• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
You know what, I've been going by my "active time" counter, that's what has me at a bit over 25 hours (and like 11,000 calories). Next time I have my Switch handy I can check the overall play time.

I just fired up RFA (wish I didn't have to strap up the left joycon on my leg to do so) and had completely forgotten that the game gives me those stats when I select myself as the user. It tells me:

19:10:35 time
6629.25 kcal
40.90 miles

Quite a difference! You are probably around 80 hours of game time overall then!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
What's a good amount of time a day I should do,so I can see results?i tried alittle today and boy I'm out of shape lol.

What you can do without ending it feeling completely wiped out and with a sense of enjoyment and satisfaction from what you have just done. That way you will keep coming back to it and you will progress. I started on difficulty level one and twenty minutes had me pooped. Now, just over a month later I am at difficulty level 20 and managed 60 minutes of actual exercise time, today. My progress has been slow but steady and that's what I would recommend. As long as you are still enjoying it and not dreading the exercise then you will be on the right track. Be aware that the game can get seriously addictive though so you might have to discipline yourself to stop before you really want to sometimes. Go by how your body feels and you should be okay.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
What you can do without ending it feeling completely wiped out and with a sense of enjoyment and satisfaction from what you have just done. That way you will keep coming back to it and you will progress. I started on difficulty level one and twenty minutes had me pooped. Now, just over a month later I am at difficulty level 20 and managed 60 minutes of actual exercise time, today. My progress has been slow but steady and that's what I would recommend. As long as you are still enjoying it and not dreading the exercise then you will be on the right track. Be aware that the game can get seriously addictive though so you might have to discipline yourself to stop before you really want to sometimes. Go by how your body feels and you should be okay.
Cool thanks for the tip.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol never skip leg day

Allegra's test was my second level of the day and I was like, "I'm doing good, I think I'll still have enough in the tank to do one more level after this one"

yeah no 😂 fuck squats and that tree pose ffff

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Lol never skip leg day

Allegra's test was my second level of the day and I was like, "I'm doing good, I think I'll still have enough in the tank to do one more level after this one"

yeah no 😂 fuck squats and that tree pose ffff

RFA won't let you skip leg day, that's for sure!

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
So we got this delivered yesterday and we had a blast with it last night. So much FUN! Got up early and we did a quick pre-work workout. Early days but I am so loving it. Thanks to the OP for this thread which pushed me into finally getting the game (been considering it for a while). My wife is a non-gamer and her initial reaction was like 'hmm, really?' but after 5 minutes she was 'hell yeah this is amazing!'

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Ok World 11 boss is sadistic but I enjoyed it in the end, anyway the game decides to throw me a curveball halfway through, I chose to do 2 ab workouts against one of them, started nice and easy with a Seated Ring Raise, followed by a Flutter Kick (which messed me up), so the enemy is dizzy and I have to do a counter-move - Pedal Rush!! (this killed me), but THEN he decides to attack me and another counter follows this time I have to do a frigging Leg Raise for 30s and hold it - my god, talk about punishment!

My stomach was aching!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Plainsong That was so awesome to read; thanks for sharing 😃 .

Mantorok Yeah but just think how hard the game is making you work which you probably wouldn't do without it. Plus you are having a lot of fun, right? 🐱

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's what it says on my Switch profile. Took me a few minutes to find it, lol, I had completely forgotten where Nintendo hid that info.

I am right at the beginning of world 17 IIRC. Are you sure that's all you've done? You started the game before me; indeed, it was your hype thread that was partly responsible for me getting the game.

So I finally checked my overall play time and I'm only at 40 hours. I have barely done any of the quick games or quick sets though, have you done lots of those?

Oct 25, 2017
I pulled a muscle in my lower back 😫 I'm pretty upset. I've been doing the warm-up and cool down every time I play. I wish I knew which of the exercises caused it so I could avoid it. I've taken a 3 day break but I'm still in a bit of pain. Should I keep going and do only arm stuff? I know there's the smoothies that change skills, so I should be able to make everything arm exercises, right?

Just not really sure how much longer I should take a break from the game, I don't want to make things worse but I also don't want to lose my momentum.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I pulled a muscle in my lower back 😫 I'm pretty upset. I've been doing the warm-up and cool down every time I play. I wish I knew which of the exercises caused it so I could avoid it. I've taken a 3 day break but I'm still in a bit of pain. Should I keep going and do only arm stuff? I know there's the smoothies that change skills, so I should be able to make everything arm exercises, right?

Just not really sure how much longer I should take a break from the game, I don't want to make things worse but I also don't want to lose my momentum.

I actually found one of the cool-down stretches do be the cause of my chronic lower back pain. Specifically, the one where you put your hands above your head and lean to one side to stretch out your obliques. I must have poor form on that stretch because every day after I did it I would have really bad lower back pain.

So I stopped doing any stretches in general that I wasn't 100% confident in. So it could be an issue with one of the stretches, rather than any exercise.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
So I finally checked my overall play time and I'm only at 40 hours. I have barely done any of the quick games or quick sets though, have you done lots of those?

Nope, I have done one quick posture set and that's it as far as those two modes go. IIRC you spring through levels though, right? I don't 😸 . I only get the orange hair most of the time. Sometimes I feel like running quicker but then I tend to miss hoovering up objects which annoys me. I am one of those compulsive typed that collects every last collectable even if I don't need it 😊 . Also, I expect I have much more down time in the game where I take a break to have a pee or make a drink or just catch my breath/energy. I am pretty time rich so don't have to fit RFA into a normal lifestyle of work hours and so on. I am not a normal use case I would think so I would imagine that would explain much of the discrepancy in our hours played. I play it at a pace I can cope with and am getting results so that's what counts 🐱.

Ouch! I feel for you as I had an enforced break from RFA for a week after I got a back spasm when leaning over the sink to spit out toothpaste. I was very frustrated and annoyed about it and concerned about losing progress and momentum like you but there was no way round it; my back would not let me play RFA at all. I had been doing a lot of abs and twisting exercises so I think that I had set myself up for it. As annoying as it is I would continue your absence from RFA if I were you. Give your back a proper chance to recover. Keep active generally though as that will help but be careful with posture and how you move your body so you don't tweak it. I would advise against trying to continue with only arm exercises as lots of exercises work a main body part but also have a secondary effect on other areas of the body. You have already invested three days into your recovery don't jepordise that by being impatient, tweaking your back and prolonging the recovery period. Once your back has recovered enough you should be able to feel the difference. At that point though please be cautious and not overdo it. Ease yourself back into it and don't go overboard. Do a light, short session and see how your body reacts to that. You'll soon be back in the swing of it. I know it's annoying but your body will thank you.

That's how I see it anyway. All the very best EverythingShiny; I hope that you feel much better soon.

skittzo0413 It sounds like you might be leaning slightly forward or backwards on that stretch. You want to be completely in 'neutral' and gently stretch to the side. It's a really nice stretch that feels great if you can manage it right. Hopefully, your RFA sessions will gradually strengthen your lower back so that you can try it again at some point. I would think that that is pretty likely since RFA gives such a full-body workout. As I sit here typing this I can't help but notice how much better my posture is thanks to RFA. Actually sitting on my 'sitting bones' with a straight back instead of slouching is such an improvement for me. It's just one of the many ways that RFA has improved my physical experience of reality.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice woo and skittzo0413, it's definitely my left side so it could be the stretches. I'll focus on walking the next few days instead of doing RFA and I'll try again (but avoiding a lot of the twisting stuff). I did notice that about a week after I started RFA I was having pain in bed when trying to shift from my stomach onto my side, but that was the only time it hurt until last Friday. I wonder if it's the warm up stretch that has you going side to side as well.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Today I was feeling really bold so I decided to put both overhead squats AND planks into my skill set, and wow! I was able to do both! I'm completely beat but it felt really good.

The only exercise left that I have trouble getting to register correctly is mountain climbers, and I think I'm actually getting close to the proper form with that one too.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Day 10 here, enjoying it, but looking forward to unlocking more Attack slots as it feels limiting to switch in and out exercises that are giving me the best workout. On Difficulty Level 20.

Also how the hell are you supposed to do Planks without burning off the skin on your elbows?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
My upper back is hurting today, but I think that's because of sleeping on a funny angle rather than this game. I think I'll still be taking a couple of days break from it, though.

Also, these people are lunatics,

That's a great read! Thanks!

Day 10 here, enjoying it, but looking forward to unlocking more Attack slots as it feels limiting to switch in and out exercises that are giving me the best workout. On Difficulty Level 20.

Also how the hell are you supposed to do Planks without burning off the skin on your elbows?

Put a blanket down under your forearns, that's what worked for me.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I pulled a muscle in my lower back 😫 I'm pretty upset. I've been doing the warm-up and cool down every time I play. I wish I knew which of the exercises caused it so I could avoid it.

Lower back? I would say leg raises, planks or squats may challenge the back area, of course it could also be poor form on any of the exercises. What's on your Fit Skills at the moment?

Also, I would say it's fine to continue with arm exercises and lightweight leg exercises (i.e. knee lifts), also standing ab exercises should be ok, if it causes you pain at any time then just stop, these days it's best to keep moving when you pull your back, but just take it easy, there's plenty of exercises that shoudn't aggrevate it.

Good luck 👍

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't getting anything from the Thigh Press exercise, and was a little bummed out that I eventually had to swap out my favourite front press because it just wasn't putting out the damage I needed it to.

Then I realized I can just squeeze the ring con with my arms instead of thighs for the thigh press, and spiritually keep the front press around

MFW I cheat one exercise to do another one I preferred much more:

source.gif

I pop some grippy slippers under my forearms

Oct 25, 2017
Lower back? I would say leg raises, planks or squats may challenge the back area, of course it could also be poor form on any of the exercises. What's on your Fit Skills at the moment?

Also, I would say it's fine to continue with arm exercises and lightweight leg exercises (i.e. knee lifts), also standing ab exercises should be ok, if it causes you pain at any time then just stop, these days it's best to keep moving when you pull your back, but just take it easy, there's plenty of exercises that shoudn't aggrevate it.

Good luck 👍

I'll have to check. My squat form is good; I worked with a personal trainer for like 2 years so I've got proper form on that down and feel pretty comfortable doing the wide squat and overhead squat (both I used a lot last week). It's the left side of my lower back, but I've had back issues (and I had arthroscopic surgery on my right hip 5 years ago) since I was a kid so I'm not surprised it's acting up.

It may be Revolved Crescent Lunge Pose. I used that one a lot last week (it does so much damage lol) and I'm not sure about my form on that one.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'll have to check. My squat form is good; I worked with a personal trainer for like 2 years so I've got proper form on that down and feel pretty comfortable doing the wide squat and overhead squat (both I used a lot last week). It's the left side of my lower back, but I've had back issues (and I had arthroscopic surgery on my right hip 5 years ago) since I was a kid so I'm not surprised it's acting up.

It may be Revolved Crescent Lunge Pose. I used that one a lot last week (it does so much damage lol) and I'm not sure about my form on that one.

Yeah I can't even do that pose lol. It could be a prime candidate. I think overhead squats might be quite intensive on the back as well. You are much more capable than I am with these exercise so I don't think I would be qualified to comment.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
EverythingShiny I was thinking about this some more during my RFA session this afternoon. I think that most people are naturally stronger in certain body parts than others because of how they use their body in their day to day life. However, since RFA is effectively a full-body workout it will tend to put more of a strain on certain areas because they are weaker. So you might have an exercise that targets a particular body part that you have no trouble in doing where that body part is concerned but it also affects another part of the body that is not as strong. Once you are recovered enough to return to RFA it wouldn't hurt to really pay attention to how your body feels doing various exercises. You might be able to identify the culprit(s) by doing so. If you can do that then you can work out if it's feasible to keep doing the exercise(s) to strengthen that area or whether you need to take another tack. With regard to that dynamic stretch to the side I think it's a bit quick tbh. I think that's it's always best to go at the pace your body is telling you it can handle rather than rush to keep up with Tipp.

skittzo0413 Nice! I had a similarly pleasant surprise today too. I had to do a 'squattery wheel' gym session in order to proceed in the world map and it was an advance one to boot. I have been avoiding those for several worlds after a miserable result one day. To my great surprise, I was okay doing it and actually got quite a nice score. My legs have really gotten stronger. This game is awesome! 😁

Oh and one of my cool down stretches today was the one you were having trouble with. I noticed that it was putting strain on my lower back. So I stopped bending so far to the side and concentrated on getting the angle of my upper body correct to get a stretch all the way down it. This stopped the strain on the lower back.

Luckett_X I probably have a fair few more slots than you but am still wanting more. It's probably a good thing that we have to manage the skill slots to stop us just using the same old exercises all the time. I expect that's the devs thinking, anyway.

oreomunsta LOL

Oct 25, 2017
With the wide squats, I figure my form must be wrong in some way. I tend to be squatting and holding low enough, but my form is downgraded from a "great" to a "good" as a rise back up. I'm not popping back up, I'm trying to control my return -- could that be effecting it?

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
With the wide squats, I figure my form must be wrong in some way. I tend to be squatting and holding low enough, but my form is downgraded from a "great" to a "good" as a rise back up. I'm not popping back up, I'm trying to control my return -- could that be effecting it?

I've had this issue on Standard Squat Level 2 - his hair and legs are on fire while I'm squatting, but if I don't start to ascend JUST BEFORE hold fills up I get a poor score, it's BS.

Also on the subject of Level 2 workouts, I've noticed that they require better form and are possibly more intense, for example I can no longer manage Overhead Press on Level 2, I'm not sure if the holds are longer but it's kicking my ass and I don' t know if it's just me!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I've had this issue on Standard Squat Level 2 - his hair and legs are on fire while I'm squatting, but if I don't start to ascend JUST BEFORE hold fills up I get a poor score, it's BS.

Also on the subject of Level 2 workouts, I've noticed that they require better form and are possibly more intense, for example I can no longer manage Overhead Press on Level 2, I'm not sure if the holds are longer but it's kicking my ass and I don' t know if it's just me!

Overhead Press are hard for me because not only do you have to squat quite deeply you have to hold your arms above your head which can be murder on the shoulders. I tend to do several until I'm flagging and then rest my arms for a few seconds before going again. Also, I think that it can be quite particular at how you hold the ring-con. If you don't hold it just right then it will result in a worse score.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, do higher level exercises actually get more strict? I hadn't noticed anything on my end yet.

Also can someone tell me if you eventually unlock level 3 exercises?

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that you can unlock some of the 2 star fit skills by leveling up before you unlock their 1 star equivalent in the skill tree. I don't get why they let that happen instead of just giving you the lowest level skill you haven't unlocked yet.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that you can unlock some of the 2 star fit skills by leveling up before you unlock their 1 star equivalent in the skill tree. I don't get why they let that happen instead of just giving you the lowest level skill you haven't unlocked yet.

Yeah, I was thinking of this. Makes me feel less inclined to go down the tree that gives me the 1* version of something I already own. Although I don't know if the tree will expand again some time later.

Also kinda disappointed
Drageaux didn't comment on me, his biggest fan, showing up in full cosplay to work out with him.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, up until the end of world 20 I just pegged Dragaux as a bit of a jerk who really just wants to work out in peace but isn't exactly evil or anything.

Not anymore though, whew.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get back on this horse. Was traveling way too much lately and haven't done it in a few weeks, ugh.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
This arrived Sunday. Started workouts yesterday. High knees kill me. Can't wait to unlock more yoga stuff, I really enjoy that exercise, along with the overhead thing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I almost fell over backwards during an overhead squat hold. I have no idea how I managed to do it but I hit the floor with my left hand, propped myself back up, all the while managing to hold the ring above my head with my right hand.

I bet I looked cool doing that.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I almost fell over backwards during an overhead squat hold. I have no idea how I managed to do it but I hit the floor with my left hand, propped myself back up, all the while managing to hold the ring above my head with my right hand.

I bet I looked cool doing that.

A neighbour walked past whilst I was doing the hip shake the other day.

She definitely looked in and saw me.

I was wearing nothing but my underwear 😑