• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
hSUZaXe.jpg

There was a new article from polygon about the state of gamestop, so I decided to check out the gamestop reddit to read some employee opinions and came across a topic titled so ring fit is selling now?

I took a quick glance and Amazon, Walmart, Bestbuy & Target are all sold out of ring fit. However, it is available, probably not for long, at Gamestop.

Here are some of the more interesting comments from the reddit thread:

My Nintendo rep said people are reselling them to quarantined Coronavirus people. Seriously she just told me they're selling like hotcakes because of this.
I don't get it. Why would a sick person want to work out?

Apparently resellers online like Taobao are selling them for double the retail value to people in China.
I keep getting calls, pls stop lmao

Thought this was really interesting and I would share. If you see one in stores and are interested, may be time to grab it.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i would want to work out at home if i was quarantine for months

Jul 18, 2018
Social media. Chinese social media is trending like crazy over this game so that population at home and using it to get even more popular

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a real thing:
www.scmp.com

Demand for Ring Fit Adventure for Nintendo Switch soars in China as coronavirus keeps gamers at home

The popular Nintendo Switch exercise game is being sold at twice its retail price on ecommerce sites

The new coronavirus outbreak in China has kept many cities in lockdown. In an attempt to safely exercise at home, some appear to be turning to Nintendo's new exercise video game Ring Fit Adventure.
Although the game hasn't been officially launched in China, scalpers have been selling it there at twice its normal retail price. While priced at US$79.99 (559 yuan) in the US, merchants on Taobao and JD.com can be found selling the game for about 1,200 yuan (US$170). It's not entirely clear if this is due to the coronavirus or the nature of the import market, but supplies of the game have been constrained in other markets, like Japan.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it makes sense that people would want a way to exercise if they were being quarantined. Pretty cool tbh.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The game is currently being resold at 3x the original price in China so I am not that surprised.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Neat, it was already doing super well but this will really take it over the top. Hopefully it continues to be popular once the coronavirus situation is over and they're able to produce more

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This is why Nintendo will always be fine, even if some experimentations ends up disappointing (LABO) Nintendo showed multiple time they're not afraid to try weird things.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's interesting, I don't think China ever had Wii Fit as an official release, so a lot of the fitness game craze will have passed them by (?). Could this be the big game console break for China?

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
See, I work in electronics retail and we've been having a bunch of online orders come in for Ring Fit and they're never a single unit. They usually get picked up three at a time, but we've had a few orders for 9+ units - assumning we've had the stock. But I guess this explains it.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I actually was thinking about grabbing this today and also noticed they were mega sold out.

Not sure if there's any truth to the coronavirus stuff, but it certainly would be a good way to spend being stuck indoors for days/weeks.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So the girl is a lock in for pass 2, right?
In a just world, she would be. But Sakurai has a history of being gun-shy regarding new IPs. And if Astral Chain couldn't get in, I'm afraid that Ring Fit Adventure may not have much of a chance. With that said, I hope Ring Fit Adventurer does get in.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the case, we'll know by NPD next month if there is a boom in sales, right?

edit: Ebay listings are $120+ for new copies!

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
In a just world, she would be. But Sakurai has a history of being gun-shy regarding new IPs. And if Astral Chain couldn't get in, I'm afraid that Ring Fit Adventure may not have much of a chance. With that said, I hope Ring Fit Adventurer does get in.
Ring Fit is much, much bigger than Astral Chain

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I think this is great (in a good way). Quarantined people do need physical activity, and exercise can be good in boosting your immune system as well. I'm glad a product like this exists.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
im glad i already got mine in case of shortage

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda fucked that people are taking advantage of a disease like this, but scalpers gonna scalp. Hopefully people who need this look at more accessible options too, like Kinect, balance board, even PSVR.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Oh, I just realized they're being flipped.
That actually sucks. I thought like hospitals are buying these for patients.
It's still good the quarantined people get these, but I wish scalpers taking advantage of this shit weren't being rewarded.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Wow what a bad coincidence. We were just randomly thinking of getting the game to try it out last weekend.

Went to one Gamestop and they didn't have it, told us another Gamestop had 4 copies and by the time we drove to it they had all been sold to the same person....

On one hand, fucking scalpers. But on the other, quarantined people need it more than we do.

I hope Nintendo keeps making some.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
I actually tried buying it 2-3 days ago at Target and it sold out while in my cart. I contacted customer service and they mentioned that they didn't know when to expect a restock.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just checked, every Target and Walmart is sold out around me even after I looked at it sitting on the shelf last week at one target

syth

Oct 25, 2017
It's the new baby formulae, a friend had someone come in and buy 12 copies last week in Melbourne, Aus

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Can you explain this bit? I don't really see why AC would feature in an A Fortiori reasoning regarding Smash inclusion.
Astral Chain came out in August 2019 & only got spirits. Ring Fit Adventure, which came out 2 months later, likely won't fare much better since Vol. 2 was locked in by November 2019 at the latest (one month after RFA came out) or possibly sooner.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Have you ever tried working out when you have a cold? It's terrible.

I assume this is being bought by people that aren't experiencing symptoms but are quarantined.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering what was up. I wanted to buy it a few weeks ago but decided against it, but today I changed my mind and couldn't find it anywhere. Figured it was stock shortages due to corona but not because of scalpers.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well guess it's gonna be an uphill battle to get this alongside my Animal Crossing Switch next month. Oh well, glad it's serving people who are stuck at home. Not thrilled it's being bought up and distributed by scalpers but hardly the worst example of it.