• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Yep yep

Hmm...I don't recall seeing anything about this while playing? I had not played in a while so it's possible I forgot. But I remember wondering when that would become available to me. That's....odd.

I might be misremembering when they become unlocked. It's been a week so my old man brain is probably at fault. Let me google though and see if I can find out.

EDIT - nope, that was a waste of time.

Two suggestions:

i/ Have a look in the menu (top button on the ringcon, Y I think) and have a look to see if you have any
recovery smoothies
yet. If not then make some.
ii/ If not, have you unlocked a
town
yet? If so then you can go to the
shop
and buy
smoothies and smoothie ingredients.
iii/ If neither of the above apply because those aren't available in the game yet, sorry. Check the screen before you fight Dragaux and see if it recommends what colour attacks you should go in with. You can change the attacks at that point to give yourself an attack boost. For example, if it recommends red attacks then main red attacks in your load out. Then prioritise the dumbells as you have done and push the ab guard in as far as you can when you have to guard. If you can get it to max compression then you can minimise the attack to almost nothing on some attacks. Don't forget to slightly bend your legs and tense your abdominal muscles.
iv/ Good luck!

Last edited:

javac

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at the end of world 3, I wanted to do the boss fight today but I'm too damn tired, I'm dripping in sweat and my legs are shaking so I'll leave it there for today. Ive got it at difficulty 18 and I'm level 15 and I'm supper out of shape but I love this game so much! I've been pushing myself and luckily I haven't died in the game yet.

One of the things I'm having difficulty with actually is a weird thing, when running I often miss the parts you have to push the ring inward at the floor to jump. I actually bought a yoga mat to run on and lie down on and it helps a lot. Hopefully I can keep at it everyday day! My difficulty setting isn't the highest but I'm doing better than I thought I would and I try to raise it every day even if just a little.

I'm super impressed with this game, I bought it on impulse and it's the best gaming related purchase I've made in a long time. Not many people in my friends list play it which is a shame, would love to see others progress.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I got this today! Will only start playing on Friday tho
Any tips or things I should know before starting?

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Started this earlier and completed world 1. Yup, I'm unfit. Great fun though so gonna stick with it.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
javac I have been playing for a week and still misremember what to do to jump sometimes. Don't worry though it starts to become second nature most of the time so you just do it without even thinking about it. You are very brave to do it at that difficulty level since you say you are out of shape! 😨 I started on the absolute lowest difficulty setting of one on my first day, lol. I am at ten now, after a week and it's working me hard. If you can handle it though, good for you! Great to see your positive feedback. Don't forget to have the odd rest day when your body really needs it.

MotiD Congrats. Not really, the game is super well designed and welcoming; just play it. Just remember that the left joycon needs to be nearer the left knee than the groin, that's all. If you attach it too high up the thigh it will mess up the tracking. I generally have mine just above my left knee and it works great.

Feltrol Just play it; it's super fun. It can be as easy or as challenging as you want it to be; you can move the difficulty setting up or down at any time.

BorkBork One of us! One of us!

Fizzgig Join the club! Have fun.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
How do I know which difficulty setting is best for me? Does the game decide for me?

Yep, it's nice and simple. It just asks you a couple of questions and then suggests a difficulty level which you can accept or ask to increase or decrease. My first session it gave me the lowest difficulty setting of one! However, I am 54, overweight, I told it I never exercise so that was probably about right 😸 . The game is so well designed, it really takes away the barrier to entry to exercise. It makes it easy to start and so much fun. Any more questions though, just ask in here, there are plenty of regulars who post in here everyday.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
What are the best levels within the first 6 worlds to farm gold and ingredients?

Also, how satisfying is it to be playing this and seeing your friends log on to play Pokémon/Luigi's Mansion/etc., knowing that you're getting a full workout while they're sitting on their asses? It gives me a feeling of superiority lol (even though I know I'm just as often the one sitting on my ass playing Pokémon). I've had friends say "why does it always show you playing that workout game?" Feels good.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
ZiggyPalffyLA LOL re your friends but I have no idea about farming of gold and ingredients. However, if you select a world it tells you what is going to be available in that world before you start it, no? Just checking a few until you see one you'd like to farm is the best I can suggest.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
ZiggyPalffyLA LOL re your friends but I have no idea about farming of gold and ingredients. However, if you select a world it tells you what is going to be available in that world before you start it, no? Just checking a few until you see one you'd like to farm is the best I can suggest.

It does show that, but it doesn't really show you the amount of each or the total amount of gold available. Trial and error I guess!

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
How do I get the gold coins off the main road? Shooting at them doesn't do anything

God I love this game. I've been doing it 4 days out of the week. I refer to it as "doing my ring fit time" and when people ask I explain the game.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
How do I know which difficulty setting is best for me? Does the game decide for me?

The game will take care of you, don't worry. The Adventure is designed in a way so the first couple of worlds are there to help you fine tune the the difficulty for you.

How do I get the gold coins off the main road? Shooting at them doesn't do anything

God I love this game. I've been doing it 4 days out of the week. I refer to it as "doing my ring fit time" and when people ask I explain the game.

You suck them in, like a vacuum cleaner. I think it was explained on the very first level or something?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The game will take care of you, don't worry. The Adventure is designed in a way so the first couple of worlds are there to help you fine tune the the difficulty for you.

You suck them in, like a vacuum cleaner. I think it was explained on the very first level or something?

Oh that's right I totally forgot I could pull the ring out to do that!

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's nice and simple. It just asks you a couple of questions and then suggests a difficulty level which you can accept or ask to increase or decrease. My first session it gave me the lowest difficulty setting of one! However, I am 54, overweight, I told it I never exercise so that was probably about right 😸 . The game is so well designed, it really takes away the barrier to entry to exercise. It makes it easy to start and so much fun. Any more questions though, just ask in here, there are plenty of regulars who post in here everyday.

Just finished the first world. Damn... that was more demanding (in a good way) than I expected!

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I'm probably going to cave and buy this on Black Friday (hoping for a few bucks off).

Seems like it's a legit work out, would you agree?

Also, I have hardwood floors. Should I buy a small mat to work out in front of my TV? About how much space do you need?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps old news: Just did one of a "collect at least x items on a course with no monsters" level, and on the rerun the level was different. It was the same physical course to run, but items to collect were gone and instead various monster encounters had been added.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably going to cave and buy this on Black Friday (hoping for a few bucks off).

Also, I have hardwood floors. Should I buy a small mat to work out in front of my TV? About how much space do you need?

If you've got hardwood floors then I would recommend buying a mat for sure, and yeah it's definitely a legit workout.

Not sure about the exact specifics in regards to room, just as long as you can kinda freely move the ring all around you and also make sure you have enough room to sit down on the floor in front of your TV with your legs outstretched.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Gotta say that this is the first time in my life that I've wanted to keep exercising even though I was already tired out. Regular, repetitive workouts are just so boring while this makes me want to keep going to see what's next just like in other RPGs. There's also something super satisfying about pushing through the real pain to do those last reps to finish off an enemy.

I think that I'm going to agree with other posters that this is a legitimate GOTY contender. While Wii Sports was super popular but ultimately shallow and content poor and Wii Fit was mostly just a way to do typical workouts at home, Ring Fit Adventure backs up its motion controlled wonders with RPG mechanics, good production values, and a world with personality.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Mat or no mat is mainly a matter of personal taste. I do Ring Fit directly on a wooden floor, barefoot or in socks (but OTOH I'm used to run outside in barefoot shoes). But there are others in the thread using mats and/or shoes.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

If you have downstairs neighbours, definitely buy a mat. A few exercises might also be more comfortable on a soft underground rather than hardwood floors.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
It does show that, but it doesn't really show you the amount of each or the total amount of gold available. Trial and error I guess!

Hm, perhaps because it depends on how much the player collects? Are you farming for a specific purpose btw?

Oh that's right I totally forgot I could pull the ring out to do that!

Channel your inner Kirby!

Just finished the first world. Damn... that was more demanding (in a good way) than I expected!

Really glad you jumped into it 🐱 . Remember that you can always alter your difficulty level at any time, either up or down, if you find it's too much or not enough. Have fun!

It most certainly can be a legit workout. There are videos earlier in the thread from professional personal trainers who attest to such.

I use an old blanket folded in half but some here use yoga mats. That's really all the space you need. The in-game graphic exaggerates how much you need. As long as you have enough space to lie down, stand upright with your arms stretched over your head and enough room to the side of you so you can stand and bend from the waist to the side a bit, then you're good to go. Very little space really.

Perhaps old news: Just did one of a "collect at least x items on a course with no monsters" level, and on the rerun the level was different. It was the same physical course to run, but items to collect were gone and instead various monster encounters had been added.

Nice; good to know if one wishes to replay an earlier world level to wind down in a session.

Gotta say that this is the first time in my life that I've wanted to keep exercising even though I was already tired out. Regular, repetitive workouts are just so boring while this makes me want to keep going to see what's next just like in other RPGs. There's also something super satisfying about pushing through the real pain to do those last reps to finish off an enemy.

I think that I'm going to agree with other posters that this is a legitimate GOTY contender. While Wii Sports was super popular but ultimately shallow and content poor and Wii Fit was mostly just a way to do typical workouts at home, Ring Fit Adventure backs up its motion controlled wonders with RPG mechanics, good production values, and a world with personality.

Yep, it's a genius combination. Wii Sports was a Wiimote proof of concept more than anything else and RFA is what Wii Fit wants to be when it grows up.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it better to play longer on a lower difficulty or is it alright to just keep doing short bursts of tougher work?

I got it yesterday and chose intense difficulty, couldn't even get past the second stage.
Today I beat the first boss and feel absolutely fucking wiped out.
I could drop down the difficulty to perhaps last longer but I have no idea if that's more efficient training-wise.

In hindsight it's hilarious to look at the concerns I had over this game before I bought it.
The reviews i read all talk about a level being 5-10 minutes long, but is there any limit on how many levels I can do per day? If I want to do half an hour to an hour, is that feasible?

And how long is the campaign roughly?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Is it better to play longer on a lower difficulty or is it alright to just keep doing short bursts of tougher work?

I got it yesterday and chose intense difficulty, couldn't even get past the second stage.
Today I beat the first boss and feel absolutely fucking wiped out.
I could drop down the difficulty to perhaps last longer but I have no idea if that's more efficient training-wise.

In hindsight it's hilarious to look at the concerns I had over this game before I bought it.

Experiment what works best for you during the first couple of worlds. Chose the difficulty that suit your lifestyle and other training activities, while being able to maintain consistency and a challenge. If it's too easy, it might become boring. If it's too hard, more rest days will be required.

Qronicle

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
Bought RFA last week, thanks to one of the recommendation threads on here. The goal was to complement the very boring act of my indoor cycling training with Zwift, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. (Maybe even too happy, makes me wanna skip cycling, but somebody convinced me to participate in the Amstel Gold Race (NL) next year, so I really need the training.) I'm only at world three now and like Sonic-ing through levels, missing jumps more often than not, but I assume I'll get better at that.

Does the game keep asking about the difficulty level each time you start it up? It's pretty annoying there is no "It's perfectly fine as it is" option, which made me accidentally increase the difficulty to 26 (came from 22).

Anyway, yesterday was my third session with this game, stopped right before the W3 boss. The 150 squats I had to do pretty much wrecked me (I kept it on 26 because why not xD). Yesterday was also the first time I had to choose my available "attacks". Not sure which strategy I should have for deciding which exercises to keep, as I feel like some of them are really easy but do lots of damage... I think I would have preferred that all moves would stay available (and chosen by first picking the color).

I'm also wondering whether the game expands on quests etc from here on, or will the story basically follow the natural flow of doing each level per world once?

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Alright guys so I've started doing like 4 min Tabata HIIT exercise, but was thinking of getting this on Black Friday, does this really work you out to lose weight and keep fit I'm a 30 male average size but got a little tummy that I want to trim and combine with weight lifting ?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Qronicle After a few days, the game will ask if you feel the questions are asked too often.

And around world 4, side quests are starting to appear.

Further into the game, you'll get the possibility to have additional exercise slots.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally you want to have a high intensity, means many exercises in a short period of time.
It's better to give it all and last maybe 20, 40 or 60 minutes than playing the game in some kind of lazy mode for hours with long breaks.

Alright guys so I've started doing like 4 min Tabata HIIT exercise, but was thinking of getting this on Black Friday, does this really work you out to lose weight and keep fit I'm a 30 male average size but got a little tummy that I want to trim and combine with weight lifting ?
You lose most weight in the kitchen but this game can easily help you to lose some more weight, get you in shape, work on your mobility and tone your muscles.
The big muscle growths will happen during your weight lifting in the gym (where you should also always do some cardio and stretching btw).

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Ideally you want to have a high intensity, means many exercises in a short period of time.
It's better to give it all and last maybe 20, 40 or 60 minutes than playing the game in some kind of lazy mode for hours with long breaks.

You lose most weight in the kitchen but this game can easily help you to lose some more weight, get you in shape, work on your mobility and tone your muscles.
The big muscle growths will happen during your weight lifting in the gym (where you should also always do some cardio and stretching btw).
Ok so it's worth an investment?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I am wrecked today so no RFA for me but the 500 out of game ring exercising. I need to improve my nutrition and sleep. I should know better too 🤦‍♂️ I might drop down to 20 minutes and keep my current difficulty level and see if that helps too. I would like to be able to play RFA 5 or 6 times a week if possible as it is so much fun. At least I can get some things done that I have been neglecting due to RFA so there's that.

Is this getting a black friday sale anywhere?

A common question which unfortunately none of us can answer; sorry.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't seem to do hip lifts without the ring slipping and going flying away lmao. Anybody got any tips? Just squeeze harder?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so it's worth an investment?
I'd say yeah: I'm hitting the gym 3 days a week (mostly weight lifting) in my 30s and Ring Fit is a really nice addition to that training.
The game also has enough content that easily lasts 3 months if you play on a daily basis until you finished 100%. Probably much longer.

Chances are that you're going to keep playing this game because you simply want to, not because you have to.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting this for 59 euros on media markt for the Black Friday.
Also that and Luigis Mansion 3 seems to be the hot product on the online store right now. Every 30 minutes I check they sold 100 more units aprox.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Finally joined the level 100 club. 102 actually.

Man, world 12 is tough as hell. I love it.

I can't seem to do hip lifts without the ring slipping and going flying away lmao. Anybody got any tips? Just squeeze harder?

The way I do it is when I raise my hips my thighs push inwards naturally, so I keep the ring very loosely between my thighs when I start but then each time I raise my hips they squeeze so the ring doesn't go anywhere. Maybe it's just how my body works (?) but I'd recommend trying to move your thighs in when you lift and see if that helps.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finally joined the level 100 club. 102 actually.

Man, world 12 is tough as hell. I love it.

The way I do it is when I raise my hips my thighs push inwards naturally, so I keep the ring very loosely between my thighs when I start but then each time I raise my hips they squeeze so the ring doesn't go anywhere. Maybe it's just how my body works (?) but I'd recommend trying to move your thighs in when you lift and see if that helps.
Ah I see. I was actually holding the ring between my knees not my thighs that's the issue lol. Thanks!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
World 12 has been really rough on me. My body really doesn't feel great after the past two days, I think it's telling me to take a rest day.

This game is so good but I guess the addictiveness can be a bit dangerous. Each of my past few sessions I've really pushed myself to do one more thing before I stop (occasionally becoming 2 or 3 or 4 more things) and I'm starting to think that's a bad idea.

Oh well, a rest day isn't the worst thing to do. I'm glad I found an exercise I like so much that I only do rest days begrudgingly.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Just started World 4, the game's starting to open up with larger worlds and crafting. Definitely a bona fide JRPG.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Almost at the end of World 11 after two days. Stopped short of the boss and the first day was split with me finishing World 10. Won't be able to play again until Saturday, but making great progress.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
World 12 has been really rough on me. My body really doesn't feel great after the past two days, I think it's telling me to take a rest day.

This game is so good but I guess the addictiveness can be a bit dangerous. Each of my past few sessions I've really pushed myself to do one more thing before I stop (occasionally becoming 2 or 3 or 4 more things) and I'm starting to think that's a bad idea.

Oh well, a rest day isn't the worst thing to do. I'm glad I found an exercise I like so much that I only do rest days begrudgingly.

Took a day off yesterday (World 11 atm).
Ankles (jogging on a carpet in socks), shoulders (back presses), lower back (boat pose, leg scissors) and knees (wide/overhead squats) are sore as fuck.
Until World 7-8, I only needed like one rest day a week. I'll try a 3:1 workout/rest ratio over the next couple of weeks.

Ever since I started to keep my Apple Watch on during sessions I noticed that I work out the longest and burn the most calories on workout days coming off a rest day.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone else have issues with the planking? I don't mean physically, but the game won't register me going back down unless I plop myself flat on the floor.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else have issues with the planking? I don't mean physically, but the game won't register me going back down unless I plop myself flat on the floor.

Happened to me until I realized I always attached the strap in a way such that the joycon sits slightly on the outside of the leg. I rotated it a bit so that it is centered and it works fine now.

woo

Nov 11, 2017

This was me yesterday. I went to bed very early and got up late today so had a ton of sleep and rest but I still feel quite battered. I still haven't decided whether I should have another rest day or not. My body thinks it is an excellent idea but my mind is saying no, let's go! 😒 I have a history of pushing myself too far with exercise so I should probably err on the side of caution. Oh well, I'll do the '500' and see how it goes from there. I would have to chuckle if Nintendo were forced to put out a press release telling people to take it easy because too many people were overdoing it because they had made a game where people wanted to exercise too much.

Took a day off yesterday (World 11 atm).
Ankles (jogging on a carpet in socks), shoulders (back presses), lower back (boat pose, leg scissors) and knees (wide/overhead squats) are sore as fuck.
Until World 7-8, I only needed like one rest day a week. I'll try a 3:1 workout/rest ratio over the next couple of weeks.

Ever since I started to keep my Apple Watch on during sessions I noticed that I work out the longest and burn the most calories on workout days coming off a rest day.

Wear a pair of gym shoes/trainer/sneakers; that will help your feet out and indirectly the rest of your body. You feet will thank you for it.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Is there a running mode or a way to turn enemies off? My girlfriend wants to just run through the stages collecting coins rather than doing all the additional exercise.

Kanito8a

Apr 18, 2018
Is there a running mode or a way to turn enemies off? My girlfriend wants to just run through the stages collecting coins rather than doing all the additional exercise.

You can skip fights against minions once you get
The double jump
but you always have to fight the boss at the end of the stage if there is any.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Wear a pair of gym shoes/trainer/sneakers; that will help your feet out and indirectly the rest of your body. You feet will thank you for it.

Well, this is based on the incorrect assumption that the human body is not built to move barefoot, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Through millions of years, the human body has evolved into a creature that is very skilled at moving extremely long distances without any kind of shoes. The problem is that during the past 40 years or so, the sport shoe makers have invested billions of marketing dollars into make people (including specialists) believe that their shoe products will solve a problem that actually doesn't exist. And AFAIK, no unbiased scientific research prove that their running shoes solves anything, or reduce the injury frequency in feet with properly working mechanics. The only thing that wearing sneakers do is to become dependent on sneakers (which is an excellent business idea, but is terrible from health perspective). The incorrectly designed training shoes disable the mechanics of the foot and the incorrect design of most of these shoes will cause people to us an incorrect gait (such as heel striking due to the high heels of almost every running shoe nowadays, and heel striking cause the impact with the ground to be transferred through the body).

The foot is the most advanced mechanical device on the whole body (in terms of number of different muscles, number of different bones/joints, as well as the extremely large sensory system). Don't turn off most of its functions by putting it in over-cushioned, over-stable shoes with high heels.

Having said that, adapting a Western shoe-dependent adult foot to function properly (like it does for most small children) can take a loong time - I've seen figures of up to one year. For me it took around 5 months.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a topic I feel strongly about.