• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Guess the developer should have installed privacy glass. It's one of the downsides of living in a city with other buildings just across the street.

Just because you bought a condo, doesn't mean that you get to shut everyone else down.

As well as the art on the gallery's walls, visitors to Tate Modern in London have been able to stare at an unusual sight for the past few years: the apartments opposite.

In 2017, residents of four of the apartments mounted a legal challenge demanding that Tate close that side of the platform or at least put up screens, citing a "relentless" invasion of privacy from onlookers.

But on Tuesday, the British High Court ruled against their case. "These properties are impressive, and no doubt there are great advantages to be enjoyed in such extensive glassed views," Justice Anthony Mann said in his decision. "But that in effect comes at a price in terms of privacy."

BBTuont.img

The platform, with its panoramic views of London landmarks such as St. Paul's Cathedral and the Houses of Parliament, receives hundreds of thousands of visitors a year.

In their complaint, the residents said that the ability to look into their properties meant the apartments were no longer "a secure home for young children." One claimant said he had discovered that a photograph of him had been posted on Instagram.

Lawyers for the claimants had told the judge that their clients did not want to use blinds because that would obscure the views they "consider to be one of the key advantages to the flats."

Tate Modern pointed out that plans for the construction of the platform were public knowledge when the apartments were sold. The development received its original planning permission at about the same time as the apartments, the gallery added.

"I am not indulging in any criticism of the claimants or the developers; nor am I criticizing the architectural design," the judge said in his ruling. But "the architectural style in this case," he added, "has the consequence of an increased exposure to the outside world."

It is worth noting that the museum limited viewing hours on the platform to exclude evening hours when people are more likely to be home, but the condo owners still want it closed permanently. They want to have their city view, but deny the public that same city view, even though they knew the museum platform was there when they bought their condos.

Source:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ghbors-in-tate-modern-privacy-case/ar-BBTu5Bh

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Don't they have privacy film you can put on windows?

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
1% problems.

Also, they sell privacy one way window film that can solve this problem in 5 minutes.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Funny thing is Tate Modern is open til 10pm so people could spy. It's a hilarious non-issue for these richie richs who can install fancy automatic blind systems.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing how close those buildings were to the new wing of the Tate and thinking that this would be a problem, the developer fucked up and the Tate is being about as accommodating as they can at this point

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
They're missing an opportunity.

1) Install remote controlled blinds.
2) Install paid remote on gallery platform.
3) Call it "performance art" and give it a cool title like "Slice of life."
4) Have people pay to raise blinds for a brief time.
5) Split profits w/gallery.

Once all the insta hipsters and influences jump onboard people will line up to swipe their credit card.

Or, just do the simple thing and sell your window space. It's prime real estate right now. Charge a company to put a sign just inside your window. ;)

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
They should sue the weather when it's cold, sue the underground every time a train is late, sue the restaurant when they don't enjoy the meal, etc.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Uh, I've seen this happen in poor neighborhoods as well. It's not so much people want to shut other people out, it's just that sometimes people need the choice of whether or not they want privacy.

Don't be a rubberneck in public, thanks.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Uh, I've seen this happen in poor neighborhoods as well. It's not so much people want to shut other people out, it's just that sometimes people need the choice of whether or not they want privacy.

Don't be a rubberneck in public, thanks.

The issue isn't that they want privacy, it's that they want privacy whilst also wanting the multi-million dollar views that they knowingly paid for. It's a textbook definition of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Note: My family lives in one of those "poor neighbourhoods" and we don't complain that people can see directly into our living room because we bought a curtain the week we moved in.

Last edited:

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Rich people: "we're the smartest people in the world and we deserve all the money we make"

Also rich people: "how were we supposed to know having big windows would make the inside of our house more visible?"

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Here's the view from the Tate gallery:

AF1QipP_j9Dm6W22LchEhTRjW3yen1TSUdLl4THVIZ1g=s1536

While this is a really petty thing to complain about (especially demanding Tate to rectify a problem they didn't even cause), whoever designed those apartment buildings probably should have paid more attention to the area since I'm pretty sure these apartments were built around the time the Tate Modern was drawing up plans for the extension. Actually, I really don't understand why you would build apartments with such revealing windows anyway, especially in an area with a number of active developments under construction.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
If I can afford privacy coating for my windows, I don't see why these rich fucks can't? It doesn't change the tint or obscure the view in any way.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
These folks are ridiculous. I also live in an apartment with floor to ceiling windows in my living room and master bedroom. You throw up some damn curtains and open them when you want to experience the view.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I thought people that got windows like that wanted to be seen. Sort of a rich person exhibitionism...

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I figured people without curtains just didn't care about being seen or whatever?

I've passed by regular non-rich peoples' homes that don't bother either.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017

While this is a really petty thing to complain about (especially demanding Tate to rectify a problem they didn't even cause), whoever designed those apartment buildings probably should have paid more attention to the area since I'm pretty sure these apartments were built around the time the Tate Modern was drawing up plans for the extension. Actually, I really don't understand why you would build apartments with such revealing windows anyway, especially in an area with a number of active developments under construction.
They need to drape blinds over that entire building. That plywood-over-the-windows aesthetic sure is something.

Oct 28, 2017
There are apartments in downtown Dallas that are completely transparent from the street and adjacent buildings. People have no blinds or curtains. I always wondered why nobody seemed to mind the city could see everything.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My last home had 128 windows and it was only 2k sq ft. The living room was floorboard to 15ft ceiling windows on 3 sides. The house was a fish bowl. If you buy something like that, you had better have the common sense to know what you're getting yourself into.

I miss that house!

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
My last home had 128 windows and it was only 2k sq ft. The living room was floorboard to 15ft ceiling windows on 3 sides. The house was a fish bowl. If you buy something like that, you had better have the common sense to know what you're getting yourself into.

I miss that house!
Hey, so could I borrow a couple of grand. I need it forrrrr stuff and things

Thanks in advance.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO I want Tate to install a telescope to allow the peasants to better observe what the rich are doing.

That is an art installation I could get behind.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017

I'm no architect, but may be when they drew up the concept art for the building, they might have chosen a large flat plain as the background.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whenever I've seen those sorts of high luxury apartments with floor-to-ceiling uncovered windows in movies/tv I've always wondered how the hell that would work in terms of privacy.

I guess they haven't figured it out either.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's my Modern Art Performance Piece, now hosted at the Tate Modern:

It's the view of these apartments from the Tate. I call it "Conspicuous Consumption".

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are solutions to this. It isn't the museum's problem. They can put up a coating or blinds or curtains.

People have a right to and an expectation of privacy, but you can't expect everyone around you to bend to your will either.