• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Me and my girlfriend absolutely love the game but sadly we can only do it twice a week since we don't live together :(

How are you guys burning so much calories? We're only in world 3 but the missions don't burn that much calories, at least according to their estimates
Does it really get so much more intense later on?

It starts to ramp up shortly after where you are now. Not precipitously but it's noticeable. The first three or so worlds are designed to ease the player in to the game, I think. Of course, you always have the option of putting the difficulty level up but unless you are uber fit already you will probably naturally want to do that as you go along because you get incrementally fitter. I was on a difficulty level of 1 on my first day and am now at 14 and that's after just over two weeks of playing 20 mins per day (not including rest days). However, all that being said, I would really not stress about the calories aspect at all if I were you. It is only an estimate and from all accounts is very much on the low side. All consumer devices that give readings for calories burnt are inevitably estimating so none of them should be taken as gospel but a general guide. RFA seems to only give credit for the actual exercise time and not for the calories burnt from increased heart rate in between the actual exertion from exercising. I don't even look at the calories aspect in RFA tbh. I have lost some weight and feel so much fitter so I must have burnt more calories than I was eating but I have not monitored them at all. Sorry, you can only do it twice a week but am glad that you're having fun 🐱.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my girlfriend absolutely love the game but sadly we can only do it twice a week since we don't live together :(

How are you guys burning so much calories? We're only in world 3 but the missions don't burn that much calories, at least according to their estimates
Does it really get so much more intense later on?

It depends heavily on the intensity level you're set at.

Also I think the game values running/sprinting as burning a higher amount of calories so later on you'll get some longer levels with a lot of running and other activities besides battling that seem to count more for their calorie tracker.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Man, screw World 16. Salty that one of the challenges forces you to do Mount Climbing, something I can't even get the register based on my setup. So I had to cheese it and do a run in place motion.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
OMG is it me or does Tipp move a little too frigging fast on the Squat Combo Lift move where you raise the ring, lower to a slight squat then do it like 2 times bouncing up and down like a maniac? I mean seriously, I struggle keep up and it affects my form, there's no way you should have to move that fast - it seems excessive.

As a side note, I'm 41 and I feel like I'm gradually getting better at the yoga, but very slowly, and some of the stretches at the end, there is no way I can bend over and touch my toes or stretch as much as they tell you to.

So my question is, will any of that improve or is it just my age and I will always have that limited balance and flexibilty?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
OMG is it me or does Tipp move a little too frigging fast on the Squat Combo Lift move where you raise the ring, lower to a slight squat then do it like 2 times bouncing up and down like a maniac? I mean seriously, I struggle keep up and it affects my form, there's no way you should have to move that fast - it seems excessive.

As a side note, I'm 41 and I feel like I'm gradually getting better at the yoga, but very slowly, and some of the stretches at the end, there is no way I can bend over and touch my toes or stretch as much as they tell you to.

So my question is, will any of that improve or is it just my age and I will always have that limited balance and flexibilty?

He does, lol. I ignore it pretty much and go at a pace I can cope with. The game still registers my movements so I don't care that I'm not going as fast as he is. I'm going as fast as I can without falling over dammit!

Me too; I'm 54 and I can't do the Tree pose. There's just no way I can get my foot up on my thigh without falling over so I don't even do it anymore. Hopefully I'll be able to do it at some point but I've got other exercises I can do instead so it's not a biggie.

I can't get anywhere near my toes either but just go as far as I can without straining myself and relax into it. I have found that like you my flexibility is gradually improving so I content myself with that. I'm sure that our balance and flexibility will continue to gradually improve. We may not ever get back to what was possible for us in our youth but that's okay. We'll still be far better off than most at our age and we will feel all the better for it. I'm trying to enjoy the journey and not think about the ultimate destination too much.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you're talking about Ring Raise Combo 1, you're not supposed to squat really, just slightly bend your knees. If you're talking aobut Ring Raise Combo 2, that's a bit trickier. I'm able to do it but it's fast.

Also, side note, screw Boat Pose. Only Yoga one where I struggle since it's a Crunch/Knees to Chest combo that you have to do slowly.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
It starts to ramp up shortly after where you are now. Not precipitously but it's noticeable. The first three or so worlds are designed to ease the player in to the game, I think. Of course, you always have the option of putting the difficulty level up but unless you are uber fit already you will probably naturally want to do that as you go along because you get incrementally fitter. I was on a difficulty level of 1 on my first day and am now at 14 and that's after just over two weeks of playing 20 mins per day (not including rest days). However, all that being said, I would really not stress about the calories aspect at all if I were you. It is only an estimate and from all accounts is very much on the low side. All consumer devices that give readings for calories burnt are inevitably estimating so none of them should be taken as gospel but a general guide. RFA seems to only give credit for the actual exercise time and not for the calories burnt from increased heart rate in between the actual exertion from exercising. I don't even look at the calories aspect in RFA tbh. I have lost some weight and feel so much fitter so I must have burnt more calories than I was eating but I have not monitored them at all. Sorry, you can only do it twice a week but am glad that you're having fun 🐱.
It depends heavily on the intensity level you're set at.

Also I think the game values running/sprinting as burning a higher amount of calories so later on you'll get some longer levels with a lot of running and other activities besides battling that seem to count more for their calorie tracker.

Thank you both!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously love the challenges/requests that ask you to do a battle gym using only one type of exercise, it's a really nice change of pace that gets you using exercises you haven't touched in a while/ever.

I think his pace actually depends on the type of fight you're in. I've noticed he moves a lot faster in boss fights where the music tempo is faster for instance.

But yeah you don't need to actually match his pace at all I believe.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I seriously love the challenges/requests that ask you to do a battle gym using only one type of exercise, it's a really nice change of pace that gets you using exercises you haven't touched in a while/ever.

I think his pace actually depends on the type of fight you're in. I've noticed he moves a lot faster in boss fights where the music tempo is faster for instance.

But yeah you don't need to actually match his pace at all I believe.

I'll give it a go next time, and try to generally ignore his erratic antics :D

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
In general, and in ring raise combo #2, Tipp is a bit slow for me. But I'm always ready to get each movement over with.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
After saying earlier that I don't do the Tree pose I played RFA and of course, it made me do it. I just stood on two legs instead 😁 .

I normally do 20 mins of exercise but yesterday I did 30 and today I did 40. Time to put the difficulty level up methinks so I did the questions again and I put me up form 14 to 19! 😲 Tomorrow is going to be fun! I wonder how long I'll last before I manually reduce it.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got back on this tonight for the first time in a week. I don't know what was happening with the HD rumble in my cons but it was going crazy earlier. When I was trying to do some thigh crunch things, the ring kept nearly vibrating its way out from between my knees.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I've lost 10 pounds since RFA has come out. Of course the vast vast majority of that is from diet, but the game makes me feel good. :)

Qronicle

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
Today I played in world 5 which has the leg gym, and had my first encounter with the mountain climber exercise.
Holy shit, you guys weren't lying about this. This was the first exercise where I really started sweating like crazy. Can't wait to have it as an attack!

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Mountain climber can go jump off a cliff until I'm ready to use it in battle. I did like the way they drop it casually into world 5 just as you start to feel like you can handle what the game throws at you, and then you are reminded you haven't seen nothing lol

I've done that exercise 3 times and fell to the floor without finishing every time!

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
speaking of mountain climbers, does anyone have trouble getting them to register? i can't tell if i'm doing them wrong or something but no matter what i do it feels like it's random whether i get 100 or 20 points for a given rep. i have this issue with a couple of the "faster" exercises (like the ring raise combos) but mountain climbers are probably the worst offender

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
speaking of mountain climbers, does anyone have trouble getting them to register? i can't tell if i'm doing them wrong or something but no matter what i do it feels like it's random whether i get 100 or 20 points for a given rep. i have this issue with a couple of the "faster" exercises (like the ring raise combos) but mountain climbers are probably the worst offender

That's me. Mountain Climber and the knee lifts on the floor don't register for me. And when they do, they score like a 10.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
That's me. Mountain Climber and the knee lifts on the floor don't register for me. And when they do, they score like a 10.
i've never had issues with knee lifts so far personally! but yeah the random non-registering or registering for 20-40 frequently happens with the mountain climbers for me. sometimes it'll give me scores *between* reps too and those are usually around 10-20

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I've not had any issues with registering leg strap movements. Could be a sign of an iffy joycon? Where are you putting the leg strap?

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
I've not had any issues with registering leg strap movements. Could be a sign of an iffy joycon? Where are you putting the leg strap?
i'm not sure it's a joycon/leg strap thing because almost all other exercises involving legs register fine for me. i have it roughly halfway up my thigh (or a tiny bit lower but by like an inch tops) and reasonably centered, and for example i've never had any trouble with the exercises involving squats, which seem to be the main ones to cause trouble with bad leg strap placement.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
i'm not sure it's a joycon/leg strap thing because almost all other exercises involving legs register fine for me. i have it roughly halfway up my thigh (or a tiny bit lower but by like an inch tops) and reasonably centered, and for example i've never had any trouble with the exercises involving squats, which seem to be the main ones to cause trouble with bad leg strap placement.

That's strange. I assume it moves as expected on the title screen? If so then that sounds like an issue with the software which would be strange as well.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's strange. I assume it moves as expected on the title screen? If so then that sounds like an issue with the software which would be strange as well.

I have the same issue with mountain climbers not registering for me and absolutely nothing else.

I'm guessing it's a combination of improper form and placement of the leg strap for that particular exercise.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been going at this on and off for 10 sessions now. I'm up to world 5.

Does anyone know if this game allows upgrades to the attack power of "older" fit skills? For example, will there be a permanent way to increase the attack power of the generic squat to more than 30? It's such a good skill from an exercise standpoint but so incredibly weak from a gameplay standpoint.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland

Does anyone know if this game allows upgrades to the attack power of "older" fit skills? For example, will there be a permanent way to increase the attack power of the generic squat to more than 30? It's such a good skill from an exercise standpoint but so incredibly weak from a gameplay standpoint.
yep! you get upgraded versions of skills as you progress through the game, it'll be a separate skill called "squats level 2" and so on and so forth

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

You get stronger versions of every exercise a bit later on. And then stronger versions of those later.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Today I got a cooldown tip that said I should have a look at my body in a mirror to see if I could see any difference. LOL, NO! I accidentally saw myself full length in a mirror a few weeks ago and it was not a flattering sight. Once I've lost about a fifth of my current weight I might think about it.

I finally got back on this tonight for the first time in a week. I don't know what was happening with the HD rumble in my cons but it was going crazy earlier. When I was trying to do some thigh crunch things, the ring kept nearly vibrating its way out from between my knees.

It does this to tell you that you are pushing the Ringcon too far in or applying pressure to the wrong part of it. Check that you have the joycon at the top (and not to the left like it would be for an abpress) and use your hands, either side of the joycon to hold it steady. Try that and see how you get on.

I've lost 10 pounds since RFA has come out. Of course the vast vast majority of that is from diet, but the game makes me feel good. :)

👍

Today I played in world 5 which has the leg gym, and had my first encounter with the mountain climber exercise.
Holy shit, you guys weren't lying about this. This was the first exercise where I really started sweating like crazy. Can't wait to have it as an attack!

That exercise is banned in my household 😡. I will have to lose a good amount of weight and have far better cardio fitness before I think that unbanning it would be anything like a good idea.

Try moving the legstrap to only just above your knee and ensure that the joycon is pointing straight ahead or even slightly to the inside of the thigh. Also, check the line of sight to the tablet and consider whether there is any wireless signal interference nearby e.g router.

Leg strap keeps on coming loose for me.

You know that it's elastic, right? It has an awful lot of stretch to it so you should be able to adjust it so that it doesn't. It really helps to wear some sort of leggings or long shorts too. If you have it on a bare leg then it is much more prone to slippage.

I'm such a prat. I've only just realised you can set fit skills mid level!

LOL, EVERYONE knows that!

Good to know, thanks!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait... What?? I guess that's not SUPER valuable but it's cool nonetheless.

You can access the menu while running. It's not super useful since you aren't aware of the type of enemies but if you notice 4-5 enemies you can pause and bring up the fit skill menu to specialize it.

I don't use it because...well ever since I got it I've been doing the various set gyms (Leg Gym, Ab Gym, etc) as well as grinding for ingredients for smoothies so I'm 30 levels ahead of the actual so I kill most enemies in one hit and bosses in like 2...On the plus side this has been great for me calorie burning wise!

Oct 25, 2017
Still with it! I've exercised 4-5 times a week with RFA. I've made it to world 5 and I'm almost level 30. I've been creeping the difficulty up and I'm finally at the point where I feel sore, so I'm psyched about that. Haven't noticed any physical changes but I've only been at it for 3 weeks and I know that takes time. My blood pressure is still pretty high so hopefully I'll see some changes there as well!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
My first day at difficulty level 19 today. A big jump up from 14 but not as overwhelming as I had feared. I managed 30 minutes so I'm pretty chuffed at that. I am interested to see how sore I'll be tomorrow. I actually enjoyed the harder workout and it seems surreal that I started on difficulty level one less than a month ago.

Oh and thank you skittzo0413 for mentioning the Fitbit Inspire HR. Your feedback made me reconsider it and I realised that it was pretty much perfect for my current needs. I have been using it for a couple of days now and have to say that that assessment is pretty much spot on. I love the little thing! I have been slowly delving into the Fitbit App and it now has me tracking my food and water intake; the barcode scanner really helps with that. I am not sure that I could be happier with it ❤ .

Still with it! I've exercised 4-5 times a week with RFA. I've made it to world 5 and I'm almost level 30. I've been creeping the difficulty up and I'm finally at the point where I feel sore, so I'm psyched about that. Haven't noticed any physical changes but I've only been at it for 3 weeks and I know that takes time. My blood pressure is still pretty high so hopefully I'll see some changes there as well!

Nice! 🐱 I bet you feel much better in yourself though, right? Keep at it!

Oh wow nobody told me that Dragaux in world 15 becomes a
Platinumgames boss

Not looking. Not looking. That's only a couple of weeks away. Not looking.

👀

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Leg strap keeps on coming loose for me.

This used to happen to me too.

I wear compression shorts while working out and started I wearing them over the leg strap(instead of putting the leg strap over my gym shorts) and it's made a huge difference. Now my leg strap doesn't move at all.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Guys if you come across Leg Scissors I implore you do not, I repeat, do not set them. My legs have never moved like that for the simple reason they've never had to apart from before I could walk maybe. If you cherish your groin area at all then heed this warning.

Put it this way, I changed it for planks after trying them once, and I'm shit at planks.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Guys if you come across Leg Scissors I implore you do not, I repeat, do not set them. My legs have never moved like that for the simple reason they've never had to apart from before I could walk maybe. If you cherish your groin area at all then heed this warning.

Put it this way, I changed it for planks after trying them once, and I'm shit at planks.
Ha! Noted!

I just did "wide squats" for the first time and was like...

1-10 reps - "oh...these are easier than normal squats"

10 - godknowshowmany reps - "GAAAAAAAH!"

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

How far apart are you moving your legs? It shouldn't be hurting your groin I don't think.

I've had no issues with that exercise.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
How far apart are you moving your legs? It shouldn't be hurting your groin I don't think.

I've had no issues with that exercise.

It's just not a movement I'm natural with. I will give it another go when I feel ready but right now I don't think I am. It's a fairly brisk exercise so it's difficult not to widen the gap a bit too much.

I'm going to practice it before attempting it again that's all I know.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Found out today that both sidesteps and calf raises are read by the game as "running" when using silent mode, seems like a nice way to up the intensity of the running sections while also alleviating some of the knee strain of doing a million billion squats.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
For the past 3 days I've woken up a bit coldy and said to myself "okay, I'll work out for a bit, but I'll take it easy and won't push myself."

Then I do an hour+ each day and I'm drenched in sweat. Whoops.

But to be honest for as crappy as I feel when I wake up and before exercising, I feel so much better WHILE I'm working out. Like, all of my nose and throat congestion is all gone after I start working up a sweat. It's a great feeling.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Got to do mountain climbers for the first time tonight... those are NOT fun, and they also took a long time to get started as I could not get that 3 2 1 countdown to get going.

Also, I love how op the arm twist thing is.

Deleted member 51646

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Is there a way to just measure my pulse without going through an adventure level? Sometimes I exercise using a custom mix and it automatically added stretches for me but I don't see a way to include pulse measurement.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Rest day for me today. I would probably play but I have a friend coming to see me in a while and I could probably do with the rest. I got to the end of world 11 IIRC yesterday and looked at Dragaux's final fight screen to see if I could fit him in as I had a few minutes left in my allotted time for the day and quickly noped out
17 minutes!?!
. No, he can wait until I am well-rested tomorrow. I might even reach level 100 tomorrow 😁 . I hope everyone is still having fun and enjoying moving their body!

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'm currently racking up 30-40 mins daily except weekends and still enjoying it, I actually can't wait to play through it again, I'm hoping the + games mean you can replay on a higher challenge to still maintain the tough workouts, and there's loads of moves I haven't mastered yet, there's so much scale in this game and I'm now looking forward to the next year to see how much progress I can make on a fitness level. This isn't just about the game anymore.

Ring makes me laugh sometimes and others makes me cry, it's funny when he says "good night" after defeating an enemy, but sometimes he needs to show more tact.

After completing a battle perhaps finishing on a tough plank or mountain climbers workout, you fall to floor in a puddle of sweat, feeling like you're going to die, then ring says:
"MOVING YOUR BODY FEELS GREAT, RIGHT?"

Then there's the downright creepy things he says, like:
"YOUR SWEAT IS SO SHINY AND BEAUTIFUL!"

Seriously ring, seriously...

nkarafo

Dec 18, 2019
Hello!
I am new to resetEra and new to RFA. I bought RFA mostly because of you, where I have read here numerous positive comments / posts about this game! I am glad that I bought it and thank you very much for this !
I have some questions by the way:
1) When I defend myself (abs) do I have to press the Ring very strongly to my stomach? Is there any difference with the strength to the damage or I will lose the standard damage every time?
2) When I do the exercises with the Ring and see that the hero is on fire, do I have to press the Ring inside again to the limit or extend it or it doesn't matter? I have noticed when he is not on fire, the damage is not very high and the exercise is not made correctly but if it's on fire, then I assume that will probably do the exercise correctly.
3) When I raise the difficulty, e.g from 21 to 22, then what exactly raises in the game (gameplay) ?

P.S. I am 39-40 years old but my niece (age:8-10) also like this game!