• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WCCFringfitadventure-740x429.jpg

Metacritic: 81
OpenCritic: 81

Eurogamer: Recommended
There's an end-of-pier charm to it all, the showmanship of the arcade matched with Nintendo's time-proven ability to take something - here the humble pilates ring - and imbue it with a sense of play and wonder. Ring Fit Adventure is that and then some, boasting all the inventiveness of last year's curio Labo and matching it with a video game that compels you to come back for more. This might not have the show-stopping pull of a Mario or Zelda, but I can guarantee that it's the purest Nintendo experience you'll play this year.

GameXplain: Liked-A-Lot

The Verge: Positive
I can't tell you that Ring Fit Fitness is a proper substitute for going to the gym or a way to really get in shape. What I can say is this: it's a polished, fun game that feels like a real workout, and, for me, it became a way I could almost seamlessly fit physical activity into my life. Even as I sit here typing this, I'm feeling a bit off about only having put in 20 minutes today. The good thing is that squeezing in another 20 is pretty simple. I just need to slay some yoga mats.

IGN: 7.8
Ring Fit Adventure is a marathon, not a sprint, just like adapting a healthy lifestyle should be. The last couple of weeks haven't altered my life or made me look like The Rock all of a sudden, but as a way of getting into (or back into, in my case) a pattern of healthy living, it's been a solid push in the right direction. After about 18 hours and more than half the adventure done, I fully expect to keep playing as the weeks go on. That's not to see where Ring Fit Adventure's fairly weak story goes, but rather to keep engaging with the fun and challenging blend of exercise and RPG mechanics it provides.

EGM: In Progress
The best compliment that I can give Ring Fit Adventure is that it's a video game that features exercise, instead of an exercise program disguised as a video game. In the two weeks that I've been playing my copy, I've legitimately regretted any day that I couldn't play, and have always looked forward to not only exploring deeper into its adventure mode, but actually doing the workout associated with it. Ring Fit Adventure offered me the promise of a game that would keep me motivated and excited to exercise, and so far, it has kept true to that promise—but I'm now worried about what'll happen once that promise comes to an end.

GamesBeat - 60/100
Ring Fit Adventure is probably a smart way to exercise for some people, but not for me. I know that I'll get much better results from combining different VR exercise games. That's a shame because I really like the way the RingCon feels. I also enjoy leveling up and running through the environment. But the core mission of Ring Fit Adventure is to make you forget that you're exercising, and I think it's only partially successful at that.

Kotaku - No Score

Ring Fit Adventure is no replacement for just going to the gym or taking up swimming or otherwise thoroughly committing to exercise. It is, at least, simple to set up, entertaining to play and therefore easy to keep using. It's Nintendo being weird, which, for some of us, is a draw unto itself. Maybe this isn't the game you were hoping Nintendo would make next, but it's the kind of experiment I'm glad the company sometimes tries. And it's fun, even, miraculously, when it's asking me to exercise my abs.

French reviews:

Gameblog: 8/10

Un accessoire simple, le Ring-Con, bien pensé et qui, avec une simple sangle, le tout marié aux Joy-Con, aide à mesurer avec précision vos efforts, une campagne agréable, drôle, et qui parvient, avec un soupçon de RPG, à faire oublier que l'on fait de l'exercice, tout ce qu'il faut pour se remettre en forme de manière plus conventionnelle : c'est une surprise, Ring Fit Adventure fait figure de sympathique successeur à Wii-Fit. Si vous êtes motivé(e) autant que curieux, disposez d'un logement suffisamment spacieux, et que vous n'avez pas l'intention de tricher, vous trouverez là un compagnon de choix pour faire de l'exercice tout en vous amusant. À vous de vous investir, à votre tempo et en fonction de votre mode de vie.

Gamekult: 7/10

ring-fit-adventure-nintendo-switch-05.jpg

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be giving it a try alongside the regular dieting I'm doing and giving my thoughts as someone who was going to the gym 6 times a week previously. Now I'm lucky if I can go twice a week so looking forward to giving this a go.

JustJosh

Dec 11, 2018
Wisconsin, USA 🐮
I'm gonna be giving it a try alongside the regular dieting I'm doing and giving my thoughts as someone who was going to the gym 6 times a week previously. Now I'm lucky if I can go twice a week so looking forward to giving this a go.

Really interested to hear your thoughts: I do CrossFit 3-4 times a week, but have been interested in Ring Fit Adventure as a way to get some movement and stretching on my rest days. Reviews/impressions from those of us that work out regularly have been sorely missing.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really interested to hear your thoughts: I do CrossFit 3-4 times a week, but have been interested in Ring Fit Adventure as a way to get some movement and stretching on my rest days. Reviews/impressions from those of us that work out regularly have been sorely missing.
Haha I tried cross fit but it wasn't for me so your mileage will definitely vary compared to my more relaxed day to day multiple hours pace but yeah I get it this Friday and I'm giving it a go starting Monday.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
There's this video that was posted in the impressions thread

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I've actually pre-ordered this, hoping I have better luck than last time I pre-ordered. Impressions look good, can't wait to try it.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking great! Wish my copy shipped early too! But I'll pick it up tomorrow after work

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to try this. I'm in the process of transitioning from working out with a trainer to working out on my own at home, so it'd be great to have this as an option on days where I want to switch (ha ha) things up a bit. Can't wait to try it tomorrow!

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
ring fit adventure - minus 120 calories
walking to work - minus 60 calories
walking the dog - minus 30 calories
mountain dew - plus 8600 calories
climbing stairs - minus 20 calories

someone who is good at the exercising please help me budget this. i'm dying.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
So hyped for this. My copy comes in tomorrow, I can't wait to start using it.

ring fit adventure - minus 120 calories
walking to work - minus 60 calories
walking the dog - minus 30 calories
mountain dew - plus 8600 calories
climbing stairs - minus 20 calories

someone who is good at the exercising please help me budget this. i'm dying.

Drink less mountain dew

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this. I have a crazy commute for work at the moment and by the time I get home after what is essentially a 12-13 hour day, I don't have much energy to go out and exercise like I used to. Being able to just boot this up and get a good workout in is incredibly appealing. I'm not able to click through to reviews atm, but once you beat the main campaign is there repeatable content that can be done for the workout? Like an endless dungeon mode or something?

Red Rudolph

Aug 7, 2019
Been waiting a long time for a Wii Fit U successor. As someone who would've killed for a portable Fit title back on 3DS, I'm super pumped. Hoping a lot of you guys come back in a year or so to show off those before & after pics.

Red Rudolph

Aug 7, 2019
Any word on the length?
IGN reviewer seemed to put in 30 minutes to an hour each day for two weeks, and felt he'd probably made it about halfway through the adventure.

once you beat the main campaign is there repeatable content that can be done for the workout? Like an endless dungeon mode or something?
Not sure anybody's had the physical endurance to make it through the whole adventure yet. We know you can create your own workouts a la Wii Fit, but I hadn't thought of a randomly generated battle mode. Guess we'll see.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been waiting a long time for a Wii Fit U successor. As someone who would've killed for a portable Fit title back on 3DS, I'm super pumped. Hoping a lot of you guys come back in a year or so to show off those before & after pics.

I'm definitely thinking about doing this. I got into pretty good shape a few years ago (running over 70km a week does that to you...) but a full-time job and other commitments have made it difficult for me to get my shit together. If this helps me get some of that motivation back, that would be amazing.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did the setup/measurement and a single level and I'm pooped. Gonna get some ice cream to cool down and cheer myself up.
I did put it on higher difficulty than I probably should have.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I want to know how physically fit some of these reviewers actually are before I read their reviews

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
Game looks really fun, but no way I'm paying 105 usd (Chile) for it.
It is really sad to be a nintendo fan in South America :/