• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
As someone who really liked Steep, played it for many months and even platinumed the game i am very let down so far, i am getting massive The Crew 2 vibes from this game here...pop ins when flying around, graphics somewhat muddy.

played around an hour and the whole vibe is really awful...at the moment i feel like i would have preferred just a Steep 2...but i will play the whole 4 hrs, maybe i will warm up to Riders Republic.

edit: turned off motion blur, looks a bit better but there is definitely chromatic aberration enabled which you can´t turn off.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Had no idea progress carries over into full game till my friend told me

Definitely gonna download the trial now to prepare for next week

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
At this race where you start with bike and change to snowboard automatically the game crashed right after reaching the finish line. i am done with this for today...

edit: and why can´t you set a control scheme seperately for bike, snowboard and wingsuit? it really sucks...

Last edited:

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I can't do it. Gameplay is vaguely fun, visually very underwhelming on series x.

But extreme vibe is too highly stronk. Like an MVP ferret careening on a leg slope with too much how do you do fellow kids, a gnarly, radical abundance of it. 15 minutes in and I almost dislocated my legendary thumb mashing the power button on my Xbox controller to turn….this….shit……off. I don't care if it's 100% self consciously ironic or not.

I blame DJ Atomica. He started this shit.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I can't do it. Gameplay is vaguely fun, visually very underwhelming on series x.

But extreme vibe is too highly stronk. Like an MVP ferret careening on a leg slope with too much how do you do fellow kids, a gnarly, radical abundance of it. 15 minutes in and I almost dislocated my legendary thumb mashing the power button on my Xbox controller to turn….this….shit……off. I don't care if it's 100% self consciously ironic or not.

I blame DJ Atomica. He started this shit.

Its The Crew 2 all over again...

i think there is a high chance that this game if 50% off on Black Friday already...

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The game is surprising buggy for something so close to launch, unless it's just an old build. After events I kept getting stuck just staring at my character in the world until the next dialogue or prompt decided to load (and when introducing fast travel points it broke because I opened the map too quickly and the game didn't know what to do), the 3-2-1 countdown rushes through the first two numbers which looks broke but might be an intentional style choice, sometimes there seems to be rider collision in races then other times theres not and just weird bike physics when you sort of bash into walls. Probably a good sale game.

Nrober

Banned
Apr 1, 2021
Surprised by how poor it looks (am on PS5). I get massive open world yada yada but some of the texturing on the skis I was unlocking was abysmal, as though it was locked to PC low settings or something.

I'm torn, it's ages since I've bought a sports game and I think the gameplay would grow on me. But I really can't stand the whole willing and hollering thing and the aweful dialogue between events. Makes my ears bleed.

Between that and terrible graphics think it'll be a pass, shame.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This game performs like complete garbage on my 3070.

I dropped all settings to low and dropped the resolution to 1080p, and I still get massive slowdowns when racing. I'll be going along at 60 fps, then randomly the game will drop as low as 28 fps (!!!) for 2-5 seconds then go back up to 60.

It seems like it's streaming stutter or something, no idea. But this is completely unacceptable.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado

I dropped all settings to low and dropped the resolution to 1080p, and I still get massive slowdowns when racing. I'll be going along at 60 fps, then randomly the game will drop as low as 28 fps (!!!) for 2-5 seconds then go back up to 60.

It seems like it's streaming stutter or something, no idea. But this is completely unacceptable.
Yep, I was getting similar performance on my 3070ti. It is very disappointing.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Steep is vastly superior to this game...Steep has this serene atmosphere compared to Riders Republic whacko style. when you turn off the music in Steep it is a great escapism game, you hear the wind go "wooosh", the snow carving and the pinging of the checkpoints and that was it. played a round of Steep in the last hour and its such a chilled and nice atmosphere while Riders Republic is constantly blaring in your face.

RR sadly turned out to be exactly what i feared. they did the same with the tonal shift from The Crew 1 to The Crew 2.

and there are so many things that just don´t work. the rewind feature seems broken, sometimes it stops rewinding directly in front of the obstacle you crashed in just so you crash into it again...the checkpoint gates are too small in many races, you miss one and its already over because you will lose too much time with this rewind feature which doesn´t even work as intended.

the after race screen is so slow, its infuriating. those constant super hipster style smartphone videos interrupting you and you can´t even skip those, what were they thinking? and the plasticky looking mountains and rocks...it looks super artificial as if it is all fake.

you can´t set a control scheme for the bike and the snowboard seperately so the races where it switches automatically are awful because of that. and the bike feels completely off in the trial races...it just has no good game feel.

one good thing achieved this trial, i´ve instantly canceled my pre order and will buy this when its at 20 bucks and maybe a bit patched up.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020

That's really weird. I was running the last beta on a 2070S with an R5 3600 and had no problems keeping it well above 60fps on high/ultra settings, at 1080p too.

Unless they severely fucked something up since then or I just didn't hear others complaining at the time about issues I can't imagine why it runs so poorly for you. Have you checked gpu/cpu utilization with something yet to see if its even stressing your hardware?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Yep, I was getting similar performance on my 3070ti. It is very disappointing.
runs flawlessly on my 3070ti

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Gameplay is fun, looks ok on SX, nothing that looks much next gen tho.

Chromatic aberration is too much.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Played pretty much an hour on the dot and got through the introduction phase.

It's pretty fun. Controls felt solid enough, especially once I got a feel for drifting with the bikes.

Everyone is going to complain about the tone and "extreme" characters and hip speak, but it's honestly exactly what I was expecting so I'm not surprised. So goofy. Doesn't really bother me, but I certainly don't need it, either.

I don't know that I need to buy right now, but I could possibly see myself playing it one day. Seems to be enough content there and even just the exploring for the sake of it might be cool.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Game won't even launch - "OFF-PISTE1" error saying connection has been lost despite me just downloading some games and every online feature working properly.

get it together, Ubisoft.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
Game won't even launch - "OFF-PISTE1" error saying connection has been lost despite me just downloading some games and every online feature working properly.

get it together, Ubisoft.

Yeah, I can't connect either on Series X. I tried multiple times and finally gave up.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
This feels like the Forza Horizon games but with extreme sports, dialogue feels like they're trying too much in having a cool attitude.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I tried taking some screenshots but the CA is to much to handle, had to delete them.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I just played about 90 minutes. Some observations:

Good:
+ Mass races are fucking awesome
+ Skiing and jetpacks are great fun
+ Quick navigation + fast loading.
+ Cool soundtrack

Bad:
- Bikes are boring and handle not well
- Way too much stuff being thrown at you. Took like an hour before I could play a MP match ffs.
- Bit concerned about matchmaking, I had to wait several minutes quite often
- Are mass races only once per hour? If so that's a shame.
- Everything I saw of the "story" seemed so bad.

I might get a month of U+ to play some MP but I have no interest at all in the single player.

OP
OP
M. Wallace

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I just played about 90 minutes. Some observations:

Good:
+ Mass races are fucking awesome
+ Skiing and jetpacks are great fun
+ Quick navigation + fast loading.
+ Cool soundtrack

Bad:
- Bikes are boring and handle not well
- Way too much stuff being thrown at you. Took like an hour before I could play a MP match ffs.
- Bit concerned about matchmaking, I had to wait several minutes quite often
- Are mass races only once per hour? If so that's a shame.
- Everything I saw of the "story" seemed so bad.

I might get a month of U+ to play some MP but I have no interest at all in the single player.

Mass races are supposed to every 15 minutes in the final game but for the trial they are every half hour.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Ugh, I kinda hate it. Glad I didn't preorder.

Doesn't give me the Downhill Domination feel, and, worse, all the dressing is offensively bad.

Why does every extreme sports/racing game need to be like this? It's always the same bullshit about a festival and "here in the republic we live life to the extreme" and "here's your free car/bike/whatever, let's go meet a stereotypically cool guy" and "hi, it's me, the cool radio guy for the festival". It's so tired and so tiring.

Edit: After a couple more races, yeah, this isn't for me. The physics feel too.. angular? It doesn't feel like I'm riding a bike, it feels like I'm snapping point to point on a grid or something.

Trial worked against 'em in this case.

Last edited:

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Played it on Stadia, maybe 40 minutes. Graphics nothing to scream about but I thought it looked fine. Did not notice any lag or hiccups, no graphical glitches other than one time the rewind artifacts stayed for about 20 seconds. No pop-in that I could see but I was more focused on my races.

It was... fun'ish?

I liked the skiing and rocket pack the most... made me remember old skiing games and pilot wings lol.

NOT a game I would buy regardless, but I will have fun in the 4hr trial. Plus no download and instant play on Stadia was worth it anyway :)

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Played for about an hour so far on Stadia. I'm enjoying it. Not sure if I'm going to buy. I've got a backlog of games already and while it's fun I might just wait for a sale. Love the bike events so far, sense of speed is great, and crossplay ensures there will always be a large pool of players to play with.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
This feels like the Forza Horizon games but with extreme sports, dialogue feels like they're trying too much in having a cool attitude.
What I don't get is - with games like Amped and SSX this was always the tone. RR has more voiced stuff but that's mainly in the first hour with the tutorial. This type of stuff is the hallmark of games of this nature. Steep was criticised for not being fun enough and not having a meaningful story. I get that maybe people don't connect with it but I think it's an unreasonable expectation for it to have been different giving the tone it's going for. It's like buying a Naughty Dog game and expecting it to not take itself seriously.

I really think they just tried to make it like those Y2K games and it largely does succeed in that if you don't try to bust its chops every time something cheesy is uttered. I feel like people kinda forgot how to not take this stuff so seriously - and in an extreme sports title no less.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Insensitive Joke Around Suicide and Prior Ban for the Same; Long History and Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior
Alt-tabbing just to say wtf is with that cover of Gangsta's Paradise?
It's awful. I don't want to sound dramatic but it makes me want to slit my wrists. It's not even bad in a funny way which I would've accepted.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Definitely see the flaws more when I'm pushing through the tutorial for a second time. But man I still find that downhill bike racing insanely fun, especially with the first-person view, the speed of it feels so great. Need to take a bit more time to warm up to the other sports.

I might still wait a bit to pick the game up though, more because I'm broke right now than anything else, and while fun it's hardly gonna be a 'must play'. Like people say it'll dip in price pretty quickly anyway.

SimonAbou

Dec 5, 2017
I am so glad this game exists and am having a lot of fun with it!

There is a big emphasis on the bikes at least at start which is like the first hour. I think this will push a lot of people away, and it definitely pushed me away at first. HOWEVER, after playing for a while and switching to manual mode for the tricks, the bikes have quite a bit of depth to them. It is the downhill game I didn't know I wanted and am so glad they had the budget to pull it off. I went in for the skiing, stayed for the biking :)

CypherERA

Feb 8, 2018
California - USA
I inadvertently saved and continued on a default character without having a chance to customize it. Now I'm stuck with a stock character in this 4-hour trial. I tried deleting the saved data so I can start a new game file, but continuing just resumes my current progress.

Is there no way to start a new character in this beta? And will the final game allow for multiple character creation save slots & files?

Light-Cloud

Apr 3, 2021
I inadvertently saved and continued on a default character without having a chance to customize it. Now I'm stuck with a stock character in this 4-hour trial. I tried deleting the saved data so I can start a new game file, but continuing just resumes my current progress.

Is there no way to start a new character in this beta? And will the final game allow for multiple character creation save slots & files?

Once you get through all of the introduction you're able to recustomize the look of your character as many times and as often as you want. You're never stuck with one look, it's pretty cool and I wish all games with character creation did it.

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
It's not running too well on my machine at the moment. I really wish they would add DLSS implementation to their games. On a 2070, i5 10600k and 16gb ram.

There's also a kind of plasticy sort of look to everything, like nothing is particularly sharp texture wise?

I'm having fun though, unlocked the snowmobile and ski's/snowboard. Hopefully I can get to the arial stuff tonight. Haven't played MP with any friends yet but should be able to later.

One of my biggest frustrations though is that photo mode. I run Virtual Photography streams and am always photographing games but it's so bare bones in this even when it's a feature in the game world itself. You can't rotate the camera or zoom in, only move it around. There's no control over the depth of field, it just locks onto your character at all times. Presets aren't labelled so it's not clear when you're back to the original.

It's not like they haven't had these features in other games either. Both Watch Dogs and Valhalla have fairly good photo modes!

Granted the above is probably a pretty unique thing to have a problem with, the rest of the game seems like good fun. It's taking a lot of time for me to get used to not preparing a jump with A/X though. I keep using that to start a jump off a ramp when I should be switching to other buttons!

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Alt-tabbing just to say wtf is with that cover of Gangsta's Paradise?

As someone who was a toddler when this song was released and has only had appreciation for hip hop in the last handful of years, the original does absolutely nothing for me and the covers and trailer placements make me have an active aversion to the song. Just stop people.