• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's like they knew they only had Chad for one episode so they just blew the entire plotline up with comic excess.
His persona was just weird in this episode. He was always crazy (obviously, he's a cult leader), but in season 3 it felt more like an understated, twisted religious zealot way. Here he turned into a full anime villain.

I guess my thing with season 4 is I don't really know where they're going with it? Obviously they keep building stuff up about the spring break with Jughead, and I guess I'm glad they chose to resolve a few things before plunging into the next big conspiracy, but I dunno, I feel like the show's run its course.

Then again there were people saying that directly after season 1 (and they were probably right).

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, episode 4 was crazy, even for Riverdale.
I didn't think that the plot with the Farm could possibly go off the rails this much.
It's like they knew they only had Chad for one episode so they just blew the entire plotline up with comic excess.
At first I thought this was insane, which it definitely was, but then I realized it was kind of genius as an homage to 70s B-movies. The quick zoom to Edgar on the stairs, the beret, the rocket and Evel Knievel jumpsuit. After this episode though, I really think they wasted the character of Edgar last season and the entire cult storyline if he was capable of this amount of excessive villainy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought this was insane, which it definitely was, but then I realized it was kind of genius as an homage to 70s B-movies. The quick zoom to Edgar on the stairs, the beret, the rocket and Evel Knievel jumpsuit. After this episode though, I really think they wasted the character of Edgar last season and the entire cult storyline if he was capable of this amount of excessive villainy.

Seriously. It would've been a lot more fun if the Farm was THIS crazy (living in a dilapidated hotel!?) from the very beginning.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I didn't mind how it looked (the costume etc.), but it just made so little sense in the scope of general story, that it was hilarious.
I'm glad we're done with the Farm subplot, but most of the ones we have left don't seem interesting at all.
For Archie, it feels like we're going through the "Archie has his heart in the right place, but is an idiot" story again.
With Jug, I understand that the writers wanted to make Bret (?) seem petty, but the way he went from 0 to 100 was kind of an overkill. That said, it's Riverdale we're talking about, so in this sense everything was perfectly normal.
I'm curious where the Cheryl plot is going to go, now that Toni knows.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like they needed to end this cult storyline as it played it's part in S3 but it was a weird episode. That scene with Betty and Mama cooper walking with the gun was so fucking dope though especially the slow motion.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind how it looked (the costume etc.), but it just made so little sense in the scope of general story, that it was hilarious.
I'm glad we're done with the Farm subplot, but most of the ones we have left don't seem interesting at all.
For Archie, it feels like we're going through the "Archie has his heart in the right place, but is an idiot" story again.
With Jug, I understand that the writers wanted to make Bret (?) seem petty, but the way he went from 0 to 100 was kind of an overkill. That said, it's Riverdale we're talking about, so in this sense everything was perfectly normal.
I'm curious where the Cheryl plot is going to go, now that Toni knows.

The third Blossom kid is gonna show up and Cheryl's gonna lose it even further.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I spent an hour shouting at my television with this episode. The rocket, the beret, Mr. Lodge wandering out of prison at will, chest bursting rats, Archie fights herd of toughs in a scene lit like a Refn movie and Jughead tumbles headlong into Hogwarts for Bret Easton Ellis.

How is it that Sabrina which is about magic and bullshit more grounded than this?

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I spent an hour shouting at my television with this episode. The rocket, the beret, Mr. Lodge wandering out of prison at will, chest bursting rats, Archie fights heard of toughs in a scene lit like a Refn movie and Jughead tumbles headlong into Hogwarts for Bret Easton Ellis.

How is it that Sabrina which is about magic and bullshit more grounded than this?
Or Dynasty less soapy?

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Had trouble watching the latest episode, because I just *couldn't* process what had occurred previously.

Betty:

1.) Diffused a bomb
2.) Stole a bus
3.) Got knocked out / locked up
4.) Escaped confinement with her mother
5.) Confronted Edgar Evernever with said mother, who was inexplicably dressed as Evil Fucking Kineval attempting to escape in a fucking homemade rocket
6.)???
7.) Shits all good and nobody is going to mention all of that was definitely a fever dream

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Had trouble watching the latest episode, because I just *couldn't* process what had occurred previously.

Betty:

1.) Diffused a bomb
2.) Stole a bus
3.) Got knocked out / locked up
4.) Escaped confinement with her mother
5.) Confronted Edgar Evernever with said mother, who was inexplicably dressed as Evil Fucking Kineval attempting to escape in a fucking homemade rocket
6.)???
7.) Shits all good and nobody is going to mention all of that was definitely a fever dream

Nothing escapes The Betty Cooper Singularity not even fake Evel Knieval. Only bad cam show plot lines can weaken her true power.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched episode 3 of this season, lmao. What. The. Fuck. Did I just watch lol.

Crickey

Banned
Jul 16, 2019
I liked the show in the previous seasons but now they're just going crazy with it and it's just getting ridiculous. There are like 5 different plots going on in one episode and suddenly they are finished and nobody talks about them anymore...

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I liked the show in the previous seasons but now they're just going crazy with it and it's just getting ridiculous. There are like 5 different plots going on in one episode and suddenly they are finished and nobody talks about them anymore...

The Halloween episode felt an attempt to tell entirely self-contained stories that would ultimately advance each character's narrative. The best part about the ridiculous Cheryl Blossom story is that it didn't feel tonally different the normal Dark Shadows bullshit written for that character.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Well, things sure are happening. I hate how Archie's arc is yet another "he means well, but his execution is extremely stupid so he is needlessly putting himself in danger". Is it the 3rd time, 4th time?
Also, who else thinks that those weird timeskips we've been getting since the end of last season are Jughead trying out his "perfect murder" irl? I'd say it goes poorly, but I doubt they'd kill him off. Or maybe it's just showing the events of his book, but using Riverdale characters or something.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Well, things sure are happening. I hate how Archie's arc is yet another "he means well, but his execution is extremely stupid so he is needlessly putting himself in danger". Is it the 3rd time, 4th time?
Also, who else thinks that those weird timeskips we've been getting since the end of last season are Jughead trying out his "perfect murder" irl? I'd say it goes poorly, but I doubt they'd kill him off. Or maybe it's just showing the events of his book, but using Riverdale characters or something.

It reminds me of the way How To Get Away With Murder deal with their flash forward stories but Riverdale is doing it with less style and effectiveness.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt like this episode, it felt off. I did like the introduction of V's sister though and bringing Hiram out. Betty and Jughead have the best storyline so far but lets see how things go. I loved the Halloween episode especially cheryl and Toni's story.

Also glad that cult storyline is dead finally. They should have ended it in S3 when it was actually good.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I was the opposite of into those cat murder flashbacks. Holy shit.

Also I am here for the release of Hiram Lodge from jail. He is best when he is causing batshit shenanigans.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
What the heck was this episode even.
How many more never before shown family members are we going to see this season?
How many more times Archie will try to do the right thing so much that he'll ask Hiram for help, which will result in being used/betrayed?

Regarding Charles/Chic - it seems that Charles wanted to have evidence to prove that Betty's family was responsible for the death of the shady guy to let Chic out of prison?

That suicide scene was so, so dumb. Like... what?

One thing I actually like was Jughead talking with the write dude who's name I don't even remember. Yes, that was a realistic reaction an adult would have towards an angry teenager (although of course he's guilty).

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching this halfway through episode 3 this season, and it looks like I made the right call.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I know literally nothing about Nancy Drew ahah. I'm not from the US (nor did I know English as a kid), so her books weren't really popular where I live growing up.

I think I'm gonna give it a try.

It's actually pretty good. Maybe Riverdale just conditioned me to accept craziness, but the weird stuff happening in Nancy Drew really don't phase me much.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen a show jump the shark more than Riverdale in season 3. What the fuck was that.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018
Okay, I love Riverdale, it's trash and a guilty pleasure of mine.
But I just finished season two of Elité and can't understand why there isn't an OT for that show! It's sooo good, you can't even compare it with the writing of Riverdale.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Everything said about how even further off the deep end this show went by episode 3 of S4 is absolutely true.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That sex thing is weird. Like you got pregnant young, be glad your kid takes birth control.