• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That world 11 boss level...

Not the boss itself, the like 15 goddamn pinwheel doors before them. Jesus.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Got the game two days ago and have been loving it! I did experience some weird issues in World 2 though.

When I unlocked the swiveling move(the one where you move the ring-con side to side) it didn't seem to register my movements sometimes. Also while doing the minigame, there were latency issues. I would spin and squeeze and the game would take like a second or two to do it(basically making me miss some of the hits).

Has anyone experienced this? I also just got the switch so i'm not sure if this is an issue with the joy-cons?

Some Bluetooth interference nearby?

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I did 15 minutes in the morning (or it was 18? I don´t remember well), something like 78 calories burned I think. During my vacations last week I was playing during the late evening, but honestly I want workout before go to my work.

I wanted finish World 3 but it was too much for me, but at least I did some workout. It's kinda nice you can run off battles and still get experiences.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, around world 10+ is when the levels before the boss start getting tough! world 13 got me good with that :'D i was so sore

One of the previous worlds (8? maybe?) had a gauntlet of trampolines in the boss world too. They just like to shove like 15-20 pain in the ass obstacles before the boss for some reason, I guess to make it feel like it's hard to get to the boss.

Though the world 11 boss fight itself was awesome, one of the coolest ones in the game so far.

Also I finally did a couple of those 100% minigame requests, and they are definitely annoying.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
One of the previous worlds (8? maybe?) had a gauntlet of trampolines in the boss world too. They just like to shove like 15-20 pain in the ass obstacles before the boss for some reason, I guess to make it feel like it's hard to get to the boss.

And also to make it feel easier to replay the boss. The bosses I've lost to gave me the option to start directly at the boss on the 2nd try.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Though the world 11 boss fight itself was awesome, one of the coolest ones in the game so far.

Oooh yeah, some of these courses are getting so exhausting that I actually welcome any enemies on the horizon. Allows me to catch a breath lol

Honestly believe this is genius game design by the creators. The boss run up (even if it's only a few steps) makes sure you are all warmed up.

Gotta account for people who don't do warm ups and directly face Dragaux.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
And also to make it feel easier to replay the boss. The bosses I've lost to gave me the option to start directly at the boss on the 2nd try.

Somehow I've still never lost to a boss. I think I get overcautious and use smoothies any time I might be close to low health. Especially since you can buy like 100 units of Spinach for 500 gold and be set forever.

Oooh yeah, some of these courses are getting so exhausting that I actually welcome any enemies on the horizon. Allows me to catch a breath lol

Honestly believe this is genius game design by the creators. The boss run up (even if it's only a few steps) makes sure you are all warmed up.

Gotta account for people who don't do warm ups and directly face Dragaux.

That makes sense. And it makes me hate the designers when I choose to do a boss battle at the end of my session but whatever.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Was getting really frustrated with the Russian Twists yesterday because about 10% of the time, the ring-con/joycon refused to detect me twisting my body.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Same question to you: some Bluetooth interference nearby?

Nope, not that I can think of. It was only the Russian Twists that I was having trouble with, I don't know if it was a problem with my joycon. I have a second pair of joycons that I might try it out with to see if it's a joycon issue.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Was getting really frustrated with the Russian Twists yesterday because about 10% of the time, the ring-con/joycon refused to detect me twisting my body.

I noticed I was having trouble tracking that one perfectly too, until I realized it expects you to keep your arms fully extended the entire time, so that the arc the ring travels is much longer.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I did a full set of leg raises yesterday without letting my feet touch the floor. It felt like my abs were exploding holy shit. I really recommend everyone work up to doing that at least once.
Also if anyone has the Boat Pose that is really intense if you keep your legs and back from touching the ground and don't bounce up. I just wish it had more reps, its one of my favorite attacks.

I'm starting to see and feel the ab definition I'm building from this game but I need to get rid of all the fat around it first lol

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed I was having trouble tracking that one perfectly too, until I realized it expects you to keep your arms fully extended the entire time, so that the arc the ring travels is much longer.

This could be it, I'll try it out tonight with my arms extending fully throughout the exercise.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
So which exercises is everyone having the most trouble with, either in terms of form or reps required?

For legs, I still can't get used to the non-wide squats. I don't know what it is, I've always done squats with barbells and those pretty much require a wide stance so these feel weird to me. Am I supposed to be squatting like a baseball catcher?

For arms, the bow pull always makes me feel like I'm pulling it apart with both arms rather than only pulling it back with my triceps/delts. It would be better if I had something to hook the ring around rather than holding it myself.

For abs, mountain climbers. I just can't get the motion down.

For yoga, the crescent lunge. It says the ring should almost touch/hook my knee when turning but I can't even get close to that low. In fact, any exercise that requires me to keep one knee bent makes my forward knee feel like it's on fire.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I did a full set of leg raises yesterday without letting my feet touch the floor. It felt like my abs were exploding holy shit. I really recommend everyone work up to doing that at least once.
Also if anyone has the Boat Pose that is really intense if you keep your legs and back from touching the ground and don't bounce up. I just wish it had more reps, its one of my favorite attacks.

I'm starting to see and feel the ab definition I'm building from this game but I need to get rid of all the fat around it first lol

I LOVE the boat pose, specifically because the first time I tried it I could do maybe one or two full reps of it before collapsing, but now I can do a full set of 8, like a week later.

Constantly being reminded of my progress is a great feeling. And I agree, I wish it had more reps sometimes. All of the yoga stuff I wish had more reps.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell, 2 days in and my thighs are on fire. I've hated any type of at home workout but damn this makes the time just fly.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So which exercises is everyone having the most trouble with, either in terms of form or reps required?

For legs, I still can't get used to the non-wide squats. I don't know what it is, I've always done squats with barbells and those pretty much require a wide stance so these feel weird to me. Am I supposed to be squatting like a baseball catcher?

For arms, the bow pull always makes me feel like I'm pulling it apart with both arms rather than only pulling it back with my triceps/delts. It would be better if I had something to hook the ring around rather than holding it myself.

For yoga, the crescent lunge. It says the ring should almost touch/hook my knee when turning but I can't even get close to that low. In fact, any exercise that requires me to keep one knee bent makes my forward knee feel like it's on fire.

Legs - Mountain Climber sucks bad.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I can't figure out mountain climbers or planks even. It just doesn't like my leg movements for those exercises.

Everything else I don't really have much trouble with. I guess the tree pose can be tough to hold depending on how tired I am but it's only a few reps thankfully. Squats and wide squats can go to hell but I don't really struggle with the form of them. J

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Was kinda hard for me to unlearn all the habits that I built up over 1000s of hours of gaming.
In my video game sessions I always try to reach a checkpoint/bonfire/milestone before I quit.

So when I started Ring Fit that mentality gave me a ton of problems. Did 3 attempts at World 2 Draugaux even tho I was tired.
I got sloppy and impatient with my reps. Also tried to cut corners by using the skills that came easiest to me.
tl;dr I didn't have fun and the next day I felt super fucked up.

Now I'm doing 30 in game minutes and rather increase the difficulty than my session time.

it's going great so far. I use Ring Fit 6 times per week and my body feels great.

I obviously took more heed of your post than I thought because I bumped my difficulty level up to nine today and stopped when I had done 33 minutes. Nine wasn't as brutal as I feared, thankfully, until I hit mountain climbers for the first time in the game. I always disliked these when I was younger and very fit; now, I utterly despise them! They are straight-up evil! 😡 I had to laugh when Ring kept imploring me to get my knees right up to my chest. Nope, not going to happen; I've got a comfortable old man paunch to get past here! Still, I managed to do them in all in the end even though I had to stop several times to do so. Amazingly I was still given full points for them and got my first S in a minigame 😃 . Apart from that I actually enjoyed the tougher workout but after half an hour I was done. I am glad I had a day of rest and kept to a shorter session today as I have that lovely after exercise glow of wellbeing again. I think I'm going to stick to this approach and see how I get on. My level is in the early 30s now so not too much longer until I get to take more exercises into battle with me. My game progress will be slower due to this but the benefits make it worth it.

ZiggyPalffyLA Everyone's body is different so don't worry if you can't do them absolutely perfectly; just do what you can without straining yourself unduly. Improvements will naturally come. I got this exercise tip screen in the game funnily enough. Sound advice. Also, I don't think I have come across the crescent lunge yet but with any exercise where I have to put my leg forward and the other back and then lower my body, I tend to put my weight too far forward and get my knee over my feet which is not good for the knees as it puts too much pressure on them. If this exercise is like that then be careful of your weight distribution so you don't wreck your knees.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
ZiggyPalffyLA Everyone's body is different so don't worry if you can't do them absolutely perfectly; just do what you can without straining yourself unduly. Improvements will naturally come. I got this exercise tip screen in the game funnily enough. Sound advice. Also, I don't think I have come across the crescent lunge yet but with any exercise where I have to put my leg forward and the other back and then lower my body, I tend to put my weight too far forward and get my knee over my feet which is not good for the knees as it puts too much pressure on them. If this exercise is like that then be careful of your weight distribution so you don't wreck your knees.

Thank you, I think that's my issue. And thanks for the good advice!

One of my issues with mountain climbers is that if you decide to take a break in between reps by lying down, it continues registering you doing reps. I noticed this first in the leg gym where it kept giving me 0s every few seconds while I was resting. I ended up with an 87 average thanks to that and had to do it all over again for the quest...ugh.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

One of my issues with mountain climbers is that if you decide to take a break in between reps by lying down, it continues registering you doing reps. I noticed this first in the leg gym where it kept giving me 0s every few seconds while I was resting. I ended up with an 87 average thanks to that and had to do it all over again for the quest...ugh.

Thankfully I scored enough 100's in the other activities, that the mountain climber didn't hurt me.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017

The squats kill me. I have tight hamstring and i've always been lazy to stretch them so day one killed me and yesterday I was so sore I just avoided doing them because I was afraid i would over-exert myself and injure them. Luckily, while i'm still sore, i'm feeling much better!

I'll see how I feel tonight but I might take extra precaution and skip them today and do other leg workouts.

Aside from that I think I just need to stretch my shoulders a little before starting because I def struggle on the chair pose when getting my arms up(previous injury from work).

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Guys you just made me ordered this game today. Sorry if I skip the answer in this thread but can you set a calories-burn goal per play/day since the beginning?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn I'm gonna be dummy thicc eventually from this game. Squats for daaaaaays

I think I need to step the difficulty up. I've been playing about 25 mins of exercise time each day and that comes out to about 200 calories. I think I should probably do more (I'm at difficulty level 10 I think). If I take breaks, I can probably go for a higher intensity.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn I'm gonna be dummy thicc eventually from this game. Squats for daaaaaays

I think I need to step the difficulty up. I've been playing about 25 mins of exercise time each day and that comes out to about 200 calories. I think I should probably do more (I'm at difficulty level 10 I think). If I take breaks, I can probably go for a higher intensity.

Just a note, the calorie counter is not accurate at all. It stops counting completely even in the seconds between each rep, assuming you're not burning calories just by having an elevated heart rate.

But yeah it's always worth it to evaluate whether or not you could raise the difficulty a bit. I've been raising it by 1 every week or so.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

If you're in somewhat shape I say bump it up to 20+ honestly. I'm only a little in shape from my years of playing ddr + years of drinking beer and I started at 22 and it was a good challenge. I'm playing on 25 right now, It's tiring but lower than 22 I think would not even be a workout for me.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Played the game for two days... needed to take a break yesterday. My legs still feel sore, but at least I can walk straight now. Damn, I'm really out of shape...
I might re-calibrate the running speeds, since I ran kinda hard the first time before realizing the game also wants you to run extra-hard at times.

woo

Nov 11, 2017

Pleasure 😼 .

Ouch! I rested upright so I dodged a bullet there!

Guys you just made me ordered this game today. Sorry if I skip the answer in this thread but can you set a calories-burn goal per play/day since the beginning?

You are more likely to get slightly smaller legs but better defined ones from RFA than bodybuilder legs. No-one will get swole from RFA. It takes a lot of time, massive amounts of effort lifting heavy weights and good nutrition to do that.

Also, the game only estimates calories burnt from the time actively doing exercise. It does not give any credit for those burnt from the elevated heart rate and so on. Any calorie counting consumer device is estimating calories burnt so don't rely on it as an accurate amount. Go from how you feel and be assured that progress will come.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Somehow I've still never lost to a boss. I think I get overcautious and use smoothies any time I might be close to low health. Especially since you can buy like 100 units of Spinach for 500 gold and be set forever.

That makes sense. And it makes me hate the designers when I choose to do a boss battle at the end of my session but whatever.

A boss killed me once when I messed up a mega guard and got one-shotted. But I had a Peach Smoothie and came back.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A boss killed me once when I messed up a mega guard and got one-shotted. But I had a Peach Smoothie and came back.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about peach smoothies. I must have like 10 of them by now.

I guess no dying for me! Except maybe for those levels where I'm not allowed to use a smoothie (only one such level so far though).

woo

Nov 11, 2017

I had to do my first mega guard today. The really strong compression of the ring didn't faze me as I do that more times than not with the default ab guard. Sometimes an enemy attack will only take about an eighth of a heart off me if I really go for it. No, that was ok, but the wide squat? FML

I have no idea what a Peach smoothie is but can infer it from the context. Something else to look forward to!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about peach smoothies. I must have like 10 of them by now.

I guess no dying for me! Except maybe for those levels where I'm not allowed to use a smoothie (only one such level so far though).

Used the healing moves for those. I used them over Smoothies when I have the chance I get workout while heal.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I had to do my first mega guard today. The really strong compression of the ring didn't faze me as I do that more times than not with the default ab guard. Sometimes an enemy attack will only take about an eighth of a heart off me if I really go for it. No, that was ok, but the wide squat? FML

I have no idea what a Peach smoothie is but can infer it from the context. Something else to look forward to!

Yeah the mega ab guard + wide squat hold is SUPER intense. The second time I had to do it I almost blacked out when I stood back up.

There are some other mega guard moves that come along later that are much, much easier (and more fun).

Used the healing moves for those. I used them over Smoothies when I have the chance I get workout while heal.

Yeah I started doing that on that level too. It's a lot more fun than just popping smoothies too.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

My problem is I have a big gut, so squirting while pressing the ring against my gut is freaking hard. Especially holding it for several seconds.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
skittzo0413 The normal squats I can handle as long as there are not too many of them which there aren't at my current difficulty level. I did a lot of them a few years ago for the 200 squats in a month book (or whatever it is) that the old forum turned me on to. My body seems to remember that and not give me too hard of a time on them but those wide ones are really brutal. An infrequent occurrence of those would be most welcome. I shall look forward to the other guard moves. Damn, fitness + RPG, who knew it would be such a winning combination?!

HeroR Big gut and squirting; my mind is going into NSFW territory!

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Dang, how can I switch it to silent mode after the first level? I can't find the option. My dropfoot doesn't seem to agree with running in place.

Dec 2, 2017
77419477_532067080966920_6877764734356029440_o.jpg

Squats are hard but I find them quite satisfying to do?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
skittzo0413 The normal squats I can handle as long as there are not too many of them which there aren't at my current difficulty level. I did a lot of them a few years ago for the 200 squats in a month book (or whatever it is) that the old forum turned me on to. My body seems to remember that and not give me too hard of a time on them but those wide ones are really brutal. An infrequent occurrence of those would be most welcome. I shall look forward to the other guard moves. Damn, fitness + RPG, who knew it would be such a winning combination?!

Meant squats, lol.

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017

The starter overhead arm presses demolish me. I'm torn because they don't do a ton of damage comparatively, and doing them wipes me out, but I also feel like I need to choose them more because I'm so bad at them. It's not often, but at times like that, I feel like the "gaminess" of Ring Fit is at odds with the ultimate goal of doing a good workout. 'Course, I'm sure once I get a little father in the game, there will be something else that I'll be terrible at that also has good scaling damage.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah squats in general gave me trouble on my first day of this but not too much after that. But the wide squat hold + abdominal press just absolutely wrecks me. I think it's a combination of the squeezing with both my arms and abs, the wide squat itself, watching the "hold" gauge slowly fill up, plus watching the attack and praying it doesn't kill me so that I have to start the battle over which just gives it an intensity unlike anything else I've done in this game.

In fact it was probably the moment I realized this game was truly immersive.

Or, at least, extended in the same position you began in, yes.

Yeah, it might be that. I probably had a tendency to bend my elbows and bring my arms in a bit as I repeated that exercise for like 35-40 reps. Just focusing on keeping my arms extended helped immensely.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
i can handle the wide squat mega guard pretty okay (the last 5 seconds or so are a little tougher and i'm glad to stop, but it's not worse than that), but the absolute worst of the mega guards for me is
the leg raise one... i'm not even halfway through and i can feel my entire body shaking from trying to keep my legs up haha

The starter overhead arm presses demolish me. I'm torn because they don't do a ton of damage comparatively, and doing them wipes me out, but I also feel like I need to choose them more because I'm so bad at them. It's not often, but at times like that, I feel like the "gaminess" of Ring Fit is at odds with the ultimate goal of doing a good workout. 'Course, I'm sure once I get a little father in the game, there will be something else that I'll be terrible at that also has good scaling damage.

yeah, not only will there be new exercises that you might find tough, but you'll eventually get higher level versions of each move (including the overhead arm press), so you'll be cycling through them a bunch!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
i can handle the wide squat mega guard pretty okay (the last 5 seconds or so are a little tougher and i'm glad to stop, but it's not worse than that), but the absolute worst of the mega guards for me is
the leg raise one... i'm not even halfway through and i can feel my entire body shaking from trying to keep my legs up haha

I just did that one for the first time today and for some reason it wasn't too bad. I think it's because I had been focusing on pushing myself with various ab exercises for the past couple weeks since I could barely even do 1 rep of the boat pose when I first got it.