• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Think we recently had a thread on this. Seen this in California a month ago.

It's scummy but I don't think it's illegal. Should be.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lucky for the GOP the FEC has essentially been crippled. Ironically, if it leads to Montana being under-counted in the census it might lose EV weight. Then again, that'd have to be a ridiculous amount of under-count.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
I love the first question.

"Do you identify as...
1. Conservative Republican
2. Moderate Republican
3. Independent Republican
4. Liberal Republican
5. Filthy, godless pig fucker
6. Other ____________

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Now nationwide.

Florida:

www.latimes.com

GOP is accused of sending misleading 'census' forms ahead of the actual count

The Republican National Committee is sending misleading mailers labeled "2020 Congressional District Census" to people across the country.

Just as the 2020 U.S. Census count is about to begin, the Republican National Committee is sending people across the country a letter it confusingly labeled as a "2020 Congressional District Census."
Like the census, the piece of mail includes a survey. But unlike the official decennial questionnaire the federal government will soon send out to millions of Americans, this one is asking for donations to the GOP and a loyalty pledge to President Donald Trump. And it's "Commissioned by the Republican Party," according to the form, not the U.S. Department of Commerce.
A Democratic Party spokesman called the GOP mailers "reprehensible" and "intentionally deceptive," according to the Los Angeles Times, which reported on the letters Friday after they arrived in California mailboxes.
The mailer also appeared in Florida this month and the Tampa Bay Times recently obtained one sent to a Tallahassee voter.
"You've been selected to represent voters in Florida's 2nd Congressional District," it says.
An envelope claims the mail is an "official document," according to the Los Angeles Times. "Do not destroy," it says, while telling recipients, "Your participation is urgently needed." In the four-page letter, Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel asks recipients to pledge support to President Donald Trump in 2020.
A Trump campaign spokeswoman wouldn't tell the L.A. newspaper why the form used the word "census" or how many were sent out. She noted the document are marked as from the Republican Party.
The Trump administration has faced repeated accusations of trying to undermine the 2020 Census and suppress the number of responses in populous states. An attempt to put a citizenship question on the form was blocked by the U.S. Supreme Court last year.

Good Lord.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The primary goal here is probably to de-legitimize the census, unless they were dumb enough to expect this to completely fly under the radar.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Now nationwide.

Florida:

www.latimes.com

GOP is accused of sending misleading 'census' forms ahead of the actual count

The Republican National Committee is sending misleading mailers labeled "2020 Congressional District Census" to people across the country.

Just as the 2020 U.S. Census count is about to begin, the Republican National Committee is sending people across the country a letter it confusingly labeled as a "2020 Congressional District Census."
Like the census, the piece of mail includes a survey. But unlike the official decennial questionnaire the federal government will soon send out to millions of Americans, this one is asking for donations to the GOP and a loyalty pledge to President Donald Trump. And it's "Commissioned by the Republican Party," according to the form, not the U.S. Department of Commerce.
A Democratic Party spokesman called the GOP mailers "reprehensible" and "intentionally deceptive," according to the Los Angeles Times, which reported on the letters Friday after they arrived in California mailboxes.
The mailer also appeared in Florida this month and the Tampa Bay Times recently obtained one sent to a Tallahassee voter.
"You've been selected to represent voters in Florida's 2nd Congressional District," it says.
An envelope claims the mail is an "official document," according to the Los Angeles Times. "Do not destroy," it says, while telling recipients, "Your participation is urgently needed." In the four-page letter, Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel asks recipients to pledge support to President Donald Trump in 2020.
A Trump campaign spokeswoman wouldn't tell the L.A. newspaper why the form used the word "census" or how many were sent out. She noted the document are marked as from the Republican Party.
The Trump administration has faced repeated accusations of trying to undermine the 2020 Census and suppress the number of responses in populous states. An attempt to put a citizenship question on the form was blocked by the U.S. Supreme Court last year.

Should make a new thread and link to this one.

This is new news.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Much of Trump's campaigning has been based on this rhetorical survey question nonsense. They must think it's some kind of mindgame, but it's probably been working to gather donations from people who think they aren't being 'heard'. That poor "silent majority" and all that bullshit .

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
We need 100 Kitboga's (the scambait dude on Twitch who pretends to be an older woman/man) to call that number to counter-grift them. They deserve to have their time wasted.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten three of these in Michigan over the last few months.

The first I threw out.

The second i filled out honestly (writing in my own answers when their provided options were lacking), and wrote "Impeach Trump"/"Bernie 2020" on the top and on the return envelope. I didn't enclose any $ obviously (though the cheap fuckers don't even pay for return postage, so it did cost me a stamp)

Then they sent me a 3rd one. That latest one came with a 4-page letter from Ronna McDaniel just dripping with Trump propaganda bullshit.

Last edited:

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
We got one of those forms at our apartment in Bradenton, FL. We threw it away as we know the census is taken in person and not via a mailer.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
This kind of trickery alone would disqualify any candidate from my mind. I refused to reelect a sheriff just because he decided to use his county sheriff envelopes for election mailers. If he had simply sent a post card, or indicated in some way that this ominous looking letter from the county sheriff was simply begging for my vote, things would be different. But he abused the power of his office to trick me into opening and reading his pleas for votes.

Oct 25, 2017
How is this even le

We got one of those forms at our apartment in Bradenton, FL. We threw it away as we know the census is taken in person and not via a mailer.

I don't think that's true. They only do in person for a random selection that's more detailed. I think I did a personal one in 2010 or for one of the AES if they even do that for those.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
nope! they're gonna send a mailer asking you to respond online, via phone, or with a paper questionnaire. They'll send someone to your home to take your answers in person if you don't respond to the initial effort

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
nope! they're gonna send a mailer asking you to respond online, via phone, or with a paper questionnaire. They'll send someone to your home to take your answers in person if you don't respond to the initial effort

Thanks for the clarification. This will be the first census I am doing on my own so I just have the way it is portrayed in the movies/tv shows stuck in my head.