• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
woo i could search it but what's the other thread:)

The hype threads that turned me on to RFA?

Hang on, I'll see if I can find them.

Here you go:
www.resetera.com

From Zero to Hero; Hitting level 100 on Ring Fit Adventure.

Let's start with the most important thing. Ring Fit Adventure is a Great game. Here's the story so far: I've been pretty active person my entire life. I have played competitive sports and other sports from the age of 4. It's a big part of my life. But as it is I am now 38 years old. I have two...
www.resetera.com

Ring Fit Adventure Is The Best Workout I've Ever Had (and that's because it's an incredible game)

Let me start off by saying I've tried dozens of different workouts over the years. I've had several different gym memberships, hired personal trainers, tried P90X and Insanity, swimming laps, jogging, got an elliptical for my house (so I can play video games while on it), all sorts of things...

nkarafo

Dec 18, 2019
I am still early on in my NG playthrough but even though the enemy difficulty levels scale to be much stronger than they were when I originally played them in my first Adventure mode playthrough everything feels so much easier now because I am stronger and fitter. For example, I would almost always jog through courses at a sedate pace and avoid lifting my knees to get through pools if I could help it. Now I can run at a brisk pace and lift my knees without any issue 😁 . Like someone said earlier ITT, NG feels almost like a victory tour. Also, the brisk running feels good. At some point I think I shall take it outside and take up jogging/running. I think that I shall put that off until I am stronger and slimmer though. I have lost a bunch of weight and that definitely makes RFA easier given that I am not having to shift so much excess baggage. If I lose the same amount as I have already lost and get in the right weight area for my age, height and sex then it will be even easier. Thank God for the two hype threads here that turned me on to the game and away from my initial meh reaction when I saw the RFA promo video.

Great job Woo !
Good for you!

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
I missed playing last night because of (early) Valentines dinner with my wife. I made myself wake up early today and get a session in before work though. This game is kicking my butt. I began on World 2-1 and I guess I wound up dying midway through because I ran out of hearts. I think I'm still not doing Ab Guards correctly. Enemies were a level or two higher than me as well. Wound up going back to world 1-2/3 and redoing those to get some experience.

I'm only getting in about 15 minutes or so at the moment but that is largely do to how out of shape I am and how little exercise I actually get on a daily basis. My hope is that more sessions like I am doing will lead to more endurance. I also definitely need to focus on getting my posture right and not try to get through everything so quickly. I am, however, feeling it all over my body so I must be doing something right!

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
At some point I think I shall take it outside and take up jogging/running. I think that I shall put that off until I am stronger and slimmer though. I have lost a bunch of weight and that definitely makes RFA easier given that I am not having to shift so much excess baggage. If I lose the same amount as I have already lost and get in the right weight area for my age, height and sex then it will be even easier.
I gave this a try before the winter weather stopped me, and I was surprised to find how well the skillset transferred over. I think to a certain degree it's easier than jogging in place, purely due to the momentum of moving forward. I'm eagerly awaiting the weather improving, so I can get back to it.

Congrats on your progress and getting into NG+!

I'm going into day 116 this evening, and am on the final world of NG+ (I hear there's a NG++ though). My stats are:

Level 334
Time spent: 52:24:31
Calories burned: 20592.82
Distance Jogged: 145.27 miles

I've absolutely noticed a massive difference in my upper body toning, that I 100% attribute to Ring Fit. I have muscle definition for the first time in my life, in a way that's extremely empowering. New muscle areas (deeper armpits?) have appeared, and I notice it's far easier to lift heavier objects and carry them for longer. Super thankful!

I will say that completing the skill tree at around level 210ish was kind of a bummer. I was hoping there would be another layer of it. As of now there doesn't really feel like there's much progression (besides story, which is as charming as ever), or new reasons to swap out my existing exercise skills. I know I probably should be doing that for balance, but from the RPG angle, it seems like it would be at my detriment.

I'm still playing every single day (only missed two days since launch, while I was visiting Chicago), and don't see myself stopping, but I'm kind of holding out hope that they announce some DLC, or a sequel in the near future. Even just adding skill tree levels that cycle through the existing exercises, but raise the RPG stats would be much appreciated.

Big fan though. The results are real, and it's genuinely changed my life, and gotten me doing things that I would have never in a million years seen myself doing.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
At some point I think I shall take it outside and take up jogging/running. I think that I shall put that off until I am stronger and slimmer though.

If you're not used to running I can highly recommend trying a couch to 5k program. I did one about 10 years ago when I was seriously unfit and was amazed at how quickly you feel the improvements. I went from being unable to run the length of myself to running 25-30k a week and finishing the Edinburgh marathon in under two years. Of course then I had two kids and let it all go again, which is why I'm here now :)

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I started the cough to 5k programme last year and around the 5th week in I developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot which put an abrupt end to that :( it's annoying because I was loving it as well.

My foot still hurts a bit to this day (obviously playing this isn't helping that)

woo

Nov 11, 2017
bliggup Just keep putting the work in and the results will come, don't worry. Your feedback is encouraging and my advice to you would be to favour quality of exercise over quantity of exercise. Try to pay close attention to all the visual and audio cues the game gives you for each exercise. If you are still not sure, google the exercise and see what the recommended form is for that particular exercise. I did that early on in my RFA adventure for squats and still have to remind myself to pay close attention when doing those as my form can slip.

The endurance will definitely come, I promise. My stepmother was recently encouraging me to pay for someone to paint my ceilings as that is murder on the shoulders apparently. Before RFA I may well have done that but now I think that my shoulders can handle it!

Buttonbasher Your post has put a big smile on my face; so pleased for you.

Hamrub Thanks, my GP suggested the couch to 5K route to fitness a while back. Since then RFA has come into my life so I am much more likely to give that a go now. At my current rate of progress, I might be starting that in a few weeks. I hope so; Buttonbasher's comments about the easy transition to jogging/running from RFA are super encouraging.

Jonnykong I just read up on plantar fasciitis; that sounds nasty.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Day 4 and I'm already back into it. My body has readjusted into working out so now I can speak about the game a little more Frank. Bout to finish world 2 tomorrow. Only complaint I have is the leg doesn't read as well as I'd like it too, feels like I'm always crawling during runs even calerbration. Otherwise I love this, takes alot of my self loathing out of it and is just pure positive reenforcement. I needed something like this especially during depression spells

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Good stuff Monkey DTT . Have you tried adjusting the position of the leg strap and alignment of the joycon in it? Line of sight to the Switch and interference from other wireless sources might be affecting you too.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Interesting note for any fellow insomnia sufferers - the day count seems to reset around 4/5am, not midnight. I started working out at 3:30am and it was counting it as the previous days cumulative workout. It wasn't until after 4am that I got a little soft boot to the menu screen and had to warm up again for the new day.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I just want to chime in that I've owned this game for three weeks now and I'm loving it. It's so much fun to play and I really am feeling a burn when I workout now. My son and daughter are into this game, too.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I exercised today, I hadn't felt like for the past week or so because of some throatache and I had but today I felt good enough and I did a 20 mins session, which is my best so far. My sessions usually last 13-14 mins but it felt really good to get back into it AND do my longest session yet!

The plank motion killed me though, lmao.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
I started the cough to 5k programme last year

Is that the new coronavirus extreme recovery programme?

:D

I'm only in to my third week of RFA adventure and, quite honestly, it's absolutely outstanding. Nintendo deserve all the plaudits they get for this. What I've already found is that I had to bump my difficulty up by 2 at the start of this week as it was getting noticeably easier, it's great to already have that kind of progress to keep the motivation going. I did however just take planks out of my skillset, that shit is brutal...

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm on my 10th day now and I really like the game. It works! I already feel fitter and I'm sure lost a little weight as well. Planks are indeed brutal!

I think Nintendo should be happy with the amount of positive promotion RFA is getting over here. I bought the game after reading all the positive stories in this thread.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
I've been doing this about every day since I bought it last week. I'm feeling pretty good. I get kind of irritated though because just as I am starting to get a flow going, it seems like it activity stops and I have to read dialogue and stuff.

Also, I just unlocked planks last night... They won't register at all. It asks me to get on the floor and put the ring con down. I'm following the directions on screen but the check boxes won't light up at all. I probably shouldn't be doing these on hardwood as it is, but I cant even get the game to register long enough for me to try the exercise

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Check your leg strap position bliggup . That tends to cause me the biggest problem with getting planks and mountain climbers to register.

On the subject of Joy Cons, I just bought myself a second set so I can keep a pair always fully charged for Ring Fit. I've noticed the lower the battery, the less accurate the detection is. Also means I can try out multitask mode without worrying about running out of Joy Cons!

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I've noticed I have gotten in to a regular routine of 40-45 min workouts with this now, which is great! Been a while since something really hooked me.

What's kinda funny is the time counter in the game generally only hits between 15-20 minutes, but the time I spend with it every night is usually around 45 minutes. Between the 3 minute stretching warm up which doesn't count, the 3 minute cool down which doesn't count, and all the time spending at the start/end of exercises which also doesn't count - the game's effectively made is so I can go "oh I'll just do a quick stage" and it ends up being a 40+ minute workout, which normally I probably would avoid building in to my schedule (I'd probably aim around half that).

Last night I did one of the batte gyms, just 4 fights in a row, no other running, and the estimated time for the level was 5 minutes on the info screen. Took me around 16 minutes on the game clock to clear (generally each round takes me 3-4 exercises of around 20-40 reps per exercise, so something like 400 reps to clear the level - some reps go really slow too like the overhead squats etc), and probably around 30 minutes of "real time" spent on their 5 minute estimate. Long live the random exercise selection option!

I've also started to avoid most of the Yoga exercises, I don't really like how they deliver so much damage in like 10 seconds and only have like 3-6 reps, compared to other choices that deliver less and take around 2 minutes to complete with 30+ reps. It just feels to me like I'm cheating when I use them.

Last edited:

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Minsc Don't avoid the yoga poses; they can build good muscle endurance over time. They help with balance too. I felt not dissimilar to you with them to start with but now I can see the benefit they bring over time.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Minsc Don't avoid the yoga poses; they can build good muscle endurance over time. They help with balance too. I felt not dissimilar to you with them to start with but now I can see the benefit they bring over time.

I do them sparingly, usually include 1 in my 9 or 10 slots. I really don't understand why they made them so short, I feel like they should easily be 4x as long as they are in the game. I'm on difficulty 23 and a lot of the yoga exercises only do 3 reps, and each rep takes like 3-4 seconds. It's completely bewildering to me, then you have regular exercises that last 10-20x as long.

Maybe I'll just start manually doing 2 more sets of each yoga exercise during the pre-ab guard screen, to even them out. I do feel between the warm up, cool down and some of the bending exercises they make up for the lack of yoga ones, but I did like having them because my balance does need work, but running the exercise for 15 seconds then switching isn't going to help me, that's why I prefer to use others.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I am on a lower difficulty level than you Minsc and I do more reps per yoga pose than that. Perhaps you are doing yoga poses from early in the game? Some of the advanced forms of the poses make me work quite hard to get through all the reps with good form.

However, you do what works best for you.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps, I've only unlocked 8 or 9 of them so far, I'm progressing through the game slower than most, despite getting in a level or two each night. Like one of the most recent ones I unlocked I forget what it's called, but you put one arm on the floor and hold the other arm with the ring straight up, and then lower it parallel to the floor and back up towards the ceiling again. Do that 3x and you're done with the arm. There's been at least a few others that are super fast too, like ones where you put one leg forward and twist to the side, do that 3x time, and you're done (+ the other side). In general they don't impress me with the difficulty. But maybe later on I'll get ones I like more as you say.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I think that those must be the early versions of those yoga poses and you will unlock the harder versions in due course.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
The key with the yoga moves is to do them slowly (sometimes slower than what Ring Fit tells you) and with good form. Like woo said, you definitely need to work hard with some of those moves.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
That's a good point SeriuzBiznus (lol at your username btw). I really enjoy doing some of the yoga poses because it feels good doing them especially if I do them nice and slowly. They also give a nice respite from more energetic exercises especially later in the game.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I was a bit skeptical about the yoga poses at first as well, but I found as woo and SeriuzBiznus said that they feel like they provide a decent workout as long as you do them slowly and really focus on form.

Unfortunately I'm on an involuntary RFA break at the moment - I managed to sprain my ankle so no jogging on the spot for me for a while. On the upside, my wife has taken the opportunity to start playing and she's loving it too. I think she thought I was joking when I said it could be hard work. She knows better now :)

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I sometimes tweak my ankle too Hamrub but nothing significant, fortunately. I might step awkwardly and it is sore so I hobble around for awhile and then it's okay again. I hope that you are well enough to return to RFA soon. LOL at your last comment though.

I

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
I started this a few days ago. Just unlocked the plank ability and urrrrgg I can't lift my own fuckin ass after doing it twice. Getting this skill to 100 times will be hard.

Right now i'm playing at difficulty lvl 15. How low is that? how far up does it goes?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I started this a few days ago. Just unlocked the plank ability and urrrrgg I can't lift my own fuckin ass after doing it twice. Getting this skill to 100 times will be hard.

Right now i'm playing at difficulty lvl 15. How low is that? how far up does it goes?

It goes from 1 to 30. Don't worry, you are in good company; most of us hate planks. I would take them over mountain climbers though but that is a new hell for you to look forward to :evil grin:.

Don't stress about your difficulty level though; I started on the lowest possible level of 1 on my first day and have gradually built that up over the weeks. Just do what you can and make the exercise work for you. As long as you are moving your body more than you normally would then you will start to see the benefits from that.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
9, 9 days now since I last played this.

Absolutely ashamed of myself :( I seem to have hit a lazy phase of my life I'm struggling to get out of.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
9, 9 days now since I last played this.

Absolutely ashamed of myself :( I seem to have hit a lazy phase of my life I'm struggling to get out of.

Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes it's good to take some time out and recharge your batteries, physically, emotionally and mentally. I am too although only day two for me today. I might go weeks of consistent RFA sessions with the odd rest day sprinkled in but sometimes I just need a complete break from it for several days to re-charge my batteries and stop it becoming stale. I am using the time and energy that I would normally put into RFA to get some tasks done that have been sitting there for awhile, not getting done. I didn't even bother with the 500 ring presses today. I am enjoying my little holiday from it but will probably start to get the urge to get back to it soon.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I've been doing this about every day since I bought it last week. I'm feeling pretty good. I get kind of irritated though because just as I am starting to get a flow going, it seems like it activity stops and I have to read dialogue and stuff.

Also, I just unlocked planks last night... They won't register at all. It asks me to get on the floor and put the ring con down. I'm following the directions on screen but the check boxes won't light up at all. I probably shouldn't be doing these on hardwood as it is, but I cant even get the game to register long enough for me to try the exercise

Planks only use the thigh sensor and it checks for it being parallel to the ground. It shouldn't have anything to do with your floor but a yoga mat helps a lot for any of the exercises; I slide around a lot with out one, especially for the floor exercises.

Get down on the floor with your forearms propping you up in the front and your toes holding you up in the back. Keep still and the checks should complete. Then to do the exercise don't move your arms or feet off the floor, just raise up your hips and hold, then back to starting position.

iu

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
Planks only use the thigh sensor and it checks for it being parallel to the ground. It shouldn't have anything to do with your floor but a yoga mat helps a lot for any of the exercises; I slide around a lot with out one, especially for the floor exercises.

Get down on the floor with your forearms propping you up in the front and your toes holding you up in the back. Keep still and the checks should complete. Then to do the exercise don't move your arms or feet off the floor, just raise up your hips and hold, then back to starting position.

iu
thanks for the advice. these are just gonna have to wait until i can get a nonslip mat. i did a few today and it wrecked my elbows.

i did finally get 30 minutes of exercise today with this round on level 13. that felt really good

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I had no intention of playing RFA today but I was so wound up with excess energy that I pretty much had to! If that's what 2 days break from RFA does, I might have to do it more often!

However, I am glad I did as I remembered something with regard to yoga poses being worthwhile which you might find helpful Minsc. The yoga poses in RFA tend to ask the player to coordinate quite a lot of different body areas whilst maintaining balance and doing so at a slower pace than the other exercises. The effect of this is that lots of small muscles that might otherwise be neglected get some work. The small adjustments one's body makes to maintain balance is a key part of that. Therefore, the raison d'etre of the yoga poses in RFA is to ensure a full-body workout that does not neglect those small muscles that are not served by the other exercises.

Hybrid Hunter

May 9, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Been playing this on and off and been really enjoying it where I try to play in the morning then after work as well for that extra workout.
The squats from World 5 killed me but I've been resulted in my doing squats more and more so I'm better at it than dreading it.

I've got a question about the Yoga recovery moves, given that we have smoothies, is there any real incentive to using up a slot for one of these moves? (I'm up to world 7 at the moment)

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Been playing this on and off and been really enjoying it where I try to play in the morning then after work as well for that extra workout.
The squats from World 5 killed me but I've been resulted in my doing squats more and more so I'm better at it than dreading it.

I've got a question about the Yoga recovery moves, given that we have smoothies, is there any real incentive to using up a slot for one of these moves? (I'm up to world 7 at the moment)

Nice :).

I remember that dread where squats are concerned but your legs will gradually strengthen without you even noticing, probably. I am 're-doing' earlier worlds because I am on the NG playthrough and am finding aspects that gave me trouble before a breeze now. Yesterday I had to do lots of squats just to get to the end of a level (I was in the 'leg' world) and was reminded of how that killed me the first time but now it was a piece of cake. Also, it felt good to do them and notice that my legs felt strong and stable. That was a really satisfying feeling after all those weeks of hard work 😁 . It can be so easy to get caught up in the process and not appreciate one's progress overall. Yesterday was a nice bit of encouragement and validation for me.

With regard to the smoothies, there are odd moments later on in the game when you would be glad of selecting the recovery poses over smoothies. However, I got through 99% of the game without them and barely used smoothies anyway. It was only the odd fight that made me use smoothies but I may have been slightly overpowered due to doing the 500 ring press/pulls everyday and trying to 100% worlds. In hindsight, I wonder if I should have used a yoga recovery pose more often as that would have been more exercise for my body. I liked having many options for attack exercises though so something had to go. Really, it's up to you; if you find that you don't need to use a slot for a yoga recovery pose because you have smoothies and you don't mind losing that little bit of work for your body then go for it. It worked for me. I suppose that if you were feeling guilty from dropping them you could always do some yoga in one of the other game modes. I haven't really delved into there but IIRC there is at least a 'yoga set' in there.

I fill bad that I haven't played it for days because I am ill.. :-(
This game is getting a lot of attention lately!
You can buy t-shirts, cups of coffee, etc.
www.teepublic.com

Ring Fit Adventure - Your SWEAT is so SHINY and BEAUTIFUL by spaceweevil

Exercise is hard. Keep going, you can do it! Words of encouragement from everyone's favourite sentient exercise equipment.
:-) :-) :-)

Heretic! Kill the unbeliever! Seriously though, I hope that you feel better soon.

I like the idea but I don't like the design. Also, someone making money of someone else's IP doesn't sit well with me. I would be interested to see what the result would be if Nintendo licensed the IP to an established firm to see what they came up with. Hopefully it would be less fugly but then some of the designs of official Nintendo gear I see on the UK Nintendo Store are realllly fugly. That's purely subjective of course but there you are.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US

Like Woo said, you don't HAVE to use the poses but it's good overall training. I didn't touch them for the first 7 worlds and I kind of regret it. You do you though :) there's always NG+

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fell in a depressive spell and then went to a concert and my body hurts so lol.... I think I'm gonna start from scratch already. Only had about 5 sessions in

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I offer you a manly hug Monkey DTT and hope you feel better soon. Exercise can help to lift one's mood so I hope that it does for you (not that that is much help when one is down and not feeling able to cope but y'know). RFA has helped me a lot in this regard so I wish you well with it. A fresh start is probably a good idea from the psychological aspect if nothing else. Don't beat yourself up over it though; just do what you can; anything is better than nothing. If you find a groove and can stick with it so that it becomes a regular part of your life then that's ideal. Good luck! 🐱

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
After battling with a very, very lengthy cold and extremely busy schedule recently I finally managed to beat the base game. I have no idea why I thought I could do the final boss easily after putting in 20 minutes into the same session but somehow I managed.

Excited to start NG+ next week, there is no way I can will myself to do it any time this weekend.