• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Do the exercises include any kind of jumping? My downstairs neighbours would probably hate me if I do jumping jacks or something in my apartment.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do the exercises include any kind of jumping? My downstairs neighbours would probably hate me if I do jumping jacks or something in my apartment.
There's no exercices with jumps.

The noisier action is running, but there's a silent mode you can enable (instead you will do some semi-squats to run).

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Not jumping, but if the floor has any creaky boards, avoid them. You'll bob up and down and shift your weight all around, and there are "move energetically" exercises that really encourage this. If I stand in the wrong place I get a lot of creaks and squeaks and not all of them come from my knees.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
There's no exercices with jumps.

The noisier action is running, but there's a silent mode you can enable (instead you will do some semi-squats to run).
Not jumping, but if the floor has any creaky boards, avoid them. You'll bob up and down and shift your weight all around, and there are "move energetically" exercises that really encourage this. If I stand in the wrong place I get a lot of creaks and squeaks and not all of them come from my knees.

Thank you, movement-based exercises are fine.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio

One of them actually does. Knee-Lift Combo has you do individual knee lifts and then jump into a wide squat. (Repeat x times.) Instead of jumping to split my feet for the wide squat, I just do a regular squat with my feet where they land after the knee lifts. You get a similar workout and it's way quieter.

Also, mountain climbers are basically jumping in a horizontal stance. I'd recommend to avoid doing these (plus, the detection for this exercise is pretty whack).

If you're really conscious of noise you might make, a nice, thick yoga mat will help out. I do everything on a 1"-thick pad that I bought on Amazon.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
After about 1.5 years (bought game before Thanksgiving 2019) I've finally cleared World 23! I'm still amazed at how much effort went into this game, and more amazed at how well it made exercising click for me. Growing up I was always the chunky kid who wasn't good at sports, routinely picked last, hated gym class (stretches and gymnastics segments were alright), etc. I tried hitting the gym late in college and then tried again when there was a Planet Fitness on the way to/from work but I never felt comfortable in them between never feeling like I knew what I was doing and frankly I was usually bored with very little in the way of mental stimulation when on the various aerobic machines.

And yet through some dark sorcery this game make exercise enjoyable for me. There's enough mental stimulation from the simple JRPG combat and looking for ingredients and coins when running to keep me fully engaged. I've also been greatly amused at just how positive this game is about exercise without dipping into "gymrat" and "muscle head" territory.

It's made me genuinely interested in how my body feels and I have an appreciation of it for the first time in my near 38 years on this planet. And for that I'm incredibly appreciative for what Nintendo has done with this title. This is easily one of my favorite Switch titles, and I'm so happy I gave it a try and stuck with it.

* For anyone wondering why it took so long, I had started taking yoga classes a few months before I picked up RFA, so I ended up building a weekly schedule of yoga and RFA with day hikes on the weekend. Coupled with some dietary changes I'm in the best shape I've ever been in after about 2 years!

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife just 100%ed this game. New game++ and all side missions on the original adventure.

Pretty amazing, but she's now sad. I can't believe they haven't released DLC for this game. Basically anyone that stuck with it long enough to finish it would almost certainly buy it. She's just kind of replaying missions now.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Uhhhh. Is there some secret thing I just activated? Is this a known thing? My Ring Fit ring just like played a song. I don't know how to get it to do it again cause if I could, I'd record it. I have no idea what just happened.

Barrakketh

Sep 1, 2020
Uhhhh. Is there some secret thing I just activated? Is this a known thing? My Ring Fit ring just like played a song. I don't know how to get it to do it again cause if I could, I'd record it. I have no idea what just happened.
Did you accidentally use multitasking mode or something? I haven't heard an actual song from mine.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Did you accidentally use multitasking mode or something? I haven't heard an actual song from mine.
I dunno. I was just sitting there holding it and it beeped for like 10 seconds straight. I dunno if I'd exactly call it a song but it beeped in a way that I've never heard it beep before in a pattern that kinda sounded like it was trying to play a song.

Oct 27, 2017
I've started having a problem with my ring con where sometimes it gets stuck being registered as pressed. So even when I stop pushing in it still registers as being pushed in.

Anyone else experienced this? Do I need to get a replacement? I've had it for about 8 months, and it started happening a week or so ago.

Adlez

Oct 25, 2017
I've started having a problem with my ring con where sometimes it gets stuck being registered as pressed. So even when I stop pushing in it still registers as being pushed in.

Anyone else experienced this? Do I need to get a replacement? I've had it for about 8 months, and it started happening a week or so ago.
probably late but if you pull outwards slightly at the end of a press cycle, it fixes itself for me. also the new system update seems to help ( could be my imagination)

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yo, this game is legit. My gf bought this and figured it be fun for a bit and be thrown away because it would be yet another gimmicky thing. I've seen the likes of Wii Fit, cleverly executed but just not it.

Decided to give it a go, and damn. It's a solid fucking workout. I'm a relatively fit guy, go to the gym a couple of times a week and I run. I did the first chapter and was honestly pretty tired at the end of it. Good shit this.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Going to be getting back into this. I moved a few months back and started back at work after a 3 month vacation. I've still been hitting the gym and running, so progress has been made regardless!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game today!

Just the first go-around of course. Gonna leave New Game+ for fall/winter.

Holy shit that final boss fight. wtf at that spike in difficulty.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
So... is there a way to make it so the leg strap doesn't slide off my leg? It happens almost instantly even if I tighten it...

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
So... is there a way to make it so the leg strap doesn't slide off my leg? It happens almost instantly even if I tighten it...
I've heard people having luck with various methods;

wearing more rougher clothing so the strap "catches" on it

putting it on your leg then putting your yoga pants/clothes on. It's made for bare legs the best.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Ok Nintendo really need to sort out the calorie counter, it's demoralizing IMO, I know this has probably been discussed to death previously.

Did a 50 min workout from stretching, to game, then final stretching.

Garmin Watch: 485 calories
RFA: 110 calories

Now, if I was using RFA as a measure I would be a) demotivated and b) probably try for more exercise and end up with a serious injury.

I'm not saying they should X4 on this but the disparity is alarming, I personally would find it extremely off-putting if I thought a 50 minute workout (where I had a constant high heart rate and sweating) was only burning 110 calories.

Massive oversight IMO

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ok Nintendo really need to sort out the calorie counter, it's demoralizing IMO, I know this has probably been discussed to death previously.

Now, if I was using RFA as a measure I would be a) demotivated and b) probably try for more exercise and end up with a serious injury.

I'm not saying they should X4 on this but the disparity is alarming, I personally would find it extremely off-putting if I thought a 50 minute workout (where I had a constant high heart rate and sweating) was only burning 110 calories.

Massive oversight IMO

Yeah it's kind of wonky. Funny enough I've also found that Fitness Boxing 2 overcounts calories. Somewhere in between the 2 games is an accurate counter.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Massive oversight IMO

tbh - I think Garmin/Apple over count calories for fitness gaming/other workouts. I think a true number would be somewhere between the two.

Aug 31, 2019
Not to be "that guy", but calorie count in exercise (and on food honestly) is somewhat useless anyway. I can't find the exact papers and articles I've read, but here is something recently from NYT:

For every 100 calories we might expect to burn as a result of working out, most of us will actually net fewer than 72 calories burned ... The study finds that our bodies tend to automatically compensate for at least a quarter of the calories we expend during exercise ... carrying extra pounds unfortunately compounds calorie compensation, making weight loss through exercise even more elusive for those who are already overweight.

What I read at the time, was a study where they had two groups (and a control), one the exercised + dieted, and one that dieted, with both groups losing essentially the same amount of weight. This doesn't mean exercise is meaningless for dieting, it isn't, as it improves mood and motivates you to eat less and better etc, but it's not the calories you burn specifically that matter.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't pay much attention to the calorie counter or the heart monitor on this thing. It's just an aerobic/pilates workout so as long as you are exercising using it for 30 - 60 minutes and getting a good sweat you're getting as much use out of it as there is.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I understand what Cocolina and JustTeaThankYou are saying, and I myself don't pay much attention to calories, or weight, I do it all for mental reasons.

I just think if they insist on feeding this kind of info back to the user, who let's face it will probably find it interesting, they should at least try to get a little closer, it's abnormally low.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't even look at the calorie variable. The only metric I pay attention to is time spent. It's the only metric I can control and that doesn't lie.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Hello Ring Fit peeps

I'm thinking about potentially buying this soon, but the only thing holding me back is the issue of spacing.

How strict is the game in terms of having to play directly infront of the TV? At the moment there's a very heavy coffee table directly infront of my TV/Switch, so I'd have to play the game to the left hand side, if that makes any sense. Will the Joycons be okay with that?

To make things easier I'm going to include a picture of my front room..

20211120_145143.jpg

So as you can see, the big empty area on the left is where I would play the game, but my Switch is over to the right

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Your position relative to the TV doesn't matter. If you can see the screen well enough to play the game, you're golden.

It's not like Kinect where the camera needs to see you.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I'd move the TV to be able to look directly at it, but that's just me! It doesn't need it, but you're going to have an easier time with first person stuff if you can swivel it!

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've actually just tried moving the coffee table and it's not as heavy as I expected so I'll probably end up moving that out the way for every session.

I basically wasted all your time bringing this up 🤣 pls accept my apologies

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
After a while you'll get to know the moves off by heart and will be using the sound to dictate your pace, there are even some exercises that can't be viewed whilst doing (i.e. planks, mountain climber).

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone still playing?

I have bad knees so my previous favourite of HIIT running isn't viable anymore and they felt fucked after a game when I was playing football several years ago too, so that's out. My swimming technique is terrible and lessons are expensive. The gym round here is either expensive or cheap but you have to go during off peak hours.

This game and going on brisk walks is perfect for me right now. Got to level 100 and have a good range of exercises in my fit skills so it feels like a well rounded workout and I have less general aches and pains. Just wish there were better blue exercises, I cannot get mountain climber to work and the only real cardio exercise I like during fights is knee lift.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Your position relative to the TV doesn't matter. If you can see the screen well enough to play the game, you're golden.

It's not like Kinect where the camera needs to see you.
wait...really? Holy shit. My wife needs to hear this. We started using a band gym and im at an LA Fitness on heavyweights. This opens up my flex day from yoga and bands to Ringfit again.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone still playing?

I have bad knees so my previous favourite of HIIT running isn't viable anymore and they felt fucked after a game when I was playing football several years ago too, so that's out. My swimming technique is terrible and lessons are expensive. The gym round here is either expensive or cheap but you have to go during off peak hours.

This game and going on brisk walks is perfect for me right now. Got to level 100 and have a good range of exercises in my fit skills so it feels like a well rounded workout and I have less general aches and pains. Just wish there were better blue exercises, I cannot get mountain climber to work and the only real cardio exercise I like during fights is knee lift.

I was planning to pick it up again in the New Year, I got stuck on a boss fight IIRC. It's a great little "not too much" workout for days when I am working at home.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning to pick it up again in the New Year, I got stuck on a boss fight IIRC. It's a great little "not too much" workout for days when I am working at home.

yeah I've not done more than half an hour in game time too many times, but even 15 minutes breaks off the cobwebs. What Boss? I'm ridiculously l overlevelled now on World 11 now because I spent too long getting 100 percent on the previous worlds.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Anyone still playing?

five times a week, yeah

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
I dropped it like one and a half year ago after beating the game on max difficulty. I tried to pick it up in spring. Gradually increased the intensity until I could do max difficulty again, but stopped soon after. Now I am slowly getting back in the game. I do custom sets 3-4 times a week now, and I feel like I am about to be ready for story mode again at a lower intensity.

Aug 31, 2019
I want to pick it up again, but I'm recovering from a running injury. I know you can turn the running off and replace it was weird bouncing squats, but it's not the same.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I kinda pick it up in bits.

I really really really really want them to do something else with the ring. I think it's ripe for more games.