• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Can someone explain the difference between moderate and intense? I chose moderate initially and am at level 17 or so. Should I go up to intense? Can I change it?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I have a big new year's eve party this afternoon/evening so I told myself I'd take it easy and do a short and light workout this morning.

45 minutes and 350 calories later... Whoops.

Happens to me all the time.

I'm tired, so I just do 15 or 20 minutes. One hour later, one more level so I can burn 350 calories

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
Can someone explain the difference between moderate and intense? I chose moderate initially and am at level 17 or so. Should I go up to intense? Can I change it?
you can change your difficulty anytime! when you start on a new day they'll ask if you'd like to adjust the level (you can make it easier/harder or say it's fine), and outside that if you go into the settings after loading your save you can set it to whatever number you'd like (1-30)

as for whether you should change it or not, i'd recommend just doing a day or two and deciding if the exercises are a good difficulty for you! the difficulty only changes the number of reps (and the hold time?) of exercises, it has no effect on the rpg mechanics.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
A masochistic part of me wishes they'd release an "ultra-intense" patch to up the max difficulty to 35 or something.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I have a big new year's eve party this afternoon/evening so I told myself I'd take it easy and do a short and light workout this morning.

45 minutes and 350 calories later... Whoops.

I had a rest day yesterday and wasn't really feeling it when I started up RFA, half wondering if I should have another rest day. Then once I got going I was enjoying it so much I ended up doing 40 mins which is double what I normally do.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
How prevalent is overheard reaching in this game? In my theater/game room I'll be having to step aside to stop from busting a ceiling light fixture with only 8ft ceilings, but it's not a big deal, just wondering how frequent such movements are.

Going to buy this for the Switch I was gifted this Christmas to help get me back into my exercise routine since I'm frequently getting home too late from work to want to bother going to the gym the last half of the year.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
How prevalent is overheard reaching in this game? In my theater/game room I'll be having to step aside to stop from busting a ceiling light fixture with only 8ft ceilings, but it's not a big deal, just wondering how frequent such movements are.
it depends on the exercises you set (and certain minigames) but overall i would say you hold your arms up above your head relatively frequently, you'll definitely want to be careful if you have a low ceiling

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Hope y'all are ready to Ring in the new year.....

I've been really enjoying this for the last week or so, it really only took a couple days to start feeling like I was getting some tangible benefit out of it, hoping to stick with it for awhile.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Hope y'all are ready to Ring in the new year.....

I've been really enjoying this for the last week or so, it really only took a couple days to start feeling like I was getting some tangible benefit out of it, hoping to stick with it for a while.

Ho, ho, ho! I was just thinking last year (a few hours ago) that many of the posters ITT would probably wake up with a nasty hangover and not feel up to RFA!

Well, there's months worth of content there so hopefully, you enjoy it enough to stick with it.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Managed to double my ring fit workout length since starting.

I was pooped at 10 minutes day one, now I'm just moderately sweaty after 20!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
We'll come out on the other side in much better shape :3 I'm up to world 4 in adventure.

That's good; the RPG side of things starts to gradually get a bit more interesting from that world on. Heh, I only played that for the first time about a month ago and am having fond, nostalgic memories of it!

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Also I was semi shocked when I looked up the developer and found it to be Nintendo.

After Wii fit and Wii u fit I didn't think they had it in em to make such a nice workout game.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Also I was semi shocked when I looked up the developer and found it to be Nintendo.

After Wii fit and Wii u fit I didn't think they had it in em to make such a nice workout game.

I know what you mean but occasionally the game reminds me of them in subtle ways. It sometimes reminds me of Zelda too especially with the clothing/smoothies/ingredients husband and wife. I can only imagine that the devs who worked on RFA had dev experience on a wide range of different Nintendo software prior to this. Unless someone does a forensic examination of the end game credits (I assume there are some; I haven't got there yet) and that someone shall not be me, then guessing is probably as good as we are going to get. I would have loved an Iwata Asks for this game :(.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So good news, I found if you raise the difficulty level it will also increase your reps on the fitness sets.

Bad news, I found this out because I raised the difficulty level by a grand total of 3 before doing the Stamina set 90 challenge and nearly died.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
So good news, I found if you raise the difficulty level it will also increase your reps on the fitness sets.

Bad news, I found this out because I raised the difficulty level by a grand total of 3 before doing the Stamina set 90 challenge and nearly died.

😲

Apart from a quick go on a 'posture' set on easy early on with the game I haven't delved into the sets at all because I have been too addicted to the Adventure mode. I keep meaning to but y'know. Thus, I have not idea what 'Stamina set 90 challenge' is but it sounds intimidating! I'm glad you lived to post about it! 😸

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
😲

Apart from a quick go on a 'posture' set on easy early on with the game I haven't delved into the sets at all because I have been too addicted to the Adventure mode. I keep meaning to but y'know. Thus, I have not idea what 'Stamina set 90 challenge' is but it sounds intimidating! I'm glad you lived to post about it! 😸

Stamina Set
Mountain Climber
Leg Scissors
Knee Lift
Side Step
Knee Lift Combo

Keep in mind that the Fitness sets will have more sets than your normal attack. I think mine were in the 40s-50s. In addition rather than a good/great system, a robot judges you on how you do on a 0-100 scale. The 90+ challenge means getting an average of 90+ points. It's not that hard so long as your joycons are working but they do force you to focus a touch more on form.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Stamina Set
Mountain Climber
Leg Scissors
Knee Lift
Side Step
Knee Lift Combo

Keep in mind that the Fitness sets will have more sets than your normal attack. I think mine were in the 40s-50s. In addition rather than a good/great system, a robot judges you on how you do on a 0-100 scale. The 90+ challenge means getting an average of 90+ points. It's not that hard so long as your joycons are working but they do force you to focus a touch more on form.

Ah, thanks. I am familiar with the scoring system as some of the requests are like that. I would have failed on the mountain climbers alone tbh. Even if I had to do 10 of them I would have still failed. The other exercises I probably could have survived but 40 to 50 of them? Not so sure about that! Mountain Climbers though can GTFO. That exercise is verboten in my household! It is evil and I will not permit such evil in this house! 😡

Oct 25, 2017
I think I might re-start. I got this near to launch and was around Level 16 intensity. Got to second world. Or should I take the difficulty down to get back into the swing of things?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I think I might re-start. I got this near to launch and was around Level 16 intensity. Got to second world. Or should I take the difficulty down to get back into the swing of things?

In those circumstances, I would probably re-start but that's because I know what I'm like. However, there's no real need for you to do so unless you feel that way too. The difficulty level can be adjusted at any time so you are not constrained in any way where that is concerned. You could pick it up where you left off and adjust the difficulty level mid-session if you find the difficulty level too much. The game is really well designed; it doesn't badger you to exercise or insist on you playing it a certain way. The easy alteration of the difficulty level/intensity at any time is just one example of that. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy! That's what it's about after all; exercising and enjoying doing so.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
I decided to buy this after hear its really good,I already gave up sodas and I work 5 days a week my watch says I walk around 9 miles a day,but I need something to increase my stamina and strength will this help?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I decided to buy this after hear its really good,I already gave up sodas and I work 5 days a week my watch says I walk around 9 miles a day,but I need something to increase my stamina and strength will this help?

Definitely! You won't get 'swole' from playing this but your body will get stronger and more robust. That's been my experience anyway although I was coming from a very sedentary starting point so frankly doing anything would have helped. My posture is better, I am losing weight, everyday activities are getting easier, and so on. Also, it's a lot of fun! Enjoy and do let us know how you get on.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Definitely! You won't get 'swole' from playing this but your body will get stronger and more robust. That's been my experience anyway although I was coming from a very sedentary starting point so frankly doing anything would have helped. My posture is better, I am losing weight, everyday activities are getting easier, and so on. Also, it's a lot of fun! Enjoy and do let us know how you get on.
Cool thanks,I want to loose some weight,I work at Walmart in produce,meat,bakery and I walk and lift heavy stuff but I strain lifting the heavy products i just want more pep.cant wait to get it from bestbuy.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Cool thanks,I want to loose some weight,I work at Walmart in produce,meat,bakery and I walk and lift heavy stuff but I strain lifting the heavy products i just want more pep.cant wait to get it from bestbuy.

Chose wisely, have you. RFA is pretty much a full-body workout that will improve your strength, stamina/endurance and flexibility and you'll have fun doing it. Anyone that wants to improve their fitness and sense of well being should give it a shot imho. The only people I wouldn't recommend it for are those who just want to be swole but then they are going to be lifting heavy weights for a long time while having to sort out their nutrition and sleep so have fun with that! Lifting weights is fine, I've done it myself but the idea that to get fit one has to go to the gym and lift weights is just testament to the amazing marketing job that the gym industry has pulled off. Exercise is exercise; the only right exercise is the one that the individual will stick to. Good job too in giving up soda; nutrition is a really significant part of getting fit.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Scoring 8000 in Core Crusher without hitting any shields for the exp set in world 10 is some grade-A bullshit. I can either go fast and get the score but hit shields due to the controls being too sensitive or go slow and steady and hit like 7000.

Edit: Aaaaaaand then I did it. I guess there is a rhythm to it but the motion sensing is still kinda finicky.

Edit 2: In general the requests haven't been too offensive but now they're starting to grate. One asks you to go through a course while dodging all enemies, and the combination of not being able to gauge distance due to the static camera and needing momentum in order to double-jump over them but being on-rails makes it harder than it needs to be. Not to mention I tend to engage every enemy on principle for more exercise. You might go for like 4 minutes of squats and ab twists and then get fucked in the last stretch by a pack of ghostly bois.

Last edited:

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
Edit 2: In general the requests haven't been too offensive but now they're starting to grate. One asks you to go through a course while dodging all enemies, and the combination of not being able to gauge distance due to the static camera and needing momentum in order to double-jump over them but being on-rails makes it harder than it needs to be. Not to mention I tend to engage every enemy on principle for more exercise. You might go for like 4 minutes of squats and ab twists and then get fucked in the last stretch by a pack of ghostly bois.
some of the requests get super egregious, but for what it's worth at some point you unlock a smoothie that prevents enemies spawning on a map, so it makes requests like that one trivial if you don't want to (or don't like to, or can't) dodge the hard way

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Scoring 8000 in Core Crusher without hitting any shields for the exp set in world 10 is some grade-A bullshit. I can either go fast and get the score but hit shields due to the controls being too sensitive or go slow and steady and hit like 7000.

Edit: Aaaaaaand then I did it. I guess there is a rhythm to it but the motion sensing is still kinda finicky.

Nicely done on the first one. I tried that and failed and put it to one side to try again down the road when I can do the movements without thinking but that will require practice out of the Adventure mode so that they become second nature. I chose to do a short request in world 12 IIRC today which required me to jump over all the monsters and kept failing it so I just restarted. Got it done after about half a dozen or so attempts which was a relief. I did 60 minutes of RFA today which is 20 mins more than I have ever done before in one session but my energy level was good despite no sleep last night and a quick nap this afternoon so I'm pretty chuffed at that. I am now at world 13 though and I couldn't help but chuckle at how evil that is. Hopefully, I am not too stiff to tackle that properly tomorrow.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
How do you guys recommend combining an AppleWatch or other fitness trackers with RFA?

I have started "Fitness Gaming" workouts so far, but calorie estimations between RFA and Watch are quite different. The AppleWatch seems to assume continued exercise when I'm not moving between sets, so I guess it overestimates. However it has access to heart rate readings, so might be more accurate here.

It doesn't seem to track when I'm not starting a "workout" (while it usually does auto-track during much lighter exercise like cycling..).

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you guys recommend combining an AppleWatch or other fitness trackers with RFA?

I have started "Fitness Gaming" workouts so far, but calorie estimations between RFA and Watch are quite different. The AppleWatch seems to assume continued exercise when I'm not moving between sets, so I guess it overestimates. However it has access to heart rate readings, so might be more accurate here.

It doesn't seem to track when I'm not starting a "workout" (while it usually does auto-track during much lighter exercise like cycling..).
RFA's calories estimations are quite low because it only count activity calories (only when you are doing requested moves, not when resting nor between moves in a set) so it will always be lower than watches and other trackers.

I use a Garmin Vivoactive 3 watch (set to Cardio exercises) and a chest HR belt so heart rate reading is more accurate.

But for both it's only estimations, not 100% real calories burned as many factors are ignored.
Most of the time I get 3-4 times more calories burned on my Garmin watch compared to RFA, depending on how much time I rest or spend in the menus.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a silly question, but how much room do you need in front/behind you?
I have a lot of room to my side, but no real room to stretch or lean forwards or backwards.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
Bit of a silly question, but how much room do you need in front/behind you?
I have a lot of room to my side, but no real room to stretch or lean forwards or backwards.
it depends on which exercises you set, but some require you to bend forward pretty far. that said, outside of specific combat exercises, i don't think anything else requires you to lean forward/back further than a couple inches.

some exercises also require you to lie down on the floor, and while that's easier to do facing the tv, you can just lie down parallel to it instead

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The leg strap is having a hard time staying on my big ass legs :( Which sucks because the High Knee thing is the exercise that does the most damage while also feeling like I'm decent at it

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Girlfirend and I are 3 days in and really enjoying the way the adventure is set up
We eat a plant based diet 80% of the time tend to cook at home and my main workout in the past have been navy seal fitness programs with a trainer.
I think the challenge early is not buying the outfits and doing multiple reps by always losing during the abs defense.
My girlfriend didn't use the smoothies and was laughing how difficult the minions were on the hard difficulties
Does anybody else play min-games after the cooldown?
So we are early in world 3 just got the treasure chest

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Hey guys I'm out of town and don't have RingFit with me, how the hell do I stop it from bugging me without the cart to entwr the game and delete the timed notifications? That alarm/buzzing/rumble is driving me crazy lol

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I just got back to RFA 2 days ago, and during my month-long pause (due to back pain and traveling for holidays), I didn't disable the alarm, I like the sound of guilt and shame, I suppose :'D

But yeah, going back to RFA after such a pause was truly easy as well, this game is truly a gem!

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Down with a cold right now, and not being able to do my Ring Fit routine is honestly more annoying than the runny nose and sore throat. Hopefully I can get back in soon and don't lose too much progress.

Oct 25, 2017
Still doing it! This is my only form of exercise atm and I've been doing well at going for 30-45 minutes (including stretching and menus) 4-5 days a week. Up to level 48, world 7, and difficulty level 17. I'm going to hopefully mix some running in over the next few weeks.

Unfortunately I've gained weight instead of lost it in the past month, though. A lot of that is because I'm not eating as well as I should thanks to the holidays/emotional eating (seeing a dietician on Thursday, though!) and I bet some of that weight is also muscle gain.

My diastolic blood pressure has started dropping, though! It's now down in the low-mid 80s, down from the low 90s. That's super exciting.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can this be played without the moves that require you to get on the floor? I'd rather play on my feet the entire time. Sorry if this has been answered earlier, just came into this thread.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can this be played without the moves that require you to get on the floor? I'd rather play on my feet the entire time. Sorry if this has been answered earlier, just came into this thread.
Yes, though it will take a long time to get a healing skill you can use and you won't be able to do some of the optional gyms.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the ab skills require you to get on the floor and do the dinosaur so you might have to do more work to deal with yellow enemies if you avoid those but otherwise I think you'll be fine.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I reached leg world and god that first course killed my legs so badly. Tried to do that challenge for that gym as well (in order to unlock the rest of the map), but the 4th leg skill where you have to move your thighs fast while in push up position was just too horrible for me, no thank you. It's the very first time I ended up faking an exercise, because my body can't handle doing it properly as of now (I can't do push ups). Maybe in the future though!

Can't wait for arm world, that'll be a breath in comparison, no more squats!

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm just under 30 hours total activity time on Difficulty Level 23 and I just got to World 20.

Is it just me, or is the Planks the ultimate sweat starter? I can do a lot of the other exercises just fine without breaking too much of a sweat but I do one set of Planks (21x for me) and come up drenched every time.

I reached leg world and god that first course killed my legs so badly. Tried to do that challenge for that gym as well (in order to unlock the rest of the map), but the 4th leg skill where you have to move your thighs fast while in push up position was just too horrible for me, no thank you. It's the very first time I ended up faking an exercise, because my body can't handle doing it properly as of now (I can't do push ups). Maybe in the future though!

Can't wait for arm world, that'll be a breath in comparison, no more squats!
I think you're talking about Mountain Climbers, I can't do them either. My yoga mat has just a little too much stick for me to do the movements it needs. I do very high knee lifts instead. Yeah it's faking it a little bit but at least it's still a workout and it the game will still read it like you're doing the Mountain Climber excercise, most of the time at least

Last edited: