• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
After thinking that I was going to need another rest day today I did some chores in my flat and my body seemed to wake up and think that some RFA was not such a bad idea. So I managed 20 minutes of hard work in Adventure mode and stopped there. I could have kept going but after doing 30+ minutes in the last two sessions of RFA I thought I would rather do slightly too little than too much. Hopefully, I shall react okay to this tomorrow and I can do another 20 minutes. I did get to level 40 which was pleasing as I had been looking forward to that. World 5 is almost finished too so I'm looking forward to finding out what world 6 has in store.

There is absolutely no need for you to apologise jariw, if that works for you then more power to you; I was just concerned that you did not hurt yourself. However, you seem to know a great deal about this matter so I bow to your greater knowledge on this subject and trust that you know your own body well enough to look after it. This subject was raised in a thread on the old forum some years ago and the reasoning behind it made sense to me so good for you for making the transition. I would not be averse to doing so myself but I could not say it would be a priority for me yet.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This was me yesterday. I went to bed very early and got up late today so had a ton of sleep and rest but I still feel quite battered. I still haven't decided whether I should have another rest day or not. My body thinks it is an excellent idea but my mind is saying no, let's go! 😒 I have a history of pushing myself too far with exercise so I should probably err on the side of caution. Oh well, I'll do the '500' and see how it goes from there. I would have to chuckle if Nintendo were forced to put out a press release telling people to take it easy because too many people were overdoing it because they had made a game where people wanted to exercise too much.

Yeah it's kinda funny to think about, a video game so addictive that it's making nerds like me exercise too much for our own good.

I don't mind feeling sore but I'm starting to feel some pain beyond being sore in my quads and forearms, so yeah I definitely need a day off today. And tomorrow probably a light workout.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any sort of consensus on the game's reporting of burned calories being on the low side? I know i've seen people with fitbits and similar things saying that there's a pretty wide discrepancy between the game and other devices.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
skittzo0413 It's a good problem to have I guess. I used to be very fit when I was younger but I was never as keen to exercise as I am with RFA. I shall be glad when I can handle more exercise. Going from effectively no exercise to what I am doing now in a week is quite an adjustment when I think about it. My mind is willing but my body is not quite so keen to do all I want to do. Still, if it's making me listen more attentively to my body then that's no bad thing.

Is there any sort of consensus on the game's reporting of burned calories being on the low side? I know i've seen people with fitbits and similar things saying that there's a pretty wide discrepancy between the game and other devices.

Yes, that is a common thread throughout the discussion here. RFA only counts the elevated heart rate during the exercise itself; it does not credit us with an increase in heart rate in between exercises. Just from this alone, it will underestimate the number of calories burnt in a session. I don't weigh myself regularly so I don't fret about the calories the game says I have burnt. It is inconvenient for someone who wishes to use this metric of fitness but thankfully I am unaffected.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Anyone doing this with the Switch in tabletop mode? Is it practical?

It's fine for me (don't have a TV or monitor in my apartment). The only thing is that you may not see everything immediately during running sections to suck up/shoot objects, but the game doesn't penalize you for that completion-wise (you'll still get a 100% for the world as long as you just clear all the levels).

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine for me (don't have a TV or monitor in my apartment). The only thing is that you may not see everything immediately during running sections to suck up/shoot objects, but the game doesn't penalize you for that completion-wise (you'll still get a 100% for the world as long as you just clear all the levels).
Thanks!

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
For those who ordered from Amazon (UK in my case), how was your game packaged?

My order just arrived, and the outer Ring Fit Adventure box had no seal, tape or shrink wrap at all. The exercise ring and leg strap inside were in clear packaging, but this wasn't sealed either, just clear open bags. The game appears fully sealed.

Just wanted to check that's the normal packaging and I didn't receive a preowned copy.

Handsomejan

Dec 4, 2018

My order just arrived, and the outer Ring Fit Adventure box had no seal, tape or shrink wrap at all. The exercise ring and leg strap inside were in clear packaging, but this wasn't sealed either, just clear open bags. The game appears fully sealed.

Just wanted to check that's the normal packaging and I didn't receive a preowned copy.

I can confirm the same packaging in Germany. Bought it from a retailer and a friend from Amazon. Both were the same

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Just encountered my first no combat level (after World 1) that was focused on collecting eggs. Was pretty relaxing, save for that overhead ring pull. I don't have much pull strength, so holding it for that long was definitely draining.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
Just encountered my first no combat level (after World 1) that was focused on collecting eggs. Was pretty relaxing, save for that overhead ring pull. I don't have much pull strength, so holding it for that long was definitely draining.
I just realized today (day 30, world 11) that you don't have to hold the overhead ring pull the entire time. If you relax you will just stop on the track until you start pulling again. I always assumed that if you let go you'd fall and have to start over, but once they put obstacles on the track for me to avoid I figured it out.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I just realized today (day 30, world 11) that you don't have to hold the overhead ring pull the entire time. If you relax you will just stop on the track until you start pulling again. I always assumed that if you let go you'd fall and have to start over, but once they put obstacles on the track for me to avoid I figured it out.

That is definitely helpful info that I wasn't aware of xD

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I died in a level because I lost too many hearts, even though I correctly ab guarded all attacks, I didn't have enough hearts to survive the level. What does the game expect me to do?

woo

Nov 11, 2017

That's how mine arrived from Amazon UK: the RFA box itself did not have the little sticky circles over the box opening points like Nintendo games used to have and the clear plastic bags were just folded over and unsealed like yours, game foil-sealed as normal and this all came in an Amazon box. I don't think that you have anything to worry about here Paul. Enjoy!

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I died in a level because I lost too many hearts, even though I correctly ab guarded all attacks, I didn't have enough hearts to survive the level. What does the game expect me to do?

Can you make Smoothies yet? I tend to be slightly under levelled in each level, so I'm regularly using a smoothie or two as a way to survive the battles.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Just got the game today at Walmart only two left I never got wii fit just thought it didn't do anything but this looks like it will at least keep me fit. Hope it's selling well

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Well, finally decided to buy from Google Shopping and then despite Best Buy and Deep Discount having it in stock, Google says otherwise. Maybe eventually I'll get it from Walmart for $70 but I'd prefer to use that 20% off from Google and save a few more bucks, so I'll keep waiting.

Edit: didn't have to wait long. Bought for $70 after tax. Saved $16, not bad

Last edited:

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Well, this is based on the incorrect assumption that the human body is not built to move barefoot, which couldn't be further from the truth.

[.......]

Having said that, adapting a Western shoe-dependent adult foot to function properly (like it does for most small children) can take a loong time - I've seen figures of up to one year. For me it took around 5 months.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a topic I feel strongly about.

I think that might be it.
It's not like my ankles are sprained or hurt. They just feel weird bc I'm not used to walk more than 10 metres without shoes on.
Hell, even in my house I mostly wear Birkenstocks.

I'll get used to it.

Man just did the first world and I am beat my legs hurt but it was a good workout. I'll do world 2 tmmrw, I hope I get more chest exercises

Front Press is a chest skill.
You should already have it or unlock it real soon.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Can't wait to see all those swole Nintendo fans during launch line ups for Switch 2. People will just be doing squats and planks in line to pass the time

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see all those swole Nintendo fans during launch line ups for Switch 2. People will just be doing squats and planks in line to pass the time

Speaking of 2, I hope Nintendo is hard at work on a sequel to RFA. While I still have months to go before finishing this, the game is great enough so that I already want a follow up.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Just picked it up! I'm excited to start tomorrow.

Can you actually "beat" this game? Or does it just sorta go on forever? If so, how long does it take to "complete" the main story mode?

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
fuck squats

Is "good!" the best you can do for ab guard? I noticed doing attacks suboptimally gets you "good!" and optimally gets you "great!" but I always get "good!" for ab guard.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
fuck squats

Is "good!" the best you can do for ab guard? I noticed doing attacks suboptimally gets you "good!" and optimally gets you "great!" but I always get "good!" for ab guard.

"Great" is best for every move. Check the size of "yellow ab shield" in front of your character when you do the ab guard. The bigger it is, better results you'll get.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I can confidently say I've basically never used the muscles needed for the bow pulling exercise before. Definitely feel like those will be feeling sore tomorrow.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I only managed three hours of sleep last night so I am not feeling too great but am just about to dive in to see what I can get done today. Sod a rest day; I had one of them two days ago! 😡

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I've just been pressing it in basically as hard as I can, and it usually says "great".

Once I realized that the ring is really high quality and won't break I feel more confident just pushing it super hard.

Yep, me too. It can result in an almost perfect ab guard too, sometimes, where one loses only a tiny sliver of one heart. The extra hard work can't help but help with other exercises too.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can you actually "beat" this game? Or does it just sorta go on forever? If so, how long does it take to "complete" the main story mode?
There's an end to the game
and then the NG+ and NG++ start
But we don't know how long it takes to finish the game because nobody has reached it yet on era and it depends how often you'll exercise.
It does last some weeks even if you play on a daily basis.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, so I finished world 12 today fairly quickly and thought to myself "eh, what harm could it do to do 1 level in world 13?" Little did I know that that one level basically consists solely of the stupid squat-mobile. 78 squats later I'm feeling nauseous and sore and hating my stupid addictive personality.

This thread needs more before and after photos!

I've most noticeably lost weight in my face and I don't wanna show my face to all of you nutjobs in this thread.

But give it a few more months and I'll see how much the rest of me is improved.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
A nice little easter egg that you may not have found yet:
When on the mode select screen, instead of going into Adventure or one of the other modes, pull out on the ringcon and get something that's pretty cute

Also, sometimes Ring says: "Score!" Where does that come from? Ice hockey?

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have advice for doing the Warrior pose 1 properly? I find it super hard to bend over enough for the game to register, and flexibility isn't usually a problem for me. Also, my lower back kills the next day, which I think is bad since the game specifically mentions to keep my lower back straight. Am I bending from the wrong place?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Does anyone have advice for doing the Warrior pose 1 properly? I find it super hard to bend over enough for the game to register, and flexibility isn't usually a problem for me. Also, my lower back kills the next day, which I think is bad since the game specifically mentions to keep my lower back straight. Am I bending from the wrong place?

If I remember the pose correctly, you need to ensure that your back leg is further back and straight so that your centre of balance is not so over the front leg. You don't want the front leg knee to get over the front leg foot as that puts too much strain on the knee. If you get the back leg sorted right you should naturally find a nice balance point for your torso so that you can keep it upright. Does that make sense?

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
If I remember the pose correctly, you need to ensure that your back leg is further back and straight so that your centre of balance is not so over the front leg. You don't want the front leg knee to get over the front leg foot as that puts too much strain on the knee. If you get the back leg sorted right you should naturally find a nice balance point for your torso so that you can keep it upright. Does that make sense?

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I noticed my balance being a bit shaky and I bet that's why. Thank you!

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
There's a thigh buster mission that asks you to get between 1000 and 1500 points.

I got 1000 and 1300 and it still said mission failed. What gives?

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
There's a thigh buster mission that asks you to get between 1000 and 1500 points.

I got 1000 and 1300 and it still said mission failed. What gives?
It's indeed confusing but it means that you have to land between 1000 and 1500 points with your jump at the end of the level. Your total amount of points does not matter, only the points you get for the jump.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I went out to buy the game after reading this thread. After reading through everyones posts, I was too curious to wait to see if someone would get it for me for Christmas. I have played through the first world so far, and if anyone is interested in becoming friends, feel free to add me: SW-2232-5936-2901 .

Impressions:

1. The game is way more polished than I thought it would be, and the quality really adds to the experience and keeps you motivated.
  2. The warnings to doing it "my pace" are valid! The game's difficulty really surprised me. I wanted to do more, but by the end I was feeling it!
  3. The music is oddly catchy. The purposeful music helps you to keep a good pace without feeling rushed.
  4. Heart rate monitor is pretty accurate if you can get your finger placement correct.
  5. The "ながら" (I don't know the english) function surprised me. It was another cool aspect of the experience that kept me working out even after i finished my session.
  6. The workout reminder is a nice touch, and I hope that it will keep me on task.

Questions:

1. Why is there no way to access your exercise data without using the ring? After my workout I wanted to look at the friend and world rankings. I was a bit disappointed that I had to get the ring out to use the main menu at all. I know that you can use the buttons, but you still have to register as using the band and the ring.
  2. Are we supposed to be able to hit items that are simultaneously on both sides of the screen? I can never hit both and usually have to choose one.
  3. Does anyone else's ring squeak slightly?

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
A nice little easter egg that you may not have found yet:
When on the mode select screen, instead of going into Adventure or one of the other modes, pull out on the ringcon and get something that's pretty cute

I'm a bit confused. Doesn't that just

take you back to the title screen?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
It's indeed confusing but it means that you have to land between 1000 and 1500 points with your jump at the end of the level. Your total amount of points does not matter, only the points you get for the jump.

Is that possible? Typically a jump will be three-five silver rings followed by a gold no? That's 800 points.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I'm a bit confused. Doesn't that just

take you back to the title screen?

It takes you back to the screen where the ringcon and 'legstrapcon' move on the screen in accordance to any movements you make with them in real life. It is a little audio easter egg as you go back to it that I was referring to.

EDIT: Upon reflection, I think that calling it an Easter Egg was overstating it; it is more a nice little touch in the game that some might not experience. Sorry about that; I had a stonking headache yesterday and was working on only 3 hours sleep.

Last edited: