• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

So...

River City Girls stars Kyoko and Misako, two street-tough high-schoolers who must fight their way through the six regions of River City to rescue their kidnapped boyfriends, series mainstays Kunio and Riki. Along the way, they'll utilize an arsenal of combos, counters, throws, and special attacks; battle an assortment of enemies; accept numerous side quests; level up with experience points; interact with NPCs (including guest stars from past River City games); and shop for a variety of items, food, and gear to boost stats and unlock new abilities. The girls can even wield weapons and recruit defeated foes to join them in combat!

VS

The wait is over! Rash, Zitz and Pimple are returning at last to Morph Attack their way through an all-new action-packed adventure of choreographed chaos, and couch co-op may never be the same again.

1-3 players will take control of the Battletoads and team up to storm through wild and unpredictable stages with only one rule – expect the unexpected. Teamwork makes the dream work in a drop-in, drop-out gameplay blast, filled with over-the-top combat that anyone can enjoy, but only a True 'Toad can master.

With a unique hand-animated cartoon style and packed with memorable characters and locations, the Battletoads are back for a larger-than-life brawl across the universe that promises to be fun alone, and unforgettable together.

Im not gonna stand here and say i was a huge Battletoads fan in my Youth. I wasn't. I was neither all that big on Kunio Kun. Those were not my things when i was young. Simple as that. However, i cannot shake off just how better the Trailer for River City Girls look. it feels fresh, yet it fully calls back to the Kunio Kun games. Even the more modern ones released on 3DS, while having a fun, cool, modern aesthetic that is not too distracting, over the top of hard to see what the hell is on the screen... unlike Battletoads, which has such a messy visual representation on screen that i have to wonder how the hell could anyone think this was a good idea...

Clearly River City Girls has a lower budget, and CLEARLY it has way less PR behind it than a Battletoads revival. So i wanted to make this thread to let you know... if the new Battletoads is not your thing... consider River City Girls. It looks way better in both visual style and presentation. And both will be avaliable on XBOX and PC, so you get your pick regardless of system... except that River City Girls is going to be made avaliable in more places, so you should probably just support it anyway cause it looks really freaking cool.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
What a timeline.

We got this, Streets of Rage 4 and the new Battletoads....

Now we just need a new Final Fight.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a revival, though? No need to pit one against the other too, it's not like this genre is overflowing with completely new titles like FPSes.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Weird thread since both are not out lol

I don't get the BT hate. I love the art style and animation.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This wouldn't hate half the hate it receives on ERA if it wasn't a Microsoft game. Battletoads looks fine and it's going for a different art style.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
How about we wait and see the actual finished products before pitting them against each other? All of the previews I've seen of Battletoads say it's much better than people think anyway.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there have been a bunch of new Kunio-Kun games as of late so I'm not sure how this is a revival.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Battletoads looks a lot better from those two trailers. But I don't know since there both not out...

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wayforward totally nailed it with Double Dragon Neon. I'm sure RCG will be great.

BT looks good too though.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
The thread I'm going to make at some point in the future will be better than this thread. I just want to let people know that if they feel disappointed in this thread, there's a better one coming.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I think all three (including Streets of Rage 4) look good and look forward to reviews.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
River City was never dead, how is this a revival.
Outside of Japan, the series came back over 10 years ago.

Ecco45

Mar 19, 2018
It also looks better than SoR4.

The animations and pixel art are so expressive!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I do think that River City Girls is much more visually appealing than the new Battletoads, and the RPG-style beat'em up is something I could use more of. By contrast, Battletoads, just based on the E3 trailer, looks like basically everything that I did not like about Battletoads.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Different tastes, I guess.

River City Girls' pixel art is a little off putting for me, as I despise anything pixel art.

On the other hand, I love the way the new Battletoads look, modern Cartoon Network style, pretty up with the times.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
It's not hard to be better than Battletoads when that game doesn't even resemble the original.

It's not even the same genre for what we saw :(

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think RCG looks pretty cool but I'd reserve judgement until playing both myself.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
RCG is a hundred times more visually appealing but that's to be expected because Battletoads is Battletoads

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
With what I've seen so far I have to agree. I was pretty underwhelmed with the art direction of the new Battletoads. I expected something a lot more visually impressive, it just looks kinda..blah..which is a bummer cause it's the reveal I was most looking forward to at this E3.

Who knows though, the game might make some big strides before release, it maybe we just didn't get enough footage to see what they're going for.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Let the games come out first?

Also you can hype RCG without trying to tear down another game.

Though I do understand and share some of the concerns with Battletoads, It looks mad slow.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
WayForward AND Arc System Works? How can this team-up fail?!

I just saw one of the girls do a power dunk. Hell yeah.

holdmybeer

Jan 2, 2019
Battle toads remind of the cartoons my kids watch now. Maybe it's targeted towards a younger demographic as I can see this becoming a cartoon series as well as clothes line like Minecraft

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Battle toads remind of the cartoons my kids watch now. Maybe it's targeted towards a younger demographic as I can see this becoming a cartoon series as well as clothes line like Minecraft

definitely 2010s by design and not particularly aimed at 80s/90s kids. kinda went overkill with the new direction but i don't have much problem with it

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RCG looks absolutely gorgeous but Battletoads isn't like... awful. It's just those driving sections that looks a bit crappy.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't like the visuals of either game. Certainly RCG has that anime school girl look which is super cringe. On the other hand, whilst I'd be less embarrassed to be caught playing Battletoads, it has that modern kids cartoon look which I don't like.

So I dislike them both when it comes to visuals. In terms of gameplay, which is going to be either game's saviour here, neither OP or I has played either game so it's impossible to say which is the better revival. Also not sure why they're competing anyway, and it's not like the original Battletoads games were all that good anyway (never played or even heard of any River City stuff).

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This wouldn't hate half the hate it receives on ERA if it wasn't a Microsoft game. Battletoads looks fine and it's going for a different art style.
The Microsoft fan persecution complex that pops up every time there is any criticism of the platform or an exclusive is getting really really old.

All games get shit on around here, get over yourselves. Lose the downtrodden underdog routine.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The original Battletoads is, like, 10% brawler so the revival is already a misfire. I loved how the each new level was practically a different genre.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Let's wait until the games are out before deciding which one is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.