• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017

Sigourney's peeformance is so fucking good. You can really see the adrenaline running through Ripley, as she mentally prepares herself to descend into hell.

And I'm glad the superior special edition version is finally available online. Love that exchange of names.

Oct 28, 2017
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of seeing (in the theater) another movie with an equally intense climactic scene. Nothing comes to mind.

That cut to the ship entering the reactor with Horner's score is just 👌

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Cameron would get his ass away from Avatar and save the Alien franchise from Old Man Scott's stupidity.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
How many Cameron threads have you started? ;)

Yeah it a great character moment, remember when he did those?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the prep scene is so good

her getting ready is keeping her mind off what she's doing, but she finishes before the elevator stops and has a moment of reflection that even the audience feels

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Well it's GOAT.

Special effect still look soooo good.

I just noticed Hick wear a digital watch. Is this a Casio model I can buy?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Ok, and how dope was it when she threatened the Queen by aiming the flame thrower's nozzle at an egg. Then, just as Rip is inching away, *sqrish* an egg opens and she gives the Queen a look like, "Really, bitch?"

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
tumblr_n3y5jrIzSj1s2wio8o1_500.gif

So good

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
This scene is not only great because you can see Ripley preparing herself for what is to come, but also because it shows you how long this elevator is which means even if she finds Newt, she has to go all the way up again and there is only so much time left. It builds tension and excitement without any dialogue and there is no stupid cop out like skipping from one scene to the next without explanation.
In this movie (and the original Alien too) it actually feels like the people are on a real planet/ship in contrast to a lot of modern movies where it looks like the actors are dressed up in cosplay and just go from set to set. This elevator scene on the surface looks like nothing is really going on, because it gives you a slight break from what Ripley has already been through at that point, while simultaneously preparing for the climax. It's great screenwriting right there.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason why she was nominated for a best actress Oscar for this movie.

Which is impressive for a sci-fi/action/horror film.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Ok, and how dope was it when she threatened the Queen by aiming the flame thrower's nozzle at an egg. Then, just as Rip is inching away, *sqrish* an egg opens and she gives the Queen a look like, "Really, bitch?"
That look she gives is so great. It's very subtle, but it conveys exactly what she is thinking. It becomes very personal for her in that moment, and thus even knowing that the whole place was going to be vaporized in just a few short minutes, she decides to torch the Queen's egg chamber. It's not a logical move, but she is driven by emotion at the point. It's one of the best moments in a film full of them.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Love this movie and that scene. Agreed this is arguably one of the best finales to an action movie of all time. This movie had perfect casting and Sigourney absolutely killed this role!

Oct 28, 2017
This scene is not only great because you can see Ripley preparing herself for what is to come, but also because it shows you how long this elevator is which means even if she finds Newt, she has to go all the way up again and there is only so much time left. It builds tension and excitement without any dialogue and there is no stupid cop out like skipping from one scene to the next without explanation.
In this movie (and the original Alien too) it actually feels like the people are on a real planet/ship in contrast to a lot of modern movies where it looks like the actors are dressed up in cosplay and just go from set to set. This elevator scene on the surface looks like nothing is really going on, because it gives you a slight break from what Ripley has already been through at that point, while simultaneously preparing for the climax. It's great screenwriting right there.

Great point. You would never see something like this in a JJ Abrams movie, for example.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Such a well made film.

This and T2 are masterful action films that throw everything at you to build tension and excitement.

Oct 26, 2017
When she has her eyes shut, controlling her breathing just as the elevator's about to stop, then opens her eyes and looks forward. That half a second. Man.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely in my top 3 action movies. The pacing is excellent, and the feeling of tension is palpable in some scenes. I have the Directors cut blu-Ray lying around here...might have to watch that again soon.

Ceileachair

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a powerful scene, I love that when the elevator door opens when she's at the bottom and the music stops and all's you can hear is the sound from the flame thrower and the occasional countdown.
Few movies convey an emotional impact with minimal dialogue.
Another movie that does this for me is Conan the Barbarian, when he retrieves the Atlantean sword from that ancient burial mound and he's still all chained up, gets the sword climbs to the top looks to the horizon and swings the sword in a down stroke to cut the chains from his ankle and the wolves perk up / next scene running while covered in wolf pelts.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is still my favorite movie all time. Much of the second half is just relentless non stop intensity.

Nov 7, 2017
Every thing about Aliens is just so fucking great. The best movie of all time.
The way she tilts her head and then unleashes all her built up anger is perfection.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan

Sigourney's peeformance is so fucking good. You can really see the adrenaline running through Ripley, as she mentally prepares herself to descend into hell.

And I'm glad the superior special edition version is finally available online. Love that exchange of names.

You're right about Sigourney Weaver's performance - wrong about the special edition.

Theatrical cut is where it's at, man. Lean, mean, nonstop adrenaline machine. Some of the scenes in the special edition are neat, but they mess with the pacing too much.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
and then 3 followed that up with a giant fuck you for caring about these characters

still bitter about it now

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Back when Cameron could deliver. Good times

ChuckStank

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I loved the little part of Aliens during the Great Movie Ride at Disney World. I was 7 years old the first time I saw it back in 1991. Never forgot it.