• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I think the instant you start thinking in terms of how do you not step outside of the bounds of what the original movies did, you're not thinking the way the people who made the original movies did," Johnson shared on the Creative Processing with Joseph Gordon-Levitt podcast [H/T Twitter, MovieCooper]. "They were with every movie, they were pushing it forward, with every movie they were stepping outside those bounds and pushing the characters into new, emotionally honest, but surprising places. That's why those movies are great. That's why they're alive. If they had been looking at something that came before it and saying, 'Oh, we better not do this because that is outside of this or that,' it would've been different."

More at: https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019...-jedi-rian-johnson-push-boundaries-franchise/

Grow beyond if old

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Eh...I understand he is saying but still he was the middle movie, it wasn't his place to do what he did, save that shit for the last movie.

Still looking forward to what he does with his own films. Like in his own sandbox. In a galaxy far far away from characters I know.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Kylo Ren, I don't actually think Last Jedi actually pushed much forward. If anything it just means Rise of Skywalker has to do a lot of shit off screen.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was it controversial for pushing things forward? I enjoyed it enough but Ep 9 doesn't even feel like the trilogy is ending. Not much happened in TLJ

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Outside of Kylo Ren, I don't actually think Last Jedi actually pushed much forward. If anything it just means Rise of Skywalker has to do a lot of shit off screen.
Aside from wiping out almost all the Resistance including Admiral Ackbar, the First Order's biggest fleet, killing Luke, saying Rey's backstory was nothing, killing Snoke...

Yeah, not much forward momentum at all.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from wiping out almost all the Resistance including Admiral Ackbar, the First Order's biggest fleet, killing Luke, saying Rey's backstory was nothing, killing Snoke...

The Resistance was already incredibly small going into the movie. Rey as a character hasn't actually progressed that much. Luke spends the entire movie being grouchy and at the end only returns to what he was in Episode 6. Killing Snoke doesn't mean much since Snoke wasn't much to begin with.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Unfortunately because so many fans just want sentimental nostalgia-bait fan service sequels forever more Episode IX is probably just going to undo a lot of what Johnson did. I don't need Rey to be related to someone. Star Wars is incestuous (heh) enough as it is.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
THANK YOU!

This is why I'm looking forward to his new SW saga. Goddamn JJ was in love with the box the OT outlined. He jumped snugly into it and tightened all around, not at all interested in even looking outside the box.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
The Resistance was already incredibly small going into the movie. Rey as a character hasn't actually progressed that much. Luke spends the entire movie being grouchy and at the end only returns to what he was in Episode 6. Killing Snoke doesn't mean much since Snoke wasn't much to begin with.
Luke is very different than he was at the end of episode 6. Luke in Returns was all about the physical confrontation. While in Last Jedi he had grown past that by learning from Returns and in flashbacks that a physical fight is not going to be the way he resolves these huge hurdles.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet god this guy loves himself. He may be the biggest fan of his own movie.
"You should not put yourself into a box based on what past films did because they didn't do that either."

"Man, fuck this guy! What an ego!"

Like, how can you even begin to find an issue with what he said? There's nothing controversial there.

Ya'll on that bitch eating crackers shit.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Different isn't always better.

Except for the Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff that I really liked. Unfortunately that's all that I liked.

Dec 21, 2017
He pushed the wrong way. All characters suffered from his writing.

This.

Everytime I think of second entries, it bugs me how much Rian Johnson couldn't outdo Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. As far as characters go.

The racist bots had more personality than most of the cast. The scene with John Leguizamo [sp?] seeing the one Transformers' balls is more well written than...most of the movie.

Moving forward does not have to mean "straight into a tree and taking the franchise with it".

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Push us so far forward we went back in time to the beginning of the franchise.

I hope Rian can do some cool stuff when he isn't tied to established stories and characters. He had some neat ideas in TLJ but I didn't like how they fit into the overarching narrative, but that's mainly because Disney didn't go into 7, 8, and 9 with an idea of how the entire trilogy would play out, they worked on one story at a time. Now that Johnson has control over the beginning, middle, and end I think he can do Star Wars justice.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell dis he even move forward? TLJ accomplishes the least in terms of moving they overall plot forward. He just killed a bunch of people and tried hard to subvert expectations.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

rey goes from looking outward to looking inward. her arc in the last jedi is a pretty big deal for her character given that she's always pinned her hopes on others, her parents coming back, her force sensitivity being tied to her lineage, looking to han, looking to luke, shit even looking to kylo. the movie ends with her looking to herself.

like or dislike that's an incredibly odd point to try and make

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
< T-Rex footsteps from Jurassic Park>
*Straps in*
< "TLJ AND HACK RIAN JOHNSON RUINED STAR WARS" has entered the chat>

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Unfortunately because so many fans just want sentimental nostalgia-bait fan service sequels forever more Episode IX is probably just going to undo a lot of what Johnson did. I don't need Rey to be related to someone. Star Wars is incestuous (heh) enough as it is.

Weird..What pissed me off the most about TLJ is that the chemistry the NEW characters had in TFA went straight down the toilet in TLJ. There were a lot of problems I had with TLJ, but this was the biggest one for me and a huge turn off. I know I'm not alone in this. The whole argument about everyone who hated TLJ because "nostalgia" is kind of weak. It was just a shit movie really. IMO of course! :)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Eh...I understand he is saying but still he was the middle movie, it wasn't his place to do what he did, save that shit for the last movie.

Still looking forward to what he does with his own films. Like in his own sandbox. In a galaxy far far away from characters I know.
You're saying this with the films following Empire Strikes Back?

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017

I mean if movies were only about the world-building elements, then yes. But that's not what movies solely are.

You're saying this with the films following Empire Strikes Back?
Like this is my stance. ESB is about the characters and barely any Rebellion, Empire or tertiary characters are developed outside of the first 30 minutes. But yet, ESB is regarded as the best film in the trilogy.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I admire the intent. i would rather have someone like Rian Johnson try and fail than just have an uninspired recycling of the old movies like TFA. But imo Johnson did fail because TLJ is a mediocre movie. It's his worst movie by far.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Darth Vader is an iconic villain with tons of memorable lines but he's a cartoon compared to Ren who's more of a character study, and there was some effort to approach the characterization of Luke similarly in TLJ. Stuff like that, the casting choices and the visuals are all pretty inspired but I'd want to see those things pushed further in his trilogy. If he has the chops to write a GRRM-esque take on the Star Wars universe, where almost every character is a character study, genuinely shocking and surprising deaths, layers and layers of political and social allegory, and unpredictable storytelling, I'm in.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
This.

Everytime I think of second entries, it bugs me how much Rian Johnson couldn't outdo Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. As far as characters go.

The racist bots had more personality than most of the cast. The scene with John Leguizamo [sp?] seeing the one Transformers' balls is more well written than...most of the movie.

Moving forward does not have to mean "straight into a tree and taking the franchise with it".

This is straight up one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this site and perhaps across the entire internet. What about this movie makes people lose their minds is beyond me, but perhaps some of you never had them.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if TLJ is a forward progression of the star wars franchise, then i want off this ride

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Oh god I forgot how he killed Ackbar off screen, I mean for fucks sake.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
This.

LOL spelling ain't the issue here, completely different person.