• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
I just did that one for the first time today and for some reason it wasn't too bad. I think it's because I had been focusing on pushing myself with various ab exercises for the past couple weeks since I could barely even do 1 rep of the boat pose when I first got it.

yeah, the first one i did was pretty tough but it went alright, but as you keep going further they'll get longer and the second one i had to do last night (at the end of a session because i'm a great planner) felt like it would never end haha

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a night off from the game this evening, and I've actually missed it!

Hopefully will find time to get back on it tomorrow.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, the first one i did was pretty tough but it went alright, but as you keep going further they'll get longer and the second one i had to do last night (at the end of a session because i'm a great planner) felt like it would never end haha

Oh damn, nevermind then. I was hoping that was a one time thing. I keep feeling like I've seen all there is to see (in world 12 now) but then they keep throwing in new shit. I love it.

I've had a night off from the game this evening, and I've actually missed it!

Hopefully will find time to get back on it tomorrow.

That's the brilliance of this game, it makes exercise addicting.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
skittzo0413 yeah this game has a ton of content so far! i've reached world 15 now but tonight i'm going back and doing more sidequests, i'm trying to get the last part of an outfit and i have no idea where it is ' ^ '

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Pleasure 😼 .

Ouch! I rested upright so I dodged a bullet there!

You are more likely to get slightly smaller legs but better defined ones from RFA than bodybuilder legs. No-one will get swole from RFA. It takes a lot of time, massive amounts of effort lifting heavy weights and good nutrition to do that.

Also, the game only estimates calories burnt from the time actively doing exercise. It does not give any credit for those burnt from the elevated heart rate and so on. Any calorie counting consumer device is estimating calories burnt so don't rely on it as an accurate amount. Go from how you feel and be assured that progress will come.

Oh ok, makes sense. I'll post my impressions so far.
Thanks!

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I did a second session today, and laughed at the fact that I chose to do a different fit skill that did less damage because I literally didn't have the energy to do a third Knee Lift that soon.

I think doing Ring Fit and going for walks on some days while doing two sessions of Ring Fit on others is going to be a good balance. Definitely enjoying my time overall.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
ended up doing a really long session today (time flies when you're having fun??) with almost 1h20 of active time, and i'm a lot less sore than i was expecting to be! :O i can feel all my muscles but outside having trouble on my second go through a gym (did both completion + request for it today), i didn't feel like i was pushing too far at all

this is already such a big contrast from three weeks ago where 15 minutes of active time (at a lower difficulty) had me completely out of breath

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I did a second session today, and laughed at the fact that I chose to do a different fit skill that did less damage because I literally didn't have the energy to do a third Knee Lift that soon.

I think doing Ring Fit and going for walks on some days while doing two sessions of Ring Fit on others is going to be a good balance. Definitely enjoying my time overall.
I also did my second big session today and yeah, that fit skill where you stand in place and spin back and forth is totally gonna be my go-to move when I need a breather lol
I don't know why, but Ring Fit may be my GOTY lol.
For sure bro. Norman Reedus' may have DOOMS but Ring Fit's got the DOMS

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Just a note, the calorie counter is not accurate at all. It stops counting completely even in the seconds between each rep, assuming you're not burning calories just by having an elevated heart rate.

Regarding calorie counting on Ring Fit....
I did some pseudo scientific research on my Apple Watch during my last 5 workouts, here are my findings:

First of all, the joycon heartrate monitor is more precise than I thought. gives me basically the same (+-5) reading as the Apple Watch.
Props to Nintendo on that.
But the calorie counter was off by a factor of ca. 2 on all 5 workouts. I thought this was because the Apple Watch adds "base cals" (the calories you burn anyways by breathing and existing) to total, but that isn't the case.

Example: Saturday Nov 23rd

Ring Fit = 33 mins / 225.7 kcal
Apple Watch = 61 mins / 651 total kcal / 505 activity kcal

I don't know if Ring Fit is my GOTG but I'm 100% it's the GOTY. Not only because no other game has provided real world benefits, but it's also a ton of fun.
TFW you can do a proper set of a skill that you thought was impossible to get right a week ago, is as good as gaming can get.

For sure bro. Norman Reedus' may have DOOMS but Ring Fit's got the DOMS

Ring > Strand
Nah seriously, DS comes in at 2nd for me.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Oh ok, makes sense. I'll post my impressions so far.
Thanks!

👍

It is certainly mine and I don't even bother with such things but this game needs all the love it can get!

ended up doing a really long session today (time flies when you're having fun??) with almost 1h20 of active time, and i'm a lot less sore than i was expecting to be! :O i can feel all my muscles but outside having trouble on my second go through a gym (did both completion + request for it today), i didn't feel like i was pushing too far at all

this is already such a big contrast from three weeks ago where 15 minutes of active time (at a lower difficulty) had me completely out of breath

Yep, I just did the 500 ring pushes/pulls in pretty much one long go. I had to stop after probably less than ten on day one which was less than a week ago! One of the great strengths of RFA is it improves stamina and endurance (they are not the same; I just looked it up, lol). No-one is going to get swole doing this but they are certainly going to improve their stamina and endurance! Most people will likely lose a few pounds, become more toned and become stronger than they were too. RFA really is a great achievement and if not for the hype threads by Timppis and skittzo0413 it would have flown right under my radar 😱 .

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Day 5

I can definitely tell I'm getting stronger. I wasn't sore waking up today. And uh wow Dragaux really wasn't playing around at the World 3. Hadn't even gotten to the boss but I was already panting at all the conveyor belts. I am not a sprinter! I'm a long-distance runner LOL. And he was kicking my ass, almost lost that one.

Really glad I didn't try to beat the boss yesterday, I would've been destroyed.

Enjoying all the new exercises I unlock. The bow pull one is so hard, whew.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
Yep, I just did the 500 ring pushes/pulls in pretty much one long go. I had to stop after probably less than ten on day one which was less than a week ago! One of the great strengths of RFA is it improves stamina and endurance (they are not the same; I just looked it up, lol). No-one is going to get swole doing this but they are certainly going to improve their stamina and endurance! Most people will likely lose a few pounds, become more toned and become stronger than they were too. RFA really is a great achievement and if not for the hype threads by Timppis and skittzo0413 it would have flown right under my radar 😱 .

yeah! i'm not looking to lose weight or bulk up, just getting a healthier amount of exercise, so this is literally just exactly what i need and i'm impressed by how well-tailored it is

Day 5

I can definitely tell I'm getting stronger. I wasn't sore waking up today. And uh wow Dragaux really wasn't playing around at the World 3. Hadn't even gotten to the boss but I was already panting at all the conveyor belts. I am not a sprinter! I'm a long-distance runner LOL. And he was kicking my ass, almost lost that one.

yeah, the levels before bosses are real trials heheh! weirdly enough i'm having the opposite experience with bow pull, i used to do archery so if anything it feels like it takes so little to pull back? that's just about the only exercise that feels "too easy" for me though

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap I just did a few levels in world 12 and I'm completely demolished. Things start to really pick up there.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also late to the ring fit bandwagon but all the praise, articles, and threads got me to bite the bullet. only done 4 days so far with 2 days off, one was a necessary day off because the game (and my job) wrecked me and the other was a lazy sunday day off. so I'm feeling good about that. been going at a slow pace in the adventure mode but I wake up every day sore so I'm cool with that. one day I'll be able to worry about how long my sessions are but I'm not there yet.

game is amazing though. the biggest barrier is literally just getting strapped in and turning it on. once I've got the game turned on it's easy to bang out a session. and the way it's gameified is kind of basic but pretty fucking genius tbh. I'm sucking and blowing on every collectible and interactive object in the game and I'm always doing the boosted attacks during battles. if you're the kind of person who goes out of their way to collect coins in mario, for instance, this game will wreck you. the warm up and cool down stretching is awesome too. really great game and it should probably be in the mix for game of the year though I know it won't for most outlets.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I have played this twice now and it's a really good time but ...

May lowest 2 vertebrae have nothing left between them And I have lower back/leg pain daily. The running in place you do to move I think is not helping.
Is it safe to keep playing? I'm not sure what's safe or not to do in the game??
I really want to keep playing and get in shape but don't want to hurt myself. Any advice

I've done PT for my back and it didn't help. Can't do the shots because I'm allergic to steroids and I'm leaning away from surgery after seeing both my dad and uncle go through the same surgery with bad results. So I'm stuck like this but really want to play Ring Fit lol

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

May lowest 2 vertebrae have nothing left between them And I have lower back/leg pain daily. The running in place you do to move I think is not helping.
I really want to keep playing and get in shape but don't want to hurt myself. Any advice

I've done PT for my back and it didn't help. Can't do the shots because I'm allergic to steroids and I'm leaning away from surgery after seeing both my dad and uncle go through the same surgery with bad results. So I'm stuck like this but really want to play Ring Fit lol

I'd seek an actual informed medical opinion

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland

i second actually asking a medical professional about this, but in the meantime (outside minigames) you can go in the settings and activate back assistance and knee assistance and it will let you use button presses for things like squats or running in place, so you can make sure not to put any stress on your back or legs until you get a response as to what exercises are safe to do or not.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
i second actually asking a medical professional about this, but in the meantime (outside minigames) you can go in the settings and activate back assistance and knee assistance and it will let you use button presses for things like squats or running in place, so you can make sure not to put any stress on your back or legs until you get a response as to what exercises are safe to do or not.

oh perfect I didn't know there were those kinds of options. I've got an appointment Dec 22 so I'll take it easy til then

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Spent just under an hour playing this earlier.

I finished off world 2, made it halfway through world 3, I feel GOOD.

Unlocked smoothies, clothes and colour coded attacks now.

I may even raise the difficulty from 13 to 15.

Can't wait to get back on it tomorrow or Thursday 💪

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Day 5

Yep, me too. Day six for me, today, and I am breezing through things now that really made me work on day one. Remember though, it's not real exercise unless you go to a gym and lift weights 🙄 . Some days I leave Dragaux until the next day as I know I am almost running on empty and you never know how tough it's going to be.

I'm also late to the ring fit bandwagon but all the praise, articles, and threads got me to bite the bullet. only done 4 days so far with 2 days off, one was a necessary day off because the game (and my job) wrecked me and the other was a lazy sunday day off. so I'm feeling good about that. been going at a slow pace in the adventure mode but I wake up every day sore so I'm cool with that. one day I'll be able to worry about how long my sessions are but I'm not there yet.

game is amazing though. the biggest barrier is literally just getting strapped in and turning it on. once I've got the game turned on it's easy to bang out a session. and the way it's gameified is kind of basic but pretty fucking genius tbh. I'm sucking and blowing on every collectible and interactive object in the game and I'm always doing the boosted attacks during battles. if you're the kind of person who goes out of their way to collect coins in mario, for instance, this game will wreck you. the warm up and cool down stretching is awesome too. really great game and it should probably be in the mix for game of the year though I know it won't for most outlets.

Ditto! I wasn't really feeling it today but I fired it up to bank my 500 ring push/pulls yet as soon as that bouncy music came on I was bopping in place and excited to get back into it. Half an hour later at difficulty level 10 (my high so far) I am up to level 36 and looking forward to the level 40 unlock.

Oh, and yes, I am one of the 'collects every available coin or collectable whether I need them or not' players.

yeah! i'm not looking to lose weight or bulk up, just getting a healthier amount of exercise, so this is literally just exactly what i need and i'm impressed by how well-tailored it is

yeah, the levels before bosses are real trials heheh! weirdly enough i'm having the opposite experience with bow pull, i used to do archery so if anything it feels like it takes so little to pull back? that's just about the only exercise that feels "too easy" for me though

Bow pulls are one of my 'easy' exercises although I have never been into archery. It's funny how our bodies favour different exercises. I am doing so many exercises in this game that I would never willingly do because they wreck me. Whoever came up with the idea of 'Wii Fit + RPG' deserves a huge bonus!

Holy crap I just did a few levels in world 12 and I'm completely demolished. Things start to really pick up there.

😨 I am two-thirds of the way through world five so I have got that to look forward to 😒 .

oh perfect I didn't know there were those kinds of options. I've got an appointment Dec 22 so I'll take it easy til then

Also, you can cheese the running by lifting your heels up and down while keeping your toes on the floor. It used to work in Wii Fit too.

Jonnykong 🎉

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
😨 I am two-thirds of the way through world five so I have got that to look forward to 😒 .

On the flip side there's now a brand new level theme and music, so that's cool.

But yeah some of these levels are getting insanely long. And enemies are getting much tougher. In conclusion: my arms, abs and legs all hurt right now.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
some of the levels later on (i'm at the beginning of world 16 right now) start getting pretty tough, especially the boss levels. i think world 13 was my toughest world so far, but that's also because i tried to finish it in a single session and boy that was not a good idea haha

woo

Nov 11, 2017
On the flip side there's now a brand new level theme and music, so that's cool.

But yeah some of these levels are getting insanely long. And enemies are getting much tougher. In conclusion: my arms, abs and legs all hurt right now.

This is awesome though; I don't see any of us dropping this after a few weeks like many of us did with Wii Fit.

paranoodle LOL

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome though; I don't see any of us dropping this after a few weeks like many of us did with Wii Fit.

paranoodle LOL

Oh yeah none of this is a complaint at all. I love feeling sore, and I cannot get enough of this game. Like, ever. I wish my body could handle more than 45-60 minutes a day.

This game is gonna show up at my house today.

Any tips that will help to know before starting?

The difficulty range is between 1 and 30, and it primarily affects the amount of reps of each exercise you have to perform. Don't be afraid to set it lower on day one and then raise it afterwards if it's too easy.

Also the game expects you to put the leg strap on your mid-thigh, not your upper thigh where it might feel more natural. So if some exercises aren't registering correctly just make sure to check the placement of the leg strap.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah none of this is a complaint at all. I love feeling sore, and I cannot get enough of this game. Like, ever. I wish my body could handle more than 45-60 minutes a day.

The difficulty range is between 1 and 30, and it primarily affects the amount of reps of each exercise you have to perform. Don't be afraid to set it lower on day one and then raise it afterwards if it's too easy.

Also the game expects you to put the leg strap on your mid-thigh, not your upper thigh where it might feel more natural. So if some exercises aren't registering correctly just make sure to check the placement of the leg strap.

Thanks. The thing I'm worried about is how big my thigh is =/

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah that would help. Unfortunately I haven't done archery since elementary school lol.

Yep, me too. Day six for me, today, and I am breezing through things now that really made me work on day one. Remember though, it's not real exercise unless you go to a gym and lift weights 🙄 . Some days I leave Dragaux until the next day as I know I am almost running on empty and you never know how tough it's going to be.

That's the worst part isn't it? Not knowing what he's gonna throw at you next.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
My body has deemed today is my rest day. Two sessions destroyed me. Ring Fit is probably the hardest game ever made, legitimate speedruns on the highest difficulty being physically impossible.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I'm having a rest day today and wow does it feel good. I'll be all fired up for world 13 tomorrow.

Yeah, a rest day on Sunday was just what I needed. I have a friend popping round tomorrow early afternoon when I am normally doing RFA so I might have to have a light day tomorrow. Yesterday and today have been really hard work so that might not be such a bad idea. Hopefully, I can finish world five though.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a rest day on Sunday was just what I needed. I have a friend popping round tomorrow early afternoon when I am normally doing RFA so I might have to have a light day tomorrow. Yesterday and today have been really hard work so that might not be such a bad idea. Hopefully, I can finish world five though.

I am sure you will be able to finish it!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been addressed already but, I got to the end of World 2 last night, and despite everything going well and hitting Great on everything I did, I could only take Dragaux down to half his health before I ran out of hearts. Do I have to go away and grind and level up and come back? 😆

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm I think I was level 9 when I beat him on World 2, although we did come very close.

I'm assuming you're taking out the two dumbbells in his hands first? As long as you have full ab guard everytime, you should be able to scrape through, just make sure you're using the high attack exercises when possible.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Just checked, I'm Lvl. 9

IIRC I had to use some nutritional sustenance to get me through that battle and I was only on a difficulty level of one or two at that stage! I assume this particular battle is designed to be hard at this point to encourage the player to use that gameplay mechanic.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm I think I was level 9 when I beat him on World 2, although we did come very close.

I'm assuming you're taking out the two dumbbells in his hands first? As long as you have full ab guard everytime, you should be able to scrape through, just make sure you're using the high attack exercises when possible.
Yep yep

IIRC I had to use some nutritional sustenance to get me through that battle and I was only on a difficulty level of one or two at that stage! I assume this particular battle is designed to be hard at this point to encourage the player to use that gameplay mechanic.
Hmm...I don't recall seeing anything about this while playing? I had not played in a while so it's possible I forgot. But I remember wondering when that would become available to me. That's....odd.