• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada

In the upcoming patch 9.17, Riot Games will be introducing a paid achievement system called "Eternals" which are specific achievements for every champion/hero in the game. Each champion will have a one set at launch with another set currently being designed at Riot. In order to access achievements you have to buy an "Eternals set" using real money for 850 RP (roughly 7.5 Euros according to my friend) which includes 3 achievements for players to access. However, you can only buy RP in amounts of 5, 10, 25 Euros etc. so you have to spend more money than you need to unlock an Eternal set for a champion.

According to the FAQ, these Eternals sets can't be unlocked in loot boxes and they are designed for players to show off their achievements in and out of the game, introduce a new progression system and reward players with unique perks such as Personal Best, upgraded emotes and icons like this:

04_The-Guide_oyy4mk941d62wm40iwj1.png
03_The-Empress_4yamdhpowm8ho8gmf92f.png
02_The_Warden6_s4t1d3svsitp6u2ylute.png
02_The-Protector_5dy7on7vwg1dtog1rd5w.png
05_The-Warrior_tnxw1edr2mbv53vmh0sz.png

I haven't played League of Legends since 2016 and I am glad I stopped because this is straight up disgusting. Pay money to unlock achievements? That's worse than gacha games.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
It's no different than buying a battle pass, I guess, you're buying the chance to do missions to get rewards, at least it's not randomized.

Nvm, I misread, I thought you paid then had to unlock them. It is kinda dumb.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Paywalling achievements, man this industry is fucked when it comes to balancing monetisation opportunities and profits. It is either all in or none, there is no proper middle ground.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Paywalling achievements, man this industry is fucked when it comes to balancing monetisation opportunities and profits. It is either all in or none, there is no proper middle ground.

On one hand this is disgusting,on the other hand there is a ton of people who are EAGERLY WILLING to buy this crap,so i feel no remorse that companies are milking them like cash cows.

growler

Oct 26, 2017
If I recall, they had an Achievement tab grayed-out and unimplemented in the client for years. Glad to see the fabled tab has been resurrected as an innovative monetization scheme!

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
So these are the achievements they managed to come up with after having them in planning for almost a decade, huh?

Not surprising. They shoulda did this like 3 years ago when I was still obsessed with League, I probably would have bitten, to be honest. There's literally no gain to this other than to flex that you spent money, hard pass.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So these are the achievements they managed to come up with after having them in planning for almost a decade, huh?

Not surprising. They shoulda did this like 3 years ago when I was still obsessed with League, I probably would have bitten, to be honest. There's literally no gain to this other than to flex that you spent money, hard pass.
I guess their rationale is that that's basically every skin that has ever been bought, too.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Paying money to unlock an achievement system that does absolutely nothing but make a mastery emoji look a little different and unlocks shitty icons is worse than predatory gacha?

I've heard it all now.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, reading about it, I'm not super against this. I have a bit of extra RP leftover and I might get it for my current main Elise. I wish it took into account games you played before getting it.

I'm more angry at how Riot has been handling "events" this year.

Last edited:

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Doesn't Warframe do this on PS4 (and probably other F2P games on other platforms?). You have to buy something to be able to earn their trophies.

Outside those PS+ Bundles, I havent paid a dime (though considering I've spent over 40+ hours this month on it that might change lol) and I have all but about 9 trophies

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not an achievement if you paid for it.

Insert losing virginity to prostitute joke here

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It sounds like it's a stat tracking mechanism they developed? What's so disgusting about paying for it? It's expensive imo (€7.50 per champion adds up to a LOT) but this seems like an extreme reaction to paying for a new system they'd maintain?

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
League may not have any pay2win stuff but they sure have been adding many things to milk the whales over the past couple years.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
When I tried LoL many years ago, you could pay to unlock characters and pay for XP boosts which led to unlocking important gameplay bonuses, which I would call mild pay-to-win. This is a lot better than that 🤷

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I'm glad my addiction of this game came to an end 2 years ago. But no matter what they put out there, there will always be somebody to buy shit like this.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I mean, this has no bearing on playing the game, right?
I've played League off and on since Feb 2010 and I've bought some skins from time to time, but I've never felt like I couldn't play the game because I didn't spend money. This seems purely about vanity/aesthetic.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I mean, I don't get the disgust? It's just achievements for bragging rights. How is it different than buying cosmetic shit?

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing that champion-based achievements are finally here after that whole post about them developing champion Missions (2 years ago) but they're paywalled. Might as well just buy a discounted skin or icon if it's a cosmetic.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I'm not so much against paying for this as I am just how MUCH it costs.

Paying for elements in a freemium game? annoying, but hardly new

However, let's pretend you'd want to get all of the eternals because you're a whale or a completionist.

It would cost nearly 250,000 RP, or $200,000ish based on quick math. that's absolutely bonkers.

Edit: in addition, this gives them monetary reason to influence the game's meta. Certain champ not selling eternals? buff them to shit and hope you entice people to play them a ton and get invested. This works with skins as well to a degree, but I feel like this is even worse because instead of having to design a new, cool skin, the resources are already in place.

Last edited:

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Warframe and DC Universe Online do this on PS4 (and probably other F2P games on other platforms?). You have to buy something to be able to earn their trophies.

Can't speak for DCUO as I never played it but for Warframe I never seen one after around 6800 hours logged; If there is one I would also like to know which one.

Anyone with questions or want to know more about Warframe, feel free to check out one of our many OT's in the forum.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can't speak for DCUO as I never played it but for Warframe I never seen one after around 6800 hours logged; If there is one I would also like to know which one.

Anyone with questions or want to know more about Warframe, feel free to check out one of our many OT's in the forum.
Memory was fuzzy, out of the two it was DCUO that locked trophy progress behind subscribing / buying dlc. At least they used to back when that came out on PS4.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm not so much against paying for this as I am just how MUCH it costs.

Paying for elements in a freemium game? annoying, but hardly new

However, let's pretend you'd want to get all of the eternals because you're a whale or a completionist.

It would cost nearly 250,000 RP, or $200,000ish based on quick math. that's absolutely bonkers.

Edit: in addition, this gives them monetary reason to influence the game's meta. Certain champ not selling eternals? buff them to shit and hope you entice people to play them a ton and get invested. This works with skins as well to a degree, but I feel like this is even worse because instead of having to design a new, cool skin, the resources are already in place.
No one does this. Designers at Riot don't have access to business KPIs.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't see the issue. Dota2 has Dota Plus, which is a monthly subscription that gives you access to, among other things, achievement-like runes, which show when you do impressive things in games, as well as in-game challenges and more information about your matches (unless they changed this ever since I stopped playing).

I imagine most people will just buy for the one or two heroes they play 90% of the time.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Do not believe this.

Even if we were to go with their premise of it being some super sterile system of information, they could 100% still do this even with publicly available information

Anyone can look up which champs have the lowest pick/ban rates, and Riot can reasonably assume these will sell the least eternals since there's a lower percentage of people that like them.

Now, you might think "Isn't this kinda good? if a champion is super out of the meta buffing them to make them viable is good!" when in reality it would just create a constant churn of flavor-of-the-month champions where they throw subtlety out the window in favor of a monetary agenda rather than game-state. I will never be in favor of giving them additional non-game incentives to competitively balance.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I don't see the issue. Dota2 has Dota Plus, which is a monthly subscription that gives you access to, among other things, achievement-like runes, which show when you do impressive things in games, as well as in-game challenges and more information about your matches (unless they changed this ever since I stopped playing).

I imagine most people will just buy for the one or two heroes they play 90% of the time.

If most people do this, they will just balance the game solely around champion popularity to increase sales

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
he literally worked there but cool

And?

Working at a place means you know what literally every employee knows, and are also 100% honest about it on the internet?

Ignoring that, I've already detailed this but it's doable with 100% public information. All you need is pick/ban rates to determine champion popularity.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
People like you will always believe what you want to believe regardless of evidence anyway.

What evidence? Your word on an internet forum?

Explain to me how a KPI would even be needed to accomplish this goal. It would be extremely easy to accomplish this exact same goal around champion popularity.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
If most people do this, they will just balance the game solely around champion popularity to increase sales
From personal experience, your casual player, which I imagine makes up the majority of the playing population, cares not for meta and will play whatever they think is cool/powerful or fits their play style. And, as a moba player, we already know that whatever hero is the newest one released is always the most broken piece of garbage that needs nerfing, but for some reason I keep losing matches when a player with that hero is in my team, so what gives!?

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
From personal experience, your casual player, which I imagine makes up the majority of the playing population, cares not for meta and will play whatever they think is cool/powerful or fits their play style. And, as a moba player, we already know that whatever hero is the newest one released is always the most broken piece of garbage that needs nerfing, but for some reason I keep losing matches when a player with that hero is in my team, so what gives!?

I don't think personal experience is a good perspective for this. Fact is, pick/ban rates fluctuate a ton over time outside of a few outliers.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What evidence? Your word on an internet forum?

Explain to me how a KPI would even be needed to accomplish this goal. It would be extremely easy to accomplish this exact same goal around champion popularity.
My evidence is that I worked there and had no access to business KPIs.

Also, tell me how it's remotely smart to balance an unpopular champion to sell an item instead of just selling more items for popular champions, lol.