• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry to say Op, but nothing will substitue a real session at the gym or on a treadmill. Those games that "train" you just give you the illusion of training. Unless combined with a heavy diet I'd highly suggest spending 30-45 minutes at a gym and see real progress than playing a game and having the illusion of getting fit.
Various fitness trainers says it's the real deal

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tempted to get this to supplement my gym workout, but so many glowing reviews start with some variation of "I don't like to workout." The gym is my happy place. So I'm alwas left wondering, is this game for me? Is it gonna give me that good giddy feeling I get after a good workout?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would. The strap and Rincon on their own + the game digitally would still work out cheaper (games have a stupidly high rate of duty for whatever reason).

Ugh, that's pretty shitty. The only way to get the game digitally right now is through the Japanese My Nintendo store so I'm not sure how easy it would be to arrange that, regardless of the country you'd have to import it from.

Khatoz

Oct 27, 2017
Any type 1 diabetic has tried this to regulate their sugar levels?

Between work and 2 small kids makes it going to the gym pretty much impossible.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think I am gonna buy this... I've only seen positive reactions and this is freaking fitness game

And I loved Wii Fit, still have the balance board ( I wish the Switch used it somehow...)

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This is MUCH, MUCH better than Wii Fit.
Mind you, I loved the balance board and enjoyed Wii Fit and WF+ a bunch.
This, this one will give you a REAL workout.

You'll sweat. You'll be dripping if you do it well. You'll do a morning or after-work 30min session and I bet you'll be sore the next day, all day, at least for the first couple weeks.

Wii Fit would never be enough exercise to get you fit unless maybe for people suffering severe obesity that any little thing counts, RFA on the other hand, put enough effort in it and it'll will give enough of a workout to improve the condition of anyone but the hardcore kind.

I mean, it feels weird to me I have to explain why what you're saying is inherently false, considering how obvious it is, but there you go:

You can lose weight doing stretching, running on the treadmill, doing squats, push-ups and abs. Then stretching again.

Literally that is enough, with diet of course that goes without saying, to get in much better shape and lose weight.

Ring-Fit can give a better workout than the routine I mentioned above.

You most assuredly CAN and WILL lose weight with RFA if you use it well.

That isn't really true. People have lost weight with Wii Fit without being severely obese. Just overweight. That and Wii Fit has been used in rehab.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly no, at least right now. It's one of the very few things annoying me about the game but since you already have to set up things up, changing the cartridge isn't that big deal.
Yeah, the irony of me wanting to do exercise, but too lazy to change a cartridge. It's just that I've gone all digital this gen apart from the Breath of the Wild cartridge I got at launch, I like having that in there to dip in and out, and if there is a barrier to putting the ring fit on, then I'll be less likely to use it.

I wonder if I buy the digital Breath of the Wild the save can move over? That way I can keep the ring fit cartridge in.

Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle
Sorry to say Op, but nothing will substitue a real session at the gym or on a treadmill. Those games that "train" you just give you the illusion of training. Unless combined with a heavy diet I'd highly suggest spending 30-45 minutes at a gym and see real progress than playing a game and having the illusion of getting fit.

Couldn't be further from the truth. I go to the gym very regularly (5 days a week) and this, at maximum intensity, kicks my ass.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm gonna cave soon and buy this, mainly cos I really can't be arsed to join a gym.

Is buying an exercise mat along with it fully recommended?

Last edited:

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
This was the next game I was going to get after I finished death stranding, but OP is doing a great job convincing me to get it even before that.

As I mentioned before in the thread, don't think of this as the main game you'll be playing and then beat and move on from. It's something that you'll be playing for months in short sessions a few days a week. You'd be replacing/supplementing your current exercise regimen with it, not your gaming.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna cave soon and buy this, mainly cos I really can't be arsed to join a gym.

Is buying an exercise mat along with it fully recommended?

I've been playing in my basement with a very thin carpet and it works fine for me without a mat, but if the room you plan to use has hard floor then yeah I'd probably recommend one.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You literally only do various workout exercises, how are they an illusion of working out? No one is saying that it's replacing deadlifting, but saying it just gives you the illusion of working out is just weird and straight up ignorant

I'm so tempted to get this to supplement my gym workout, but so many glowing reviews start with some variation of "I don't like to workout." The gym is my happy place. So I'm alwas left wondering, is this game for me? Is it gonna give me that good giddy feeling I get after a good workout?

Them saying that and loving the game just shows that it makes it fun even for those that don't like to do it, if you already like working out, I don't see the game not being good for you personally. Also the game is very scalable, so it's good even if you work out regularly since you can adjust the difficulty to your liking

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Gotta disagree, as someone who lost 105 pounds this year on Wii Fit, and 5 pounds so far with this. Yes diet plays a part too, but there's been a considerable difference in my entire life by using these games.

The exercises in this do a great job at toning the muscles they're aiming to tone. It's a great thing for a lot of people, and I'm glad it's getting attention for it.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
That isn't really true. People have lost weight with Wii Fit without being severely obese. Just overweight. That and Wii Fit has been used in rehab.

I haven't said that you cannot lose weight with Wii Fit, there was plenty evidence showing people dropping pounds, I said that using solely Wii Fit as your daily workout wasn't enough to get you fit.

RFA with its exercises on the other hand is enough of a workout and executed in a way to give a substantial impact i.e. you can get fit by using just it (and a healthy lifestyle ofc)

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I haven't said that you cannot lose weight with Wii Fit, there was plenty evidence showing people dropping pounds, I said that using solely Wii Fit as your daily workout wasn't enough to get you fit.

RFA with its exercises on the other hand is enough of a workout and executed in a way to give a substantial impact i.e. you can get fit by using just it (and a healthy lifestyle ofc)

But that isn't really true either since people have used Wii Fit 'solely' to lose weight and got fit. It's really no different from how people can used yoga solely to get fit.

Also, most people who start any type of fitness game rarely used it 'solely' to begin with. They often couple it with something whether it's diet or other workouts.

Dec 31, 2017
This is so silly. Have you tried it yourself? There's no "illusion" here, come on 😅
Tried Wii fit in the past and it was a big waste of time, same for my wife, she didn't make any gains from that, and buying resistance bands at a fraction of the price of Wii fit proved to be a much better investment for her. The reality is that you "might" lose some weight by doing that crap, if done with a low calorie diet, something like 1800-2000 calories per day, but that alone will make you lose weight slowly anyway.
I ran 7km per day 5 days a week for years, Barely losing weight that way. The reason why cardio doesn't work that well is because you don't build the same muscle mass that weight lifting will, and muscle mass makes your body burn more calories over time so you lose even more weight that way. I was eating 3000+ calories per day and working out 1 hour in the gym per day/5 days a week and in 5 months I lost 15 pounds (I wasn't fat, just wanted to get in better shape). I look a lot more fit as well. I'm not saying cardio is bad (in fact, I still do it every week), but lifting weights in conjunction with it is almost necessary honestly. Diets don't work since I love eating, so lifting weights proved to be the better way of maintaining/losing weight imo.

I know some will say it's better to do this than nothing. I will say though: stop being lazy and get out and just freakin train. That's what everyone else does. I work, I have kids, and yet I find the time to do it! It's the same for everyone, but some are lazy, and some are not and go out and run/hit the gym. If you need a "trainer" on YouTube to tell you this is the real deal and that it works, fine, but you are just lying to yourself. At least have the decency to put some headphones on, go out and run; you'll end up in much better shape than within some Switch game. Hit the gym before/just after work so it doesn't consume as much time out of your daily schedule. An hour 3-4 times a week is all it takes.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Tried Wii fit in the past and it was a big waste of time, same for my wife, she didn't make any gains from that, and buying resistance bands at a fraction of the price of Wii fit proved to be a much better investment for her. The reality is that you "might" lose some weight by doing that crap, if done with a low calorie diet, something like 1800-2000 calories per day, but that alone will make you lose weight slowly anyway.
I ran 7km per day 5 days a week for years, Barely losing weight that way. The reason why cardio doesn't work that well is because you don't build the same muscle mass that weight lifting will, and muscle mass makes your body burn more calories over time so you lose even more weight that way. I was eating 3000+ calories per day and working out 1 hour in the gym per day/5 days a week and in 5 months I lost 15 pounds (I wasn't fat, just wanted to get in better shape). I look a lot more fit as well. I'm not saying cardio is bad (in fact, I still do it every week), but lifting weights in conjunction with it is almost necessary honestly. Diets don't work since I love eating, so lifting weights proved to be the better way of maintaining/losing weight imo.

I know some will say it's better to do this than nothing. I will say though: stop being lazy and get out and just freakin train. That's what everyone else does. I work, I have kids, and yet I find the time to do it! It's the same for everyone, but some are lazy, and some are not and go out and run/hit the gym. If you need a "trainer" on YouTube to tell you this is the real deal and that it works, fine, but you are just lying to yourself. At least have the decency to put some headphones on, go out and run; you'll end up in much better shape than within some Switch game. Hit the gym before/just after work so it doesn't consume as much time out of your daily schedule. An hour 3-4 times a week is all it takes.
You literally don't know what you're talking about.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Simple question:

Have you played Ring-Fit Adventure?

And don't tell me you've watched people play it, that doesn't work with this specific game.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

Perfect mix of anecdotal evidence and complete bullshit.
Muscles weigh more than fat, so if your goal is to lose weight then building muscle mass isn't the best way to achieve that goal.
I ran 6-10 km a day 3-5 times a week a few years ago and lost 30 lbs within 6 months. I did zero weight lifting. My workouts were 100% cardio.

Ring Fit Adventure makes you do all kinds of basic but proven exercises like squats, sit-ups, mountain climbers, planks, etc. How are those an illusion?

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017

Glad your system works for you, this system is working for us. I don't get why you're so dead set on telling people their progress isn't progress but I hope you can find happiness some day.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017

You come off as absolutely insufferable.

I have trained for at least 5 days per week 52 weeks per year for the past 15 years. I think Ring Fit Adventure is an amazing training tool, because the most important variable is not how intense, hardcore or muscle-building your chosen regime is, but how much you enjoy it. Because that will ensure consistency. I have seen numerous streams of this game, and I can guarantee you that for the majority of people, it can reduce body fat levels and improve strength endurance.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Well, if you want to tell people how things really works, you could drop the calorie counting talk in relation to body weight loss. The body has a number of different energy systems and methods to store energy, and if you lose weight mainly is dependent on if you burn fat instead of glycogen.

Instead of a "diet", it's possible to try a thing called "food" (as opposed "junk food"). "Food" will usually normalize the appetite (and body composition) normally, unless the pancreas has been damaged or something. Refined carbs in any form (which is one of the main components in junk food) make it impossible for the body to burn fat for quite some time after the meal, due to the insulin response.

Refined fats (also a big component in junk food) will also cause a stress on the body, which will often trigger the same system in the body. The main reason why cardio doesn't work as a weight loss method can also be caused by a similar reason: the pulse gets too high, which causes stress hormones, which prevents fat burning. Note that world-class marathon runners like Kipchoge usually train the majority of their sessions on relative pulse levels that are lower than a typical cardio session at a gym.

I train long-distance running, currently between 7-10 hours a week (depending on work/life schedules) but never ever with headphones, since that's really goes against what I should do in training: listen to my body. You'll probably call me lazy since I don't hit the gym (more than for occasional treadmill tests). But regardless of that, I really thinks Ring Fit Adventure is both an excellent game and a good workout that suits my other training very well.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

bodybuilding.com is that way

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
In the short time I've been pleying this game I'e already fixed my posture most of the time just because of the lower/upper back exercises I've been doing in the game. Motivation really is a factor in this, since I really want to keep going and seeing what the game has to offer.

FOr once my "collect-all" OCD will bring health benefits, since I want to complete all worlds.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
This game is making me do planks and I'm the one actually choosing to do them because they're a AoE with good DPS.

And that shit wreeeeeecks my abs, love it.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
This is MUCH, MUCH better than Wii Fit.
Mind you, I loved the balance board and enjoyed Wii Fit and WF+ a bunch.
This, this one will give you a REAL workout.

You'll sweat. You'll be dripping if you do it well. You'll do a morning or after-work 30min session and I bet you'll be sore the next day, all day, at least for the first couple weeks.

Wii Fit would never be enough exercise to get you fit unless maybe for people suffering severe obesity that any little thing counts, RFA on the other hand, put enough effort in it and it'll will give enough of a workout to improve the condition of anyone but the hardcore kind.

Oh wow that's awesome to hear!! This just seems so much more fun than going back to P90X or Insanity. I've been trying to condition myself into getting myself back into more intensive workouts to lose a bit of weight, and I need something more intensive. I just showed this to my roommate and she seems excited to try it out too. We're going to try to pick it up over black friday.

How often are you touching the controllers while you play? Should I buy a set of joy-cons solely to use for workouts? I would worry about wearing them down or damaging them via sweat and all. Is this a valid concern or should I not worry about it?

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Should I buy this or will it drop deep in price like Labo. I'm super fit but def still want it. Looks so fun

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow that's awesome to hear!! This just seems so much more fun than going back to P90X or Insanity. I've been trying to condition myself into getting myself back into more intensive workouts to lose a bit of weight, and I need something more intensive. I just showed this to my roommate and she seems excited to try it out too. We're going to try to pick it up over black friday.

How often are you touching the controllers while you play? Should I buy a set of joy-cons solely to use for workouts? I would worry about wearing them down or damaging them via sweat and all. Is this a valid concern or should I not worry about it?

You don't really touch the joycons at all. One is inside a leg strap and the other is in the ringcon, so you never actually hold them during your workout.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Completely agree with OP. Goty contender for me in a year with many great games I love.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
But that isn't really true either since people have used Wii Fit 'solely' to lose weight and got fit. It's really no different from how people can used yoga solely to get fit.

Also, most people who start any type of fitness game rarely used it 'solely' to begin with. They often couple it with something whether it's diet or other workouts.

I think we're hitting a reading comprehension problem here. Read my post again, you're misinterpreting and straight out missing how I'm using specific terms. For starters, getting fit and losing weight are not the same thing.