasons other than diversity are not as vocal and annoying than the ones that do. They didn't like the movie then and that's fine, their point was made.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the guy asking the question didn't even bring up diversity, rian punched down a strawman

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a white man is hiding behind his diverse cast and not taking responsibility for his own movie. Also as a Finn fan he really screwed up his arc badly giving him the worst arcs of the movie while letting the two white kids take up all the limelight.
He is not hiding behind his movie. The most watched anti-TLJ on YouTube with nearly 8 mil views called Kelly Marie Tran a dumb Asian bitch.

The racism/sexism stuff is very real and very loud.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
If diversity is why you don't like X then yes, you definitely deserve to kindly fuck off.

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018
I think people who don't like TLJ for reasons other than diversity are not as vocal and annoying than the ones that do. They didn't like the movie then and that's fine, their point was made.

Oh no we are more vocal, just easier address the sexists and racists then address the actual issues of TLJ. At this point I wish he would just remain silent on Star Wars as nothing good comes from it. Heck the movies are going on hiatus.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Johnson's comment wasn't even about whether it's "all", "most", or "a small minority". It's beside the point, which is that there are people who very loudly don't like the sequel trilogy, TLJ included, becasue of diversity, and fuck them.

that's it. So put aside any comments about it "not being all" or "most don't" or whatever. It's. Not. The. Point.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with that, people who didn't like the movie because of diversity are just sad. But then again, it happens for all movies and tv-shows - a coloured leading man/woman is a big no no for the most part.

Shocking how Johnson didn't think that would happen for this movie.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Johnson's comment wasn't even about whether it's "all", "most", or "some". It's beside the point, which is that there are people who very loudly don't like the sequel trilogy, TLJ included, becasue of diversity, and fuck them.

that's it. So put aside any comments about it "not being all" or "most don't" or whatever. It's. Not. The. Point.
Yeah, exactly. But this thread is going to turn into the same fucking shitfest that every Star Wars thread on here is, with people willfully missing the point to bring up the same old tired bullshit that every SW thread does.

I mean, can you actually argue with the sentiment that if someone dislikes something because of diversity, they should fuck off and die?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Youtube videos imminent with titles: "Has BRIE LARSON managed to BRAINWASH Director RIAN JOHNSON into RUINING STAR WARS!?!?!"

Dec 21, 2017
He's absolutely correct.

I mean, he directed cinematic dogshit that looks like a Star Wars movie, but hating it because...what, the lead is a woman? The secondary lead is a black man? And an asian girl who...follows him around? And a hispanic(I might be wrong on Poe's nationality?) who gets his order from...a woman with pink hair. Cool. Harrassing Kelly Tran on Twitter is fucking stupid and does nothing. Fuck them.

Those aren't reasons to hate the movie. The fact that all these characters were in a movie whose writing was clearly in the rough draft portion went to filming and boy, does it show. That should be why its hated on, not because Laura Dern seems to really like wearing wigs. [I've only seen her in this and Twin Peaks The Return, is that normal of her?]

So why are all the diversity characters regulated to the un-interesting B plot, Rian?
Because the A-plot was the only thing he tried on before finishing the movie.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Youtube videos imminent with titles: "Has BRIE LARSON managed to BRAINWASH Director RIAN JOHNSON into RUINING STAR WARS!?!?!"

Grifters need to ride the YouTube algorithm logic of the month. They'll have to shoehorn Elsa and Frozen references into the title and tags instead of Brie for November.

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018
He is not hiding behind his movie. The most watched anti-TLJ on YouTube with nearly 8 mil views called Kelly Marie Tran a dumb Asian bitch.

The racism/sexism stuff is very real and very loud.

Sorry can't find the video you pointed out. So making the assumption it was made by a popular youtuber that draws the sexist and racist crowd and not actual star wars fans.
The actual star wars youtubers are a niche with only sci fi fandom as their audience but it's near universal anti TLJ and it's for actual movie reasons. So they maybe not have the views with one video but the star wars youtubers would easily out number that 8 million many times over with numerous videos but spread out over time and channels.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this thread is a absolute mess.

Almost feel like people are offended by RJ statement.

Super suspect.