• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I not only willingly set overhead squats into my fit skills for several levels, but I also had the courage to select that attack and use it and do it really well a few times today! And that was easily one of the hardest things I had to do early on. If that's not progress I don't know what is.

Now I'm gonna pay for it tomorrow...

So, I have a small gym that I put together on my garage.

Thinking about getting RingFit to add some cardio and light muscle training to my routing, specially when I'm lacking in time.

1) Do I need a lot of space?
2) Can I use it without any floor exercises?
3) Is the training good? As in, worth 80€? Not talking about the game quality!

1) You need enough room to lie down with your hands extended above your head and you'll be able to do every exercise.

2) You can do it without floor exercises, yeah. You can always choose which exercises to use and can avoid those, although there are a very small number of exceptions (sometimes during boss battles for instance). I think if there's any time you absolutely have to do a floor exercise (again, it probably happened to me all of 2-3 times in 25 hours of gameplay) you can do partial button assists for any exercise.

3) It depends on the intensity you set. I personally like to compare it to Insanity/P90X, and this is maybe a minor to moderate step down in intensity (I'm at difficulty level 22/30 mind you) but it's an enormous step up in motivation and ability to get you to stick with the game/routine. Even after I feel completely drained I still want to play and do a side quest or minigame or two.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Speaking of planks (too), there are two type of exercises from what I know. The standard on which the whole body is straight like plank (obviously) and the other on which the body is higher like pyramid and this is specifically shown in the game. My friend told me that the latter is easier to do but I think that both are hard to do. What do you think?
The other that I would like to ask is that I knew from gym / crossfit that you have to stay in plank position for some seconds or minutes. After a while, you try to stay longer and longer. For example you start as newbie staying for 30" and then one minute and then two minutes and so on. In the game, you don't stay for x time and you just do the repetitions. For the record, repetitions in the game are killing me! There are times that I am dead on the floor and I would like some time to stand a little to continue but still I don't know which method is the best.

IIRC Wii Fit asked you to hold a flat plank for a minute! I wouldn't worry about which is 'best' just play and enjoy the game and work at an intensity level that you can handle so you make progress but not so much that you give up on it. The most important thing is that you keep exercising.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
reminder - don't forget Multitask mode! I just started using it while watching TV and it's better than I thought!

Multitask mode lets you use the ring while not playing the game. Just press in on the ring's joycon thumbstick and wait for the lights on top to light up. You'll get extra coins and a gift box in game for every 500 reps you do out of game.

The coolest thing about it is that the ring still has haptic feedback in this mode, which adds a ton. Try a pilates ring without a joycon buzzin in it and it just seems lame and boring in comparison.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Woo turned the difficulty back up to lvl 24 and beat the first level in world 4. Doing this in between lifting days has been great. Granted this may not be feasible once I start really pushing my lifts since right now I'm starting off light until I can work my way back to lifting super heavy. Only doing 15-20 min days since I don't want RFA affecting my recovery too much for lifting days.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
reminder - don't forget Multitask mode! I just started using it while watching TV and it's better than I thought!

Multitask mode lets you use the ring while not playing the game. Just press in on the ring's joycon thumbstick and wait for the lights on top to light up. You'll get extra coins and a gift box in game for every 500 reps you do out of game.

The coolest thing about it is that the ring still has haptic feedback in this mode, which adds a ton. Try a pilates ring without a joycon buzzin in it and it just seems lame and boring in comparison.

Yeah I've been using the multitask mode this week whilst watching Netflix, it's great having all those extra coins when I log in.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a complete list of exercises that you can eventually unlock including NG+, please? I appreciate it could be considered spoilerish, but I'm curious to have a browse of what will become available down the line.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Started RFA Nov 2 last year, been working out weekdays only between 25-45 mins, just returned this week from a 16 day break over the holidays, currently on World 11, I'm not getting bored, issues with my back last year have gone, I feel fitter, I look slighly more toned, I'm only only on Day 28 of exercise, that's not a lot, to be feeling results that quickly with a big break in between is amazing. I'm not monitoring weight as I like to feel the results, plus toning will not lose you as much.

I find a real test of any workout is coming back from a break, and this game has smashed it, jumped back in, struggled for the first 3 days but now back into the swing of it and still loving it. My only qualm is I'm always time-restricted!

I've noticed that a lot of levels are the same but just with different goals, yet it's not getting old, this is a good sign and bodes well for the future, all I can say is this shit works, there are a lot of workouts that still mess me up badly, and my goal for the year is to be able to perform those without dieing on my ass. I also want to be able to perform the harder yoga-moves without nearly falling over!

My only gripe is you need to keep the ring-con joycon FULLY CHARGED, even a slight dip seems to cause mine to miss movements out, I think it's the sheer amount of rumble use and it drains the battery a LOT.

Happy New RFA Year to everyone 😀

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Heads up to UK peeps but Amazon are finally back in stock. Just got mine and expected delivery is end of Feb. Nowhere has had it for ages online or off.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
After read this thread, I want buy this game really bad. But here in Brazil it's fucking $160 dollars on the cheapest place I found.

Anyone know how to import for a better price?

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
Kept seeing people saying it was hard to find in a lot of countries. It's readily available in the US but thought I was grab it just in case anyways, especially hearing the good things about it.

I only played the first story on the hardest difficulty. Whew.

Seems fun.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Mantorok 👍 I noticed the other day when doing a yoga move how much I easier I find it now. Early on I would have been pretty wobbly and unsteady but now the same move I can do feeling like I have a really solid base. Noticing real-world improvements like that is super encouraging. The Tree pose is still not an option but I really enjoy the Warrior poses in particular.

I have only had light RFA sessions the last few days as I was suffering with keto flu. I accidentally slipped into keto so decided to keep it going and give the keto diet a go. Today I don't feel grotty though so am going to really enjoy being able to have more of a proper RFA session.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon showing £74.99 - seems expensive? Nintendo showing £69.99 but doing preorders - shipping due 31 Jan!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man two days in a row where I willingly set and did overhead squats as an exercise.

That world 20 miniboss is a killer btw, so many mega ab guards and other mega guard moves you need to do in such a short amount of time.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
My local Target had about six of these in stock when I went and picked it up last week. YMMV, unless the stock issue is an exclusively non-US issue.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
The Tree pose is still not an option but I really enjoy the Warrior poses in particular.

Oh boy the Tree pose is a trip! I got really angry the other day because I had to put my leg down halfway through a bee's nest and tried to put it back into position, expletives were plenty lol

If I can master that move in the next 3 months I will be very happy.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
After read this thread, I want buy this game really bad. But here in Brazil it's fucking $160 dollars on the cheapest place I found.

Anyone know how to import for a better price?

Wow that's crazy, when it comes back in stock you should be able to order from any Amazon regional website, but it sounds like stock is still limited.

Edit: Oh dear looks like people are exploiting it, it's now being sold £12 above RRP, here for example:

Says back in stock Jan 14th though

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Weird question, is there anyway to randomize the skill bar in adventure mode? I know you can have it choose a random skill out of the ones you have on there when you are in a fight, but what about setting them? Is it just the themed groups of exercises like "arms" or "aerobics"?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Weird question, is there anyway to randomize the skill bar in adventure mode? I know you can have it choose a random skill out of the ones you have on there when you are in a fight, but what about setting them? Is it just the themed groups of exercises like "arms" or "aerobics"?

To your last question, yes. There's not a way to truly randomize fit skills.

J.Edge

Oct 29, 2017
Wow that's crazy, when it comes back in stock you should be able to order from any Amazon regional website, but it sounds like stock is still limited.

Edit: Oh dear looks like people are exploiting it, it's now being sold £12 above RRP, here for example:

Says back in stock Jan 14th though

I'm literally right now kicking off at Amazon customer services on the off-chance they'll at least reduce it to the RRP. Playing the exploitative pricing and stock monopoly cards in the vein hope they take notice.

The person I've spoken to says they're "forwarding the issue to the internal team" where it will be "investigated and implemented soon", which could well be BS – worth keeping an eye if anything does change though?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Oh boy the Tree pose is a trip! I got really angry the other day because I had to put my leg down halfway through a bee's nest and tried to put it back into position, expletives were plenty lol

If I can master that move in the next 3 months I will be very happy.

I realised early on that I wasn't the young'un anymore who could do a Tree pose without difficulty so have avoided it assiduously ever since. When I had to do it for those bee hives I was steady as a rock on two legs! I need to lose much more weight and get even stronger before I tackle that pose again.

Ok, thanks!

It's not too bad setting skills each time but sometimes I just want a set that doesn't cater to my biases against yellow skills, lol. I am learning to love planks.

Well someone has to like planks! Although I would take them over mountain climbers every time. I tend to stick with the same exercises until I get a better exercise. I have a nice mix of powerful attacks with only a couple that I find hard work and enough skill slots that I can vary that attack depending on what colour is recommended. Today I even swapped out my healing exercise as I rarely use it. Might as well use that for an infrequent used but powerful attack.

I'm literally right now kicking off at Amazon customer services on the off-chance they'll at least reduce it to the RRP. Playing the exploitative pricing and stock monopoly cards in the vein hope they take notice.

The person I've spoken to says they're "forwarding the issue to the internal team" where it will be "investigated and implemented soon", which could well be BS – worth keeping an eye if anything does change though?

Good for you 👍.

Oct 25, 2017
i've been doing this daily for two weeks -- it's been a great way to bring me back into a bit of light exercise daily (having fallen off over the past few years)

my only complaint, so far (about level 40-something), is that some of the exercises I'd really like to improve on are some of the early moves that do shit for damage in the adventure mode. that, and things like mountain climber and planking are (for me) disproportionately hard compared to other sorts of exercises, and there's no way to tune individual types of exercises. so i either tune down the difficulty and don't get a good workout overall, or I avoid two exercises I'd really like to improve on.

i suppose that only really matters while I'm working through adventure mode, so it won't be as critical long term.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
FYI for anyone in the UK struggling to find this - it's back up on the official Nintendo store for pre-order (delivery at end of January).

woo

Nov 11, 2017
i've been doing this daily for two weeks -- it's been a great way to bring me back into a bit of light exercise daily (having fallen off over the past few years)

my only complaint, so far (about level 40-something), is that some of the exercises I'd really like to improve on are some of the early moves that do shit for damage in the adventure mode. that, and things like mountain climber and planking are (for me) disproportionately hard compared to other sorts of exercises, and there's no way to tune individual types of exercises. so i either tune down the difficulty and don't get a good workout overall, or I avoid two exercises I'd really like to improve on.

i suppose that only really matters while I'm working through adventure mode, so it won't be as critical long term.

The Plank is disliked by most of us so you are in good company there but Mountain Climbers are positively evil imho. I have avoided both for the majority of the game but I am up to level 150 ish now so hopefully, you reach that point soon. Occasionally the game will insist on a particular exercise but it's usually a one and done scenario. Many of the exercises do get upgrades as you progress through the game; I am on iteration 3 of some exercises now and they can deal a hefty amount of damage. Hang in there and they will come in time. There's probably a FAQ somewhere where you could check exactly how to unlock them but I enjoy the nice surprise of them suddenly turning up. It can feel like a reward for hard work.
You could work on the exercises you want to work on in one of the non Adventure modes but of course that would not help you in that mode.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Finally reached level 100 after a forced two weeks Christmas break. Still as motivated as on the first day. It's just a great game. There is also a lot of potential for improvements (e. g. with the egregious minigame sidequests) , so I hope Nintendo is working on a dlc or a sequel.

Did anyone find a way to cheese the minigame where you have to shoot back the discs to the robots by twisting your torso? I find this far worse than dreadmill.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Finally reached level 100 after a forced two weeks Christmas break. Still as motivated as on the first day. It's just a great game. There is also a lot of potential for improvements (e. g. with the egregious minigame sidequests) , so I hope Nintendo is working on a dlc or a sequel.

Did anyone find a way to cheese the minigame where you have to shoot back the discs to the robots by twisting your torso? I find this far worse than dreadmill.

You could just move your arms without moving your torso, I suppose. I actually rather enjoy the twisting exercises but this is one of the gym minigames that I tend to skip until I can be bothered to git gud at it in the minigame mode. What is your issue with the gym minigames? Most of the time they add a bit of variety, I think, without overstaying their welcome.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is not the exercise itself, but the fact that the motion sensing to me feels too imprecise to finish the minigame without a mistake, which is what the sidequest requires. Often I just want to turn back to the center, and it registers that as a complete turn to the other side, which then screws up the next motion.

In general the minigames are either too easy or very frustrating because they require more responsive controls. Only a few feel challenging and fair, like the one where you walk along a path and have to lean left or right to collect coins with a staff.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't bother trying to center unless there isn't a disc flying at you. Also if you can listen to the music the disc's fly to you in according to the beat.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I am in the middle of a session but just had to post to say that I just misread a request as: "What's so bad about fisting" 😲 It should be 'fishing'.

I swear I never would have done that before I got on the internet. I used to be so innocent!

The problem is not the exercise itself, but the fact that the motion sensing to me feels too imprecise to finish the minigame without a mistake, which is what the sidequest requires. Often I just want to turn back to the center, and it registers that as a complete turn to the other side, which then screws up the next motion.

In general the minigames are either too easy or very frustrating because they require more responsive controls. Only a few feel challenging and fair, like the one where you walk along a path and have to lean left or right to collect coins with a staff.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, some of the exercises are very finicky and one has to really concentrate on the perfect form or it will give a bad score. Occasionally I will do one I have done hundreds of times in the game and 'go through the motions' not really paying that great attention to what I'm doing and get caught out. It can be annoying, I agree.

Don't bother trying to center unless there isn't a disc flying at you. Also if you can listen to the music the disc's fly to you in according to the beat.

Great tips, thanks 👍.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
The good thing about mountain climbers and planks etc. is they remind you where you need to be. It's a great incentive to keep playing in the hope that some day you can do any of the exercises at any given time. That would be utopia.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
The good thing about mountain climbers and planks etc. is they remind you where you need to be. It's a great incentive to keep playing in the hope that some day you can do any of the exercises at any given time. That would be utopia.

Heh, I used to be able to do them when I was younger and very fit but not so much now that I am 54 and exercising again after being a slob for over 20 years. I'm in rush; I'll just keep plugging away at it and it will eventually come.

Today was a very heavy leg day because of the world I was in and of course, I tweaked my knee. I managed to get by and then the game made me do 42 mountain climbers in order to progress in the game. Nope, not happening! I was going to try but the game started registering them before I had got ready so I took the hint and cheesed the rest. It would have been rude not to, right? I hate cheesing them but there was no way I was going to really hurt my knee and be out of action for weeks if not months. I did an hour's worth of in-game exercise in the end so I may have cheated there but got plenty of good work in. My knee un-tweaked itself too so yay!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

For me mountain climbers and planks aren't that hard to do in general, I used to do them all the time when I did Insanity. The issue with them in this game is how finicky the sensors are for these particular exercises. It makes it hard to find motivation to do them, even if I want to get better.

On the other hand I've been trying to incorporate more squats (specifically overhead squats right now) into my regimen so that I can improve on those. It's good to find some "white whale" exercise that you really want to learn how to conquer.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just did mountain climber for the first time today in a Leg Day gym challenge. I don't know if my difficulty level of 20 had something to do with it, but the game asked for a lot of them.

That made me feel like I was going to yak afterwards :S but now I want to get good at them lol

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
For me mountain climbers and planks aren't that hard to do in general, I used to do them all the time when I did Insanity. The issue with them in this game is how finicky the sensors are for these particular exercises. It makes it hard to find motivation to do them, even if I want to get better.

On the other hand I've been trying to incorporate more squats (specifically overhead squats right now) into my regimen so that I can improve on those. It's good to find some "white whale" exercise that you really want to learn how to conquer.

It's not the sensors. The game does expect "perfect" form, however. I know that I can 100% both exercises when I'm feeling 100%, but it ain't happening when I get tired and sloppy.

It is very, very difficult to hit the exact positions the game expects without a mirror or an outside coach, I would presume. I've just been working out and doing these movements for forever.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just did mountain climber for the first time today in a Leg Day gym challenge. I don't know if my difficulty level of 20 had something to do with it, but the game asked for a lot of them.

That made me feel like I was going to yak afterwards :S but now I want to get good at them lol

Good News, at the highest level they go to 60
Bad News, at the highest level they go to 60

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Bought the game after Christmas because of the good reviews on here and on Amazon. Wanted something to add a bit of variety during winter as I don't run.
I just did the first world. Pretty fun and it made me sweat a little bit. I was surprised at how much resistance there is in the ring.

I'm in decent shape so I don't think it will make me lose weight or improve my cardio all that much, but I constantly have upper back, shoulders and neck issues because of poor posture, so I get the feeling the exercises, especially those done overhead and/or with the arms extended, will really help with that.

I also play on silent mode because I have a downstairs neighbour so I hope all these squats improve my butt a little bit.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Good News, at the highest level they go to 60
Bad News, at the highest level they go to 60

😆

Bought the game after Christmas because of the good reviews on here and on Amazon. Wanted something to add a bit of variety during winter as I don't run.
I just did the first world. Pretty fun and it made me sweat a little bit. I was surprised at how much resistance there is in the ring.

I'm in decent shape so I don't think it will make me lose weight or improve my cardio all that much, but I constantly have upper back, shoulders and neck issues because of poor posture, so I get the feeling the exercises, especially those done overhead and/or with the arms extended, will really help with that.

I also play on silent mode because I have a downstairs neighbour so I hope all these squats improve my butt a little bit.

Welcome 🐱. The game should help your posture. It has certainly helped mine. If you wish to work on your posture specifically there is a 'posture set' in one of the four game modes; not the Adventure mode, obv. I think it's called 'set mode' but I've only delved into their once so always skip past it on the way from the right side of the game modes to the left. Oh, and your butt will get plenty of exercise in Adventure mode!

Aug 1, 2018
I unlocked the wings ability a few days ago, and ever since then I've been in a perpetual state of this when playing:

picofday_3370285b.jpg

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Post Reply LOL some people pay good money for that kind of punishment!

I am lucky, I have only had a couple of glancing blows in 65 hours of play!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
lol

It had only happened to me a couple of times before, but my goodness... it's been relentless lately

I think we have just discovered that you are a closet masochist.

It's okay; no kink shaming from me!

I would tilt the ring-con so if it is going to slip it will go up rather than down. You should be able to do so very slightly. Or you could wear a cricket box like the fellow above should have done. I do like how Joe Root is desperately trying not to piss himself!

Aug 1, 2018
I think we have just discovered that you are a closet masochist.

It's okay; no kink shaming from me!

I would tilt the ring-con so if it is going to slip it will go up rather than down. You should be able to do so very slightly. Or you could wear a cricket box like the fellow above should have done. I do like how Joe Root is desperately trying not to piss himself!

Nintendo should just ship a black leather mask with this game, lol

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Welcome 🐱. The game should help your posture. It has certainly helped mine. If you wish to work on your posture specifically there is a 'posture set' in one of the four game modes; not the Adventure mode, obv. I think it's called 'set mode' but I've only delved into their once so always skip past it on the way from the right side of the game modes to the left. Oh, and your butt will get plenty of exercise in Adventure mode!

Will check it out. Cheers!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Nintendo should just ship a black leather mask with this game, lol

If you say so.

Pervert

65 hours???

What world are you in? I've only done about 25 hours, in world 20.

That's what it says on my Switch profile. Took me a few minutes to find it, lol, I had completely forgotten where Nintendo hid that info.

I am right at the beginning of world 17 IIRC. Are you sure that's all you've done? You started the game before me; indeed, it was your hype thread that was partly responsible for me getting the game.

Will check it out. Cheers!

👍

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's what it says on my Switch profile. Took me a few minutes to find it, lol, I had completely forgotten where Nintendo hid that info.

I am right at the beginning of world 17 IIRC. Are you sure that's all you've done? You started the game before me; indeed, it was your hype thread that was partly responsible for me getting the game.

You know what, I've been going by my "active time" counter, that's what has me at a bit over 25 hours (and like 11,000 calories). Next time I have my Switch handy I can check the overall play time.