• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Looks exactly like cs. That's cool. Weird it's not overwatch with lol characters.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Obviously the game needs good mechanics and design, and that should ALWAYS be the standard. Diversity isn't standard, and that's what I want.

You can want what you want, but I have other priorities when it comes to shooters and games in general. That doesn't make me a lesser person or a lesser '' gamer. ''

I'm not saying you're a lesser gamer but good mechanics and design is not the standard. I'd almost argue CS is the only big shooter on the market currently with top tier shooting mechanics, maybe siege too. Games like overwatch are a joke in comparison. Very glad project A is targeting CS from a shooting perspective.

I would've agreed with the latter part a while ago but lately CS is getting almost weekly updates. Sure there's no typical season or battle pass shenanigans but to say there's no good support is a bit much imo.

Besides, all signs point towards a big update soon anyway so fingers crossed!

Just compare CS:GO support to Dota. The one exciting thing we got recently turned out to be the worst BR experience in existence. However I wasn't aware of rumours around a big new update? Exciting if so.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
If they want this game to become as popular as CS then it will need mod tools for the community.

Jun 1, 2018
fuck riot games for the way they treat their employees. yall are saying the same about THQ and other devs but now you praise this game even though its from riot? thats just hypocritical in my honest opinion.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Is pretty much the gunplay/gameplay feel of Counter-Strike mixed with Overwatch's abilities. I'll try it for sure.

Nov 14, 2017
Is he claiming there will be no cheaters and no lag?
Because that's a claim not bound to end well.
I think they are just claiming they are going to take it seriously. For most shooters, it seems like the developers are just losing the game of whack a mole because as they catch one cheat, another pops up. Riot clearly has the resources to fund a dedicated anti-cheat team for a shooter, so hopefully just having a well funded team constantly on it should be enough.

Also, this game looks like it could be good.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
I think they are just claiming they are going to take it seriously. For most shooters, it seems like the developers are just losing the game of whack a mole because as they catch one cheat, another pops up. Riot clearly has the resources to fund a dedicated anti-cheat team for a shooter, so hopefully just having a well funded team constantly on it should be enough.

Also, this game looks like it could be good.

Every game has cheaters, including League of Legends.
It's systemic and part of the game (pun intended), cannot really be completely prevented.
Even more so if this is going to be a f2p with cosmetic mtx like LoL.

Regardless, it's the internet lag bit of the statement that makes me puzzled the most.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Is he claiming there will be no cheaters and no lag?
Because that's a claim not bound to end well.

It's impossible to have no lag.

Yet riot is one the few companies to tackle bufferbloat openly. Not something valve or blizzard can say.

They are saying are comittted to tackling either problem.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless, it's the internet lag bit of the statement that makes me puzzled the most.

The video is mostly referring to peeker's advantage which is a huge problem in games with 1HK. It can feel really unfair to die before you even have a chance to react. It's something R6 struggled with since 2015 and sort of solved by having the server refuse to register some damage from very high ping players. Not the most elegant solution, but it has helped somewhat.

Nov 14, 2017
Every game has cheaters, including League of Legends.
It's systemic and part of the game (pun intended), cannot really be completely prevented.
Even more so if this is going to be a f2p with cosmetic mtx like LoL.

The only thing I can think of is if they take the ping of the peeker and then give that to the person getting shot as a window to respond. If the peeker gets headshot within that window, then maybe the game says that the peeker dies and the peeked player gets to live?

In tactical shooters like R6S peekers advantage is huge. The game is completely different on LAN; you can hold angles and not get taken out by players peeking you. You see them the instant they start peeking and have time to respond, so if they get you then its on you. It's so different to internet play where a peeker can have a 50ms advantage, which is huge in a game with 0 TTK headshots.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
If nothing else, this game seems to fix the thing I absolutely hate about CSGO - bullets not going where your reticle is aimed. Yeah yeah, I know there are recoil patterns. The reticle should still follow that pattern. While learning how to play it, I got so sick of holding my reticle dead center on an enemy (while not moving), unloading half a mag, and getting 1 hit for 20 damage. This isn't how any shooter is made anymore, and for good reason.
That last part is funny to me. CS is 20 years old and in recent years it's been bigger than it's ever been, clearly they're doing something right. FPS's come and go every year but CS always remains on top; the consistency in rewarding players for learning the games' specific mechanics and making tangible, refined improvements in their play style is addictive and fun. Saying CS should do X or Y mechanic because of what other games do is crazy, since CS isn't the one who needs to conform - as seen by this announcement where Riot is building on what is essentially a CS-like foundation for this game.
And more directly to what you said about the cursor, if the spray patterns weren't learnable, pros (and even amateurs) wouldn't be able to have such different play style and skill gaps between them. The cursor essentially just shows where the first bullet could go - that's it. The rest is up to the player to figure out how to move and shoot efficiently.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That last part is funny to me. CS is 20 years old and in recent years it's been bigger than it's ever been, clearly they're doing something right. FPS's come and go every year but CS always remains on top; the consistency in rewarding players for learning the games' specific mechanics and making tangible, refined improvements in their play style is addictive and fun. Saying CS should do X or Y mechanic because of what other games do is crazy, since CS isn't the one who needs to conform - as seen by this announcement where Riot is building on what is essentially a CS-like foundation for this game.
And more directly to what you said about the cursor, if the spray patterns weren't learnable, pros (and even amateurs) wouldn't be able to have such different play style and skill gaps between them. The cursor essentially just shows where the first bullet could go - that's it. The rest is up to the player to figure out how to move and shoot efficiently.

I know how CS works, but I don't think getting good in a FPS should come down to memorizing extremely aggressive spray patterns. When I get a non-headshot kill in CS, I often feel like I simply don't deserve it.

I understand why the game is still popular and that its mechanics are more competitive than most other modern shooters, but it just doesn't feel fun to play anymore. I can get my comp fix just as easily in R6 and actually feel like my aim matters.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I find it interesting that this is the only new game they announced that is not set in their League world of Runeterra. I wonder if they started with an initial idea of a "League-based FPS" but abandoned it. It encourages me that the quality of the game will be high because they are not bound to pre-existing ideas and characters from League.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Shooting looks pretty tight and it's clear they're targeting the esports/competitive scene with these mechanics.

Like the fighting game it was probably too early to reveal, but I guess they really wanted to go all out with the 10th anniversary announcements.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
People who play competitive shooters turn all the settings down, the textures as close to off as possible and do crazy stuff like play at 1024x768 stretched on a high resolution monitor, so if you think it looks "bland" or "ugly" my guess is that this game isn't meant for you. Which is totally ok and stuff but like also we get it, cool, the 901st post like that isn't really adding much?

I am extremely curious to see how a game focused on precise gunplay and map tactics will mesh with abilities. I'm not sure if we haven't seen it before because it *can't* work, or just because no one with enough budget and clout has tried.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ex-Professional csgo player henryg got some hands on time and posted impressions: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/f2d5bc/new_info_about_riot_games_shooter_project_a_and/

Overall seems like a straight csgo reskin with hero abilities as utility and maybe some light siege-esque class mechanics thrown in.

Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. I think csgo will be in real trouble compared to this game if executed correctly.

god damn... that sounds good

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is wild to me that Riot Games sat on League of Legends for roughly a decade, and then basically shadow dropped a handful of spin offs in different genres that are all really well received. Internal politics aside, the studio seems to have incredible talent.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
I was very interested in this game when i first heard that it was like cs, but when i saw it had abillities, i lost all interest in it sadly. i dont think this will compete with cs go at all, it will compete with overwatch instead

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Professional csgo player henryg got some hands on time and posted impressions: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/f2d5bc/new_info_about_riot_games_shooter_project_a_and/

Overall seems like a straight csgo reskin with hero abilities as utility and maybe some light siege-esque class mechanics thrown in.

Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. I think csgo will be in real trouble compared to this game if executed correctly.

That's a great recipe and hopefully the execution provides some good competition for CS:GO. I wonder how crazy Riot will make the cosmetics and microtransactions.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was very interested in this game when i first heard that it was like cs, but when i saw it had abillities, i lost all interest in it sadly. i dont think this will compete with cs go at all, it will compete with overwatch instead
Read my post above -- it thankfully seems have almost nothing in common with overwatch

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

all impressions from people who have played it are saying the exact opposite

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Buying weapons AND character abilities at the start of a round, all with the same economy reservoir?

That sounds really good.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
On my phone but it looks like a vaguely Chinese setting? Subtle.
Not sure what you're implying here. That the Chinese shareholders are pushing some sort of agenda?

I'm certainly going to keep an eye on this. Been needing a new FPS since I got bored of Overwatch. Never really been into the LoL lore because I didn't really enjoy the game but I'll still give it a shot.