• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I really tweaked my lower back on Friday (no idea how, it felt fine during and after my workout) so badly that I could barely stand up straight that evening. It's getting better but it's still not 100%, I probably shouldn't do any big workouts until it's completely healed, right?

Demption

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you doing more than one world per day? I think with the intense setting i won't be able to. But its a good thing to do proper workout once a day than 2 worlds with less of a challenge

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Are you doing more than one world per day? I think with the intense setting i won't be able to. But its a good thing to do proper workout once a day than 2 worlds with less of a challenge

I wouldn't think too much about many worlds you can finish in a day. The first worlds are realy short compared to the later ones. I dont think it will be possible to do one every day if you don't play like 5 hours every day or something like that. (some worlds took me 2-3 days even though i was playing 2 hours each day)

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017

I'd be very surprised if people were, the size of the worlds soon expand, especially when you start doing all the requests etc

Demption

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't think too much about many worlds you can finish in a day. The first worlds are realy short compared to the later ones. I dont think it will be possible to do one every day if you don't play like 5 hours every day or something like that. (some worlds took me 2-3 days even though i was playing 2 hours each day)
Ok thanks, didn't know the worlds become that much longer

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I really tweaked my lower back on Friday (no idea how, it felt fine during and after my workout) so badly that I could barely stand up straight that evening. It's getting better but it's still not 100%, I probably shouldn't do any big workouts until it's completely healed, right?

Right. I take it that it is muscular rather than spinal? If so then just keep active and move around until it feels strong enough for RFA. My lower back feels achy and stiff sometimes from RFA but no more than that. Some gentle stretching might help. Don't take to your bed and rest it though; the contemporary advice is to keep active as that will help it recover quicker than bed rest. Backs can be tricky and we depend on them so much so it would be better to err on the side of caution with this one, I think. However, you are best placed to judge. Hope you are feeling well enough to get back to it soon.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Right. I take it that it is muscular rather than spinal? If so then just keep active and move around until it feels strong enough for RFA. My lower back feels achy and stiff sometimes from RFA but no more than that. Some gentle stretching might help. Don't take to your bed and rest it though; the contemporary advice is to keep active as that will help it recover quicker than bed rest. Backs can be tricky and we depend on them so much so it would be better to err on the side of caution with this one, I think. However, you are best placed to judge. Hope you are feeling well enough to get back to it soon.

Yeah it's definitely a muscle thing, it's localized fully in the lower right part of my back and after stretching a bit (or leaning flat against a flat wall for a few minutes) it feels much better, but then after sitting/lying down for a bit it hurts again when I stand up. I've had this type of back pain before, I'm betting it's pretty common for people with desk jobs.

I just wanna be sure not to exacerbate it with this game since it's making chasing around my toddler very difficult and painful.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah it's definitely a muscle thing, it's localized fully in the lower right part of my back and after stretching a bit (or leaning flat against a flat wall for a few minutes) it feels much better, but then after sitting/lying down for a bit it hurts again when I stand up. I've had this type of back pain before, I'm betting it's pretty common for people with desk jobs.

I just wanna be sure not to exacerbate it with this game since it's making chasing around my toddler very difficult and painful.

Ouch! I don't suppose putting your toddler into an induced coma until your back is better is an option?

I got nothing.

Yeah, sitting all day is not great for the body. The good news is that RFA will really help you in the long run. Hang in there; hope you feel better soon.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Have been slacking the last few months and seeing 2 more kilos on the scale I don't want, I decided to pick this up for the winter days.

Did the first world and boy, it has been a while I have sweated that much at home. Was unsure at first with my old small apartment, but so far it worked fine and didn't feel the need to go for the silent more.

Neat piece of software. Let's see to what extend I stick to it.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019

There's a lady on you tube that does yoga for back pain...she's American and I highly recommend it...it fixed my back pain in 2-3 days...

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Finished World 14 and doing the side-quests. I don't know what it is, my the ab workout where you lift you knees on the ground don't calculate right me, so I can't do the Ab gym. I also decided to raise my difficult to 26 after spending weeks on 25. Not too bad, so I may got up to 27 and see if that kills me.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Finished the campaign (the first round), and it took me exactly 50 days. Here's my stats!

SLb40NP.jpg

I generally made my daily goal to run over a mile, burn over 130 Calories, and hit at least 25 minutes on the clock.

I've bumped it up to difficulty level 19 for new game plus and will likely continue increasing it when the time feels right.

I'm so glad this thing exists. It's really changed my entire attitude on fitness, and brought me out of my shell. I went into this having never jogged in my life, and now it's given me confidence to run outside (something I never would have imagined I'd have any interest/ability to do).

Excited to continue, and curious to see where this game might lead to in the future for Nintendo!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the campaign (the first round), and it took me exactly 50 days. Here's my stats!

SLb40NP.jpg

I generally made my daily goal to run over a mile, burn over 130 Calories, and hit at least 25 minutes on the clock.

I've bumped it up to difficulty level 19 for new game plus and will likely continue increasing it when the time feels right.

I'm so glad this thing exists. It's really changed my entire attitude on fitness, and brought me out of my shell. I went into this having never jogged in my life, and now this has given me confidence to run outside (something I never would have imagined I'd have any interest/ability to do).

Excited to continue, and curious to see where this game might lead to in the future for Nintendo!

Oh wow, congratulations!

Any new mechanics or stuff in NG+?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

SLb40NP.jpg

I'm so glad this thing exists. It's really changed my entire attitude on fitness, and brought me out of my shell. I went into this having never jogged in my life, and now it's given me confidence to run outside (something I never would have imagined I'd have any interest/ability to do).

You burn that many calories on just LV 18? Wow.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Any deals to save any $$ on the game + peripheral? I looked in B/S/T, eBay and local craigslist and couldn't find any.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Oh wow, congratulations!

Any new mechanics or stuff in NG+?
Thanks!

So far (three NG+ worlds in), I've noticed that the store continues adding new outfits (big fan), and a lot of the minigames that used to give bonus' for a B rank or higher, are now requiring an A rank. I'm level 214, and am hoping that there's another skill tree tier around the 225 mark (I think that's when previous ones unlocked).

The balance generally seems good, which was my main concern. Feels like a natural continuation from where I was at, rather than any huge difficulty spike.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Nice! Buttons You must have felt really proud of your accomplishment. Mind if I ask what one loses when one goes to NG+. Do you lose all your clothing, money and smoothies/ingredients? I never use smoothies except for the odd recovery smoothie or two if I want to take a break from doing the exercise so have masses of stuff that I never use which is typical for me with an RPG: "I'd better save this for later!" However, if one loses all of it then I might as well start to use some of it.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Nice! Buttons You must have felt really proud of your accomplishment. Mind if I ask what one loses when one goes to NG+. Do you lose all your clothing, money and smoothies/ingredients? I never use smoothies except for the odd recovery smoothie or two if I want to take a break from doing the exercise so have masses of stuff that I never use which is typical for me with an RPG: "I'd better save this for later!" However, if one loses all of it then I might as well start to use some of it.
Thanks!

It's actually really nice in that you don't lose anything. It just adds the new worlds on after the ending of the first playthrough. They seem to be the same order as before, but the enemies scale, and the story continues as you revisit the places you helped save. I was pleased that it worked out that way.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up today, stoked to get started. What's the recommended amount of play per day if you want to shoot for daily? 30 min?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017

SLb40NP.jpg

Wow kudos on playing it everyday!

My body would not be thankful if I attempted that.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Thanks!

It's actually really nice in that you don't lose anything. It just adds the new worlds on after the ending of the first playthrough. They seem to be the same order as before, but the enemies scale, and the story continues as you revisit the places you helped save. I was pleased that it worked out that way.

That's awesome; thanks. Looking forward to getting there without concern now.

Picked this up today, stoked to get started. What's the recommended amount of play per day if you want to shoot for daily? 30 min?

There isn't one but don't worry you'll find what works for you as you play it. Ideally, you want long enough to get a good workout in without going too long. I initially aimed for 30 mins per session but soon found that that was too much for me. I cut it down to 20 mins per session with a total rest day every few days and that seems to be just right for me for now. I could do more each time but it's a good idea to leave something in the tank for next time. You will have to factor in the difficulty level you settle on too. The game is super well designed all-around including how to settle on a difficulty level and how to tweak it over time. You'll see; enjoy!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

SLb40NP.jpg

I'm so glad to read stuff like this! Congratulations! You discovering outside jogging through this game is huge!

BTW, I just recently realized that parts of the Ring Fit's approach probably is based on the "Slow Jogging" ("niko niko running") approach, a health-focused/scientific-based method created by Dr. Hiroaki Tanaka. IMO, there are just too many similarities between the game and Dr. Tanaka's approach that it can't be a coincidence. (And BTW, the Slow Jogging approach work well on high levels as well: Dr. Tanaka ran a marathon on 2:38 at age 50, which is crazy fast. It would be equivalent to the 2nd best time at Boston Marathon 2019 in age group 50-54.)

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I'm so glad to read stuff like this! Congratulations! You discovering outside jogging through this game is huge!

BTW, I just recently realized that parts of the Ring Fit's approach probably is based on the "Slow Jogging" ("niko niko running") approach, a health-focused/scientific-based method created by Dr. Hiroaki Tanaka. IMO, there are just too many similarities between the game and Dr. Tanaka's approach that it can't be a coincidence. (And BTW, the Slow Jogging approach work well on high levels as well: Dr. Tanaka ran a marathon on 2:38 at age 50, which is crazy fast. It would be equivalent to the 2nd best time at Boston Marathon 2019 in age group 50-54.)

That is super interesting; many thanks for posting that jariw. Once or twice when I have been 'jogging' in the game which, for me, consists of gently lifting my knees up a few inches, I have thought that it feels good to do that and that I could see myself getting into real jogging at some point. I have tried jogging in the past but never stuck with it because I just didn't enjoy it. However, thanks to RFA my body is starting to gradually feel stronger and more capable and yes Ring, it does feel good to move my body. RFA has been a godsend for me because I have been embarrassingly sedentary for over 20 years. I was getting short of breath from walking up a flight of stairs, my weight was becoming a real concern and my checkup results were concerning in several areas. RFA has been an ideal first step for me to get back into exercise. I used to be very fit when I was younger and for the first time in a long, long time, I can see a distant light at the end of the tunnel to getting someway back to that. The game is even subtly putting the idea into my head about diversifying my food intake with their blurbs about different food ingredients. I have been in a food rut for a long time so that is no bad thing. The game got me to buy some green tea and yesterday I bought some bananas to add to some yoghurt. RFA is so well designed I really struggle to think of any criticisms that I might have. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is how the cooldown voice-over lady says "good job" when she should really say "good jerb" and start to clap.

Right, that's enough RFA love from me (for now); I'm off to read about niko niko running.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I started world 14 today with my back 95% healed, and it wasn't too bad.

My main issue was the Ab gym, which had me doing planks for the first time in well over a month (I hate planks). I managed to get them to register a lot better today though, but the problem is my floor has a short but rough carpet and by putting all my weight on my forearms and elbows on that rough carpet the skin is now really burning and bright red.

So I'll be sure to put down a blanket or something if I ever need to do planks again (please for the love of god make that never).

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I put my difficulty level up to 14 today and survived to post about it so that's nice.

I have been doing some looking into niko niko running. It is fascinating and I like how it looks like a gentle, slow shuffle. I can manage that! I was going to say that Dr Tanaka's book doesn't look like it is being published in the UK until next January so I might have to import but then I realised that that is only next month. LOL fully engaged and up to date with the outside world, that's me!

Ouch! skittzo0413 What about a long-sleeved t-shirt? Glad your back is feeling better though.

Good stuff Gig, enjoy!

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Will definitely have to play this in silent mode (newborn + exercising in early morning) which is a bit of a bummer to miss out on the cardio.

That being said, the main workout from the battles is actually really solid. More than enough to keep me doing it daily. Love that you can do workouts with rnig without turning on the Switch too, genius idea.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I put my difficulty level up to 14 today and survived to post about it so that's nice.

I have been doing some looking into niko niko running. It is fascinating and I like how it looks like a gentle, slow shuffle. I can manage that! I was going to say that Dr Tanaka's book doesn't look like it is being published in the UK until next January so I might have to import but then I realised that that is only next month. LOL fully engaged and up to date with the outside world, that's me!

Ouch! skittzo0413 What about a long-sleeved t-shirt? Glad your back is feeling better though.

Good stuff Gig, enjoy!

I guess a long sleeved t-shirt might work but I get hot very quickly during workouts so I prefer short sleeves.

My #1 solution is just avoiding planks forever. #2 will be putting a blanket under my arms.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
@skittz #1 = you wish! #2 = oh God, let it be over quickly and please don't mess up my arms as well!

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Will definitely have to play this in silent mode (newborn + exercising in early morning) which is a bit of a bummer to miss out on the cardio.

That being said, the main workout from the battles is actually really solid. More than enough to keep me doing it daily. Love that you can do workouts with rnig without turning on the Switch too, genius idea.
The silent mode provides decent cardio after a certain point. I've been finding myself going, "Are you KIDDING ME" because they just keep going during the levels in worlds 10 and 11.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

One book I think you (and other RFA fans) would enjoy is "Run for Your Life" by Dr. Frank Cucuzzella. IMO, it's an AMAZING book regarding health-focused exercise. It covers just about everything you need to know (about food, how the body works, why bodies start to store visceral fat, how to train the body to burn fat instead of glycogen, posture, full-body exercise, rest, sleep, how nature affects us, and much much more) and it's still easy and very inspiring to read. And you'll notice that his main message (move your body and have fun, and you'll feel better!) resonates very well with RFA.

Some reasons why I think Dr. Cucuzzella is a particularly interesting voice (compared to the average doctors or coaches writing books) regarding health-focused running:
* He's an excellent runner with a long experience himself. (He has run sub-3 hour marathons for 30 years in a row.)
* He has made some huge mistakes himself in the past, and learned from them. For example: he believed in the "high-carb" approach for athletes during the 1980s and 1990s, which ultimately made him pre-diabetic (a similar thing that happened to Dr. Tim Noakes BTW) - which made him realize that the research data from the past was incorrectly interpreted.
* He has transformed the hospital where he works to a sugar/sweetener-free hospital (for patients/workers/visitors) as a first for his U.S state. This was quite an achievement IMO, since the hospital has a contract with Coca-Cola.
* He uses pictures of himself as examples, when explaining bad/good posture etc. He knows how to do all the stuff that he suggests, in practice.
* He's hired by the US army, for the purpose of reducing the number of running-related injuries there (injured personnel apparently is a big cost for the army).

The examples from the medical world is mostly from his US perspective, as he sees his main mission as a working doctor to reverse the obesity pandemic and make people healthier there. So some of his reality might not be identical to how it works in other countries, but I believe most stuff is universal to all developed countries. He also gives many examples from other countries, such as the "mile runs" at schools in the UK and how that have improved the school results.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So my wife got me a good fitbit as a (very early) Channukah gift and today I decided to try and track my ring fit workout with that. So I used the weight lifting exercise setting because nothing else sounded like it would be accurate (my other options were running, biking, swimming, interval training) and here are the results:

1 hr 4m
135 bpm avg
171 bpm max
882 cals

Whereas the game tracked it as such:

ELhJ84RU0AUXnh8

I'm guessing the calorie amount is not quite as high as 882 but 319 seems WAY too low in comparison.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
So my wife got me a good fitbit as a (very early) Channukah gift and today I decided to try and track my ring fit workout with that. So I used the weight lifting exercise setting because nothing else sounded like it would be accurate (my other options were running, biking, swimming, interval training) and here are the results:

1 hr 4m
135 bpm avg
171 bpm max
882 cals

ELhJ84RU0AUXnh8

I'm guessing the calorie amount is not quite as high as 882 but 319 seems WAY too low in comparison.

Not that calorie counting would matter in any practical way, but how can you expect 882 for 35 minutes work? You're comparing apples and oranges here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not that calorie counting would matter in any practical way, but how can you expect 882 for 35 minutes work? You're comparing apples and oranges here.

Basically it's further confirmation that the calorie counting in the game is not remotely accurate due to the fact that it doesn't measure your calories being burnt while you're in the middle of performing an exercise.

It's just not even worth the game trying to give you that info if it isn't going to even try to be accurate IMO.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

1 hr 4m
135 bpm avg
171 bpm max
882 cals

ELhJ84RU0AUXnh8

What kind are you doing in this game? It takes me between 50 minutes to an hour ingame to burn 350 calories and I'm at level 27.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Same world, although I haven't finished it yet and save the requests for after I beat the boss. Then again, I could just be naturally slower than you.

Ah yeah I do tend to sprint for the majority of the level rather than jog, for some reason the jogging speed when running in place doesn't feel very natural to me. So maybe I'm getting through levels faster.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Ah yeah I do tend to sprint for the majority of the level rather than jog, for some reason the jogging speed when running in place doesn't feel very natural to me. So maybe I'm getting through levels faster.

What is considering jogging in this game? I tend to run to the speed where my character's hair catches on fire.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Congrats on the Fitbit skittzo0413. Which model did you get? I almost got one of these yesterday due to RFA after not having any interest in such devices or a smartwatch before. Amazon had it on offer for £75 yesterday instead of the normal £100 (Charge 3) but because I didn't really know anything about fitness trackers I decided to do some research first. Did that (which took some time) went back to Amazon and the offer was over. Bugger.

I ignore the calories aspect because it is all an educated guess anyway whichever device you use. However, RFA clearly underestimates this amount so I don't even bother looking at it.

Oh, I forgot to say, I had to go to give blood for some more tests this afternoon so I took the chance to hop on their scales. Last time I weighed myself there which was a few weeks ago now and before I started RFA I was 95 kg (209 lbs) but today I was 93 kg (205 lbs) so I am pretty pleased about that. There has been no change in my lifestyle or diet since the 95 kg other than starting RFA. I still eat the same as I did; if anything I have been eating slightly more. I am keen to see what the blood tests have to say.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Everytime I play this I always think I'll just do half an hour if I feel fatigued. An hour quickly passes. Time seems to speed up after the first 20 mins and before you know it you've built up a sweat.

I'm around 6th week on this game.

I still love it and love the fact that there is still so much challenge in the game I probably won't fully achieve for many many months of hard work.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018

When I was recovering from flu I went back to world 1 and worked my way back up to where I was which took about a week. It saved me from overdoing it and kept the workouts nice and short. I also finished off the side quests.

You could do that and exclude any back and core exercises. Stick to legs and arms or whatever you can manage without aggravating your back.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Everytime I play this I always think I'll just do half an hour if I feel fatigued. An hour quickly passes. Time seems to speed up after the first 20 mins and before you know it you've built up a sweat.

I'm around 6th week on this game.

I still love it and love the fact that there is still so much challenge in the game I probably won't fully achieve for many many months of hard work.

I usually try and keep my sessions to 20 mins or just over but today I was halfway through a request so kept going and ended up doing 30 mins. I was tired anyway so I think I shall sleep easily tonight! I did treat myself to some take away Chinese food from the local market afterwards though. I hadn't done that in such a long time it was genuinely a real and tasty treat.

When I was recovering from flu I went back to world 1 and worked my way back up to where I was which took about a week. It saved me from overdoing it and kept the workouts nice and short. I also finished off the side quests.

You could do that and exclude any back and core exercises. Stick to legs and arms or whatever you can manage without aggravating your back.

I do that sometimes when I want to keep going in a session but don't want to do what is next in the level I am on e.g. fight Dragaux. It can be nice to see those levels again and see how far one has come since one originally did them. I am already looking forward to NG+ even though I am still quite some way away from that.

Oh and skittz said yesterday that his back was almost fully recovered IIRC.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never really checked calories like this in my life, but over 800 in one hour? I don't see that, but could be that I just don't know. I often do cardio and lifting (3-4 times a week) and I got the game today, did the first world, and my watch said 230 calories in just over half a hour (Samsung Gear 2, so old as shit).