• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

League of Legends is the title that built Riot Games' reputation and esports scene. Now, the studio is releasing another game that takes place in the same universe: a card game. Legends of Runeterra will be a competitive card game that takes place in the League of Legends universe, drawing from the cast of characters and items to provide a whole host of cards for players to collect, draw, and play.

Cards will be unlocked by picking a region and playing games, accumulating points to unlock more and more loot based on the region. Your preferred region can be changed whenever you want. The developers stressed during the stream that you will not have to pay for randomized packs to unlock cards in this game.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are firing on all cylinders huh.

Not sure what to make of this yet, but not paying for packs instead unlocking them by playing in different regions sounds interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
BUY SINGLES FROM THE STORE WITH IN-GAME CURRENCY AND REAL MONEY, "Mulitcolor deckbuilding", choose blockers type conbat, small overflow mana between rounds, respond to player actions with action like Artifact (no instants AFAIK/EDIT: there are instants), looks fucking solid. Actually hyped.

Last edited:

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Hey there! I'm so happy to finally share what I've been working on here, and see what you all think! And for those who are lucky enough to join the preview, I'll see you on the board! :D

PS: Also excited about everything else we announced. All I can finally say is AAAAAAAAAAA-

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping this just slays hearthstone and I can have a new TCG to play that wont die off, I expect this will do well, really love the description thus far.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey there! I'm so happy to finally share what I've been working on here, and see what you all think! And for those who are lucky enough to join the preview, I'll see you on the board! :D

PS: Also excited about everything else we announced. All I can finally say is AAAAAAAAAAA-

It looks awesome! Congrats to you all on making the announcement.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This shit looks Aces. I'm day 1.

It looks AWESOME! Great work, hope to play soon!

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks interesting. After dropping Hearthstone, I wouldn't mind another card game to play. The art reminds me of Dota's Artifact a lot.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
At a quick glance this looks like a much better take on "simple Magic" than Hearthstone. Combat is so much more in-depth. And this has instants.

Just not sure if I'd rather play simple Magic or... just Magic. Or Gwent.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm already invested in the game for the characters alone. Plus the game essentially has Exodia with Fiora.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Thanks everyone! If your interested in seeing how it plays, check out Twitch, we have plenty of people streaming so you can see how things work overall. I hope you at least give it a shot whenever your able.
The depth and creativity of this game is what hooked me, and is why I'm so excited we are making it! I still find myself finding and thinking of new combos ( I'm definitely the deck tinker-er type though). Also just fleshing out more of the world we built off of League in another game is so freaking exciting!

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
so is this closer to hearthstone or magic
watching disguisedtoast, seems like it's pretty much hearthstone

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah. After Artifact bombed so hard I've been wanting another big attempt at a good digital card game. Hoping for the best!

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone! If your interested in seeing how it plays, check out Twitch, we have plenty of people streaming so you can see how things work overall. I hope you at least give it a shot whenever your able.
The depth and creativity of this game is what hooked me, and is why I'm so excited we are making it! I still find myself finding and thinking of new combos ( I'm definitely the deck tinker-er type though). Also just fleshing out more of the world we built off of League in another game is so freaking exciting!

Give out access to some members here so we can test out how it plays for ourselves! hehe. DisguisedToast on Twitch has been giving a really good in-depth tutorial of how the game works and it looks really exciting.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
so is this closer to hearthstone or magic
watching disguisedtoast, seems like it's pretty much hearthstone
Yeah seems like Hearthstone with some elements of Shadowverse and the ability to choose to defend with your choice of unit ala more conventional card games like YGO.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
I dropped Hearthstone once they complicated the game with every expansion. Wasn't thrilled with the money pit P2W monetization model either. I don't have much faith that the studio behind League's pay-per-character gameplay is going to be better.

Oct 27, 2017
I dropped Hearthstone once they complicated the game with every expansion. Wasn't thrilled with the money pit P2W monetization model either. I don't have much faith that the studio behind League's pay-per-character gameplay is going to be better.
You can buy singles from the store with real money and in-game currency: THIS IS A GAME CHANGER. Looks like a cosmetic style monetization plan.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
How timely, the meta in MtG has been truly horrific all year and does not have a chance to get better until at least October 2020, so this is a good time for new card games. I'm not interested but it's nice to see more developers go for it.

Aspen

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
I highly doubt you will have any freedom in deck building. Maybe at the beginning, but the meta will always get figured out.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm currently unhappy with the MTG standard, and who knows, maybe the ban list may fix that (considering it came forward quite a bit they obviously want to nix the current problem).

I'm not sure I like the look of this? But it is a card game, it is hard to judge by watching, you really need to be in there playing and deck crafting.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I highly doubt you will have any freedom in deck building. Maybe at the beginning, but the meta will always get figured out.

This is why the best way to play card games is drafting! Constructed play is always fun for a month or so then gets stale. You're correct this game will be no different.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if they talked about when the mobile version will become available?

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Almost every card game gets a chance by me, so I will give this a swirl. Especially after the death of Hearthstone.

Looking at streams for a hot minute it seems to have actually quite a few similarities to Artifact and that was the best card game I played on PC.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost every card game gets a chance by me, so I will give this a swirl. Especially after the death of Hearthstone.

Looking at streams for a hot minute it seems to have actually quite a few similarities to Artifact and that was the best card game I played on PC.
I'm out of the loop on something. What happened with Hearthstone? I've seen a bunch of people talking about it dying or stopping playing it recently.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
After playing Hearthstone and really disliking it I thought the card game genre just wasn't for me. But as a huge Dota 2 fan, I ended up trying Artifact and absolutely loved it. I have been looking for a new card game to try since Artifact is dead.

This looks great and I can't wait to try it.

Sep 14, 2018
I'm currently unhappy with the MTG standard, and who knows, maybe the ban list may fix that (considering it came forward quite a bit they obviously want to nix the current problem).

Huh, I didn't even know there was an emergency ban happening. Even not keeping up with mtg anymore I know what they're likely doing but if they're smart they will take this chance to take out Teferi, they really had no business messing with counterspells, none at all.

They've said as much they didn't expect the card to have such an impact, just another hit by the idiotic Play Design team, the list is getting pretty long now, at least the charade of them being geniuses is over.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Give out access to some members here so we can test out how it plays for ourselves! hehe. DisguisedToast on Twitch has been giving a really good in-depth tutorial of how the game works and it looks really exciting.
I have a limited number of invites to share, but I did give one out to a dedicated League ERA member. If he decides to share or stream, so be it ;)

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I never got into league but card games are my jam... can't wait to see if this will fill the Hearthstone shaped hole in my heart

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the twitch drops watch time-based or completely random? Been on toast's stream for quite a while, no drop yet...

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, this is crazy... so many things announced. I really like the way Rito does f2p so super excited for this.

I wonder if iOS isn't releasing for a while? It seems like you can only pre-reg on Android?

edit: Desktop client is Windows only? :(

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in but how exactly do you start the game after it's installed on Windows? o.o It started after installation but now it's not in my Start Menu nor can I see it in the Riot Games folder.