• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have some questions by the way:
1) think more of it like pressing your abs against the Ring, not the other way around
2) your hair beeing on fire means that you're doing the exercise correctly. No need to push the ring harder or go lower than that
3) you deal less damage (also take more I guess), have to do more repetitions and hold some exercises for a longer time

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
I'm currently racking up 30-40 mins daily except weekends and still enjoying it, I actually can't wait to play through it again, I'm hoping the + games mean you can replay on a higher challenge to still maintain the tough workouts, and there's loads of moves I haven't mastered yet, there's so much scale in this game and I'm now looking forward to the next year to see how much progress I can make on a fitness level. This isn't just about the game anymore.
spoilers for how ng/ng+/ng++ works if you (or anyone else) are curious to get an idea:
it's not quite traditional ng+ in that you don't like, load your save and restart your game from scratch, what happens is that you keep playing after the end of ng, and the story continues, but the way it continues means you go through the same worlds again, with the same levels. ng+ doesn't have requests anymore, but instead some of the "normal" levels have extra conditions like some of the requests used to (limited step count, etc), the gyms/minigames require A rank instead of B rank to pass, things like that. you keep unlocking new smoothies and new clothes (though most of the clothes reuse models and just have higher stats), as well as new skills/etc. i haven't gotten to ng++ yet so i can't comment on that, but from what i understand it's a similar deal to ng+.

the biggest thing i learned from starting ng+ is that WOW the beginning levels have gotten so easy to run through compared to the end of the game haha

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
spoilers for how ng/ng+/ng++ works if you (or anyone else) are curious to get an idea:
it's not quite traditional ng+ in that you don't like, load your save and restart your game from scratch, what happens is that you keep playing after the end of ng, and the story continues, but the way it continues means you go through the same worlds again, with the same levels. ng+ doesn't have requests anymore, but instead some of the "normal" levels have extra conditions like some of the requests used to (limited step count, etc), the gyms/minigames require A rank instead of B rank to pass, things like that. you keep unlocking new smoothies and new clothes (though most of the clothes reuse models and just have higher stats), as well as new skills/etc. i haven't gotten to ng++ yet so i can't comment on that, but from what i understand it's a similar deal to ng+.

the biggest thing i learned from starting ng+ is that WOW the beginning levels have gotten so easy to run through compared to the end of the game haha

Thanks para, so, it's not ridiculously easy is it? I mean, you can still maintain the workout?

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
Thanks para, so, it's not ridiculously easy is it? I mean, you can still maintain the workout?
yeah absolutely! i'm early into ng+ right now so i can only comment on that, but it doesn't get ridiculously easy at all. there's a small dip in difficulty for the first ~3 worlds or so (and even then, only for the running portion of the levels, not the fights, those continue in difficulty), which feels like a tiny victory lap honestly, and after that it just gets back to maintaining your workout

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
yeah absolutely! i'm early into ng+ right now so i can only comment on that, but it doesn't get ridiculously easy at all. there's a small dip in difficulty for the first ~3 worlds or so (and even then, only for the running portion of the levels, not the fights, those continue in difficulty), which feels like a tiny victory lap honestly, and after that it just gets back to maintaining your workout

Great stuff!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I had a lower back/waist muscular spasm earlier. I don't think I have ever had one of those before; rather painful, a bit like a cramp. Now, that area is sore and stiff and I am having to be careful with how I move my body and what posture I am in. I suppose my body is telling me that I have been doing too much exercise targetting that area the last few days! I have been doing a lot of 'waist' exercises, admittedly, but that's because I enjoy them. Oh well, I am just going to have to wait until it feels okay before I do anymore RFA as I couldn't do anything in it with how it is right now. A lazy day today with perhaps a gentle walk and a hot bath before bed and fingers crossed a good night's sleep sorts it out. After lecturing people ITT about doing too much it is probably no more than I deserve. Physician heal thyself!

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck are my Jack Skellington legs supposed to hold this ring between them and squeeze without it flying off? Hip lifts and thigh presses are impossible to do hands-free.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god I just did the lower body gym in world 16. Send help please.

I thought all of this training would've made leg stuff a bit easier but the combination of squats, then mountain climbers, then wide squats has me dead. Also I guess the last time I did squats as part of my attack regimen my difficulty was 3-4 levels lower.

But those mountain climbers man. I have no idea what the game wants from me. I move my leg from completely outstretched to literally as far up as it can go very energetically and it gives me a score of 55/100. I guess it expects people to be a lot more flexible (or not have massive thighs like I do).

Anyway, please wish me luck with going up and down stairs for the rest of today and tomorrow.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
How the fuck are my Jack Skellington legs supposed to hold this ring between them and squeeze without it flying off? Hip lifts and thigh presses are impossible to do hands-free.

Position the ring at a slight angle towards you so that it's adjacent with your thighs. Improved it for me and now I don't have any issues.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018

I thought all of this training would've made leg stuff a bit easier but the combination of squats, then mountain climbers, then wide squats has me dead. Also I guess the last time I did squats as part of my attack regimen my difficulty was 3-4 levels lower.

But those mountain climbers man. I have no idea what the game wants from me. I move my leg from completely outstretched to literally as far up as it can go very energetically and it gives me a score of 55/100. I guess it expects people to be a lot more flexible (or not have massive thighs like I do).

Anyway, please wish me luck with going up and down stairs for the rest of today and tomorrow.

I'm not expecting any substantial improvement for at least 3 months. It's a slow burn for sure which is why I'm giving this game the entire next year to see what results I get.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting any substantial improvement for at least 3 months. It's a slow burn for sure which is why I'm giving this game the entire next year to see what results I get.

Oh I don't mean to be expecting like massive results since October, I just mean I expected squats to be a bit easier than when I started this considering I've done well over 1300 of them in the past 2 months. And they were a bit easier I'd say. It's just the juxtaposition of squats, then mountain climbers, then wide squats which makes them feel ridiculously hard again.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Oh I don't mean to be expecting like massive results since October, I just mean I expected squats to be a bit easier than when I started this considering I've done well over 1300 of them in the past 2 months. And they were a bit easier I'd say. It's just the juxtaposition of squats, then mountain climbers, then wide squats which makes them feel ridiculously hard again.

That does sound viciously sadistic but your last comment shows that the game is having to do this to you to help you improve your fitness because all the previous work you have put in has really improved your fitness up to this point.

That's the positive spin on it anyway 😝 .

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018

Yeah tbh you should find they are easier if you do them first but not after that barrage of leg workouts lol

Could be you've hit a platueu with them too? Which I think is why the game starts throwing everything at you.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

For thigh presses at least, I think the voice says a tip that you can hold one hand on the ring to stabilize.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

I had to cheese Mountain Climb since they just weren't registering for me. So I did a high knee lift run in place. Although, didn't feel like too much cheese since doing that nearly made be fall on the floor.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got to experience the hell that is overhead squats today. I never actually needed to do them before the world 16 boss had me doing it to defend, and somehow I managed to do it well.

But I have NO idea how the game expects me to keep my arms actually extended above my head while squatting. I don't think that's physically possible. I had to bend my elbows quite a bit in order to hold the ringcon up.

I had to cheese Mountain Climb since they just weren't registering for me. So I did a high knee lift run in place. Although, didn't feel like too much cheese since doing that nearly made be fall on the floor.

That's a good tip.

I actually managed to get it to register a "great" while doing it correctly today. I had to slide the leg strap down my leg much closer to my knee to get it to register a wide enough movement but it seemed to work for me.

I think the game expects people to have longer legs and shorter torsos than what I have when it comes to mountain climbers.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I unlocked the "hip shake" exercise and I've decided I'm going to be very sparing with it. Compared to some of the other exercises in the game I feel like it doesn't do a whole lot (same with the "twist" one too) and it's kinda too easy. Maybe it's a good one to put on when doing a second stage/boss and I'm already tired.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Is there like a way to upgrade old skills to make them viable for later on? Stuff like the overhead press become obsolete against much more damaging but less intensive stuff as stated above and I don't want to feel pressured into prioritizing the "game" over the "workout."

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there like a way to upgrade old skills to make them viable for later on? Stuff like the overhead press become obsolete against much more damaging but less intensive stuff as stated above and I don't want to feel pressured into prioritizing the "game" over the "workout."

You will get upgraded versions of every exercise as you progress.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Really hoping there's another skill tree upgrade. I'm at level 237, and figured it would have happened by now into the NG+. I'm running out of skill tree upgrades, and none of the remaining ones are moves I would want to use.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I finally got to experience the hell that is overhead squats today. I never actually needed to do them before the world 16 boss had me doing it to defend, and somehow I managed to do it well.

But I have NO idea how the game expects me to keep my arms actually extended above my head while squatting. I don't think that's physically possible. I had to bend my elbows quite a bit in order to hold the ringcon up.

That's a good tip.

I actually managed to get it to register a "great" while doing it correctly today. I had to slide the leg strap down my leg much closer to my knee to get it to register a wide enough movement but it seemed to work for me.

I think the game expects people to have longer legs and shorter torsos than what I have when it comes to mountain climbers.

I'm screwed since I have chubby short legs. Probably explain why knee lifts on the ground won't register for me.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I unlocked the "hip shake" exercise and I've decided I'm going to be very sparing with it. Compared to some of the other exercises in the game I feel like it doesn't do a whole lot (same with the "twist" one too) and it's kinda too easy. Maybe it's a good one to put on when doing a second stage/boss and I'm already tired.

I love that exercise! The twist one too. I think they both do more to strengthen the waist than they might appear to.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I... Just got insta-killed by Dragaux from full health even though I blocked? On World 7. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty but I'm still like 3 levels above the recommended one. Is that supposed to happen?

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
I... Just got insta-killed by Dragaux from full health even though I blocked? On World 7. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty but I'm still like 3 levels above the recommended one. Is that supposed to happen?
was it a regular guard or one of the uh, mega-guards or whatever they're called? if it's the latter, then taking damage means you actually failed the guard, which isn't explained super clearly

if it's the former, unless you haven't ever upgraded your clothes that seems really odd, difficulty affects the exercise part, not the rpg part. i've played through all of ng already, usually around the recommended level, and never had that issue with any fight.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

On top of what Paranoodle said when you do an ab guard you will take more damage if your ab shield isn't at full strength. It has two different sizes I think, and when your push in hard enough it will be bigger and when the attack finishes it'll say "great" instead of "good".

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I guess I failed the mega guard? I held it throughout the entire attack so I guess I didn't squeeze hard enough or something. Well I grinded sidequests for money and bought new gear so hopefully next time should go more smoothly.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
Thanks. I guess I failed the mega guard? I held it throughout the entire attack so I guess I didn't squeeze hard enough or something. Well I grinded sidequests for money and bought new gear so hopefully next time should go more smoothly.
yeah, that happened to me once, i think it has to do with either not squatting down far enough or not squeezing enough? i had that happen on the very first mega guard i did, and didn't realize they weren't supposed to deal any damage if you block them.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I just got Mountain Climbers (level 59) in my session today. I'm at world 7 and I have a question for people ahead of me. There are more attacks/exercises that focus on pectorals later in the game? I noticed that except one or two Arms atacks (Front Press), the chest/pectorals area is underworked in the game so far.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

When you do a mega ab guard you should look at your character's hair. When it burns bright yellow it means you're doing everything correctly, if it's a more dull orange it means you either need to push the ring harder or fix your squat position. Those can be tricky if your leg strap has changed position due to a recent exercise in the battle.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
I just got Mountain Climbers (level 59) in my session today. I'm at world 7 and I have a question for people ahead of me. There are more attacks/exercises that focus on pectorals later in the game? I noticed that except one or two Arms atacks (Front Press), the chest/pectorals area is underworked in the game so far.
There are more coming but focus is more on core/legs.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Oh thanks! I found it pretty weird that the game has plenty of exercises for almost all important muscles/areas of the body except the chest. Maybe they couldn't make good chest exercises with the ring-con?
Yeah, I am on max difficulty and chest excercises still are easy for me. But different variants of squats coupled with mountain climbers and core excercises still let me break a good sweat. In terms of overall well-being the focus is good and for me RF is supplementary anyhow so I don't really miss these work-outs.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This game really wants me to do Mountain Climbing since two gyms in a row had it in their set.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man Guru Andma is by far the best pun of 2019. It was so good they had to take Mary O. out of Mario Maker just so they wouldn't upset the no fun allowed police

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Did my workout before Christmas. Burn a bunch of calories so I can spend it all tomorrow!

Also, Merry Christmas to everyone here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been missing workouts the past few days due to a combination of my wife having the flu, the holidays, and myself being kinda sick and I'm really missing the feeling of being sore every day.

I can't wait to get back into my workouts when everything calms down.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I've been missing workouts the past few days due to a combination of my wife having the flu, the holidays, and myself being kinda sick and I'm really missing the feeling of being sore every day.

I can't wait to get back into my workouts when everything calms down.

This is now day 7 of no RFA Adventure fun for me following my back spasm 😿 . I tried to have a go yesterday but felt a twinge in the dynamic warm-up even though I was being really careful so aborted. I never thought I could find not being able to exercise so frustrating. Exercise was always something done out of a sense of duty but not being able to play RFA this week has been really killing me. I might try again later; it is 03:26 on Christmas Day as I type this and I am shortly away to beddy byes. A fat, ruddy-faced, bearded old man has not come down my chimney yet so I might as well.

I hope you and your wife feel much better soon and are able to enjoy yourselves despite the flu.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Oh jeez after seeing some of the photos taken today during Christmas dinner, I NEED to start using this game more often to lose some more weight!