• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
According to employees at Robinhood the founder directly received calls directly from Sequoia Capital and the Whitehouse today to pressure them into halting trading on GME today
I know this got piled on, but think about this for a minute. Do you actually think some random tech employee is in a office with the CEO during a pandemic? Nah, they'd be working remote.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TBH RH and most brokerages are SIPC-insured.

In the event that the broker holding your retirement funds goes out of business, SIPC insurance covers up to a combined $500,000 worth of cash and securities, such as stocks and bonds, per account. That protection covers up to $250,000 in cash in the account.
www.magnifymoney.com

What Is SIPC Insurance and How Does It Work?

Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC) insurance protects your assets and cash held in brokerage accounts. Learn how it works.

It does not matter to you, the consumer, if they go out of business, unless you have $500,000 in RH for some bizarre reason. Uncle Sam was protecting you the entire time. They halted AMC and GME to protect themselves, that's it, any bloviating about the wellbeing of their customers is PR-speak.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people don't have pension funds. It's a scheme. Either they should pressure their companies or the government to not invest in risky assets or find another solution. They take on risk, so be it.

Who?

Their governments would then need to cut the benefits of the retirees. It'a why you see the massive underfunded liabilities in some states. Who wants to be the politician coming out and saying we are going to cut all the defined benefit plans by 25%? They would rather pray they hit their returns.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
WeBull confirms they also had issues with clearing.

This is a pretty good explanation for new people

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
RH just hid the major stocks again. Can't even look them up now. It'll be interesting to see their actions in the morning.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Who cares if you go to a Chinese app, all the major investors and American capitalists already have their pockets deep in them. Social media sells your data to them. China is super capitalist these days, can the red scare finally end?

Last edited:

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Es2iqyrUcAE-UUu
I hate being grammar police but that should be "any more" at the end of the second paragraph, not "anymore".

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Liquidity. They didn't have the cash to float the deposits. It's why they drew. They essentially have to front the cost to settle.

I forgot who asked before but I'm sure AOC, Warren and Cruz all knew this right?

data

Oct 25, 2017

If they didn't have enough money to clear the GME, AMC + other stocks, why were the buys for other stocks able to be cleared? It's the same money that's being withdrawn just for different stock no?

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't have enough money to clear the GME, AMC + other stocks, why were the buys for other stocks able to be cleared? It's the same money that's being withdrawn just for different stock no?

Not an expert, but less volatility and lower volume means there's not nearly as much of a gap that needs to be covered. Volatility is a shitshow for a bunch of reasons which is why trading is halted briefly under rapid swings.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my guess most stocks arent 300+ and arent traded at the valume gme are. most people trading stocks in that range are doing it via brokrage firm.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Not an expert, but less volatility and lower volume means there's not nearly as much of a gap that needs to be covered. Volatility is a shitshow for a bunch of reasons which is why trading is halted briefly under rapid swings.
my guess most stocks arent 300+ and arent traded at the valume gme are. most people trading stocks in that range are doing it via brokrage firm.
Got it. I'm not an expert so that's why I'm asking since I don't understand these things.

GME is 300+ (now aftermarket), but what about AMC and NOK that are ~$10 - $20 range. That's what I'm also wondering about because they closed those off too. It's still the same funds in the end of the day being used by WeBull + Robinhood to clear trades.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017

This reeks of coming up with an excuse after the fact. It's a great explanation...and also easily explained at the beginning of the day when you first initiated the limitations. Why does it take weibell til lunch time and Robinhood 8 hours to start using this excuse?

Not only that...they ran with the excuse of "protecting traders" as the first excuse. Seems like they realised that wasn't gonna fly.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

This reeks of coming up with an excuse after the fact. It's a great explanation...and also easily explained at the beginning of the day when you first initiated the limitations. Why does it take weibell til lunch time and Robinhood 8 hours to start using this excuse?
A fair point. Plus didn't they stop trading the stocks at different times? Also, was it ever confirmed that robinhood closed some positions for people or was that just vague online images claiming such?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017

Its a very convenient excuse. If it was that simple, they would have come right out from the start. Why would they put themselves through the blender of hate from teh retail investors?

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Its a very convenient excuse. If it was that simple, they would have come right out from the start. Why would they put themselves through the blender of hate from teh retail investors?
Not saying you are wrong but today was unprecedented and it could be WeBull couldn't just throw their partner under the bus.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
What this does is put the brakes on shorting stock. It's been a legit strategy since forever, but now that shorted stock is going to get targeted by this meme nonsense, nobody will want to risk shorting stock again.

Fair argument that shorting stock is sometimes considered stock manipulation, but it's been an acceptable investment strategy for a 100 years.
Meme stock is BLATANT stock manipulation. There is no doubt about that. It wouldn't surprise me if the SEC does something about stopping blatant meme stock manipulation.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017

Not only that...they ran with the excuse of "protecting traders" as the first excuse. Seems like they realised that wasn't gonna fly.

yah why not come out and say this on jump. Makes no sense.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What this does is put the brakes on shorting stock. It's been a legit strategy since forever, but now that shorted stock is going to get targeted by this meme nonsense, nobody will want to risk shorting stock again.

Fair argument that shorting stock is sometimes considered stock manipulation, but it's been an acceptable investment strategy for a 100 years.
Meme stock is BLATANT stock manipulation. There is no doubt about that. It wouldn't surprise me if the SEC does something about stopping blatant meme stock manipulation.
not sure they can. its one thing if a bank does it, but a highly decentralized group from around the world on reddit is very different. prity sure the sec has come out and said no rules were broken.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
not sure they can. its one thing if a bank does it, but a highly decentralized group from around the world on reddit is very different. prity sure the sec has come out and said no rules were broken.
No rules were broken, but they can change the rules.
This is obviously a big deal. Meme stocks have thrown a monkey wrench into the investment market. Who knows what will happen and how this all plays out.

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
Sent on Robinhood Contact us a message, probably they don't care but felt the need to so 😑.

Why are you stopping us from buying Gamestop? Isn't your platform supposed to enable everyone to trade freely? Isn't that how you built your whole success and wealth on? This is the first platform I've ever used to learn how to trade and do it and it has been great so far. This however is a sad misstep showing maybe we were wrong in assuming you have the best interests of most of your clients at heart, clients that made your fortune. I hope our opinion matters to you and we weren't misled in the very premise of this platform.

Thank you

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
This is obviously a big deal. Meme stocks have thrown a monkey wrench into the investment market. Who knows what will happen and how this all plays out.

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about rules changing after this. Something is definitely gonna happen. If not legislation, then at the very least brokers and retail trading apps will use a lot more red tape in their TOS and EULAs that will let them stamp out shit like this when it happens. Also apps like Robinhood might their barriers of entry a lot more stringent.

Edit: these are all just more of my tinfoil hat thoughts btw. I hope I'm wrong lol

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Fuck the stock market. Neoliberal's strategy from the beginning was to transition the public's retirement savings from safer, more conservative investments of pensions to the stock/equity-based 401ks to fund the rich's low-to-no-risk gambling habit (i.e., socialize the risk, privatize the profit), thereby massively inflating the value of these secondary market assets by syphoning off of the real, production-based economy.

What should happen is that 401ks are made illegal, liquidated, and that money transferred back into pension funds. Then the rich can go fuck off in a fire, watching their equity assets' value plummet back to earth.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Why? What do you hope to get out of it? Do you think that rather than being worth 100x what it was six months ago it should and will be worth more? What is your strategy for selling it at a profit?

The idea is that tomorrow is the last day Melvin has until they have to buy stocks. So price will increase a craptop and you can just sell high.

Oct 25, 2017
The idea is that tomorrow is the last day Melvin has until they have to buy stocks. So price will increase a craptop and you can just sell high.
Sell high to who, though? You need to be wise enough to be the person that sells to the one that is forced to buy, but lots of people will be trying to sell at that time. The price will fall precipitously after the waves of forced purchases over the short squeeze.

What do you think the absolute peak sell price for GME will be through all of this? You buy at 400... and what is the absolute peak, and what are the odds of the person actually selling at that peak? To me, it looks like there's much higher likelihood of basically losing most or all of that $400.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Good. Fuck the stock market.

What should happen is that 401ks are made illegal, liquidated, and that money transferred back into pension funds. Then the rich can go fuck off in a fire, watching their equity assets' value plummet back to earth.

Nah dawg, I'm thinking if they change rules, they'll be changed for us, not them.

Once again, I hope I'm wrong, but that's how my gut feels rn.