• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
So free rhythm game with 17 songs from various games, in game language options, new jogging mode without enemies, and female Ring voice.

Not a bad free update at all, imagine sales are crazy and a real sequel will surface one day.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
When did they add the option of finishing an exercise after defeating an enemy? That was what always irked me originally, then I stopped playing, started again today and see it in Settings.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Did the new update. Those rhythm game is hard, especially the Core and Legs which is some BS. Also the nothing but jogging really get your heart racing. Still trying to find that perfect mixture.

But I love the update. Really breaths new life into the game.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I like the sound of those release notes, seems to be some fixes for mis-reading exercises, I've noticed this on a few, particularly the side-step. Seems to be some miscalculation of times too, would be interesting to see the differences.

Nice!

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have tips for keeping the leg strap on? I have really no issues with it, but my wife does. I suspect that it's because my legs are pretty hair and hers.. are not. She's planning on turning on silent mode because the jogging in place causes the strap to slide down.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Does anyone have tips for keeping the leg strap on? I have really no issues with it, but my wife does. I suspect that it's because my legs are pretty hair and hers.. are not. She's planning on turning on silent mode because the jogging in place causes the strap to slide down.

Two things that helped me, make sure it's really tight and, I've also started to wrap it around my shorts instead of directly on the leg.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Two things that helped me, make sure it's really tight and, I've also started to wrap it around my shorts instead of directly on the leg.
Interesting, I had the opposite experience. If I wrapped it around shorts (typical work out basketball style shorts) it'd slide down. Once I switched to just the skin it was fine. 🤷

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I miss the old orange color of the flavor text, the blue is kind of ugly

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

I have compression shorts that I wear over the leg strap and tuck in under the bottom of the leg strap. The leg strap doesn't move at all since I've started doing that.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Such a great update! They've clearly been listening to feedback and this makes me super hopeful for even more content (possibly DLC?) in the future.

I might retry some of those mini games now to get 100% completion...

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Does anyone know how to enable the jogging mode? I can't seem to work it out.

The rhythm mode is amazing!

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to enable the jogging mode? I can't seem to work it out.

The rhythm mode is amazing!

Its in the custom routines section from the main menu.

I also came here to thank the thread for pushing me over the edge to buy ring fit back in November. It's been a life saver. Up until all this I would get my kids to the Y at least three times a week, obviously can't do that. The weather has also been garbage since school shut down, so ring fit has really aided us during this time.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Its in the custom routines section from the main menu.

I also came here to thank the thread for pushing me over the edge to buy ring fit back in November. It's been a life saver. Up until all this I would get my kids to the Y at least three times a week, obviously can't do that. The weather has also been garbage since school shut down, so ring fit has really aided us during this time.

Thanks for your help.

As a remote worker at the moment, Ring Fit is amazingly useful. It's keeping me healthy. Last year it was my game of the year, and this year it might well be again...

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone use an Apple Watch to track their workouts with this? I've been doing the Fitness Gaming activity and there's a big discrepancy between the watch calories burned and the game. Did an hour this morning, watch said 530 burned RFA said 130. RFA seems more reasonable but I'm surprised at the discrepancy.

I did have to do a few levels over due to running out of hearts. Does it RFA only show final stats for levels completed?

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Does anyone use an Apple Watch to track their workouts with this? I've been doing the Fitness Gaming activity and there's a big discrepancy between the watch calories burned and the game. Did an hour this morning, watch said 530 burned RFA said 130. RFA seems more reasonable but I'm surprised at the discrepancy.

I did have to do a few levels over due to running out of hearts. Does it RFA only show final stats for levels completed?

The Apple Watch will be unreliable in this instance as it cannot know what specific exercises you're doing. I would use the Ring Fit numbers as a more accurate estimate.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Pretty much any consumer electronic device can only give an estimate of calories burnt so it is pointless to stress over it. Furthermore, RFA only gives the player credit for calories burnt during the actual exercise. Any calories burnt in between exercises from increased heart rate etc are not taken into account. There is plenty of discussion on this aspect of RFA earlier in the thread if you are of a mind to search for it.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Pretty much any consumer electronic device can only give an estimate of calories burnt so it is pointless to stress over it. Furthermore, RFA only gives the player credit for calories burnt during the actual exercise. Any calories burnt in between exercises from increased heart rate etc are not taken into account. There is plenty of discussion on this aspect of RFA earlier in the thread if you are of a mind to search for it.
This is why I record the session on other devices to get more of an accurate measurement

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Honestly, if your goal is weight loss, you should never factor calories burnt from exercise into your daily calorific intake. Just treat them as a bonus. It's too difficult to track that information accurately and you can easily end up accidentally self-sabotaging by thinking you've burnt more than you actually have and reducing your calorie deficit as a result.

In my opinion, exercise should be treated as a way to feel better mentally and physically. Not as a tool to lose weight. Focusing on calories takes all the joy out of things and can make me focus too much on numbers rather than how I feel.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Honestly, if your goal is weight loss, you should never factor calories burnt from exercise into your daily calorific intake. Just treat them as a bonus. It's too difficult to track that information accurately and you can easily end up accidentally self-sabotaging by thinking you've burnt more than you actually have and reducing your calorie deficit as a result.

In my opinion, exercise should be treated as a way to feel better mentally and physically. Not as a tool to lose weight. Focusing on calories takes all the joy out of things and can make me focus too much on numbers rather than how I feel.

The number counter in RFA is way too low for you to think it's okay to eat a feast. For example, if you burn 280 calories in RFA, you gain half it back by drinking a pop can.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
The one thing that kills me about RFA is how is really fucks up your joycons when it is done. What does the Switch think is going on there?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
The number counter in RFA is way too low for you to think it's okay to eat a feast. For example, if you burn 280 calories in RFA, you gain half it back by drinking a pop can.

If you burn that many calories in RFA you've probably been working out for close to 3 hours... hopefully one drink doesn't erase half that! Get a diet pop instead lol.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
It's all going to depend on your height and weight. As a 49kg, 163cm female, this is my calorie burn rate in Ring Fit:

78NFD2b.jpg

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Less than two. I can burn 300 calories in RFA in 2.5 hours.

And I hate diet. Lol

Yeah, I think it matters how much jogging vs fighting you do, the exercises in fighting yield much fewer calories/min than jogging - I imagine the yoga poses and arm exercises are at the bottom of the chain. I probably average around 80 cal/hour (or less) at difficulty 23. With about 80% of my gametime in battles I'd guess.

I like diet but they say that's even worse for you. Drink water, free and healthier I guess.

Edit: Yeah, I've never seen a result screen of more than 1 mile run haha. I get about 10 minutes of running to 50 minutes of fighting I think - most fights take me around 10 minutes a piece or even longer.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yeah, I think it matters how much jogging vs fighting you do, the exercises in fighting yield much fewer calories/min than jogging - I imagine the yoga poses and arm exercises are at the bottom of the chain. I probably average around 80 cal/hour (or less) at difficulty 23. With about 80% of my gametime in battles I'd guess.

I like diet but they say that's even worse for you. Drink water, free and healthier I guess.

Edit: Yeah, I've never seen a result screen of more than 1 mile run haha. I get about 10 minutes of running to 50 minutes of fighting I think - most fights take me around 10 minutes a piece or even longer.

Depends. Like I burn over 100 calories in one level doing the leg workout.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
It's all going to depend on your height and weight. As a 49kg, 163cm female, this is my calorie burn rate in Ring Fit:

78NFD2b.jpg

I tried to explain this before on this thread, there will be huge differences depending on your BMI, me, for example, on a 35 minute workout I can burn up to around 180-200 kcal, I weigh approx 80kg which is why I'll be seeing a larger burn-rate.

Also, did you seriously pump 2hrs exercise (which probably took around 3h realtime)? That's insane! lol

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
I tried to explain this before on this thread, there will be huge differences depending on your BMI, me, for example, on a 35 minute workout I can burn up to around 180-200 kcal, I weigh approx 80kg which is why I'll be seeing a larger burn-rate.

Exactly. A heavier/larger person has more mass to move, so they will burn more calories than a lighter/smaller person doing the same activity.

Also, did you seriously pump 2hrs exercise (which probably took around 3h realtime)? That's insane! lol

Haha, yeah. I had a wicked bout of insomnia and the only cure was some Ring Fit!

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Haha, yeah. I had a wicked bout of insomnia and the only cure was some Ring Fit!

I can only dream to rack up that kind of time, but I would also be happy to reach an hour ultimately, but I'm looking long-term for that.

Agree about not counting calories and using it as a weight-loss tool, only dieting can do that. I'm finding RFA is improving my joints and muscles and I feel good for doing it. If I was doing it for short-term gains I would find the enjoyment levels drop and ultimately less engagement from me. I have a contract with RFA, it gets me off my backside for an hour, that's all I ask and it obliges in the best possible way.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
2 hours my God I would die. Well been working from home during the lockdown and this has been a godsend. Still at it every weekday morning and I'm still really enjoying my time with it. World 10 so far not rushing things. Had a go at the new modes this morning and the free running really gets the heart going especially with the knee lifts. Nice update!

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
Glad I picked up Ring Fit back when it came out, though I was only using it as an occasional supplement to going to the gym up until this month. This has honestly been one of the best things for dealing my anxiety with the lockdown and world situation being what it is. Up to World 10 now and have really appreciated how much it's been challenging me.

Mar 3, 2018
Found someone who is selling this, has 5 of them. I guess they stockpiled it or something. Anyway, they are selling it for $180 Canadian, which is about $130 USD.

Is it worth the investment? I found out today that I will be off for another month at least, probably two ( teacher ) and need to stay more active. The daily walks are starting to get boring.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Found someone who is selling this, has 5 of them. I guess they stockpiled it or something. Anyway, they are selling it for $180 Canadian, which is about $130 USD.

Is it worth the investment? I found out today that I will be off for another month at least, probably two ( teacher ) and need to stay more active. The daily walks are starting to get boring.

You should totally not reward scammers by buying from them. It's worth the recommended price of 60-80$

Mar 3, 2018
You should totally not reward scammers by buying from them. It's worth the recommended price of 60-80$

I think it retails for $120 here after tax in canada, but I see your point. Been completely sold out everywhere though.

most people I see reselling them do it for 200 and up, this was lower than other prices so I got slightly tempted.

MrMattamus

Oct 27, 2017
Question about exercise attack values. Since the exercises you get from leveling up/skill tree are more powerful than the ones from the beginning of the game, is there any incentive to use them? Some of the early exercises I want to do to work those areas, but it seems counter productive and sets you to take longer in battles and take more damage.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the game with 35 hours of excerise time. Here's to another 70 hours to 100% it! Also I cannot believe that they managed to make a difficulty level for the rhythm game beyond super advanced. I sincerely hope that a showcase of songs on ultra advanced is how they decide to show this game at the next GDQ, it will be mindblowing given how I barely scrape by a C- in super advanced songs

Question about exercise attack values. Since the exercises you get from leveling up/skill tree are more powerful than the ones from the beginning of the game, is there any incentive to use them? Some of the early exercises I want to do to work those areas, but it seems counter productive and sets you to take longer in battles and take more damage.
The only incentive is whatever goal you're trying to achieve, so if you're looking to work on a particular muscle group then I'd say do it, even though it will make things a little tougher overall.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK

Well it depends on your goals. Are you playing Ring Fit to beat the game or are you playing to get fit? If the former, you'll want to min/max by picking the highest damage exercises and boosting with smoothies, if it's the latter, than just pick what exercises you want to do that day, regardless of how it affects your damage output in the game. A less damaging exercise is a more effective workout as you'll be required to spend more time/energy beating the monsters.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Back on this. 2nd day in a row. I did 5 in a row back at launch but dropped it lol (I loved it but just fell off). But the fiancé is doing it with me this time so it's even more encouraging. It's so much fun. This is easily the best chance I'm gonna have for getting in shape. I hope we come out of this pandemic a little healthier.

MrMattamus

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished the game with 35 hours of excerise time. Here's to another 70 hours to 100% it! Also I cannot believe that they managed to make a difficulty level for the rhythm game beyond super advanced. I sincerely hope that a showcase of songs on ultra advanced is how they decide to show this game at the next GDQ, it will be mindblowing given how I barely scrape by a C- in super advanced songs

The only incentive is whatever goal you're trying to achieve, so if you're looking to work on a particular muscle group then I'd say do it, even though it will make things a little tougher overall.
Well it depends on your goals. Are you playing Ring Fit to beat the game or are you playing to get fit? If the former, you'll want to min/max by picking the highest damage exercises and boosting with smoothies, if it's the latter, than just pick what exercises you want to do that day, regardless of how it affects your damage output in the game. A less damaging exercise is a more effective workout as you'll be required to spend more time/energy beating the monsters.

Thanks. It's a mind set thing really. I am playing the game as a way to stay active, but my RPG/gaming brain takes over some times and I find myself min/maxing.

Good advice here though to not treat it so much like a "game" depending on my goals.