• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Ethel going full heel was kind of a weird twist. I don't think the King will turn out to really be a supernatural creature when all is said and done, but man would it be great if it is.
I'm still hopeful and I like the Ethel turn. I was afraid they were going to kill her off for a bit, but it seems she's still got some life in her for now at least.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Riverdale suppose to be in New York/NJ since veronica and her parents seem to go into New York as in New York City a lot. Also do rural suburbs really have such a white gang problem that teenagers organize and control it?

Also my god, with the police corruption and underground fight club. Also are they gonna kill the stranger things girl yet? Shes been the most annoying thing this season

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
This show is preposterously stupid and horrendously plotted (which is weird, because the first season was actually pretty strong in this regard), but I am here for it every week.
I don't think I've seen it summed up better than this sentence.

I love how there's a fucking juvenile detention fight club, and there are dozens of people watching it. It's just so crazytown absurd.

Is Riverdale suppose to be in New York/NJ since veronica and her parents seem to go into New York as in New York City a lot. Also do rural suburbs really have such a white gang problem that teenagers organize and control it?

Also my god, with the police corruption and underground fight club. Also are they gonna kill the stranger things girl yet? Shes been the most annoying thing this season

Yeah, I think it's essentially based in Riverdale, NY (which is a real place in suburban NY), though they never mention the state.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Archie says he's guilty because he thinks he's does deserve to serve time for the things he's done

A month of serving time in prison later and he's all ready to break out

Alice is kind of normal one minute and then the next is seemingly full on brainwashed into the farm stuff, and I'm not a fan. I thought we were done with the Alice is manipulated by someone Betty doesn't trust storyline like with Chic last season.

I realize that she was on Twin Peaks and so "Madchen Amick being weird" is like half the reason they hired her in the first place, but yeah. Her character is losing more and more believability as the show goes on.

And it is pretty funny that Archie went from "I have to do this it's the right thing to do" to "fuck it time to bust out" so quick, you're right.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I dont get this show's obsession with seperating Archie from the main plot for huge stretches

Like the first season he's fucking around with music and shit while Betty and Jughead are doing the exciting detective stuff

Second season he's hunting the hood by himself or messing around with gangsters for arbitrary reasons

Third season he's in prison seperated from everyone

Like he's supposed to be the main character but he's hardly ever that relevant

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I dont get this show's obsession with seperating Archie from the main plot for huge stretches

Like the first season he's fucking around with music and shit while Betty and Jughead are doing the exciting detective stuff

Second season he's hunting the hood by himself or messing around with gangsters for arbitrary reasons

It's because he sucks. He's the worst character. They should have been bold enough to make Betty the undisputed lead.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its even weirder since Veronica dates that guy in real life, the dude who was shirtless and had drugs in the box. And you can clearly tell they are gonna break up archie and veronica since shes banging that 1 dude in real life. Just like how jughead and betty date in real life

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love how every time Toni and Cheryl are seen together they get mentioned how they are couple yet we never see them kiss or do anything couple like.

The fact that a 16 year old owns a mocktail bar. God this show is dumb.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I love how every time Toni and Cheryl are seen together they get mentioned how they are couple yet we never see them kiss or do anything couple like.

The fact that a 16 year old owns a mocktail bar. God this show is dumb.

The speakeasy shit is absolutely absurd. How the fuck did she afford the redecoration down there, much less come up with a business plan to sell fake alcoholic drinks to teenagers? Veronica is becoming a parody of herself, and her character was already supposed to be kind of a swerve on the Gossip Girl cliche.

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Every time the prison warden is on screen I can't stop thinking about how much he looks like the doctor from The Muppets.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show is so dumb, it always has been, but now it's lost its self aware charm. I just fucking can't.

Yet I can't stop watching.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ffs why does Archie's plot suck so much. Just have him be involved in both Jughead and Veronicas storylines as a side character. I can't do this prison shit :( anymore.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just fired up Netflix and realized I'm an episode behind. Explains the fight club and archie breaking out stuff you've all been talking about that I was confused by. Thought I glossed over some stuff

Into the breach I go

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Ok, Archie's storyline got a little more interesting but still, I am all in on this Gargoyle King nonsense.

During the ending with Ethel talking I said to myself "this fucking Gargoyle King is going to be in the damn hospital full costume and all". Sure enough there he or she was and I'm sitting here like
gQ4Dn99.jpg

Jughead and Betty exploring it is cool, but give me some Scooby-Doo type shit and bring in the rest of the crew. Let Josie and Kevin do more than be mostly in the background. Let Cheryl get her Monster Hunter on and hunt down a Gargoyle.

Couldn't care less about Hiram and Veronica's back and forth, getting too repetitive now.

Wait is this WrassleEra? Honestly got confused for a second since like 90% of time here is in the Wrassle thread. Also, I couldn't agree more. More people need to be on Gargoyle patrol. This show is consistently best when they spin up combinations of characters they don't usually pursue. Otherwise they fall back into their own traps and that's how we getting half a season of Jughead being THE WORST.

I'm so tired of the Archshank Redemption already. Why does Archie think breaking out of prison is going to go well for him? I realize he knows that the whole thing is a Hiram troll job, but breaking out of prison is still breaking the law, and even if they stop Hiram's evil plan he's not going to get pardoned for that.

Oh god, that's exactly what Archie thinks is going to happen, isn't it...

I feel like Archie has been consistently portrayed as the perfect representation of privilege and entitlement made flesh. He often offers the circular logic that something is right because he thinks and that something should happen because he wants it. Since the second season, he simultaneously shown disdain for the rule of law while claiming to be some sort of defender of justice. He's terrible but I think we're meant to think he's mostly terrible.

Ethel going full heel was kind of a weird twist. I don't think the King will turn out to really be a supernatural creature when all is said and done, but man would it be great if it is.

We describing the plot points of Riverdale with wrassle lingo now? This thread IS WrassleEra. I think the Ethel Muggs heel turn is a good move. Shannon Purser is good at it and still manages to ground the performance in a way that doesn't make the character entirely unsympathetic. Also is it too much to hope that The Gargoyle King can be defeated/chased off without being explained? It allows them to continue to do weird shit without explicitly eliminating supernatural possibilities or broadening the show's scope. I just want me some angry Jughead "I'll guess we'll never know..."

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017

Well at least this season they had a reason, KJ Apa was out filming the hate you give. They probably moved his shooting schedule around to accommodate him.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

Funny how that seems taboo but Kevin seems to get busy constantly...

originally the musical episode of season 2 was suppose to be the sabrina backdoor pilot thing, but the netflix move happen and stuff

Do you know this, or just speculating?

Well at least this season they had a reason, KJ Apa was out filming the hate you give. They probably moved his shooting schedule around to accommodate him.
Doesn't he just have a bit role in the film?

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
This show is preposterously stupid and horrendously plotted (which is weird, because the first season was actually pretty strong in this regard), but I am here for it every week.

Agreed. It is legitimately a tremendously stupid show, yet I watch for some reason. It's pretty much a case of it's so bad, it's good. This after school special D&D shit has me howling with laughter.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on the season. The exponential escalation of absurdity is almost impressive.

I am mostly hung up on this speakeasy thing though. Pops has an incredible amount of floor space in the basement. It is pretty extravagant when their target customer base are a bunch of high school students in this relatively small town. I mean a valet service??? Seemingly entirely staffed by high schoolers as well. That place better only open once a month tops or who is showing up. In like five episodes they will talk about how it is massively profitable and I will be further confused.

The g&g plot is more of the fun kind of dumb.

Oct 25, 2017
It lost that in S2, this season seems to be better though
It's not better (which doesnt make S2 good by extension) but at least it's obvious that this is the intended direction they want to take the show in so that makes it easier to watch since you know what you're gonna get instead of expecting something else and being frustrated.

Sch1sm

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I'm so over this prison arc that I feel like I'm gonna just scrobble through those sections and run on the assumption that Archie manages to just scrape by on whatever he needs to do, or is asked to do by the Warden, as he always does. Shit is old. This Gargoyle King thing, though? I'm with it. Interesting that Ethel almost insisted to Jughead that there was only one copy of the rules, and FP and Alice went out of their way to burn it, only for the whole school to get a copy. She's definitely spread his gospel, that's for sure. Whole school gonna be out here with blue lips, and I'm grateful because I want to see what the parents of Riverdale are involved in that they had a whole meeting in the mayor's office.

I'm still struggling to understand the purpose of The Farm in the show, though.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Finally catching up. The cult stuff and griffins & gargoyles is the only things that are holding my interest. Archie's prison fightclub isn't grabbing me and Veronica's club stuff isn't either. I think part of my problem is that after watching Sabrina, a lot of this feels toothless.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished Season 2, and boy was it much worse than the first season. Anyway, it had an interesting ending anyway with V's dad's corruption and Archie's arrest.

How has Season 3 been so far? Any improvement on last season? Worth jumping in on?

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I realize that she was on Twin Peaks and so "Madchen Amick being weird" is like half the reason they hired her in the first place, but yeah. Her character is losing more and more believability as the show goes on.

And it is pretty funny that Archie went from "I have to do this it's the right thing to do" to "fuck it time to bust out" so quick, you're right.
Well Archie tried to break the system by trying to get all the prisoners together for a football game. Showed them that they are more than gang members and outcasts. But of course the Warden spoiled that. So if you can't break the system, escape it. That's his only choice.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well Archie tried to break the system by trying to get all the prisoners together for a football game. Showed them that they are more than gang members and outcasts. But of course the Warden spoiled that. So if you can't break the system, escape it. That's his only choice.

He could also just serve his time like he said he was going to do.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I just finished Season 2, and boy was it much worse than the first season. Anyway, it had an interesting ending anyway with V's dad's corruption and Archie's arrest.

How has Season 3 been so far? Any improvement on last season? Worth jumping in on?

The ongoing Archie arrested plotline is absolutely ridiculous, and stupid, imo.

But the Dungeons and Dragons Gryphons & Gargoyles satanic panic plotline is somewhat compelling, so far.

So take that as you will

OP
OP
ZeroX

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
This season is still much better than last.

How is her heel turn a weird twist? She was basically a complete creep from her first scene. It's weird it didn't happen sooner, she's terrible.