• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's really smart design right there.

I'm highly considering getting this and possibly using it in combination with a weekly regime (like 30 minutes of Ring Fit, 30 minutes real jogging, or other substitutions).

Still waiting for my job schedule to change to its permanent schedule so I have a better idea of planning out my time.

Did they say if they're going to update with new routines?

Sadly no word on updates yet, but the story mode for the game will likely last you well over half a year if you do it 4-5 times a week. There are a wide variety of exercises though, so I don't think you'll get tired of the variety there.

I do hope they announce DLC updates though, if any game is begging for it it's this one.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Been using Ring Fit in tandem with my cycling and it is no joke. Squats and chair poses are whopping my ass but I love it.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I used this is my main workout method over the holiday when I was away from my gym and damn I really loved using it. It's a legit fun game that I wanna play every day and also can absolutely crush me with some of the intensity they throw out there.

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
My buddy surprised me with this for Christmas. I was surprised how much of a workout it is. I played through the first 3 levels and was still sore a couple days later from all the squats.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
This game teaches you endurance, and enthusiasm. If you do the manuevers with more enthusiasm and try your hardest you will lose some great weight.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Am I missing something with the block? I've played two sessions, in my first one I completed the entire first world without really losing any health and found it relatively easy.

On the second world I upped the difficulty slightly and basically died straight away, only making it to the second level in the world. I didn't find it too difficult or get too out of breath whatsoever, energy wise I could have played through the whole world, I just lost all my hearts almost immediately.

I don't really get how the ab guard works, I hold it so tight that the ring is basically touching each other and hold it for how long it tells me to, and sometimes I get Great, sometimes I get Good, sometimes I get Ok etc - without anything really being noticeably different in how I've done it. What's the criteria for a perfect block that keeps as much health as possible?

Outside of this I'm really enjoying the game and have had a great workout already
Yes, I'm having trouble with this too.
It's kinda frustrating, I do just what they say but I'm clearly missing something. It really sucks to die and have to start over.
Perhaps is just a leveling thing

Are you keeping your abs the tightest possible? I watched my boyfriend play a bit, and he kept getting a lot of damage, even though he also had the ring almost touching itself. I told him to really tighten his abs and it finally worked. As the game says, "you have to feel it in your abs, not your arms". If you do it right, you shouldn't be getting more harm than half a heart (sometimes even a quarter) per attack (al least in chapters 1 and 2, haven't played any further yer).

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
Yeah checked it, all sold out unfortunately. I know a few GAME stores have them but they're charging around £90 for it. I did find it on Asda for £65, ordered it online and then they cancelled it two hours before delivery so i'm guessing they're out of stock too.

Hey! So I saw your post yesterday and decided to check the Asda site too after reading it. It was still showing up on there so I thought I'd try and order it for myself and see what happens, what's to lose? Luckily everything with my order went through and they just delivered mine, so they definitely do have some stock. Not really sure what went wrong in your case with them cancelling it, maybe an issue with delivery, or lack of stock locally? Idk, but they definitely do have some left somewhere, it could be worth trying again, but either way I just wanted to reply and say don't give up hope ! Anyway feeling lucky to have it now since it really is a bitch to find here. Hope everybody else in the same position can have the same luck soon.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Got an email from Nintendo UK about being able to pre-order the game. And it looks like its coming back on amazon in a few days.
Looks like they are getting new stock in the UK at least.

Only thing I don't like about this game is I am sweating like a pig and then it tells me I only burned 60 calories. Thinking maybe I should do longer sessions if I can manage it

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Got an email from Nintendo UK about being able to pre-order the game. And it looks like its coming back on amazon in a few days.
Looks like they are getting new stock in the UK at least.

Only thing I don't like about this game is I am sweating like a pig and then it tells me I only burned 60 calories. Thinking maybe I should do longer sessions if I can manage it

The calorie estimation in the game is extremely low compared to the real rate you burn calories. My Fitbit tells me I'm usually burning 2x or more calories compared to what the game says.

I basically just try to ignore it.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
The calorie estimation in the game is extremely low compared to the real rate you burn calories. My Fitbit tells me I'm usually burning 2x or more calories compared to what the game says.

I basically just try to ignore it.

Oh really? well that's good to know.
I wonder why it's so off? I thought with the stuff they ask you at the start they would be able to do a pretty good estimate.

Oct 25, 2017
Good game but I'm just imagining a personal training as yappy as Ring while you're doing the thousandth rep of an exercise and I would freak

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh really? well that's good to know.
I wonder why it's so off? I thought with the stuff they ask you at the start they would be able to do a pretty good estimate.

The issue is it doesn't try to estimate or measure your calorie burn rate when you're not actually performing an exercise. Cardio is great for burning calories because it gets your heart rate up, and you burn calories simply by having an elevated heart rate. So it's not taking any of those calories into account, just the literal energy required to physically do each exercise.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
The issue is it doesn't try to estimate or measure your calorie burn rate when you're not actually performing an exercise. Cardio is great for burning calories because it gets your heart rate up, and you burn calories simply by having an elevated heart rate. So it's not taking any of those calories into account, just the literal energy required to physically do each exercise.

Oh interesting. well thanks for the info, feel a bit better about it now haha

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's back up for Pre-order at some places in the UK (Amazon and Nintendo Store at least) got my purchase in on Amazon and delivery seems to be by end of Feb though.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Loving this so far, only complaint is only having 6 exercises available at a time in Adventure Mode... it's so limiting and it feels like I'm missing out on new exercises because I want to keep proven/challenging ones available.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Loving this so far, only complaint is only having 6 exercises available at a time in Adventure Mode... it's so limiting and it feels like I'm missing out on new exercises because I want to keep proven/challenging ones available.

I'm about 30 days in and you do get the ability to unlock a few more. I think I have 7 or 8 available now. I'm not sure if it goes higher than that, but it's nice having a few extra slots.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I agree. I think it should've been eight with harsher recharge times.
I'm about 30 days in and you do get the ability to unlock a few more. I think I have 7 or 8 available now. I'm not sure if it goes higher than that, but it's nice having a few extra slots.

As you keep progressing you get more and more I think I have 9 or 10 at this point, whatever the number is I have more than enough to get the variety and moves I want.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay a couple of questions from me:

1/ This seems very leg focused, do good arm workouts unlock? Press-ups for example?
2/ How much are people doing daily? I clocked 20 minutes but I think it took twice that in real time. Does that seem usual?

Im having fun so far, I'll combine this with my running and see how it goes.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To clarify his point a little, yes good arm exercises unlock (at least subjectively I find them good) but push ups specifically are not in this game.
That's good. I'll do push ups anyway it's just I was a bit worried how bottom heavy the exercises have been so far. The ring is not exactly tough to push and pull (I'm not strong or anything) so it's difficult so far to feel it do anything.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Are you keeping your abs the tightest possible? I watched my boyfriend play a bit, and he kept getting a lot of damage, even though he also had the ring almost touching itself. I told him to really tighten his abs and it finally worked. As the game says, "you have to feel it in your abs, not your arms". If you do it right, you shouldn't be getting more harm than half a heart (sometimes even a quarter) per attack (al least in chapters 1 and 2, haven't played any further yer).

So I've played once since this post and focused on tensing my abs a lot more, and it did seem to work a lot better, thankyou! I was aware you were supposed to do this but clearly wasn't doing it hard enough.

I also have trouble with the heart rate monitor thing at the end of each session. It shows the line going up and down consistently which seems to be working and I touch it as lightly as I can without moving it, but then it's just like "sorry we didn't get that" even though they were displaying it the whole time lol. It literally only works like 10-20% of the time but I've given up on caring and started skipping it because it's so frustrating.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've played once since this post and focused on tensing my abs a lot more, and it did seem to work a lot better, thankyou! I was aware you were supposed to do this but clearly wasn't doing it hard enough.

I also have trouble with the heart rate monitor thing at the end of each session. It shows the line going up and down consistently which seems to be working and I touch it as lightly as I can without moving it, but then it's just like "sorry we didn't get that" even though they were displaying it the whole time lol. It literally only works like 10-20% of the time but I've given up on caring and started skipping it because it's so frustrating.
Heart Rate monitor has always worked for me and most of the time it fits how I feel when doing it so that's weird.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Heart Rate monitor has always worked for me and most of the time it fits how I feel when doing it so that's weird.

Yeah it's weird, in my first session it worked perfectly but has been dodgy ever since. I was following the on screen instructions perfectly and it still doesn't work. I thought it was maybe just a bit shitty but if it works well for others then I'm obviously doing something wrong, will keep fiddling with it

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's good. I'll do push ups anyway it's just I was a bit worried how bottom heavy the exercises have been so far. The ring is not exactly tough to push and pull (I'm not strong or anything) so it's difficult so far to feel it do anything.

I found it pretty easy to push and pull the ring on day one too, but once you up your difficulty a bit and the reps get longer and more are required you really start to feel it in your arms. Especially in some of the shoulder exercises like overhead press.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Was doing a new workout last night and hurt my right knee. Lightly sprained as far as I can tell but still feeling it in the morning after. Made finishing the last level of the night quite annoying.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm getting more out of the arm exercises on intense here than I was from just doing push ups. Or maybe I was just doing them wrong before.

Having to hold each rep is a killer over time.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Crossed over a total of 100 miles jogged the other day. Still haven't missed a day, and am feeling really good about it.

Was bummed to see that the skill tree maxes out at three upgrades though, which I hit pretty early into the first NG+.
I'm Level 287 on Day 88/89 I think.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another thing I was wondering about: does this game give you a daily/weekly quota of any kind?

One of my biggest problems when it comes to exercising is I never know if I'm doing enough in one day. My rule of thumb is basically "go until tired", but when it comes to calorie burning I think I require a more accurate metric.

Would it be the most efficient to use this game alongside an Apple Watch? Then I at least know how many calories I've walked off so far (as well as eaten if I add all my lunch and dinner to My Fitness Pal) while also using this thing?

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Crossed over a total of 100 miles jogged the other day. Still haven't missed a day, and am feeling really good about it.

Was bummed to see that the skill tree maxes out at three upgrades though, which I hit pretty early into the first NG+.
I'm Level 287 on Day 88/89 I think.
That's incredible. Well done! I think I'm on day ~40 or so.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Gonna get it for my son. The Fight on ps3 was what kicked off my healthier lifestyle, now I run multi-day marathon events and ultramarathons (when I'm not addicted to Destiny 2), hope this works for him and gets him off his arse more. It'll probably me that ends up hooked on it.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews for this game got me to pick up a switch and it was a great decision. Love the game, love the system. Hopefully the ring is successful enough that Nintendo makes some other games for it. My kids love it, but the core game is too much for them.

Mar 29, 2018
Reviews for this game got me to pick up a switch and it was a great decision. Love the game, love the system. Hopefully the ring is successful enough that Nintendo makes some other games for it. My kids love it, but the core game is too much for them.
You can create kind of custom game modes right? Specific sets of exercises. Maybe that's good for your kids? Not too intense.

They really thought of everything with this app, imo. It's astounding software design.

Was doing a new workout last night and hurt my right knee. Lightly sprained as far as I can tell but still feeling it in the morning after. Made finishing the last level of the night quite annoying.
If you feel any pain from any exercise, ever - stop immediately. The instant you feel it. You shouldn't have finished that level; you might have just done a ton more damage. (I'm sure you're fine though :P)

I press my thumb against the sensor fairly firmly and it works perfectly every time.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
If you feel any pain from any exercise, ever - stop immediately. The instant you feel it. You shouldn't have finished that level; you might have just done a ton more damage. (I'm sure you're fine though :P)

True. I did at least finish the rest of the level by relying on my left leg and not putting much pressure on my right.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
You can create kind of custom game modes right? Specific sets of exercises. Maybe that's good for your kids? Not too intense.

They really thought of everything with this app, imo. It's astounding software design.

Yeah... my kids are really just too young for what this is offering so something more basic with a few fun loops would be good. But that doesnt detract from how great the tool is or the plethora of options available for my wife and I.

Personally I'd love an RPG or rail shooter that was less about fitness and just used the ring as an input device.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Saw this the other day, and just saw this thread, good timing. Besides the whole fitness aspect, it could be fun for dumb competitions:

I could see some of my rock climbing friends getting into it like that, we've done stuff like hang board or pull up challenges at parties. This would fit right in.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
My wife has gotten into this as well which is great. When one of us is on the bike the other plays the adventure mode. Since we got the bike and this we've gone from no exercise to exercising 4 nights a week each. We take the weekends off but hey it's better than nothing!

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Ignore the instruction about pressing lightly, just grip the joycon as though you were holding something normally and it should work better.

As long as you're not going for a crazy death-grip to crush the controller it's fine.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Chiming in again just to say I love the game. Power 30 attack with squats while wiggling my wrists side to side is a power attack of 80? Get out of here!