• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Demption

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys are playing a lot more than i am. I play maybe 3 times a week for maybe 1h at a time. I do a quite good excercise though and sweat a lot. Remember that you don't have to play everyday.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
You guys are playing a lot more than i am. I play maybe 3 times a week for maybe 1h at a time. I do a quite good excercise though and sweat a lot. Remember that you don't have to play everyday.

I'm currently doing between 25 and 35 mins 5 to 6 times a week. As long as I'm not struggling I don't mind and i don't push myself into harder exercises as I'm looking to progress slowly onto them. It's just a way of keeping moving whilst sat down all day.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I like to exercise 5 days a week if I can, and this game is much better exercise than anything else I can do (both in terms of intensity and fun) so why not? If I'm in pain or sick or anything I skip it that day.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
The way I'm trying to approach this game is to do the first run to get a reasonable level of fitness. Then on subsequent run throughs hopefully stick to harder exercises and eventually be able to do them all whilst playing through the game.

Based on my progress so far though some of the exercises are so demanding that I think it's going to be 3 or 4 playthroughs before I get anywhere near that lol

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Oh my @ what just unlocked at level 65

Remind me, please.

I almost fell over backwards during an overhead squat hold. I have no idea how I managed to do it but I hit the floor with my left hand, propped myself back up, all the while managing to hold the ring above my head with my right hand.

I bet I looked cool doing that.

Neo, is that you? 😲

A neighbour walked past whilst I was doing the hip shake the other day.

She definitely looked in and saw me.

I was wearing nothing but my underwear 😑

Don't worry, it takes a man who is confident in his sexuality to do such a camp exercise. Don't be surprised if she tears your clothes off the next time she sees you!

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
3rd day in for my wife and I. We talk about it a lot in general conversation. We're only at world 3 but we're both enjoying this new thing so much together. Happy days!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do it everyday usually 1-2 hours a day. I'm also crazy so don't do this like I do it. I still can't kneel properly after my "let me do this 3-4 hours a day" month.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Remind me, please.

Neo, is that you? 😲

Don't worry, it takes a man who is confident in his sexuality to do such a camp exercise. Don't be surprised if she tears your clothes off the next time she sees you!

the skill tree expanded at level 65. There's still so many other skills I haven't unlocked, never mind all these new ones

woo

Nov 11, 2017
the skill tree expanded at level 65. There's still so many other skills I haven't unlocked, never mind all these new ones

Ah, yes, how could I forget; thank you. Yes, it was a lovely surprise when that happened and I had exactly the same reaction as you. I still have to do some of those as well and I am at level 150 something.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty skeptical of this since I got burned hard by wii fit but overall impressions seem much more positive

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Pretty skeptical of this since I got burned hard by wii fit but overall impressions seem much more positive

It is a night and day experience and I really liked Wii Fit (for awhile). This game deserves all the hype. If you think it will be fun for you and you want to get some more exercise into your life then I can unreservedly recommend it.

For the pros: do you guys recommend a good pair of indoor trainers for this?

It depends. If you normally wear shoes and footwear then you will likely need that support. However, one of our RFA brethren is more of a 'barefoot' practitioner and does not wear any shoes with RFA because his feet have adjusted to not using them generally so he doesn't need them. I used to use a pair of gym shoes with lots of cushioning for my RFA sessions but now I wear a pair of canvas shoes with flat soles with almost no cushioning to speak of and I am fine like that. Also, consider your current level of activity and what your feet are used to. If you start RFA from a very sedentary state (like I did) then it would probably be wise to err on the side of caution and use a pair of cushioned gym shoes. You can always go for something simpler like I did if your feet feel okay with the work they are being asked to do in RFA.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

This is not even remotely similar to Wii Fit besides the fact that both games involve exercise. It's a full fledged RPG with a unique input mechanic revolving around exercising.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Actually now that I think about it Vylash, that was my reaction too until a couple of Era Hype threads got me curious. The more I read the more it sounded like a lot of fun and just what I needed. It has got me back into exercise in a big way after doing almost nothing for 20+ years. When they announced the Ring-Con before they even announced RFA my initial reaction was that it was another fitness gimmick like the Wii Fit balance board. Even when they announced RFA I was still completely meh about it all. Heh, I had forgotten all this. That was only a few months ago but RFA has hooked me so hard that it had all slipped completely out of my memory. Pretty much the only similarity between Wii Fit and RFA is that they involve exercise. The way they approach this, however, could hardly be much different. RFA makes exercise fun and is pretty addictive. That alone makes it a huge win in my book.

Sigurd2990

Nov 2, 2017
I got it week ago and it's a lot of fun! It's much more intense than I expected. I'm aiming to do longer sessions. Right now I max out at 15 minutes :(

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I got it week ago and it's a lot of fun! It's much more intense than I expected. I'm aiming to do longer sessions. Right now I max out at 15 minutes :(

Me too when I started and that was on the lowest difficulty session of one. A few weeks later and that is now 20 and I can manage over an hour without killing myself. Not everyday mind but still, I can do it which is more than I could have managed on day one.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Im always questioning the calorie counter these days. I'm on my feet for usually an hour at a time which the game will record as about 35 mins. When you factor in the warm up, the constant high heart rate and even the stretching then I think it's way off.

The problem I have with it is that it encourages you to continue playing as you feel you haven't done enough which is a bit risky. As an example I always aim for around 200 calories and that involves at least an hour on my feet. Apparently you burn more than that walking lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Im always questioning the calorie counter these days. I'm on my feet for usually an hour at a time which the game will record as about 35 mins. When you factor in the warm up, the constant high heart rate and even the stretching then I think it's way off.

The problem I have with it is that it encourages you to continue playing as you feel you haven't done enough which is a bit risky. As an example I always aim for around 200 calories and that involves at least an hour on my feet. Apparently you burn more than that walking lol

We've long settled the issue with the calorie counter in this game. It only estimates the actual amount of caloric energy needed to perform the exercises you're doing, which isn't how calorie burning works. It's always going to underestimate the calories you burn because of that, sometimes by a massive amount.

I still say it's best to just ignore the calorie counter and focus more on the timer. I try to get it to 30 minutes for each session (which is usually about an hour of real time).

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just did World 20 boss. I burnt 123 calories according to the game. And screw off with holding Leg Raise for over a minute to guard. I had to take a breather afterwards.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
My heart rate's been dropping off a bit during my workouts lately, so I started adding in knee lifts during back press and overhead press and my BPM shot right back up to around 90% of max. Modifying overhead hip shake is great for cardio too, it still reads just fine if you go as fast as possible and jump your feet up as you twist.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
My heart rate's been dropping off a bit during my workouts lately, so I started adding in knee lifts during back press and overhead press and my BPM shot right back up to around 90% of max. Modifying overhead hip shake is great for cardio too, it still reads just fine if you go as fast as possible and jump your feet up as you twist.

Sheesh. The highest I ever got was 75%. Even during my other workouts, my highest heart rates is 155.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018

Yeah you'll want to mix up the toning with cardio, I tend to have knee lifts and knee lift combo on hand to get my heart going.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This game has made me SO much better with squats. On day 1 I couldn't do like 15 squats without almost passing out, today I did about 150 between normal squats and overhead squats. I'm pretty sure it's a combination of weight loss and strengthening my legs.

It's so impressive to think about where I started with this game and where I am now.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game has made me SO much better with squats. On day 1 I couldn't do like 15 squats without almost passing out, today I did about 150 between normal squats and overhead squats. I'm pretty sure it's a combination of weight loss and strengthening my legs.

It's so impressive to think about where I started with this game and where I am now.

I didn't have an issue with the regular squats, but the wide squats MURDERED me at first

But the more I do them, the easier it is and it is definitely an impressive feeling the game builds up in you :)

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I don't have an issue with squats, except when the game makes me hundreds of them. In two settings, I did over one-hundred squats despite having no squats in my Moveset. When I did have squats, since I'm at Level 28 difficult, I did over 200 in one sitting.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Tried to buy Ring Fit Adventure, but it seems that it is sold out everywhere (at least here in Portugal)!

Wasn't expecting that lol

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else had any issues with sending friends items via the multitask mode?

So, a friend on mine sent me a gift and I thought I would send one back only to find he doesn't show up on the list. I checked the adventure mode stats and he still shows up there and I'm able to compare my progress with his. We deleted and readded each other and now I can send him gifts but I've now disappeared from his list.

Has anyone else had this happen or is there some option that we are both easily missing?

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I can feel the genius of this game oozing through my veins. You know how you like to master games, like fighting games for example where you learn all the special moves and combinations?

Well this is like that except I want to master the workouts. That's what's driving me right now, the quality of the game is helping me realise that dream but my goal is not to finish it but be proficient in performing those moves and combos, if you like.

Not sure if that was ever the games intention but this is how I feel about it right now. Whilst this game is kicking my arse I will not give up, and by the time I do master it I would hope to think my level of fitness would be substantially improved.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Just got this today.
I've not touched the adventure mode, but I've done some mini games, ring con stretches, and the abs workout.

It's honestly a pretty good workout lol. I don't have much room for ones that require leaning, but everything else is alright.

Oct 25, 2017
it'd be nice to have a button that flips the side you start on for lunge-types and other one-side/other-side activities on the setup/countdown screen. sometimes, depending on enemy health, I don't get to do all of one side, so it'd be good to be able to start on that side next time.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
it'd be nice to have a button that flips the side you start on for lunge-types and other one-side/other-side activities on the setup/countdown screen. sometimes, depending on enemy health, I don't get to do all of one side, so it'd be good to be able to start on that side next time.

You can actually just pick any side you want for (all of, I think?) those exercises. Even if it tells you to bend your left knee or whatever you can just try to do it with your right and it usually will work.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I began playing this this week. I'm on world 3. I did about 4 days and will return to it tomorrow. I'm only on intensity 17 but at most I did like 12- 13 mins but i'll be going for slightly longer soon. I look forward to apply the power you get upon finishing world 2!

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got this today.
I've not touched the adventure mode, but I've done some mini games, ring con stretches, and the abs workout.

It's honestly a pretty good workout lol. I don't have much room for ones that require leaning, but everything else is alright.

Just wait until you start adventure mode! Then the real workout begins >:]

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just started - literally first world. It's already more than I expected and that's on moderate. I do have a hard floor though - does anyone recommend a yoga mat or similar to help with cushioning and grip (wood floors + bare feet or socks in our house)

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this is nice.

Squats are absolutely killing me, though. Started in difficulty 20, that's 22 squats per attack, and i'm goddamn floored by doing it for one or two attacks.

Everything else seems a LOT easier. Maybe it's that it's the only bodyweight exercise, and i'm a 193cm \ 110kg?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Aureon You just started with RFA? Squats are your new best friend; you will be doing a lot of those. You legs will get stronger as a result though so you can't criticise Nintendo for not looking out for you!

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I currently don't have any kind of squats in my line up of attack exercises, it has been quite a relief having a break from them!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I currently don't have any kind of squats in my line up of attack exercises, it has been quite a relief having a break from them!

I did that for a while and then the game sorta got too easy for me at times, so I've been trying to work squats or planks or mountain climbers into my workouts at least a couple times a day.