• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Gervais is a fucking bell end. Smug twat, shit person, hasn't been funny for about 15 years and was desperately, desperately shite before The Office. A cunt.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
This is just a bad assumption, that's all.

Not at all. The thing that makes dogwhistles so effective is the illusion.

It happens in all the threads about transphobe comedians. People talk about the shitty transphobic things these dumbasses say and then people come in drop "HAHA FUNNYMAN" like a turd in the middle of the living room and bounce out. Deny it all you want, but it happens so often it's practically a meme at this point.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not at all. The thing that makes dogwhistles so effective is the illusion.

It happens in all the threads about transphobe comedians. People talk about the shitty transphobic things these dumbasses say and then people come in drop "HAHA FUNNYMAN" like a turd in the middle of the living room and bounce out. Deny it all you want, but it happens so often it's practically a meme at this point.
The thread is about him hosting the Golden Globes. Some people react with "hey that's awesome I like him". How is that a "turd in the middle of the living room"? If the thread was about his problematic comments then I'd agree with you, but it isn't.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that it's fair to assume that during a discussion about a comedian's transphobic bullshit, that when someone suddenly says how much they like said comedian that they don't have the best opinion of trans people. That or they are they are astoundingly terrible at reading the room (though even in that case they still likely don't have a problem with transphobic jokes which ain't great either).

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really liked Gervais back in the day. I still think After Life is a really well written and sweet show.

But, he's absolutely bought into his own hype.

He became David Brent with money.

(And that's before you get to him identifying as things)

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Transphobia and Inflammatory Community Generalizations
I think that it's fair to assume that during a discussion about a comedian's transphobic bullshit, that when someone suddenly says how much they like said comedian that they don't have the best opinion of trans people. That or they are they are astoundingly terrible at reading the room (though even in that case they still likely don't have a problem with transphobic jokes which ain't great either).

I showed my gf the post that I quoted. She had a good laugh. And she's trans.

This is typical ERA toxicity, where everything is black and white. I got shit on in another topic for being anti-lgbt while being part of that group. I got shit on by people for being anti-that, hating that, while these people fight for better Switch Icons in their spare time.... the same night I was part of a demonstration in my city. It's just ridiculous. I will watch the Globes. With my gf. With our friends. With other trans folk. And we will have great night. So that's that. I'm out.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

This is typical ERA toxicity, where everything is black and white. I got shit on in another topic for being anti-lgbt while being part of that group. I got shit on by people for being anti-that, hating that, while these people fight for better Switch Icons in their spare time.... the same night I was part of a demonstration in my city. It's just ridiculous. I will watch the Globes. With my gf. With her friends. With other trans folk. And we will have great night. So that's that. I'm out.
I specifically said "trash person telling trash jokes" because you had this to say about Lindsay Ellis when she parroted one of his transphobic jokes:
Trash tuber makes trash jokes. News at 11. But more baffling: After name searching herself on Twitter for reactions she had the glorious idea to delete the problematic tweet. After she calls Gervais out for deleting one of his tweets. Wow.
So it's odd that you go from believing those jokes are trash and those that tell them are trash, to Gervais being the reason you want to finally tune in again and his appearance being the best news for you in a long time.

Last edited:

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I specifically said "trash person telling trash jokes" because you had this to say about Lindsay Ellis when she parroted one of his transphobic jokes:

So it's odd that you go from believing those jokes are trash and those that tell them are trash, to Gervais being the reason you want to finally tune in again and his appearance being the best news for you in a long time.

I understood this reference.

There is certainly nothing to deny that Gervais is mostly a selfish asshole. But I don't want to be friends with him or put him on a pedestal, I just want to feel entertained by his show. The Globes have been filth in recent years, with different hosts. The last good shows were those of Gervais. Therefore I prefer to watch a self-involved ass that makes me laugh rather than one that wraps its flat, unfunny opinion in too long Youtube videos. And yes, writing in this topic, I mean of course the best news in a long time concerning this topic. Not news like "world peace agreed", "Hong Kong is now independent" or something like that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I understood this reference.

There is certainly nothing to deny that Gervais is mostly a selfish asshole. But I don't want to be friends with him or put him on a pedestal, I just want to feel entertained by his show. The Globes have been filth in recent years, with different hosts. The last good shows were those of Gervais. Therefore I prefer to watch a self-involved ass that makes me laugh rather than one that wraps its flat, unfunny opinion in too long Youtube videos. And yes, writing in this topic, I mean of course the best news in a long time concerning this topic. Not news like "world peace agreed", "Hong Kong is now independent" or something like that.
I'm still not getting how you go from believing his jokes are trash and people that employ them are trash to being giddy about his involvement and continued elevation. He referred to people irritated by the transphobic output at his last Golden Globes as "whiny cunts", but you claim that was the last good year so not really sure what bar we're hitting here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dude is one of the most obnoxious people in Hollywood, he's an active deterrent to watching the Golden Globes

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guy was also retweeting a trans person that is hates herself and is transphobic as fuck. Guy was saying she is doing a great job

Man trash

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
lmao "my trans friend said it's okay" isn't an argument.

Not only that, but the rest of that rant was claiming that he is part of the LGBT community and does important demonstrations while everyone else argues about trivial matters, yet somehow always gets called out for anti-LGBT posts.

Weird that this keeps happening to him, yet it isn't he who is doing anything wrong.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling and dismissing concerns around transphobia
Big yikies in this thread. I'm sure it'll be a funny evening.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
The thread is about him hosting the Golden Globes. Some people react with "hey that's awesome I like him". How is that a "turd in the middle of the living room"? If the thread was about his problematic comments then I'd agree with you, but it isn't.

I believe that there are certain people who you have to know have reputations that precede them.

If you make a Louis CK thread about his upcoming stand-up gig, you know that people will immediately think of, and talk about, how he masturbated in front of unwilling women. If you make a thread about Roman Polanski's new movie, people will talk about how he drugged and raped a 13 year old girl. If you make a thread about a well-known transphobe, you know what that thread is gonna be about.

You can say that just because he makes transphobic jokes he isn't transphobic (like people did with Chappelle) but this guy has done nothing but make transphobic comments for a long time now.

All that to say, read the room, and if after you do that want to drop a drive-by about how you love the person and their work? I dunno what to tell ya. It's a well known tactic and the whole point of dog-whistles is to have a certain air of deniability to them.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

Nah when it comes to topics like this, people just outright stop talking like real people. Coming into the middle of a discussion about his transphobia being all like "Haha I love his humour, he brings such wit" or "wow a lotta hate itt, anyway I think he's really funny"

Lmao gimme a break

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

This is typical ERA toxicity, where everything is black and white. I got shit on in another topic for being anti-lgbt while being part of that group. I got shit on by people for being anti-that, hating that, while these people fight for better Switch Icons in their spare time.... the same night I was part of a demonstration in my city. It's just ridiculous. I will watch the Globes. With my gf. With our friends. With other trans folk. And we will have great night. So that's that. I'm out.

I don't believe any of this.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There's plenty of yikies to go around but I'm mainly referring the assertion that those who find Gervais funny are trans-phobic.
Could respond to people doing so. The question was mainly around why people wish to see a transphobe elevated, celebrated and given further status.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017

The ol' "I'm black and" posts.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Does he routinely make trans-phobic jokes or was this a recent occurrence?

Ricky, 58, posted: 'I was going to dress up as something weird and creepy for my Halloween party, but I'm bucking the trend this year and I'm going as brave female activist Jessica Yaniv. 'This also means I don't have to wax my big old hairy b**ls.'

The British comedian and creator of "The Office" doubled down on transphobic remarks he made about Caitlyn Jenner while hosting the 2018 Golden Globes, repeatedly using her former name, referring to her as a man, and discussing her genitals and surgery. He did all this while wearing a smug grin and claiming to have a "liberal, progressive attitude" about transgender people.
Gervais leads into the Jenner bit by telling three rejected jokes that he nixed from the Golden Globes because they would be too offensive. After each joke, he slyly adds: "I'd never tell a joke like that, it's horrible… I didn't do it, so you're getting offended at a joke that doesn't exist."

He applies similar self-righteous logic to his next tirade, when he uses Jenner's former name and male pronouns when discussing her past. "I'd never dead-name her now, but this is like a flashback," he says, using the term for a transgender person's assigned birth name. Gervais lauds himself for engaging with his critics, who taught him the word "dead-name," and explained to him why using Jenner's was offensive.

He then launches into one of the most common and insidious arguments used by conservative and religious groups to deny transgender people basic human rights. "I'm not one of these bigots, who think having all that done is science gone too far… In fact, I've always identified as a chimp. Well, I am a chimp. If I say I'm a chimp, I am a chimp. And don't ever dead-name me, from now on you call me Bobo. I'm going to have species realignment."

He uses racial and bigoted slurs, hates so-called "PC Culture," mocks marginalized people whenever he can, and doesn't believe he should change how he interacts with the world. He wants comedy to return to the "good old days" when he could make fun of trans people, Black people, and autistic people and no one would complain.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's subjective isn't it?
Don't be a pedant, you understand what's being said.

He's put out enough transphobic jokes for it to be a trend and something associated to him, he actively plays into them and puts them out repeatedly, believing people irritated by them to be "whiny cunts".

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Don't be a pedant, you understand what's being said.

He's put out enough transphobic jokes for it to be a trend and something associated to him, he actively plays into them and puts them out repeatedly, believing people irritated by them to be "whiny cunts".

Which leads us back to the point where people will go into a thread to defend someone who they apparently know nothing about. One google search of "Gervais transphobic" leads to endless examples.

But we should believe that LGBT activists would all huddle around their tvs to watch him rehash his "I identify as <noun>" joke followed by deadnaming, misgendering and referring to human beings as "it."

I will readily admit when I misjudge a poster's intent and have jumped the gun. I have seen no proof of that in this thread as of yet. There is no way you can be a big enough fan of this person's to get excited that he's hosting a show, but not know this stuff.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Man Ricky Gervais used to be so fucking funny. His first 3 stand ups, The Office and Extras were all hilarious.

These days though....eurgh.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The response was to the general notion that bigotry cannot be forgiven.
The discussion was about why we should elevate, celebrate and platform an unapologetic transphobe. Something you keep trying to argue around the periphery over despite coming in hot to "yikes" the thread.

So why do you think transphobes and people that perpetuate transphobic sentiment should be given status?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Which leads us back to the point where people will go into a thread to defend someone who they apparently know nothing about. One google search of "Gervais transphobic" leads to endless examples.

But we should believe that LGBT activists would all huddle around their tvs to watch him rehash his "I identify as <noun>" joke followed by deadnaming, misgendering and referring to human beings as "it."

I will readily admit when I misjudge a poster's intent and have jumped the gun. I have seen no proof of that in this thread as of yet. There is no way you can be a big enough fan of this person's to get excited that he's hosting a show, but not know this stuff.
Even has a spot on the bingo board next to the pride flag: