• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 38361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2018
The question I have in this thread is, who here (bold enough) is still going to support Ninja by watching his streams/donate despite of his take here and why?

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
The question I have in this thread is, who here (bold enough) is still going to support Ninja by watching his streams/donate despite of his take here and why?

Isn't his major demographic like 8-14 year olds?

I can't imagine too many people here watch him regularly - support via donations, etc.

Or.. do they?

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Blevins did concede that cheating and recording it was silly but argued that if Logan Paul didn't get penalised for filming a hanged corpse, then Faze Jarvis should also not get penalised. "Logan Paul literally filmed someone hanging in a forest and his channel didn't get banned and he's been perfectly fine," Blevins said.

"In that aspect, he was a YouTuber, a big one, and he didn't get banned. YouTube decided that he was big enough to not get banned."

This makes no sense whatsoever. Just because YouTube didn't ban Logan Paul for filming a hanged corpse doesn't mean that Epic shouldn't have banned Jarvis. It just means YouTube should have banned Logan Paul. You can't take the fact that one company didn't do enough against one content creator as a justification as to why you think another company is in the wrong for actually doing something against a content creator.

Also, cheating in a video game is nowhere in the same ballpark as filming a dead body and talking to it about depression. Like it blows my mind just how stupid the comparison it is. For a man that successful I legitimately thought he could come up with better points than that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
He's stating average people get banned on no poor then but then flips it and says but Jarvis is different. Why should he be excluded? Oh he's 17, nope not a good enough excuse at that age you should know what's right and wrong. Every game has an agreement you must accept before playing and if you cheat you are held accountable. Even at 17 you make dumb choices but they still have consequences and it's a life lesson for him.

where did he say "he should be excluded" or "shouldn't be banned" lol? That is my only point here. He said "it's different" because it
is* different — not only does a streamer lose access to the game but also to a source of income. That doesn't excuse it or make it right, but it being different isn't up for debate

But people are insinuating that because he acknowledges it is different that he is also saying the kid shouldn't have been banned. The title of the thread and video both say he said something that he didn't. If you watch the video, one of the first things he says is he should have been punished but maybe not permanently. Which, if people have a problem with that then I get it because there he actually is saying the rule (permanent ban for cheating) shouldn't be permanent (for a streamer). But this whole thread is accurately representing what he said

and again to be perfectly clear, I don't agree with him and I'm not defending him. I think the kid should be permanently banned, I have no tolerance for cheaters. But let's have a conversation about what the guy actually fucking said

Oct 26, 2017
1261009.jpg

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
HA! "please give streamers special treatment!" from the guy whose made several lifetimes worth of money from streaming.

more financially conservative bullshit from a person I've only ever found unpleasant.

Edit: The "content creator" in question is also just 17? Can Ninja not fathom the idea that someone who has made an audience with one game simply choose another game that his fans will follow him to? Are streamers who use aimbots really the people you want to make a protected class? God, I'm sick of rich idiots.

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Zero reading comprehension, no point saying anything else. Read his words, not what you think he is saying
And this is a perfect example of not answering a question and instead going around it. Well done. It's too bad you can't actually spend the time and discuss. Ah well. You got your out though, congrats.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017

He has a shitty opinion on a topic that needs to be discussed further as the streaming community gets bigger.

Not sure why that would be grounds for dropping support?

It's nothing compared to the remark he made about playing with women.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think that's a surprising take for someone that's become a multi-millionaire from playing a particular game.

Don't agree with it at all though. People who cheat in videogames get banned, sometimes permabanned. Just because someone is fortunate enough to earn a ton of money doing it, shouldn't exempt them from those consequences. We don't need to give streamers any more bonus privileges than they already enjoy

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
And this is a perfect example of not answering a question and instead going around it. Well done. It's too bad you can't actually spend the time and discuss. Ah well. You got your out though, congrats.

The premise of your question was flawed, so what is there to discuss?

Is the quote correct? Yes. Did the thread title misrepresent the quote? Yes. Did you misread what the quote said? Also yes.

Now let me ask you a question: look at the text in thumbnail of the video. Look at the video title. Look at the thread title. Reread the quoted text. Now, after all that can you tell me where he actually said the kid shouldn't be banned?

Watch the video, one of the first things he says is that the kid should have been banned (he did disagree with a permanent ban, however). There is not much discussion to be had if the premise of the discussion is flawed.

So, if you want to have a discussion about what he actually said then I am all for it.

And again, for clarity: I don't agree with him. I think all cheaters regardless of context deserve a permanent ban.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
right now he has 9785 viewers.

His numbers are irrelevant at this point. Being on Mixer accomplished 2 things for Ninja.

1: He got a massive contract that sets him up for the next several years
2: His contract allows him to branch out into other avenues to sell his brand

It has never been about Mixer making him a more popular streamer, it's that Mixer makes allows him to find additional revenue streams that were difficult to do while streaming full time on Twitch. Basically its about Money and brand awareness, but according to him it was never about the money, even though it's the money that enables him to branch out and make more money.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
No, there is zero difference between the two. Because they're both doing a shitty thing. You're just a shitty person who happens to make more money than the other shitty person who doesnt. Content creators, regardless of how many viewers they have, are not some special protected class. I feel like hes saying this not because hes done anything, but because of the pervasive fear that the ride is over if he does something to get himself in some shit that could cost him his streaming career.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Honestly it's his off the cuff take, taken from his stream while he's playing, and it's chopped up and probably has some bits removed. If he was sitting down with someone thinking about it he'd probably have a much better explanation of why he believes it - which seems to center around permanent ban being everyone - streamer, publisher, streaming service, game... And in that sense, he's right - a permanent ban from a game he's popular in is obviously bad for him, but it's also got a knock-on effect of lower visibility for the game, and whatever that means. If he starts streaming Apex Legends instead - assuming he's smart enough to not aimbot that game - then that's a pretty big chunk of viewers who are watching that instead.

If it was malicious, then ok - but it doesn't seem like it had that kind of intent to it. So give him a six month or a year ban, which is more than long enough to stop random jackasses from trying it.

People compare this to having regular jobs, but it's not - compare it to sports or entertainment. Pro athletes who get caught using PED don't get a lifetime ban immediately. Actors who get caught up in a scandal may face blacklisting from studios, like Keanu Reeves was, but it doesn't last forever. Most of the time they roll right through it - like Robert Downey Junior did.

Roman Polanski fled the country to avoid statutory rape charges...and still got work.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
also content creators should be allowed to use slurs and be nazis with impunity

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
Fuck you
You cheat in online games, you should be banned forever. No exceptions.
Don't cheat, it's not hard

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
it's only fair

think of all the attention they bring to a game that they angrily yell slurs at

the devs should be paying them for marketing!
it's a pretty vital part of the job when you think about it. you'd practically be taking food from their children's mouths if you force them to not be slur-slinging nazis

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck you
You cheat in online games, you should be banned forever. No exceptions.
Don't cheat, it's not hard

This.

Cheat all you want in singleplayer games, get fucked if you do it in multiplayer. Best case for these idiots should be cheater only servers.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
The premise of your question was flawed, so what is there to discuss?

Is the quote correct? Yes. Did the thread title misrepresent the quote? Yes. Did you misread what the quote said? Also yes.

Now let me ask you a question: look at the text in thumbnail of the video. Look at the video title. Look at the thread title. Reread the quoted text. Now, after all that can you tell me where he actually said the kid shouldn't be banned?

Watch the video, one of the first things he says is that the kid should have been banned (he did disagree with a permanent ban, however). There is not much discussion to be had if the premise of the discussion is flawed.

So, if you want to have a discussion about what he actually said then I am all for it.

And again, for clarity: I don't agree with him. I think all cheaters regardless of context deserve a permanent ban.
Your original response which started this dialog stated that the quoted information in the OP and title were misrepresenting what he said. So to me, this means you simply took what was said in a different way from what myself and others took. I simply asked you to clarify if what he said was in fact true. It took you 3 responses to finally confirm this and it's because you don't feel it's accurate. I don't have a problem with that. But to say the actual quote is misrepresenting him, I don't agree with at all. It's like a 'well that's not what he meant' excuse and that doesn't jive with me.

If he said something to alter this response in a video or whatever, that's beyond the scope of what I asked about. The quote was correct, but you think it meant something else. That's it. The question from me wasn't flawed at all, I think you simply tried to avoid it because you were dead set on saying it wasn't what he meant.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Honestly it's his off the cuff take, taken from his stream while he's playing, and it's chopped up and probably has some bits removed. If he was sitting down with someone thinking about it he'd probably have a much better explanation of why he believes it - which seems to center around permanent ban being everyone - streamer, publisher, streaming service, game... And in that sense, he's right - a permanent ban from a game he's popular in is obviously bad for him, but it's also got a knock-on effect of lower visibility for the game, and whatever that means. If he starts streaming Apex Legends instead - assuming he's smart enough to not aimbot that game - then that's a pretty big chunk of viewers who are watching that instead.

If it was malicious, then ok - but it doesn't seem like it had that kind of intent to it. So give him a six month or a year ban, which is more than long enough to stop random jackasses from trying it.

People compare this to having regular jobs, but it's not - compare it to sports or entertainment. Pro athletes who get caught using PED don't get a lifetime ban immediately. Actors who get caught up in a scandal may face blacklisting from studios, like Keanu Reeves was, but it doesn't last forever. Most of the time they roll right through it - like Robert Downey Junior did.

Roman Polanski fled the country to avoid statutory rape charges...and still got work.

There are exceptions to every rule but your analogy to some of these people like Polanski made me laugh at the absurdity of it all.

The streamer downloaded an illegal program that hacks the game. If it's against the tos and the devs want to ban him it's their right to do so. No matter what you or Ninja think about whether or not the person should get a life time ban or a second chance, rules are rules. Job or otherwise. People get banned from the game who aren't making money streaming because it's all the same.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Can Ninja not fathom the idea that someone who has made an audience with one game simply choose another game that his fans will follow him to?

Unfortunately that's not the case. A lot of streamers are stuck doing a single game because the moment they change they lose their audience. It's why you see a lot of streamers get super burnt out because they have to play the same fucking game over and over. It isn't until they reach some point of success they can attempt to hop games.

Not that this excuses anyone, knowing this he should make damn sure not to break the rules.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
This is the man all the kids and teenagers are looking up to.

They're going to take his words as gospel.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I for one am glad to live in a world where we don't get the gamer version of "Do you know who I AM?!!!"

Twitchy already enables that sort of BS. We don't need devs endorsing that shit.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The consequences of someone whose livelihood depends on streaming being banned are indeed different than the consequences of someone who plays for fun being banned; but all this means is that the one playing to earn money should be that much more careful. It should not be on game developers and publishers to safeguard someone else's livelihood because they were careless.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an absolutely fucking ridiculous take. He thinks if you have enough followers it entitles you to use aimbots to kill other players? Are those other players going to get a cut of the money you made when you killed them with hacks for Content?