• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they pay their players well, lighting a fire under other fighting game companies. If there's an exodus to the LoL fighting game away from other games because pros want their payday, it might push Capcom, Bamco, ASW, etc to ante up

I don't want other fighting games to die off obviously, far from it. I just want the other companies to shake in their boots
I'd imagine it'll be pretty similar to their CCG LoR payouts at minimum which is pretty similar to the bigger Fighting Game prize pools, 200K for worlds 10-20k for smaller ones. It looks like it will be a higher budget game than LoR though, so it'll probably be bigger.

Sunbeam

Alt account
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I hope "big" characters aren't locked into grappler stereotype or anything. Braum would be an awesome fighter.
R.b4c3d7aae1a7f6c69abfdd35f28d0798

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
fair enough, the fact remains that the same pros who contribute to those games' communities and bring in viewership may leave for greener pastures and i'm interested in seeing how other companies react to that
oh they will leave no question and I don't blame them. The thing I would like other fighting game devs to take note would be solid net code (ASW already have done this tbf) and more robust matchmaking and ranking system. If they do want to treat their games as services like the F2P ones, they will need to add some seasonal stuff/progression but I do not care for that much. Honestly, Strive with league-like matchmaking/ranking experience would be killer for me already.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
I think its just the fgc cycle whenever a new fg gets annnounced. Its always gonna be ground breaking, it will a revolution, it will save the fgc and a bunch of casual players will suddenly become competitive star. The same thing was said about dbfz. Project L will do amazingly well probably better than any other fighting game but I def think that 90% of the player base wont go travel to tournament. It was the same thing with dbfz and its probably going to be the same thing with project l.
Going by Riot's history, expect the exact opposite of revolutionary. Valorant, TFT and Runeterra are the antitheses of innovation even within the genres. There is not a single game mechanic in those games that has not been straight up lifted from a previous popular game. I say this in the best way possible BTW. I think what they do, they do well but they don't seem to break the mold on any occasion.

Oct 29, 2017
FGC seen paid gems to have an advantage in SFxT. No one will really care about skin prices. Also, i'm sure most of them also playing League, Valorant, CS, etc.. It's something you already have in a lot of games.
We just going to ignore how people hated that game and onboard DLC on the disk. A lot of people are being exposed to League for the first time if you've seen their reaction. I expect it to go as well as that youtuber AngryJoe,'s reaction to Valorant DLC. Dude lost his mind. People are upset at Halo Infinite's 8 dollar Battle Pass, don't see a main stream League game with 20 dollar skins to fair better IMO.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
We just going to ignore how people hated that game and onboard DLC on the disk. A lot of people are being exposed to League for the first time if you've seen their reaction. I expect it to go as well as that youtuber AngryJoe,'s reaction to Valorant DLC. Dude lost his mind. People are upset at Halo Infinite's 8 dollar Battle Pass, don't see a main stream League game with 20 dollar skins to fair better IMO.

league & valorant already have expensive skins and are quite popular. yotubers are gonna outrage for clicks but normal humans are already on board with the model

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno anything about LoL but Darius seems like my kinda char

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Someone named "angryjoe" was angry for content but anyone that actually plays Valorant is mostly fine with its monetization model. Whatever keeps the 128 tick servers up and running. Meanwhile CSGO charged money to play for a long time while also having a key/chest system and nobody gave a fuck. I'm one of many people that is willing to accept Riot's model over whatever tf else others have been doing. At least they use their money to make the games better. From the outside looking in it's super easy to shit on Valorant's monetization. But as someone that plays like 4 games a day and has spent $30 or so total on it, I have gotten my money's worth.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
League is one of the biggest games in the world, a lot of non-moba/ focused gaming media just ignores it. A lot of reactions to their pricing and dlc format just kinda gets ignored since the player base for their titles is vast and dedicated.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
I'd imagine it'll be pretty similar to their CCG LoR payouts at minimum which is pretty similar to the bigger Fighting Game prize pools, 200K for worlds 10-20k for smaller ones. It looks like it will be a higher budget game than LoR though, so it'll probably be bigger.

wtf if LoR is putting out that kinda money then i am hyped to see what project L hides at the end of the rainbow

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Double Lift on Project L

First off, had no idea double lift (huge LoL pro player) was well versed in fighting games. Second off, I think he's right. Game will be massively popular but tag inherently make this a harder game to get into. But it looks like there might be only 3 buttons? So that may help? Can't wait to see how this shit shakes out.

This was the clip that made me a lot more confident that Riot's going to give players the option to only have one controllable character and you can choose to just have your second one provide assists and other buffs. This would solve a lot of "problems" with trying to adapt some League characters to a fighting game (with this you could theoretically have Yuumi be a selectable character that just has a bunch of assists and buffs) as well as giving new players or just people only interested in playing one character they really like the choice to only have one character. Currently with the footage and marketing, there has been a ton of emphasis on assists but not really a whole lot on the whole tag aspect even though we know it's in to some degree. I think that's because they are planning on giving players the option to either play with 2 characters on a team where you can control both, or have just one primary character and the second one just provides support.

league & valorant already have expensive skins and are quite popular. yotubers are gonna outrage for clicks but normal humans are already on board with the model

I imagine most FGC YouTubers won't really focus on this in part because it's likely going to be the biggest fighting game in the world at least on release (most new FGs are like that so it's not even a Project L thing) and they don't want to burn bridges with their audiences as a lot of them would be interested in playing it, but also in part because the whole controversy is just a nothing thing that most people generally don't give a crap about. You got games like SFV which are basically built as an F2P game that you still have to pay for, so someone using that model as an actual F2P game with cosmetics costing a bit more is w/e. The only people who I think would really take issue with the model are either people who have no real understanding of monetization models in other games in the industry (let alone the Fighting Game genre, which is very behind the times IMO) or people who are actively looking for any reason to complain about the game.

There's talks about money, I think that people just assume that Riot's going to immediately just throw shitloads of money everywhere but usually they have a more measured approach to esports. Valorant blew up because even when the game was just being revealed there were teams and sponsors literally lining up to try and get in on whatever the scene was going to be, but that sort of thing hasn't happened for TFT or LoR and I imagine something similar will happen in Project L. More than just having tons of prize support, I think there's smarter ways to support the competitive scene that'll maybe be less glamorous than big prize pools at major events but will genuinely help more people. I think the biggest thing really is having a robust Online tournament scene as well as a clear path to becoming a "pro." Their card game currently has seasonal in-client tournaments that are fully automated by the game, (meaning that everything from figuring out who qualifies to matching you with your next round's opponent is done by the game itself) I would really like to see something like this for their fighter but you could realistically expand upon it. They could potentially have weekly or even daily tournaments, where they could give out qualification spots for a bigger seasonal tournament as the reward for doing well. Maybe the reward for some online tournaments could be comp'd travel to a big offline tournament. There's a lot more they have the ability to do than just throw money at whoever's already winning tournaments.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've watched this video all damn day today. Ekko looks insane. I know nothing about League, but it looks like they update his look & shout to that because the homie has the proper hair he's supposed to have. I also see that Ekko is getting his own platformer? Hope that turns out to look just as good as Project L.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Never even cared about this game coming out but after seeing that I'm sold. I don't play any Riot titles but this, yeah, I gotta get it.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
No Yordle no buy (yeah I know this is f2p)

Also please do a playable Nunu and Willump.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This made me want to look up some league lore and learn about the characters. Didn't see that coming...

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing the fiasco of KoFXV "free" open beta, I'll have to add that the advantage of the F2P status is to avoid that bullshit on consoles.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So what are we thinking on roster? I am thinking close to 30 (probably somewhere like 24-28) especially with it being tag based and them taking their sweet time.

My guess on roster outside of the already confirmed:

Ezrael
Ashe
Fiora
Lee Sin
Yasuo
Akali
Riven
Draven
Miss Fortune
Sion
Twisted Fate
Pyke
Kai'Sa
Irelia
Zed
Sivir
Lux
Lucian
Teemo
Tryndamere
Thresh
Blitzcrank
Garen
Pantheon

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
Have any Japanese Pros made any comments or reacted to the trailer? I wonder if this can be the first western developed fighting game that can find success in Japan/Korea.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I hope Riots uses some unique designs rather than just the normal biped, stock standard size characters

I want to see some unique stuff Cassiopeia, Lillia, Corki, Gnar etc

Also really want to see Vel'Koz in the game, he's straight up just Shuma Gorath

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I dont think it necessarily tag fighters It's just most of them are based on western franchises like Marvel. BBTAG and DBFZ are fairly popular. I dont remember how CVS did in the east.

CvS not really a tag game, but true that about DBFZ. I know League as a property is big in at least Korea and China. No idea about Japan. It might have a shot tho.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
So what are we thinking on roster? I am thinking close to 30 (probably somewhere like 24-28) especially with it being tag based and them taking their sweet time.

Ezrael
Ashe
Fiora
Lee Sin
Yasuo
Akali
Riven
Draven
Miss Fortune
Sion
Twisted Fate
Pyke
Kai'Sa
Irelia
Zed
Sivir
Lux
Lucian
Teemo
Tryndamere
Thresh
Blitzcrank
Garen
Pantheon

I really, really think anything above 20 is just a pipe dream. People keep getting in their heads that team based means it MUST have 30 characters+, but like...it really doesn't. Especially if it's just 2v2. I'd advise against setting your expectations that high. KOF XIV launched with a lot of characters but 1) The vast majority of their characters have been designed before. Movesets, playstyle, etc. is already determined, it's just a matter of replicating that for 3D which leads to 2) KOF XIV models and animations were super, ultra low budget. The level of animation and character detail shown from these characters is way, way beyond KOF XIV and even XV. Given how expensive and time consuming it is to make characters, if we actually want the game before global warming shits on civilization... I just don't see it happening with that many characters.

But I won't be mad if I'm wrong.

Sunbeam

Alt account
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Who is this? He looks dope. They gotta put in and if they do, I'll main.
It's El Tigre Braum skin. Skinlines in league are generally set in alternate universes and this skinline is the Luchador universe. Short lived skinline, just one set.
Braum is still a great character though.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I really, really think anything above 20 is just a pipe dream. People keep getting in their heads that team based means it MUST have 30 characters+, but like...it really doesn't. Especially if it's just 2v2. I'd advise against setting your expectations that high. KOF XIV launched with a lot of characters but 1) The vast majority of their characters have been designed before. Movesets, playstyle, etc. is already determined, it's just a matter of replicating that for 3D which leads to 2) KOF XIV models and animations were super, ultra low budget. The level of animation and character detail shown from these characters is way, way beyond KOF XIV and even XV. Given how expensive and time consuming it is to make characters, if we actually want the game before global warming shits on civilization... I just don't see it happening with that many characters.

But I won't be mad if I'm wrong.
I'd personally be happy if it comes out with 16 characters and anything above 12 would be fine for me at release. Characters are bound to come out regularly after anyway.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I really, really think anything above 20 is just a pipe dream. People keep getting in their heads that team based means it MUST have 30 characters+, but like...it really doesn't.

Kinda does tho. The only major tag game to launch with a relatively small roster and be a smash hit is DBFZ, which launched with 24 characters.

1v1 and under 20 is fine. Team based and under 20 is not. All that Tencent money at their disposal and that insanely large pool of League characters to draw from, they better have more than 20 characters to match the hype they've been building.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017

Ezrael
Ashe
Fiora
Lee Sin
Yasuo
Akali
Riven
Draven
Miss Fortune
Sion
Twisted Fate
Pyke
Kai'Sa
Irelia
Zed
Sivir
Lux
Lucian
Teemo
Tryndamere
Thresh
Blitzcrank
Garen
Pantheon

24 champs is really the absolute upper limit for the initial roster for me. That's how many Legends of Runterra was shown off with, and I'm willing to bet it's a lot easier to design the champions and followers for that game than it is to design, model, and animate a fighting game character. I'm expecting honestly like 12-20 fully functional fighters but 24 might be possible. The game is F2P and they'll be releasing more champs later, the initial roster doesn't need to be sky-high and there's been plenty of recent tag fighters that have released with less. DBFZ had 24 and that was a 3v3 game with seemingly much more homogenized designs than Project L will end up with. (At least as far as the initial roster goes)

For the champs, it's mostly a ton of really obvious safe picks which is to say it's close to what I would come up with. I'm going to assume Vi is left off because you assume she's practically confirmed, cuz if not then yeah she really needs to be on there. For picks that seem a bit less likely Sivir and Sion are probably the ones that stick out the most. Sivir isn't that popular and I think there's much more obvious picks to represent Shurima, and for Sion I'm wondering how they would implement his passive in a genre where there has to be one clear winner and loser because he still dies after triggering it. I also don't know if they'll have MF and Lucian in the initial roster cuz they both fight by dual wielding pistols, one's almost guaranteed but maybe not both. Kai'Sa and Pyke are both very recent additions to the League universe and while they are both pretty popular (Pyke being the standout of the two IMO) I don't know how willing Riot'll be to have champs that are that new in the game because I imagine a lot of the target demo for this game will be people who played half a decade ago and they won't want many new champs on their roster. That being said, this game is coming out in 2023 at the earliest so by then Kai'Sa and Pyke are going to be around 5 years old by then so maybe they might be fine.

Ones I think are also likely:
> Azir is the face of Shurima, his design is awesome, and sand soldiers is an incredible gimmick to build a fighting game kit around. Seems like a slam dunk
> While I do think that people go overboard on suggesting extremely unlikely monster champs, I think that there is going to be some in the roster. More specifically, I think that there is very likely going to be a Void champ on the initial roster. (and by Void I don't mean supermodel in a purple outfit) The two most obvious picks are Cho'Gath and Kha'Zix, Kha in particular it could be cool to see how they integrate his evolving stuff and his design is better anyway so I'd say him.
> Braum is Braum. He's so great they had to find a way to crowbar him into the Ruined King RPG, he's super likely here.
> I think that if they don't go for my theory of having support characters that don't fight as your second character, they're still going to have some that work as fighters. Of those I think Lulu is the most obvious pick, controlling Pix could be a cool gimmick and she's just a fun character with a unique personality.
> He's boring as hell but Riot uses him a lot for crap so I think Malphite is also very likely.

More ambitious picks that I want to say now that they're likely so I can say later I called it:
> Shyvana is an awesome as hell character conceptually, she's playable in Wild Rift and LoR, she was featured heavily in the Ruination marketing. I think that the idea is solid it's just her execution in League is subpar which is why she's not more popular.
> Karma is another pick that I think is solid, again used a lot in the Ruination and she's got a cool design and it would be cool if she had EX special moves like her League ult.
> Zoe would definitely get people's attention, (for better or worse) also her portals could make for a cool as hell fighter.
> Other potential yordles for me are Poppy and Ziggs. Poppy I want to say is the 3rd most popular yordle now behind Teemo and Lulu, and Ziggs is just an obviously good concept.
> Viktor's design is great, he's getting a massive boost due to Arcane, and his cyborg design is fairly unique among League champs.
> Lastly, my spiciest take is Yuumi. She has the issue of being too new, but I think her odds are good eventually. Firstly, she's one of the most popular characters in the game in terms of play rate and IMO her appeal is obvious. Secondly, as I mentioned in previous posts I think it's likely that they might have the option to choose secondary characters that don't directly fight, and the first champ that jumps to everyone's mind with that is Yuumi. Third, it would make League players hella fucking salty and I want to see that shit.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
> Lastly, my spiciest take is Yuumi. She has the issue of being too new, but I think her odds are good eventually. Firstly, she's one of the most popular characters in the game in terms of play rate and IMO her appeal is obvious. Secondly, as I mentioned in previous posts I think it's likely that they might have the option to choose secondary characters that don't directly fight, and the first champ that jumps to everyone's mind with that is Yuumi. Third, it would make League players hella fucking salty and I want to see that shit.
I really like your idea of the secondary support character but how do you think it'd effect roster size? Like, there's 22 characters but 4 of them are these support types.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
I really like your idea of the secondary support character but how do you think it'd effect roster size? Like, there's 22 characters but 4 of them are these support types.

Man, I couldn't even begin to imagine. That depends on like a billion factors that I have no clue about. Firstly, I can only assume that making a fighting game character from scratch is super hard. Skullgirls a while back said it cost them 250k to make a character and gave a breakdown on what that money was spent on including labor, doing some rough ass napkin math on the breakdown I feel like it takes them close to like 5000 man hours to make a character. (3200 hours in-house assuming 40 hour work weeks, I assumed that the animation contractors worked around $18 compared to the $15 they were paying their employees, plus various other stuff that I assumed took up about 150 hours because I wanted a nice round number) Of course, that's Skullgirls. I have no clue how many hours it'll take for the Cannons and Co to make their champs, probably a lot more than that due to how much effort Riot puts into everything.

Then there'd be the question of how much work they end up doing for the secondary characters. Surely you need models, art (like character portraits ect), and some animations for whatever their assists are. But how far past that do you go? They might want to have some supers, if there's intro and outro animations they'd probably show up for that too, also maybe some unique mechanics to make them interesting picks. (Maybe some can heal in some way? How would that work in a fighting game?) They might end up putting a lot of effort in these characters to make fans of them less disappointed that they're not directly controllable, or they could end up largely just doing something that isn't much further than modelling the character and art as well as a relatively small amount of animation and effects.

So to give you the least helpful possible answer, they would probably be able to have more champs if some aren't fully controllable. How many more? I really can't say cuz I have no insight on how many champs they're going to make for the game's launch aside from a rough guess of probably no lower than 12 and realistically not above 24, let alone how much if my theory's correct and some of them aren't directly controllable because I don't know how much easier they would be to make than the normal ones. Also I doubt they'd want too much of the roster not being directly playable.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Characters I think have an almost 100% chance of being in
Vi
Garen (Teased actually in that 2018 Rising Thunder Goodies Bag they sent to people after they were bought by Riot (2 years following) where a video of Rising Thunder footage had his icons)
Lucian (Also teased in the same footage)
Lux
Lee Sin
Malphite
Jayce

Characters I think have a 80% chance of being in
Sett
Camille
Zed
Talon
Akali
Braum
Viktor