• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Everytime I play this I always think I'll just do half an hour if I feel fatigued. An hour quickly passes. Time seems to speed up after the first 20 mins and before you know it you've built up a sweat.

I'm around 6th week on this game.

I still love it and love the fact that there is still so much challenge in the game I probably won't fully achieve for many many months of hard work.

That's me.

There are more than a few days which I don't feel like turning on the game, but I do it and think 'I can just do 15 minutes and that will be enough'. An hour later, still going since I just get into it.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
That's me.

There are more than a few days which I don't feel like turning on the game, but I do it and think 'I can just do 15 minutes and that will be enough'. An hour later, still going since I just get into it.

Totally. The game is so inviting and you keep thinking just one more level and because you feel ok carrying on you just plough on because it's still so fun.

It's got to the stage now where my body pipes up before my brain does lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the Fitbit skittzo0413. Which model did you get? I almost got one of these yesterday due to RFA after not having any interest in such devices or a smartwatch before. Amazon had it on offer for £75 yesterday instead of the normal £100 (Charge 3) but because I didn't really know anything about fitness trackers I decided to do some research first. Did that (which took some time) went back to Amazon and the offer was over. Bugger.

I got the Inspire HR. I don't think it's a very high end model, I just like that it has a heart rate counter. I used to have a Flex 2 which was mainly for swimming but it didn't really do much besides count steps. Also it broke.

The Inspire HR was on sale during Cyber Monday weekend so I got it for like 30% off IIRC. So far I really like it, especially the fact that it lets you add an animal face to the clock face. That makes my daughter happy, she really likes owls.

I never really checked calories like this in my life, but over 800 in one hour? I don't see that, but could be that I just don't know. I often do cardio and lifting (3-4 times a week) and I got the game today, did the first world, and my watch said 230 calories in just over half a hour (Samsung Gear 2, so old as shit).

Yeah I have no idea how accurate it is but I think it generally just measures your heart rate over time and based on the weight/height you input it tries to calculate calories. Maybe it also takes steps/motion into account, I'm not sure. But my tracker says my heart rate was well over 100bpm for a little over an hour, peaking at 160.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm halfway through world 3 and not feeling Ring Fit Adventure at all. I mean, I'm going to continue because I need to and I get a greater variety of muscles exercised out of this than going to the gym and sticking with the elliptical every day, but the gamefication has been a turn off so far -- it feels like a mediocre F2P mobile game. I feel like I got more out of the workout videos I used a few years ago (Jillian, Zumba).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through world 3 and not feeling Ring Fit Adventure at all. I mean, I'm going to continue because I need to and I get a greater variety of muscles exercised out of this than going to the gym and sticking with the elliptical every day, but the gamefication has been a turn off so far -- it feels like a mediocre F2P mobile game. I feel like I got more out of the workout videos I used a few years ago (Jillian, Zumba).

I personally was hooked from the beginning but you do get a lot more game mechanics opening up relatively soon. If you haven't gotten the ability to craft smoothies yet that's coming up, and side quests unlock after you start world 4. You also get a much, much wider variety of exercises before too long.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I got the Inspire HR. I don't think it's a very high end model, I just like that it has a heart rate counter. I used to have a Flex 2 which was mainly for swimming but it didn't really do much besides count steps. Also it broke.

The Inspire HR was on sale during Cyber Monday weekend so I got it for like 30% off IIRC. So far I really like it, especially the fact that it lets you add an animal face to the clock face. That makes my daughter happy, she really likes owls.

I like owls....looks like I am going to have to have another look at the Inspire HR! We usually have Boxing Day Sales here in the UK so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can treat myself to something nice then.

That's a shame. I don't take the 'game' part of it too seriously tbh but then I don't think the game takes itself too seriously in that regard either. Given the translation and the over the top hammy/camp Ring voice-over, I think that the devs/Nintendo Treehouse are deliberately inviting us to regard it all as bit of fun to amuse us while we 'get sweaty'.

What were you looking for from RFA? Would it help to bump up your difficulty level? Have you investigated the modes other than the Adventure mode? They might be more to your taste. Also, you are still really early on; the game really opens up as you progress, in several different respects.

Hope it starts to click with you soon!

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What were you looking for from RFA? Would it help to bump up your difficulty level? Have you investigated the modes other than the Adventure mode? They might be more to your taste. Also, you are still really early on; the game really opens up as you progress, in several different respects.

Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations, but I was expecting something like Paper Mario presentation/writing (or at least that of Super Paper Mario), but the world, characters, and dialog of RFA just aren't clicking for me. I feel like I'd be getting more out of it if the game just ran through a 20 minute routine for me and I could focus on a radio/TV show instead.

Like I said, I'm going to continue onwards regardless, but I'm disappointed.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations, but I was expecting something like Paper Mario presentation/writing (or at least that of Super Paper Mario), but the world, characters, and dialog of RFA just aren't clicking for me. I feel like I'd be getting more out of it if the game just ran through a 20 minute routine for me and I could focus on a radio/TV show instead.

I understand; hopefully it will click a bit more for you soon. What about the exercise aspect though? Do you enjoy that?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Not sure why that was expected when it isn't made from the same team. It made by the same people as 1 2 Switch and Wii Fit.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Basically it's further confirmation that the calorie counting in the game is not remotely accurate due to the fact that it doesn't measure your calories being burnt while you're in the middle of performing an exercise.

It's just not even worth the game trying to give you that info if it isn't going to even try to be accurate IMO.

That's correct. RFA it can't measure calories, since it doesn't have the pulse data at each and every second. It can estimate what it would be as a minimum (for a well-trained athlete where the pulse isn't affected much), and everyone else would burn more than that. But that's really the only thing RFA can do with the data it has.

BTW, the distance info is fake as well. ;-)

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
I picked up Ring Fit a few weeks ago and have been playing every day since then. I have exercised lightly throughout my life, but have never really stuck with anything. The issue that I always run into seems to be happening with this game as well. In theory I should be gaining stamina, but everything just starts to feel more difficult with each passing day. Granted, I've earned numerous new and more strenuous moves in adventure, but I still feel like my stamina is decreasing over time. Is this because I'm hitting a plateau? Should I up the difficulty and power through until it seems like my stamina is increasing?

For slightly more context I am playing on Intense and shoot for 20 minutes on the clock, but usually go to about 30 minutes.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing this today and it set my intensity at level 22... which might be a bit much

I like the way they introduce you to the game, it definitely has a little bit of extra charm that Nintendo's previous fitness efforts lacked

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I picked up Ring Fit a few weeks ago and have been playing every day since then. I have exercised lightly throughout my life, but have never really stuck with anything. The issue that I always run into seems to be happening with this game as well. In theory I should be gaining stamina, but everything just starts to feel more difficult with each passing day. Granted, I've earned numerous new and more strenuous moves in adventure, but I still feel like my stamina is decreasing over time. Is this because I'm hitting a plateau? Should I up the difficulty and power through until it seems like my stamina is increasing?

For slightly more context I am playing on Intense and shoot for 20 minutes on the clock, but usually go to about 30 minutes.

Don't play everyday. Take a day or two off when needed. Like I play no more than two days straight in a week and I went from 20 to 30 minutes sessions to easily doing an hour a Lv 28.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
So my wife got me a good fitbit as a (very early) Channukah gift and today I decided to try and track my ring fit workout with that. So I used the weight lifting exercise setting because nothing else sounded like it would be accurate (my other options were running, biking, swimming, interval training) and here are the results:

1 hr 4m
135 bpm avg
171 bpm max
882 cals

Whereas the game tracked it as such:

ELhJ84RU0AUXnh8

I'm guessing the calorie amount is not quite as high as 882 but 319 seems WAY too low in comparison.

A lot of the fitbit stuff is really inaccurate when it comes to Heart Rate, and can be really really off on calories burned. I don't know if it gives you a real time feedback on your heart rate but maybe compare it with RFA's hr readings see if the two are close at least.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the fitbit stuff is really inaccurate when it comes to Heart Rate, and can be really really off on calories burned. I don't know if it gives you a real time feedback on your heart rate but maybe compare it with RFA's hr readings see if the two are close at least.

I have actually done that and the two were quite close (like ~5bpm off). This one I got is supposedly very accurate for this, I think it uses some sort of IR pulse to measure.

It's the Inspire HR, HR being for heart rate.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the calorie amount is not quite as high as 882 but 319 seems WAY too low in comparison.
I came to the conclusion that the calorie counter is actually kinda on point (with some little flaws) but the tracked exercising time is the big issue.

Lets compare those two stats:
64 minutes = 882 cals // 13,5 cals a minute
35 minutes = 319 cals // 9 cals a minute

RFA isn't adding the metamoblic rate at rest which so you can add another ~2 cals / minute onto the RFA stats and you get almost similar results.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I came to the conclusion that the calorie counter is actually kinda on point (with some little flaws) but the tracked exercising time is the big issue.

Lets compare those two stats:
64 minutes = 882 cals // 13,5 cals a minute
35 minutes = 319 cals // 9 cals a minute

RFA isn't adding the metamoblic rate at rest which so you can add another ~2 cals / minute onto the RFA stats and you get almost similar results.

Yeah, that makes sense when you break it down that way.

But on the whole that's not really useful information to someone working out. You want to know how many calories you burned during your entire workout, not just the active time.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I collapsed today and slept 18 hours in 9 hour increments. I might have been putting way more time after getting fired (yay...) but I guess I shouldn't be doing this 2-3 times a day 1.5-2 hours at a time? On the plus side I'm 16 days in and on World 13 so maybe I'm beating a Speedrun time?

Nov 3, 2017
Can someone more experienced please give me some advice? I played through World 3 today on my usual difficulty and at the end of my session (although I failed to defeat Dragaux) I felt strangely not very sweaty or tired?! Is this me making progress or is it some sort of fluke? I'm definitely planning to increase my difficult level next time

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017

I'd recommend doing the following:

1. Keep on playing until you reached 1-2 months worth of training days.

2. Rest for 2 days.

3. Create a new account and play the same amount that you played on the first day you got the game. (if you are like me, that means the whole of world 1)

4. Be amazed how much easier it is this time compared to the first time.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

Ring Fit is definitely more exercise disguised as a game rather than a game disguised as exercise. Personally I like it a lot more than going to the gym or following workout videos(like Insanity), but the actual game part of it is quite shallow. If you're looking for a deep RPG, this isn't it. The whole idea is to make exercise more fun.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god why is the world 14 boss level again filled with squat obstacles??? I had to do 72 squats to get to the boss. And it's an ab world.

Anyway I again tried to sync the RFA heart rate monitor to my fitbit Inspire HR and again the two were within 5bpm every time. So I'm guessing that means both are pretty accurate.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Oh god why is the world 14 boss level again filled with squat obstacles??? I had to do 72 squats to get to the boss. And it's an ab world.

Anyway I again tried to sync the RFA heart rate monitor to my fitbit Inspire HR and again the two were within 5bpm every time. So I'm guessing that means both are pretty accurate.

World 14 boss something else since it really mixed things up. Also, screw the spring jumps and leg raise guard.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I actually found the boss fight itself to be extremely easy. I guess I got lucky since I didn't get a leg raise guard but I got a seated ring press guard.

He was easy, but wasn't like the other battles.

Lucky you. I had leg raise and had to hold it for about a minute. Turn an easy boss battle to me nearly screaming in pain.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
He was easy, but wasn't like the other battles.

Lucky you. I had leg raise and had to hold it for about a minute. Turn an easy boss battle to me nearly screaming in pain.

Yeah that would've wrecked me too, I had done the ab gym earlier in my workout and already did like 10 sets of leg scissors before the boss fight.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
So I'm world 8 level 77 and this game has thrown me a ton of exercises that I simply aren't ready for yet particularly these combos and V2 ones. I need to be fitter to be able to manage them. Should I be using them or hope that I could replay the game and use them when I can handle them?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm world 8 level 77 and this game has thrown me a ton of exercises that I simply aren't ready for yet particularly these combos and V2 ones. I need to be fitter to be able to manage them. Should I be using them or hope that I could replay the game and use them when I can handle them?

By V2 you mean level 2? Those are the exact same exercises you had before, they just do more damage now. I don't think there's any change in reps/intensity.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Manatron You are overtraining! You should be getting incrementally stronger and capable not less so. Adequate rest with good sleep and good nutrition is vital or you will gradually break your body down.

Wikipedia said:
Overtraining occurs when a person exceeds their body's ability to recover from strenuous exercise.[1] Overtraining can be described as a point where a person may have a decrease in performance and plateauing as a result of failure to consistently perform at a certain level or training load; a load which exceeds their recovery capacity.[2] People who are overtrained cease making progress, and can even begin to lose strength and fitness. Overtraining is also known as chronic fatigue, burnout and overstress in athletes.[3][4] It is suggested that there are different variations of overtraining, firstly monotonous program over training suggest that repetition of the same movement such as certain weight lifting and baseball batting can cause performance plateau due to an adaption of the central nervous system which results from a lack of stimulation.[2] A second example of overtraining is described as chronic overwork type training where the subject may be training with too high intensity or high volume and not allowing sufficient recovery time for the body.[2] Up to 10% of elite endurance athletes and 10% of American college swimmers are affected by overtraining syndrome (unexplained underperformance for approximately 2 weeks even after having adequate resting time).

Please take this seriously. I did this to myself when I was younger and I am still living with the consequences of it.

Xaszatm The above goes for you too!

Started playing this today and it set my intensity at level 22... which might be a bit much

I like the way they introduce you to the game, it definitely has a little bit of extra charm that Nintendo's previous fitness efforts lacked

Oh, absolutely and I liked the Wii Fit games (for awhile).

I have actually done that and the two were quite close (like ~5bpm off). This one I got is supposedly very accurate for this, I think it uses some sort of IR pulse to measure.

It's the Inspire HR, HR being for heart rate.

It does; I just noticed today that it says that on the screen when one checks one's pulse. Plus, one can see two little red dots of light on button one presses if one waits to put one's finger on it.

Incidentally, I have decided to get an Inspire HR too. I hope you are getting on well with yours. If I don't with mine then I am holding you completely responsible because you made me buy one.

Can someone more experienced please give me some advice? I played through World 3 today on my usual difficulty and at the end of my session (although I failed to defeat Dragaux) I felt strangely not very sweaty or tired?! Is this me making progress or is it some sort of fluke? I'm definitely planning to increase my difficult level next time

Don't worry; it can vary from day to day depending on what you are actually doing in the game and how difficult or easy you find it. One day I might be sweating buckets and the next barely breaking sweat. See how you get on with the increased difficulty but don't be afraid to lower it if you find it's too high; you want to find the balance between doing too little and too much, both in time and difficulty level.

Ring Fit is definitely more exercise disguised as a game rather than a game disguised as exercise. Personally I like it a lot more than going to the gym or following workout videos(like Insanity), but the actual game part of it is quite shallow. If you're looking for a deep RPG, this isn't it. The whole idea is to make exercise more fun.

Well said.

Doing the posture set every day has really helped my back. <3

Nice 👍

I had a level right at the end of my session today where I had to stand on that little platform and do multiple squats just to move it forward on rails including going up inclines. That was bad enough and then they sent those bats/birds/whatever they are after me to chase me. I tried but they got some money. meh it's only money; I was rekt at that point. Still, it wasn't as bad as the joy of Dreadmill which I enjoyed for the first time yesterday. When I finally got through it I couldn't help but think to myself "LOL, my calves are rekt!"

Rest day tomorrow and oh how I am going to enjoy that! 😹

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea what I should be taking away from the Heart Rate Monitoring? The game hasn't really given me any idea of how to interpret the data or what rate I should be targeting.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Any idea what I should be taking away from the Heart Rate Monitoring? The game hasn't really given me any idea of how to interpret the data or what rate I should be targeting.

I don't think the game wants you to tbh. The game seems to be aiming to give you a good general workout without specialising in one particular area. One day it might ask you to do more cardio work, the next, strength work and the next, flexibility. It varies quite a bit but my feeling is that it wants to encourage the development of a strong body overall which gives the user a foundation to build upon with more specialised training if they wish. However, if this is really important to you I would do some googling to see what heart rate range you should be in for your age. Also, do some googling to see what heart rate you should aim for for different aims. For example, a slightly higher heart rate than your base rate might promote 'fat-burning' but an even higher rate might be good for cardio. I learnt this from googling 'niko niko running' which we discussed a few days ago; fascinating stuff. Hope this helps even though it's probably not the answer you were looking for.

Tenbatsu 😸

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Basically it's further confirmation that the calorie counting in the game is not remotely accurate due to the fact that it doesn't measure your calories being burnt while you're in the middle of performing an exercise.

It's just not even worth the game trying to give you that info if it isn't going to even try to be accurate IMO.
I suspect it is much more accurate than a fitbit as it has two separate sensors on your body checking activity. It also only counts when you are actively exercising...suspect fitbits cheat and treat short breaks as part of the exercise time

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
I am in love with this thing..am on World 3 at difficulty 22 having done 4 days of 25 min exercise in just over a week and I can see definition in my abs...incredible! Treated myself to a big Mac today as a reward for the effort....Will increase difficulty for my 6th exercise day.

x.f

Nov 1, 2017
I fell off of this hard after the first couple of days doing it. Maybe I went a little overboard with the initial difficulty setting, but I found myself unable to complete more than one level in a session. I wanted to do at least 30 mins of exercise a day and the levels only gave me about 10-15 mins. Maybe I'll try dropping the difficulty a few notches and try again.

Also has anyone figured out the best way to prevent the leg strap from slipping down? I've only been wearing basketball shorts and that strap slips when I'm doing the jogging sections

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I guess that makes sense. I appreciate the reply!

Thanks; you are more than welcome. Thinking about it again, however, perhaps that might make its way into a potential sequel. I hope so; it is a fascinating aspect of fitness. I just bought myself a Fitbit thanks to RFA and I never envisioned myself doing that! Much of my desire for one came from the HR tracking so you never know you might go down that direction too. Other, cheaper alternatives to Fitbit are available of course. Enjoy RFA!

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I'm on difficulty 28 and I want to try for max but I'm like barely surviving fights as is on world 4 even with my level matching the recommend. I use all my money to buy the new clothes. We shall see I can beat the boss. Last time I had to use so many smoothies but I didn't know there was a round where he would give out hearts

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm on difficulty 28 and I want to try for max but I'm like barely surviving fights as is on world 4 even with my level matching the recommend. I use all my money to buy the new clothes. We shall see I can beat the boss. Last time I had to use so many smoothies but I didn't know there was a round where he would give out hearts

Do Multitask workout for an extra 500 gold and you can get up 1500 extra experience along with other bonuses. Really helps with the grind.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Me and my girlfriend absolutely love the game but sadly we can only do it twice a week since we don't live together :(

How are you guys burning so much calories? We're only in world 3 but the missions don't burn that much calories, at least according to their estimates
Does it really get so much more intense later on?