• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Weird looking characters can be fine in a film, people identify with them no problem. This choice, however, is going into the Uncanny Valley and pitching a tent at the deepest point. It's too realistic to be stylised enough to make it palatable, but too stylised to be accepted as realistic. It's right in that sweet spot of "off" that will make it hard for many to fully get past it. It's an odd choice that wasn't really needed to portray that she's unlike anyone else around her, ultimately one that might put people off giving the movie a chance.
That might be unfair, but shit happens sometimes, if people think they won't be able to get past being distracted then it's unlikely they'll give it a chance over something more appealing.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
curb3.gif
There's a chance it'll be HFR 3D...

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People will be used to the eyes 10 mins into watching the film. The people that can't talk about anything else are likely the same folk who can't talk about JJ Abrams films in any capacity outside of lens flares or Snyder films outside of Slo-mo.

They won't get used to the eyes because they'll watch something else.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they can nail the theatrical trailer for Alita, it's got a shot. The Avatar teaser trailer had the same lukewarm response, then they hit the theatrical trailer out of the park.

I'm certainly not hyped since Rodriguez took the reigns, but I'll def take it over Aquaman or Transdongers shit.
I think between wan and momoa being so well loved will help aquaman if they let wan handle it. Hopefully people will avoid dceu association like they did with WW

People might get excited if bumblebee is even half good after bays debacles. I think he's a lot better than bay so it actually has a chance at being fresh. I really don't think we've seen a GOOD transformers movie yet so it could help recover at the box office a little

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People will be used to the eyes 10 mins into watching the film. The people that can't talk about anything else are likely the same folk who can't talk about JJ Abrams films in any capacity outside of lens flares or Snyder films outside of Slo-mo.

Can't get used to it if they aren't in the theatre.

Scoo

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Glad it's been delayed, now redo the cgi, remove the "I'll give you my heart" shit, crank it up to an R rating, and put some cologen in those lips!

Waited 12 years since they first announced this back when Cameron was going to helm it, happy to wait 12 more if that's what it takes to do the franchise justice.

Oct 25, 2017
The 21st seems really crowded. Throwing this up against an animated Spider-Man movie, Aquaman, and a Transformers spin-off seems like a weird choice

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why some are defending the ridiculous manga eyes. This is clearly a bad decision on all accounts and it looks absolutely terrible and downright creepy sometimes. Saying we'll get used to it is also a weird statement because I don't see why I need to get used to something as terrible as her design. Yeah it looks fine in your precious manga panels but come on, some things are better left in the source material. The average person has no fucking idea what manga even is and will think this looks like some horrible human insect hybrid and will be turned off immediately.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Moving into the Aquaman and Transformers slot is a ballsy fucking move for a flick that doesn't have any hype going on and won't have much commercial appeal.

This thing is going to make Ghost in the Shell look like a blockbuster success.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moving into the Aquaman and Transformers slot is a ballsy fucking move for a flick that doesn't have any hype going on and won't have much commercial appeal.

This thing is going to make Ghost in the Shell look like a blockbuster success.

Eh. Transformers won't be that big (Last Knight has a 50%+ drop.

Aquaman has a chance but not guaranteed.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Eh. Transformers won't be that big (Last Knight has a 50%+ drop.

Aquaman has a chance but not guaranteed.
Aquaman is definitely far from a guarantee but if they pull off the marketing and push James Wan's name hard, it'll fare well. Combine that with even a modest earning for Bumblebee and this thing doesn't stand a chance.

Hell, I don't think it would have stood much of a chance in a completely empty week either.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I sure hope seinen manga fatigue sets in so we have more room for other sci fi stories to be told.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
her being the only person with eyes like that in the movie makes it way worse

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The quality of the CG isn't the problem, it's the fact that you immediately want to punch her weird, annoying face as soon as you see it because it is that aesthetically offensive.

It just looks so odd and creepy.

half a moon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was James Cameron was doing this instead if 10 Abadah sequels. Fucker

That said, the eyes have grown on me, but the world looks ugly

Deleted member 37687

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Im pretty sure there keeping the eyes out of stubbornness i refuse to believe they dont think it looks bad it reminds thoses bad moe blob faces in trash anime.