• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Not to fearmonger, but please make sure you take care of yourself and have regular check-ups for your prostate. Frequent peeing at night is one of the more common symptoms.
Yes indeed...and I am not a doctor so what works for me may not work for you..I am also over 40. I do 60-80 planks and the same number of squats each session 3 times a week. I also think the pelvic thrust heart replenisher move you get in world 4/5 is useful for strengthening your core...

nkarafo

Dec 18, 2019
Yes indeed...and I am not a doctor so what works for me may not work for you..I am also over 40. I do 60-80 planks and the same number of squats each session 3 times a week. I also think the pelvic thrust heart replenisher move you get in world 4/5 is useful for strengthening your core...
Ok, I will check if squats and this move have benefit to me. Thanks.

@ SeriuzBiznus : Yes, I have done a test for prostate and fortunately, I don't have. I drink too much coffee by the way (every day in work and maybe some days in the afternoon at home) and maybe this affects also the whole situation.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
nkarafo I drink masses of tea and coffee too and I'm an old'un but now that this is being discussed it occurs to me that I do not need to wake up so much in the night to have a pee since playing RFA so yay! I would think that any exercise that involves tensing of the pelvic floor region is the reason for this. There are plenty of exercises in the game where one naturally tenses these just to do the exercise such as squats as has been mentioned. Leg lifts where one lies on the floor and raises one's legs, the plank, the scissors movement and the hip raise and plenty of standing exercises too.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Hey guys, quick question. I'm on day 24 or so and some of the exercises I'm getting feel a little "easy", and I feel like I am cheating myself out of a more intense work out. Standing arm twist? Hip Shake? These are easy but also some of the most damaging attacks I have, meaning if I don't use them, I might be in a spot where I die due to low damage output such that healing won't compensate. I'm also wondering now how I "should" be playing this game, in the context that, I'm looking to have fun, and get a good workout.
I'd keep one easy exercise if you have a long battle and need a respite..and use it sparingly....also use pink exercises to replenish your health and use that flexibility strength work to extend battles instead of ending them quickly with the easy exercises...

Also focus on making repetitions as hard as possible (maximize range of motion minimise speed) by perfecting your form and if it is still too easy increase the difficulty

Last edited:

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I will add using the random exercise selection to play the game and purposively picking all the hardest exercises that do the least damage is a way to really really extend the length of the game. I've seen 7 minute levels take close to 30 minutes, the game will hardly ever do any of the battle selections efficiently and often make you do like the same exercise (wide squats, lunges, planks) every other time, so in the span of 20 minutes you could end up doing the set of 30 wide squats 3 times in a row, and it kills you at the end (in a good way).

So yeah, if you really want to torture yourself, equip non-optimal exercises and use random for all your battles. It has the added bonus of not bringing up the exercise selection / targeting too, which keeps the flow of the battle faster.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
I will add using the random exercise selection to play the game and purposively picking all the hardest exercises that do the least damage is a way to really really extend the length of the game. I've seen 7 minute levels take close to 30 minutes, the game will hardly ever do any of the battle selections efficiently and often make you do like the same exercise (wide squats, lunges, planks) every other time, so in the span of 20 minutes you could end up doing the set of 30 wide squats 3 times in a row, and it kills you at the end (in a good way).

So yeah, if you really want to torture yourself, equip non-optimal exercises and use random for all your battles. It has the added bonus of not bringing up the exercise selection / targeting too, which keeps the flow of the battle faster.
Great tip!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Indeed Jonnykong. It wouldn't be quite so bad if it wasn't for the lag. I have a couple of requests for that which are outstanding; I might even leave them until after the 100% ones.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I would say the only thing I don't like about this game, is the whole jumping whilst running thing. It has always felt off to me, and a bit sluggish?

Even after unlocking the
double jump ability
, I still end up missing loads of the 'better' routes because of how awkward the whole thing feels.

Other than that, still an amazing game.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
The timing can be tricky, indeed Jonnykong.

In other news, I checked today and I have been playing RFA for 2 months almost to the day. It is only in the last few days that I have felt like my enthusiasm was starting to wane. Lasting 2 months with any exercise regime is extremely good going for me. It has been 2 weeks with other regimes I have tried over the years. I had a complete break yesterday and the day before so today was the first time I had actually played in the Adventure mode for 3 days and that helped. My knees felt much better for the complete break too. I am going to start adding in walking (in real life) to freshen up my exercise routine so RFA doesn't start to feel like a chore. I have also done a bunch of old requests rather than worry about progression in the Adventure mode; that helped. I am in world 19 at the moment and although I didn't read the spoiler about world 20 I assume that 'shit gets real' then from reading between the lines. I think I might just take a little break and investigate the non-adventure modes before I go to world 20; I have seriously neglected those. Avoidant behaviour? Damn straight!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Ok, should I be worried to break the ring lol?

Nope. Since early on in two months of play I have been pressing it all the way in so the backs of my fingers touch each other and mine is still going strong. It is reportedly decidedly stronger than the typical pilates ring. Plus it's Nintendo and they always do extensive product testing for long term use.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Nah the ring can take a LOT of punishment. It's extremely high quality material.
Nope. Since early on in two months of play I have been pressing it all the way in so the backs of my fingers touch each other and mine is still going strong. It is reportedly decidedly stronger than the typical pilates ring. Plus it's Nintendo and they always do extensive product testing for long term use.

Got to admit, I'm always afraid of hearing a "SNAP" lol

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
augh, as it turns out i broke my foot a week and a half ago and i've never been so frustrated at not being able to exercise lol, it's so hard to resist firing the game up and turning on assists instead of resting like i should be :'(

Sigurd2990

Nov 2, 2017
It's been a few days since I've been on it. I can't wait to get back on it. That RPG progression motivates me haha

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Had a bad cold this week so off it for a few days, not such a bad thing as my lower back was hurting on monday morning so the rest was welcome, unlike other exercise regimes I know I will be back on this as I'm actually missing it, and the fact I took a 16 day break over xmas and got back on it just goes to show it's a lot more approachable and convenient, which is why it wins. All I have to do is walk into the lounge and strip off lol

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this off and on since November and I've lost 15 pounds. This is bonkers.

Granted, I'm eating healthy (2k cals a day compared to eating literally whatever I wanted before that) and that's most of the work, but I feel myself getting better at all the exercises and I love it. I set a pretty lofty weight loss goal this year, can't wait to try and beat it.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
fracas that's awesome, well done, and in only a couple of months? That's insane. I eat around 2k a day too but I haven't been monitoring my weight, trying not to as my main goal is to feel better and fitter.

Shambles

Oct 25, 2017
Any fellow distance runners in here? I'm trying to figure out how best to incorporate this with my running. I've noticed a definite improvement in my leg and core strength when out for a run, but I find myself running less frequently due to my legs still being sore from a ring fit workout.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I have been out all day for my father's 90th birthday meal and celebration so no chance for any RFA action. However, I had a fun little RFA moment in the kitchen of my step mother's son's house. His sister got some of us to try to lift a chair from being bent over at a 90 degree angle. Of course, after all my RFA action I found this a doddle but couldn't help but chuckle inwardly when she was both impressed and perhaps also disappointed that I could do it. She said it was a test of hip strength so I said I had been doing a lot of work on my waist recently and gave her a little hip shake like in RFA. A silly little anecdote but it amused me so thought I would share.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Does anyone know if the 500 push/pulls of the ring-con need to be registered in the Adventure mode each day or can I stack up 2 or 3 days worth before registering them? I am going to be much busier than normal the next couple of days and am not sure if I'll get the time to fit that in.

Nope, you can't :(.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
augh, as it turns out i broke my foot a week and a half ago and i've never been so frustrated at not being able to exercise lol, it's so hard to resist firing the game up and turning on assists instead of resting like i should be :'(

Oh no :( I feel this pain but it was the flu that took me out for 2.5 weeks. I'm coming back just recently and going hard. I ended up burning 1030 cals yesterday over about 1 Hr 45 min.

I've been playing this off and on since November and I've lost 15 pounds. This is bonkers.

Granted, I'm eating healthy (2k cals a day compared to eating literally whatever I wanted before that) and that's most of the work, but I feel myself getting better at all the exercises and I love it. I set a pretty lofty weight loss goal this year, can't wait to try and beat it.

I lost 15 pounds here too since around late October. Changing the diet REALLY makes the difference for weight loss I've found.

I have been out all day for my father's 90th birthday meal and celebration so no chance for any RFA action. However, I had a fun little RFA moment in the kitchen of my step mother's son's house. His sister got some of us to try to lift a chair from being bent over at a 90 degree angle. Of course, after all my RFA action I found this a doddle but couldn't help but chuckle inwardly when she was both impressed and perhaps also disappointed that I could do it. She said it was a test of hip strength so I said I had been doing a lot of work on my waist recently and gave her a little hip shake like in RFA. A silly little anecdote but it amused me so thought I would share.

I love hearing this kind of stuff about Ring Fit, I tell my girlfriend these stories so she stays Ring Fit motivated. Keep em coming :)

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the adventure mode yesterday and this game is definately the best gamified Sport or exercise experience developed until now. It keeps you engaged during the whole story mode and you keep unlocking new gameplay mechanics and items until the very end. If anyone is looking for a game or motivation to exercise then this one is probably recommendable to everyone. If you're just looking to play some RPG game but don't care about fitness then you might skip it.

There are very few negative aspects of the game like the way how your exercise time is getting tracked, which is way too low and therefore causing your calorie counter to be too low as well or that you have to put on the strap / ring even if you only want to get your multitask bonus. And mountain climber exercises in general.

Otherwise this game is probably my GOTY 2019.
Played on intensity 23. The game tracked 36 hours of exercise but I estimate the time I spend exercising in Adventure mode to be easily more than 50 hours.
For our US citizens: The 105 km distance are around 65 miles or 62k smoots or 2e¹³ beard-seconds or whatever units you guys are using.
Didn't farm XP or repeated worlds, finished every stage on the first try. Only repeated a handful minigames for 100% sidequests.
faAOhR7.jpg

NG+ Stuff:
NG+ continues the story in a world where you have defeated Dragaux and NPCs do recognize you again. You play a different variation of the original story.
You don't have to finish the adventure mode on 100% before you enter NG+. You can switch between normal mode and NG+ anytime in the navigation menu.
You keep your character and all of your stats. NG+ is called "Extra Fitness"instead of a new game mode.
First level on NG+ isn't called 1+ or something but "Chapter 24 Extra Fitness Lvl. 181", so they simply keep counting but the worlds have their own power levels.
It also seems like there are no seperated sidequests anymore but the quests are integrated into the normal missions as additional win conditions.
You keep unlocking new clothes, recipes and levels of the exercises.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Looked at myself in the mirror today and I actually have some kind of resemblance of abs! I'm thankful to the game for that at least.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Just started World 12 and I'm at level 103. Still having so much fun! It feels like such an achievement with every milestone, especially when I hit a new title like "1000 squats" and it does the little confetti dance 😂

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Two and a half months in, I've lost 17 pounds and exceeded my total weight loss goal! Combined with tightening up my diet a bit, logging an hour of recorded workout time every other day has really done wonders.

I guess my new goal will be to bulk up a bit, maybe? I've started doing pushups on off days and tagging the Mighty Pectoralis minigame onto the end of my workouts to try and get a little more training in for my biceps and chest, since the main Adventure mode doesn't have a ton of exercises for those muscle groups.

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the planks.. and is the first thing that is really hard for me to do D:, i kinda use them when the enemy is really low on energy so i only do 3-5 at the time, i feel like an old man, also not watching the screen and relying on sounds sucks.

I wish the game supports 4 controllers to track your arms as well, it will be way cooler.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there more exercise like planks? e.g: normal pushups?

i feel like i'm cheating doing them only right at the end, so i kill the enemy in less than 4,5 repetitions xD, but otherwise i can't handle them at all

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Are there more exercise like planks? e.g: normal pushups?

i feel like i'm cheating doing them only right at the end, so i kill the enemy in less than 4,5 repetitions xD, but otherwise i can't handle them at all

You shouldn't really be using your arms in a plank, it's all about the core strength. Some good exercises to help strengthen the core muscles used in planks would be crunches and leg raises, but honestly, the best way to get better at planks is to just hold the static plank position for as long as you can, every day.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
No hints at all dropped about future support yet right? It'll be a long, long time before I'm ready to move on, but I wouldn't mind throwing extra support to them in the form of DLC/additional products that use the ring-con or add additional devices in to the game. Don't expect anything really this soon, but hopefully they at least comment about it this year - even if they say they have absolutely no intentions of adding or continue the product in any way.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was an option to practice the new exercises you unlock. Just got the high knee one and I can't get the timing right if I try and copy the little hop the demo animation does. So for now I'm kinda just doing the high knee plus bringing the ring down each time.

Is there a time limit for each exercise? I often seem to be going faster than the example and eg for squats I expect returning slowly is important for the exercise?

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I wish there was an option to practice the new exercises you unlock. Just got the high knee one and I can't get the timing right if I try and copy the little hop the demo animation does. So for now I'm kinda just doing the high knee plus bringing the ring down each time.

Is there a time limit for each exercise? I often seem to be going faster than the example and eg for squats I expect returning slowly is important for the exercise?

There's no time limit but the pace of the exercises does change and the best bet is to align yourself to Tipps movements otherwise they may not register well.

Sometimes he'll go slow AF and other times he's jumping around like a maniac. I'm still not sure what dictates the pace.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up to "force" my son into a daily excersise routine. Started using it myself and it's damn good, I'm pleasantly surprised lol

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
On overhead presses when it says to bend your hands lightly - does it mean to curve my hands in when I squeeze to increase muscle load, or does it want me to keep them light and 'flat' on the ring?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
On overhead presses when it says to bend your hands lightly - does it mean to curve my hands in when I squeeze to increase muscle load, or does it want me to keep them light and 'flat' on the ring?

I am never sure about that either tbh. However, I imagine that what they want us to avoid is putting undue strain on our wrist joints. When I do it I tend to press in the ring using the bottom part of the hand, nearest the wrists with the rest of the hands curved over the top of the ring not doing much but holding the ring in place. I've not had any issues with my hands or wrists doing it this way so I just keep doing it that way. My body at least is ready, doing it that way.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I do have misery with the leg strap moving unless I secure it high up in my leg. Any tricks for this? It's annoying as my high knee lifts do not register properly

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I too have issues with the leg strap, not because it moves but because when I do a squat my bum nearly touches the floor before it properly registers, is there away to recalibrate it? I position it roughly in the centre of my thigh.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I too have issues with the leg strap, not because it moves but because when I do a squat my bum nearly touches the floor before it properly registers, is there away to recalibrate it? I position it roughly in the centre of my thigh.
It's not so much about the position of the strap but more of the joycon. Try looking at the joycon during your squat exercises, it should reach a horizontal level to be registered properly. It happened to me that I tucked it "too far" into the strap which tilted it sometimes a bit and caused issues with the registering. Or try to move the strap up / down on your leg until you hit a spot where the joycon is pretty much horizontal stabilized during your squats.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Might not work for everyone, but I've had much better success with having the leg strap stay-put when it's strapped directly to my skin. It seems to grip a lot better and slide around less than it does over clothes. Just means you have to work out in shorts/your underwear/butt-nekked.

Also for those unaware, if you hit the "+" during workouts, there's a troubleshooting option that allows you to re-centre/calibrate. You can also recalibrate the leg strap for silent/default workouts in the main settings menu.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Might not work for everyone, but I've had much better success with having the leg strap stay-put when it's strapped directly to my skin. It seems to grip a lot better and slide around less than it does over clothes. Just means you have to work out in shorts/your underwear/butt-nekked.

Also for those unaware, if you hit the "+" during workouts, there's a troubleshooting option that allows you to re-centre/calibrate. You can also recalibrate the leg strap for silent/default workouts in the main settings menu.
I haven't bought the game yet (waiting for a slight sale), but I feel concerned about this as I'm usually wearing leggings at home, especially to work out (because you know how it's much more comfortable than pretty much anything else).

Does the leg strap keep in place enough in this case or does it tend to fall off? Maybe there are known tips to prevent this?
I think most of my leggings are made of a "slippery" fabric hence my worries, but I'm hoping for the best.

Any tips are welcome, otherwise the game looks really great on most aspects so I can't wait to try it!

Oct 27, 2017
So I got this game shortly after it came out but kind of bounced off of it because I didn't like running in place. My main exercise is an hour long walk/jog 3 or 4 times a week in the early morning, but we recently moved to a place where it rains basically all the time (Seattle) and so I've been doing this on a treadmill now. I'd like to combine RFA with the treadmill. Obviously, I'd have to do low speed on the treadmill and mostly just arm workouts in RFA, but I think it'd go together well. Has anyone tried playing RFA while using a treadmill, any tips for what worked well and what didn't?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't bought the game yet (waiting for a slight sale), but I feel concerned about this as I'm usually wearing leggings at home, especially to work out (because you know how it's much more comfortable than pretty much anything else).

Does the leg strap keep in place enough in this case or does it tend to fall off? Maybe there are known tips to prevent this?
I think most of my leggings are made of a "slippery" fabric hence my worries, but I'm hoping for the best.

Any tips are welcome, otherwise the game looks really great on most aspects so I can't wait to try it!

I actually prefer the leg strap over sweatpants/pajamas, they seem to give it a little more to grip too. You can tighten it pretty easily though, to the point of over doing it, the trick is just finding the happy medium.

So I got this game shortly after it came out but kind of bounced off of it because I didn't like running in place. My main exercise is an hour long walk/jog 3 or 4 times a week in the early morning, but we recently moved to a place where it rains basically all the time (Seattle) and so I've been doing this on a treadmill now. I'd like to combine RFA with the treadmill. Obviously, I'd have to do low speed on the treadmill and mostly just arm workouts in RFA, but I think it'd go together well. Has anyone tried playing RFA while using a treadmill, any tips for what worked well and what didn't?

The jogging segments between exercising are generally pretty short (like 1-2 minutes), and usually varied to the point I don't think they'd work on a treadmill (high knee lifts, squats, manipulating the ring con while doing the walking might be disastrous too (trying to aim for items, jumping etc). They're really pretty short though, I'd give it another try. If you use random exercise selection you'll find the battles takes at least 3x as long as the jogging.

The game generally doesn't let you start exercises either unless you're remaining still, so mixing treadmill while doing overhead presses means you'd need to stop the treadmill between every exercise too. To me it just doesn't sound like it'd work out, but maybe someone else has figured it out.