• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Do you guys have a favorite exercise skill?

The yellow one where you put your arms above your head and shake your hips from side to side. I like it because it's easy, it does ok damage (70) and I look incredibly butch while doing it.

Can you compare your track results to your friends'?

EDIT: Obviously, I'm also doing proper exercising like swimming and the gym. And, proper diet.

Have you got Nintendo Switch Online? If so you can do that if you go into the 'B' menu on the Ringcon.

By 'proper' you mean 'other' obvs.

😜

Does anyone ever accidentally let the ring slip and hit your junk while doing ab guards? This happens to me like once every play session and I feel like an idiot.

Nope; I saw a video of someone doing that and have managed to avoid that pleasure.

Oh. Did anyone else just want to die after trying out mountain climbers? Holy mother of hell I fell to the floor after those.

Everyone: "YES!"
They are pure evil. I hates them my precious, hates them.
Oh and I did a yoga pose yesterday and was wobbling all over the place so you are not alone. Trying to keep the body balanced on one leg works a ton of muscles. Yoga is no joke.

Finally over, 40, skill tree unlock! So good and I get some new moves over 100 power!

Congrats 😃 You earned it. It's so satisfying, isn't it?

According to the game, I did over 1000 squats and my legs feel it. I low key hate the leg skills in this game.

"Squats, squats, squats, squats, LOVELY SQUATS!" (Sung to the tune of the Monty Python 'Spam' song)

Are there some better arm exercises later in the game? All the red exercises that actually feel like exercises are very low on damage, while the high damage ones so far are all super easy, like turning your arms quickly or moving them in a circle above your head.

They are easy but build endurance. No-one is going to get massive arms playing this game but that still doesn't mean that our arms can't get a good workout. Most people don't need massive, super strong arms; they need some strength with some tone but more importantly, endurance. That's how I look at it anyway. Besides, any exercise that has one's arms out to the side or up for any length of time is going to work the shoulders well. Shoulders are notorious for not being good at endurance. Also, I believe that there are some pretty high red exercises that are unlockable on the outskirts of the skill tree that one unlocks when one reaches
level 40
but I haven't got to those yet. I think one of them has a damage output of over 200 IIRC.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Planks and mountain climbers, I'm on a mission, a month from today, to be able to perform these exercise without dying afterwards. If I can do that then this game enters god-mode status.

I can manage 10 or so planks without too much difficulty but any more than that has me struggling. Mountain climbers I can only do 2 or 3 before I am gasping; I unlocked them today too 😿 . Also, after joking about squats earlier I got my comeuppance by having to do a ton today. I also almost injured myself due to the Ringcon slipping. Fortunately, it was only the slightest of glancing blows to my crown jewels. That serves me right for boasting earlier that I had never done this 🙄 .

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I can manage 10 or so planks without too much difficulty but any more than that has me struggling. Mountain climbers I can only do 2 or 3 before I am gasping; I unlocked them today too 😿 . Also, after joking about squats earlier I got my comeuppance by having to do a ton today. I also almost injured myself due to the Ringcon slipping. Fortunately, it was only the slightest of glancing blows to my crown jewels. That serves me right for boasting earlier that I had never done this 🙄 .

The leg set is an absolute killer. I think there's a challenge in the middle of world 5. I foolishly fell for it and it was too late before I realised mountain climber was smack bang in the middle of it. I nearly died on the floor right there.

And this was on a day when I was supposed to be taking it easy on the legs lol

woo

Nov 11, 2017
The leg set is an absolute killer. I think there's a challenge in the middle of world 5. I foolishly fell for it and it was too late before I realised mountain climber was smack bang in the middle of it. I nearly died on the floor right there.

And this was on a day when I was supposed to be taking it easy on the legs lol

LOL that sounds about right.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Switch and RFA last weekend, and not a moment too soon... went to the doctor's this week and discovered I have stage 2 hypertension with a diastolic pressure of 90-92. :( I'm relatively young (36) and I'm 99% this is due to a medication I started taking this year, since my blood pressure has always been excellent, but I am also out of shape and about 20 lbs overweight.

The game is SO amazing. I've worked out 4 out of the past 5 days and just made it to World 3. I hate going to the gym (a lot of them are still pretty intimidating for women ngl) and while I take my dog for walks, I don't get nearly enough cardio so this will hopefully help.

Have any of you in the thread seen your blood pressure go down from regular exercise?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I bought a Switch and RFA last weekend, and not a moment too soon... went to the doctor's this week and discovered I have stage 2 hypertension with a diastolic pressure of 90-92. :( I'm relatively young (36) and I'm 99% this is due to a medication I started taking this year, since my blood pressure has always been excellent, but I am also out of shape and about 20 lbs overweight.

The game is SO amazing. I've worked out 4 out of the past 5 days and just made it to World 3. I hate going to the gym (a lot of them are still pretty intimidating for women ngl) and while I take my dog for walks, I don't get nearly enough cardio so this will hopefully help.

Have any of you in the thread seen your blood pressure go down from regular exercise?

That's great to hear. Have fun but be mindful not to push yourself too hard especially at the beginning. I went for a checkup recently and mine was in the 90s too although I am 54, overweight and (until RFA) very sedentary. I am due another checkup soon so I am hopeful that my blood pressure will have improved. My heart rate certainly seems to have done so and that is after less than 2 weeks of RFA. I shall certainly post my updated checkup results when I get them. I am impatient to have the checkup now, lol. Oh and gyms can be intimidating to us males too, unfortunately, but then I have never got on well with the whole male macho attitude.

Oct 25, 2017
That's great to hear. Have fun but be mindful not to push yourself too hard especially at the beginning. I went for a checkup recently and mine was in the 90s too although I am 54, overweight and (until RFA) very sedentary. I am due another checkup soon so I am hopeful that my blood pressure will have improved. My heart rate certainly seems to have done so and that is after less than 2 weeks of RFA. I shall certainly post my updated checkup results when I get them. I am impatient to have the checkup now, lol. Oh and gyms can be intimidating to us males too, unfortunately, but then I have never got on well with the whole male macho attitude.

That's where I'm at, too. I have another checkup in 6 months so I'm hoping using RFA 5-6 times a week and eating right (and cutting out caffeine 😭) will help. Fingers crossed all goes well at your checkup! That's great to hear about your heart rate, because the medication I'm on caused mine to increase, too.

I'm trying not to push myself! I generally stop when the game asks me if I want to take a break and cool down. My difficulty setting is fairly low for now (13, I think) and that seems to be the sweet spot where I'm sweating and exhausted but don't feel like I'm going to be sick. I really love how intuitive this game is!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

This is me. I got Ring Fit to go with my other workout since I learned I had borderline to stage 1 hypertension. This isn't 'official' from my doctor, but more of an observation I made since I get my pressure done twice a week and in October my bottom number was constantly in high 90s to 100 on a bad day with a somewhat high pulse of 92-94 resting. I am young too (early 30s), but I knew this could happen since high blood pressure runs in my family and I'm an overweight log.

With just my regular workout and making sure to do at least 10,000 steps a day, I got my pressure to the mid-90s, an improvement but still too high, and my pulse rate remained the same.

After getting Ring Fit with my other workout, my pressure is now down to 135/85 on average. That top number is still higher than I want, but my god that was a change in just 15 days in-game time (I got the game about a month ago). And my resting pulse is down to 85 (although, it will shoot to the low 90s to 100 when I'm nervous and anxious).

So yes, this really works and is helping me stay off of blood pressure medication. I do fear of running out of content since I want to keep doing this for years, but until then I recommended this to anyone is like me with even borderline hypertension.

Last edited:

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Started adding in sidesteps and oblique twists during all the arm moves to keep my heart rate up, it's nice that the joycons don't read the extra movement as improper form. Should hit level 100 in a couple days!

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Any tips for calibrating running on the spot as feels weird (normally run on a treadmill at the gym) and a bit too hard when trying to do fast (is doing bare foot as inside)?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
That's where I'm at, too. I have another checkup in 6 months so I'm hoping using RFA 5-6 times a week and eating right (and cutting out caffeine 😭) will help. Fingers crossed all goes well at your checkup! That's great to hear about your heart rate, because the medication I'm on caused mine to increase, too.

I'm trying not to push myself! I generally stop when the game asks me if I want to take a break and cool down. My difficulty setting is fairly low for now (13, I think) and that seems to be the sweet spot where I'm sweating and exhausted but don't feel like I'm going to be sick. I really love how intuitive this game is!

That's good to hear and thanks. You are braver than me in giving up caffeine though; I practically live on the stuff. I think RFA should really help you and I can't help but be excited to hear what your next test results are!

This is me. I got Ring Fit to go with my other workout since I learned I had borderline to stage 1 hypertension. This isn't 'official' from my doctor, but more of an observation I made since I get my pressure done twice a week and in October my bottom number was constantly in high 90s to 100 on a bad day with a somewhat high pulse of 92-94 resting. I am young too (early 30s), but I knew this could happen since high blood pressure runs in my family and I'm an overweight log.

With just my regular workout and making sure to do at least 10,000 steps a day, I got my pressure to the mid-90s, an improvement but still too high, and my pulse rate remained the same.

After getting Ring Fit with my other workout, my pressure is now down to 135/85 on average. That top number is still higher than I want, but my god that was a change in just 15 days in-game time (I got the game about a month ago). And my resting pulse is down to 85 (although, it will shoot to the low 90s to 100 when I'm nervous and anxious).

So yes, this really works and is helping me stay off of blood pressure medication. I do fear of running out of content since I want to keep doing this for years, but until then I recommended this to anyone is like me with even borderline hypertension.

It seems like there is months worth of content in RFA, at least, so hopefully, that will placate your anxiety somewhat. I know that anxiety is not always easily placated though and not always open to listening to reason, sadly, but even if it takes the edge off then that is welcome. Do you find that RFA helps with your mood and ability to deal with anxiety? It has given me a massive lift, I'm glad to say. Also, I would like to think that by the time you run out of RFA content or get sick of it there will either be a sequel or you find that your fitness has improved so much that you naturally slide into doing another fitness activity.

Any tips for calibrating running on the spot as feels weird (normally run on a treadmill at the gym) and a bit too hard when trying to do fast (is doing bare foot as inside)?

It's a bit of a misnomer if you ask me. My 'form' is more of a light shuffle than anything else. My knees don't get very high at all and sometimes, if my calves are feeling tight, I just lift my heels off the floor to keep the momentum going until my calves feel up to a bit more exertion. I'm not sure you could use the same form as you use on a treadmill as you have to stop yourself from moving forward. You will have to train your body to get used to a new way of moving, I think. Barefoot depends on what you are used to, I would say. If your feet are used to being bare then you may be okay but if they are used to shoes then you may find that you need some extra support. I use gym shoes but we have another regular ITT who is strictly barefoot and fine but he built up his adaption to going barefoot over some time.

EDIT: Rosur, I just had my daily RFA session and noticed that when the game wants you to 'jog' sometimes Tipp, the faceless avatar who demonstrates the correct exercise form, will sometimes pop up briefly on the left side of the screen and show you how the game expects you to 'run on the spot'. His feet barely leave the floor so watch out for that and you will see what I mean. He did not do it everytime so it may have been because I was just standing still for a couple of seconds when the game wanted me to jog, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I hit level 205 last night, and probably have another evening or two in World 23, which seems to be the final one. I know there's new game + and ++, but I'm really curious to see how it all works. Today will be day 50 (haven't skipped a day yet), and I've dropped ten pounds, and notice a lot of specific muscle toning that definitely wasn't there before.

It gave me the confidence to try running outside for the first time in over a decade, and I was able to get a mile in without anywhere near the amount of struggle that it would have been before.

My goals for each day are to log at least a mile in the jogging distance, and exceed 130 calories (though lately, it's been more like 230 as I try to get my jogging distance going). It ends up being 30-40 minutes of active workout, over the span of an hour or so after work.

I'm so happy that this thing exists, and I'm hopeful that they continue supporting it with future updates and sequels.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I havent been able to keep this up every day, both cause I'm lazy a lot and also cause its an actual fucking work out and I get sore, but I"m continually impressed when I do play and progress how the game keeps expanding and challenging you. You really can't just continue on in some weak as routine cause the game always throws something new at you whether its a more challenging or varied stage or "how about you do squats this way no"

Super well done.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
That's good to hear and thanks. You are braver than me in giving up caffeine though; I practically live on the stuff. I think RFA should really help you and I can't help but be excited to hear what your next test results are!

It seems like there is months worth of content in RFA, at least, so hopefully, that will placate your anxiety somewhat. I know that anxiety is not always easily placated though and not always open to listening to reason, sadly, but even if it takes the edge off then that is welcome. Do you find that RFA helps with your mood and ability to deal with anxiety? It has given me a massive lift, I'm glad to say. Also, I would like to think that by the time you run out of RFA content or get sick of it there will either be a sequel or you find that your fitness has improved so much that you naturally slide into doing another fitness activity.

It's a bit of a misnomer if you ask me. My 'form' is more of a light shuffle than anything else. My knees don't get very high at all and sometimes, if my calves are feeling tight, I just lift my heels off the floor to keep the momentum going until my calves feel up to a bit more exertion. I'm not sure you could use the same form as you use on a treadmill as you have to stop yourself from moving forward. You will have to train your body to get used to a new way of moving, I think. Barefoot depends on what you are used to, I would say. If your feet are used to being bare then you may be okay but if they are used to shoes then you may find that you need some extra support. I use gym shoes but we have another regular ITT who is strictly barefoot and fine but he built up his adaption to going barefoot over some time.

I wouldn't say worried necessarily since I'm only on World 13 and I still have several worlds before I finish even the main quest, but I'm also going faster than most. One month and World 13 when it took some here about two months.

I just want make sure this game last since it's the best with keeping my pressure down.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished world 13, and boooooy was it a bitch and a half:

I can't believe they designed it like this. If it wasn't kinda funny I'd probably have thrown the ringcon across the room in frustration.

Anyway I passed 1000 total squats today so that feels good/horrible.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

I can't believe they designed it like this. If it wasn't kinda funny I'd probably have thrown the ringcon across the room in frustration.

Oh, so it wasn't just me. Thought I did something wrong after I had to do that freaking thing three times. I was so pissed that I was ready to rage quit the level. Also got 1000 squats after I finished that day, lol.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so it wasn't just me. Thought I did something wrong after I had to do that freaking thing three times. I was so pissed that I was ready to rage quit the level. Also got 1000 squats after I finished that day, lol.

Absolutely terrible design. If that was intentional they would've at least made it so that the spring gets you right back up there with the next squat, but clearly that's not the case.

Also that was my final level in world 13 so Dragaux was there. Was a horrible, exhausting boss fight.

I do have a capture of all three of my falls there though, so that's at least kinda funny.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Absolutely terrible design. If that was intentional they would've at least made it so that the spring gets you right back up there with the next squat, but clearly that's not the case.

Also that was my final level in world 13 so Dragaux was there. Was a horrible, exhausting boss fight.

I do have a capture of all three of my falls there though, so that's at least kinda funny.

Did you do all the levels in World 13? I found the 'right' level by accident and when I looked at the ones I missed, they offered little incentive to beat because it was noticeable by the time and calories burn estimates that there was no boss at the end.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Did you do all the levels in World 13? I found the 'right' level by accident and when I looked at the ones I missed, they offered little incentive to beat because it was noticeable by the time and calories burn estimates that there was no boss at the end.

Oh holy crap, is that how it actually works??

Apparently I saved the "right" one for last. I actually thought that you had to do each level and once you do the final one that would be the "right" one. All of them have "bosses" at the end though. Some bosses are easier than others.

So yeah, I did every single level. The one with the squat cart was even worse than this one btw. It had me doing 78 squats in the span of about 3 minutes.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Oh holy crap, is that how it actually works??

Apparently I saved the "right" one for last. I actually thought that you had to do each level and once you do the final one that would be the "right" one. All of them have "bosses" at the end though. Some bosses are easier than others.

So yeah, I did every single level. The one with the squat cart was even worse than this one btw. It had me doing 78 squats in the span of about 3 minutes.

I thought that too, but you can fight the main boss right away if you find the correct level.

I haven't beating another level after the main boss, but seeing the levels I missed being done in seven minutes with only about 10 calories burn doesn't indicate a boss battle.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that too, but you can fight the main boss right away if you find the correct level.

I haven't beating another level after the main boss, but seeing the levels I missed being done in seven minutes with only about 10 calories burn doesn't indicate a boss battle.

There are bosses at the end of each of them, and the boss will give you a unique material you haven't seen anywhere else (at least yet, as of world 13). I always find the time and calorie estimates for the levels to be very misleading. I don't even know if they take into account actual monster/boss battles, or just the level itself.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
There are bosses at the end of each of them, and the boss will give you a unique material you haven't seen anywhere else (at least yet, as of world 13). I always find the time and calorie estimates for the levels to be very misleading. I don't even know if they take into account actual monster/boss battles, or just the level itself.

I guess I can check them once I play again tomorrow. It isn't like I started World 14 anyway.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Starting from World 9/10, they really jacked up the difficulty of the minigames. Now I don't even bother completing worlds 100% because some of the minigames are outright bullshit(I have a special kind of hatred for Dreadmill).

woo

Nov 11, 2017
That's awesome Buttonbasher, congrats!

Yeah, Biske, rest days can really help if your body really needs it. It gets stronger during the rest too which is something people don't always grok. They think that more is better but the body needs adequate rest time to adapt to the extra load that the exercise put on it. Glad that you are having such a good reaction to the game but then it seems to be a practically universal response.

Understood HeroR, fingers crossed here too.

😲 Sorry skittzo0413 but that had me laughing out loud, partly with schadenfreude but mostly with empathy for what you had to endure. The RFA devs are uber sadists, confirmed. I struggle with those jumps anyway but that is pure evil. The squats I don't mind so much but it's the instant requirement to go back up that kills me. Oh and I had the pleasure of the squat cart for the first time yesterday. That can be nuked from orbit too! 😡

Starting from World 9/10, they really jacked up the difficulty of the minigames. Now I don't even bother completing worlds 100% because some of the minigames are outright bullshit(I have a special kind of hatred for Dreadmill).

I hate to ask but what is the Dreadmill?

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Just beat World 4. Thank god Planks are an AoE and not a high damage single-target attack, else I would have died even harder today.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
😲 Sorry skittzo0413 but that had me laughing out loud, partly with schadenfreude but mostly with empathy for what you had to endure. The RFA devs are uber sadists, confirmed. I struggle with those jumps anyway but that is pure evil. The squats I don't mind so much but it's the instant requirement to go back up that kills me. Oh and I had the pleasure of the squat cart for the first time yesterday. That can be nuked from orbit too! 😡

Oh, don't apologize I was laughing too. In fact if it wasn't so funny I probably would've quit then and there but I did manage to appreciate the humor of the moment even as my legs were burning.

Still not as bad as the squat cart.

I hate to ask but what is the Dreadmill?

It's a minigame that has you running on a treadmill at various speeds in order to try and collect the most coins you can and avoid as many bombs as you can. It's tough because there's a delay in how the game senses your running speed.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Just beat World 4. Thank god Planks are an AoE and not a high damage single-target attack, else I would have died even harder today.

Give it time and they will be a fond memory :evilgrin:.

skittzo0413 LOL but agreed on the squat cart. I hate the jumps but that squat cart can GTFO. Hm, that treadmill sounds super fun and something to look forward to! 😒

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Got a session in last night after probably a week and a half of slacking, and it was Oops All Battles (even the gym node!) What a way to get back in, lol.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get back on it tonight for the first time in 4 days due to stupid man flu.

I thought I'd be able to finish world 4, but got side tracked by everyone's requests! Anyway, the game is still fantastic, and I actually noticed some definition in my abs when I looked at myself in the mirror which was nice.

Just need to get rid of the all the fat around the abs now..

Toscado

Dec 22, 2018
What's worse than wide squats?

Raising your arms and doing wide squats. These overhead squats are nasty.

Also, has anyone been able to master and offer tips for the Warrior Pose 3 yoga skill? It's the one where you start balanced on one leg, with your other knee lifted up, your arms raised above your head and you have to slowly bend forward/extend your leg out.

This skill appears to be my Everest. I can do about 2 or 3 before I'm wobbling all over the place. I'm gonna keep it in my skill rotation to try and perfect it, but apparently my balance is godawful.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Got this today and did world one. My legs are dead though I definitely didn't get too worked up, was just trying it out to start. This and Just Dance alternating will be good as this does some muscle work at least while Just Dance is pure cardio.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
My knee feels better again, so i did play again today. Even though I watched my form better to put less pressure on my knees in general. The game is realy addicitive and it was realy tough not playing for a few days

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Mega ab guards can go suck a fuck.

Anyway, world 4 down, and woah, world 5 looks quite big. I'm pleased to see this game clearly has a heck of a lot of content to keep me playing for months to come.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just started and can confirmed that in World 13, once you beat the main boss, all the mini bosses disappears from the rest of the World.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Been following the thread and bought the game on the back of seeing so many positive comments as well as YouTube videos of personal trainers vouching for it- surprising as I think the game can put personal trainers out of business. Only on world 2 but I have to say that it is stunningly good so far. Wife hardly exercises and she is leading the way. I put my difficult at 21 and it totally kicked my ass in such a good way...Nintendo are bloomin geniuses...

Demption

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my difficult is at 21 and im getting real exhausted which i want. But how big difference is between the 2. and 3. excercise level?

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Sorry if this was already asked but a friend gave me this game but their dog chewed up the ring portion. I saw the official ring is $45...any suggestions on good third party rings?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I'm having to take a couple of days break, my knees are so sore.

Sensible but are you sure your form is okay? Knees are tricky and you don't want to hurt them. It can be easy to get one's weight too far forward on some of the poses/exercises. Your form may be perfect and I am worrying unnecessarily but I wouldn't want you to really hurt yourself.

Yeah the intense and casual. Don't remember the other two.

I did this test for myself and posted the results in post #2619. You will need to do the same for yourself for the precise results but that post should give you some idea of how that would relate to you.

Sorry if this was already asked but a friend gave me this game but their dog chewed up the ring portion. I saw the official ring is $45...any suggestions on good third party rings?

I believe that may be a first for this thread so tbh I have no earthly idea. I didn't even know that there were any. Tbh if you got the game for free and spent $45 you would be a getting an absolute steal. This game is almost universally loved, it seems so it would likely prove to be a good investment. However, ymmv, so if you decide to go for a tp one perhaps you would be good enough to tell us how you get on.