• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Reviews:
Nintendo World Report - 8/10
While it would benefit greatly from a further exploration of its own mechanics and multiplayer functionality, it remains a very fun and technically-solid racer that can more than hold its own against the system's best.

Nintendo Life - 7/10
As long as you're playing it docked and willing to put the time in to master its helium-light handling, Rise eventually reveals itself to be a rewarding and visually fantastic arcade style racer with an interesting Challenges mode. Its slightly blurry handheld visuals and the complete lack of multiplayer are disappointing, but persevere with its slippery steering and the payoff is a fun – if unforgiving – solo racing game.

Original post:

Per the Nintendo.com page, the game is 1.7 GB.

Weird price point, but it looks amazing.

Last edited:

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
This game was one of the 5 first games announced for the Switch, then NX. Cool to see it actually release.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, pleasantly surprised the Switch version is so visually polished considering this is the first platform agnostic game they have made.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Looks awesome. I wish the soundtrack sounded a little less generic but otherwise, I like what I'm seeing in these videos.

Oct 26, 2017
D_Yc12XUIAAMvlb
D_Yc12IUIAAyrm1
D_YcueCUcAAMFkU

D_Yc_gmU4AARUMq
D_Yc_gdUEAAm-9-
D_Yc_gbU8AADidh

RIP Fernando Velez. :'(

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
A good short little video about the developers. They were the Panic Button before there was Panic Button (sort of)

Christo750

May 10, 2018
This looks interesting and it's cheap and I've all but given up hope of '90s Arcade Racer ever hitting, so I'm in!

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Great to see the legacy of VD to continue. Sweet price point too. Looks a tad to "generic" but can't wait to see how it goes!

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Gonna watch these videos. Wasn't too impressed with the one they have up on the e shop. And why is this only single player?

OP
OP
Jon Carter

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why "#Pewdiepie"? Is this game somehow associated with him?

Not to my knowledge. Maybe they're hoping to get his attention for greater visibility, because they're tiny and most likely can't afford any marketing. For what it's worth, they're French and not in his target demo, so they may not be aware of the controversies and just know him as one of the most popular influencers in the English-speaking world.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is SUCH an odd price point. Not gonna lie. Not a complaint, just... odd.

Still, that looks REALLY nice.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I'm in.

Still wish this game had come out earlier when the 3DS was still relevant (there went enough good racers on the platform), but I'm very happy they were able to overcome the tragedy of losing their coworker.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine if every Switch port had a few demo scene programmers working in it?

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Looks very nice and I love the car designs, but it seems quite slow for this style of racer. Also, this is a bit of a nitpick but that name is so generic.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm apprehensive of new racing games like this, but then I see this:

This game was one of the 5 first games announced for the Switch, then NX. Cool to see it actually release.

I hope this is the game that will fill in the niche that Gear Club Unlimited 1/2 and Xenon Racer failed to do.

edit: I see Hero of Legend's short synopsis of the game above! Hmm, will keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Jon Carter

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm reviewing it BTW and it's almost done. I tweeted a quick summary:

it isn't unfortunately, but it runs in native 1080p docked says VD-dev.

It's 60fps IIRC on Steam though.

Sounds great. Does it look good undocked? Some games take a massive hit going from docked to undocked, like V-Rally 4, and others look virtually identical, like Team Sonic Racing. Does it seem to be around 720p?

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
So this has basically come out of nowhere for me, nice
One quick question, do the controls take much getting used to though seeing as its maybe on the sim side of things ??

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Not yet. I could give it a shot. I'm not an undocked person. I hate risking scratches every time I take it out of the dock. :P
Come on, take the bullet for me :-P

More seriously how is the challenge level with higher difficulty?
Does it feel satisfying to overcome the CPUs on harder difficulties?
Did you enjoy the track design?

Oct 26, 2017
Come on, take the bullet for me :-P

More seriously how is the challenge level with higher difficulty?
Does it feel satisfying to overcome the CPUs on harder difficulties?
Did you enjoy the track design?

Wish granted! :P

Honestly Rookie is my level as I find it hard at times. I'd hate to try the higher difficulties.. well I could give Pro a shot. :P

I dug the track design in both visually and actual design. Pretty pleasant to race through. Only bits I didn't like were any of those water bits where you have those ball things acting like a boarder, but you can get flung over then and quickly reset. One track had this after a jump and this is at a very sharp turn, so you'll literally have to know it's coming or else you'll fuck up here every time. :P

Jun 2, 2019
I know this is basically dreaming but the game being compatible with the GameCube controller's analog triggers would be perfect

I'm buying this either way. VD_Dev is a studio that I'll always support

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Wish granted! :P

Honestly Rookie is my level as I find it hard at times. I'd hate to try the higher difficulties.. well I could give Pro a shot. :P

I dug the track design in both visually and actual design. Pretty pleasant to race through. Only bits I didn't like were any of those water bits where you have those ball things acting like a boarder, but you can get flung over then and quickly reset. One track had this after a jump and this is at a very sharp turn, so you'll literally have to know it's coming or else you'll fuck up here every time. :P

Thank you!

Oct 26, 2017
Updated the review with a portable screen and bits about portable mode in the visuals section and the Love It section.