• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
So my wife and I are getting a Switch next month and this game really got her interested. She doesn't game much but she thinks this could really help her get in shape.

My question is, do you think this game would keep her attention?

If this thread is anything to go by then the ratio of players who start the game and continue with it over weeks and months is very high. That's just my impression from reading the whole thread but I can only think of one or two posters saying they had stopped playing it. Her interest in the game should be your guide imo. If the worst comes to the worst and she hates it then you could probably sell it for a good price seeing as it is supply constrained in many countries. She certainly could use it to get in shape; many of us have.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I don't think the game will cause her to stop playing, I would say if you're serious about sticking with a fitness routine this game will give you every reason to continue with it. Even after playing for nearly 3 months the game still does its job and if I stopped it would be on me.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I just unlocked planks. Ow.

I know my limits and I might do planks once in a sitting. I'm not ready for climbers either but that's ok because there's so many other decent exercises. I'm hoping to master planks on my second playthrough. Or my third. If I get there eventually I will be happy.

Don't feel you need to use them just because they're there. The other ab workouts that you pick up are equally as effective.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I know my limits and I might do planks once in a sitting. I'm not ready for climbers either but that's ok because there's so many other decent exercises. I'm hoping to master planks on my second playthrough. Or my third. If I get there eventually I will be happy.

Don't feel you need to use them just because they're there. The other ab workouts that you pick up are equally as effective.

Yeah, I can just about manage them but it seems like asking for trouble. I'm happy enough mixing up some of the others so it's all good. I was just a little taken aback at how hard I found them :)

Anyway, I'm very late to RFA but really enjoying it. I actually bought it at launch but had to return it due to an unrelated illness that cropped up at the same time, so finally getting into it now. My kids are really enjoying "helping" too. Helping in this case being sitting on the sofa shouting "get the monster daddy!" and then insisting that I do just one more level when I'm about to collapse.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
No, you are not going to die.

You are already dead.

Seriously though, giving your knees a break from the game would be my suggestion. You could continue with the game avoiding any leg work but if you've been playing it for several weeks most days then your body would probably be glad of a mini-break from it. All being well that would be all you would need. You have about a ten-day window of not playing RFA before you start to lose your fitness gains from RFA.

My left knee sometimes complains when playing the game if I am not careful enough with the exercise form but that knee has been problematical for many years from bad form with weights when I was younger. It doesn't stop me playing the game but I have to be careful with squat exercises so I don't aggravate it. I probably have a slight ligament 'strain' (which is a misnomer as that word means that there is a partial tear) but since I am not a professional athlete it is not a huge drama. My livelihood is not dependent on my knee being at 100% and it doesn't give me any pain unless I stress it awkwardly when playing RFA. Besides, RFA will strengthen all the muscles around it which is one of the therapeutic measures suggested to professional athletes who do rely on their knees and have such an injury e.g. American Football players. However, since I am in the UK I am going to mention it to my GP when I next see him to see if I am eligible for a scan on it to see exactly what is going on with it. I don't know where you are and what your healthcare system is but if a break from the game doesn't help you might want to consider some medical advice.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'll take a break from it this week and hopefully that will help... Thanks.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, welcome to my day 2 on Ring Fit Adventure...

I remember thinking "I'm gonna buy this and put in 35-45 minutes a day!"

NOPE!

Day 1 I lasted 13 minutes (finished world 1)

Day 2 I barely got to 10 minutes and halfway through world 2.

I only have myself to blame, I suppose. I've never been into exercise before this, and while I'm not morbidly obese (I'm tall and have always been on the slender side), I really did let my "dad bod" gut get ahead of me. Binge snacking is my kryptonite.

I have to believe this gets easier, so I'm on it. One day at a time.

Last edited:

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Oh god, welcome to my day 2 on Ring Fit Adventure...

I remember thinking "I'm gonna buy this and put in 35-45 minutes a day!"

NOPE!

Day 1 I lasted 13 minutes (finished world 1)

Day 2 I barely got to 10 minutes and halfway through world 2.

I only have myself to blame, I suppose. I've never been into exercise before this, and while I'm not morbidly obese (I'm tall and have always been on the slender side), I really did let my "dad bod" gut get ahead of me. Binge snacking is my kryptonite.

I have to believe this gets easier, so I'm on it. One day at a time.

You got this, buddy! Don't let it "get easy", just give it your best every day and keep yourself challenged!

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You got this, buddy! Don't let it "get easy", just give it your best every day and keep yourself challenged!

Yeah! Going in to today, it wanted to reassess the difficulty level with me. And for a moment I thought it would give me the options of getting easier or more intense. I thought "Just keep it where it is now because it's a very solid challenge."

Then I got the option to keep it as is and I was good to go. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Yeah! Going in to today, it wanted to reassess the difficulty level with me. And for a moment I thought it would give me the options of getting easier or more intense. I thought "Just keep it where it is now because it's a very solid challenge."

Then I got the option to keep it as is and I was good to go. Looking forward to tomorrow!

I recently was doing up to 25-30mins RFA-time 5 days a week, but I've opted for 45mins RFA-time 3-4 days now to get rest days in, that's around 1h 15m in elapsed time, I would never have been able to do that 3 months ago when I started. I'm still enjoying it too and only get annoyed if I have to miss a day.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Hamrub That is a super cute situation you have going on there with your kids 'helping' 🐱.

HellBlazer Good; I shall keep my fingers crossed for you (figuratively speaking) but please do let us know if the rest helps.

SolidChamp Don't worry, it does get easier and quicker than you might think. Day one with RFA I think I managed 10 mins and that was on the very lowest difficulty level of one; even the dynamic warmup had me pooped. A couple of months later and I did 60 minutes yesterday. You don't need to kill yourself to make progress. If you do what you can without killing yourself and most importantly so that it is enjoyable then you will make steady progress. You will find that you will naturally increase the difficulty level and length of sessions in increments as you get fitter. I used to aim for a set amount each session but now I just allow myself to be guided by how I feel especially my energy level. I don't have a set rest day either; I just take a break of a day or two if I'm really busy or my body feels like it could do with it. I used to be really fit when I was younger but have been incredibly sedentary and unfit for years now so starting RFA was a real shock to the system so you are not alone in that! Take your time and enjoy it, seriously, you will only stick with it you do enjoy it. Good to have you here.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
woo has inspired me to persist as well, I've seen how much progress he's been making and I'm sure he won't mind me commenting he's slightly older than me too, oh and his cat is just awesome 😊

woo

Nov 11, 2017
woo has inspired me to persist as well, I've seen how much progress he's been making and I'm sure he won't mind me commenting he's slightly older than me too, oh and his cat is just awesome 😊

*blushes* I was checking my Fitbit app earlier and feeling really good about how much progress I've made due to RFA. I almost posted about it in here but didn't want to stealth brag 😝 . Thank you for your kind words and yes I am positively ancient but don't worry it will come to all you young'uns soon enough! That is if the asteroids don't get us first. I would tell William (my avatar cat) that you send your regards but he is curled up and snuffling and snoring in that adorable way that he does. Oh, he has just woken up so I've given his head a quick scratch and told him that it's from Uncle Mantorok 🐱.

I didn't think I'd manage 20 minutes today after my long session yesterday and after doing something this morning that wiped me out. I did 70 minutes in the end though as I was motivated to keep unlocking skills in the skill tree. I am 3 skill crystals (or whatever they're called) away from finding out what the last '?' is in my skill tree. Those RPG mechanics can be such a powerful motivation to keep exercising! I still have plenty to unlock to 100% the skill tree but imagine that that will be one of my greatest gaming feelings of satisfaction. Plus there is the job of completing the list of courses and gyms that I've skipped over. I am in world 21 now and already have 37 on that list. I still have masses to do before worrying about finishing the game. Let alone NG and NG+!

Oh and I keep forgetting to mention just how adorable the animations are in this game. There's the animals that bounce up and down in rhythm to the music and the in-fight monster animations that can be hilarious. I like watching them as my attacks batter them about. Also, I love the blowfish type enemy when it lets out a big sigh and the kettlebell enemy when it has its 'herpy derpy' face 😄 .

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
woo you're pushing me forward, dude. Thank you :)

Had a little complaint in my back yesterday so I rested today and maybe tomorrow depends how I feel when I wake up. Can't wait to get back in!

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Played this for the first time today. Girlfriend and I must have spent two hours playing it. Did mini games and stuff messing around then both went through the first couple in adventure mode. Game is really well done. Looking foward to playing more.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Plainsong Thank you 😊 . I love RFA so sharing my thoughts about it just feels right. I love reading what everyone else thinks too. Long may this RFA love affair last for us all! 🐱 I hope your back feels better tomorrow; I think you are wise to err on the side of caution where one's back is concerned.

thenexus6 One Two of us! Welcome, reading posts from newcomers to RFA puts a big smile on my face. Have fun! 🐱

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Does the battle music eventually change? I'm only at the end of World 3 and it's already getting a bit old.

Wait, are some of you using your FitBit in conjunction with RFA?

I have a Garmin Watch, not a FitBit, but so far I've registered my sessions as generic "Training". It records duration, heart rate and calories. It also contributes to the overall steps count.
The heart rate reading with the joycon is way different than what I get on my watch.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
One foot seems extreme - let's call it a toe and leave it at that :)

Call it a big toe and you've got a deal!

Wait, are some of you using your FitBit in conjunction with RFA?

I only bought a FitBit because of RFA getting me back into exercise/fitness. I don't do anything special with it though; I just keep wearing it when I do my RFA session. I could probably select one of the exercise types for the RFA session but I don't because the session is too stop-start to bother with that.

Does the battle music eventually change? I'm only at the end of World 3 and it's already getting a bit old.

I honestly have no idea. I am in world 21 but I can't say I really notice it; it's all part of the rhythm of the game for me. If I hated it then that would be an issue but I find it upbeat without being obnoxious and bouncy enough to make me want to dance on the spot. I hope it doesn't become an issue for you. I don't know as I haven't checked but you may be able to mute the music in the settings. I believe you can mute Ring if you find him annoying as some users do; fortunately, I enjoy his ridiculousness of his over-the-top-ness. It's all part of the game's charm for me.

I use a Garmin watch as well.

Speaking of ancient - 50 years young right here.

ONE OF US!

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
I actually really dig the music, though I tend to play the game on a low volume. Pedrito if it's super annoying, you could always adjust the in-game audio settings. Maybe mute the music only so you still have the audio cues/instructions but can put your own jams on in the background?

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I wouldn't say the music is annoying. It's just a bit repetitive considering the amount of time we spend in battles. I would have liked it if they would cycle between 4-5 tracks.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been able to get on this for a week due to various factors such as being away from home, or having man flu, and I do miss it! The feeling of guilt for not using it regularly is a feeling I don't like.

I'm hoping to get back into a routine very soon.

Also pleased to see it charting at number 1 in Japan this week.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Agreed that the music is repetitive. Especially after seeing how Smash Bros has like a million tracks, I wish we'd get some more music love in Ring Fit!

Question: Does anyone use the "regain hearts" moves? I'd love to vary up my routine with those moves but they seem worthless since I'd rather have varied attack moves in my slots and have plenty of smoothies to regain hearts. Feels like a waste of moves to me.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Question: Does anyone use the "regain hearts" moves? I'd love to vary up my routine with those moves but they seem worthless since I'd rather have varied attack moves in my slots and have plenty of smoothies to regain hearts. Feels like a waste of moves to me.

Once you get to a certain level, you have so many skill slots available that it's much handier to have one of the regain heart skills instead of needing to rely on smoothies. It's also quite nice to have a little "stretch break" in some of the longer, more intense battles!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Agreed that the music is repetitive. Especially after seeing how Smash Bros has like a million tracks, I wish we'd get some more music love in Ring Fit!

Rarely; they are much more useful early on in the game and later on when smoothies are occasionally not an option.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Once you get to a certain level, you have so many skill slots available that it's much handier to have one of the regain heart skills instead of needing to rely on smoothies. It's also quite nice to have a little "stretch break" in some of the longer, more intense battles!
Sweet. I don't think I've unlocked additional skill slots yet - I'm lvl 42 and just beat world 6

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I love the way the enemies watch your cursor when you're selecting which of them to attack, and that they watch whichever enemy you attack, and that they cower at the arm/foot/torso attack representations themselves while you're attacking them. It's such a cute touch.

Also the matta rays are the only time the enemy cleric has been my favourite enemy type. They're adorable.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I love the way the enemies watch your cursor when you're selecting which of them to attack, and that they watch whichever enemy you attack, and that they cower at the arm/foot/torso attack representations themselves while you're attacking them. It's such a cute touch.

Also the matta rays are the only time the enemy cleric has been my favourite enemy type. They're adorable.

Nicely said 🐱. You have a great avatar btw; very cute.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey there, so I have a bit of a conundrum...

When the Lite came out I sold my switch and got a lite as I much preferred the shape and size of it for playing handheld, this is how I mostly played it.

However I am very interested in getting ring fit adventure... Should I go back the other way and sell my Lite asnd buy a new (better battery at least) Switch? Is it worth it?

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Hey there, so I have a bit of a conundrum...

When the Lite came out I sold my switch and got a lite as I much preferred the shape and size of it for playing handheld, this is how I mostly played it.

However I am very interested in getting ring fit adventure... Should I go back the other way and sell my Lite asnd buy a new (better battery at least) Switch? Is it worth it?
Playing on a tiny screen would definitely be cumbersome and you'd have to buy separate joycons.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... I really am in two minds, I need to get more exercise and this seems like a good way to get started and to gamify (gameify?) it but I also like the smaller form factor of the lite. I don't think I will consider getting the game for the lite at all.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Hey Timppis I haven't stalked you in a while but I see that you are still alive so I am glad of that. I hope that you managed to clear up all your health issues okay 🐱.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Hey Timppis I haven't stalked you in a while but I see that you are still alive so I am glad of that. I hope that you managed to clear up all your health issues okay 🐱.
Oh dang. I was supposed to come here and tell peeps that yeah. It's getting a lot better. All clear on the health issues but it did take some toll on my energy levels and that sort of stuff.

I'm all clear to work out and to do things normally, but I still tire out pretty fast. Getting there slowly and steadily :)

I've played my adventure henceforth only few times. Been doing walks and really light jogging as well as some other stuff.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know if there's something I'm not doing right, but I got killed three times in a row by World 3 Dragaux. I'm at the right level. I barely deal any damage while I lose up to two hearts when he attacks. To beat him, are we expected to drink a smoothie after every exercise? Or maybe the ab guard is not registering well?

Last edited:

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if there's something I'm not doing right, but I got killed three times in a row by World 3 Dragaux. I'm at the right level. I barely deal any damage while I lose up to two earths when he attacks. To beat him, are we expected to drink a smoothie after every exercise? Or maybe the ab guard is not registering well?

Upgrade your clothes if you can, and just keep trying, it'll get easier as you go up levels (you should generally be at least a couple levels higher than the recommended level imo). The earlier battles are trickier, and yes, you might need 4-5 smoothies to clear some of the bosses early on, but you pass that need for smoothies pretty fast.

You should see a really strong visual of a yellow shield on the screen if you're doing the ab guard right, you need to press in a fair amount, but it's not that hard to perform, so chances are you're good. Just try pressing in a bit harder and if nothing changes on the screen from it you didn't need to press harder.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Upgrade your clothes if you can, and just keep trying, it'll get easier as you go up levels (you should generally be at least a couple levels higher than the recommended level imo). The earlier battles are trickier, and yes, you might need 4-5 smoothies to clear some of the bosses early on, but you pass that need for smoothies pretty fast.

You should see a really strong visual of a yellow shield on the screen if you're doing the ab guard right, you need to press in a fair amount, but it's not that hard to perform, so chances are you're good. Just try pressing in a bit harder and if nothing changes on the screen from it you didn't need to press harder.

Oh ok, then that's normal. Thanks.
I was just surprised by the huge spike in difficulty all of a sudden, but I guess they want to make you use your newly acquired smoothie making skill.