stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Roblox Corp said on Wednesday it aims to go public through a direct listing, instead of an initial public offering (IPO) as originally planned, and has raised new funding in a deal that values the U.S. gaming platform at nearly $30 billion.

In a statement, Roblox said it had raised around $520 million in a new Series H private fundraising round led by Altimeter Capital and Dragoneer Investment Group.

The funding round valued Roblox at $29.5 billion, more than seven times the $4 billion the company was valued at in its Series G round 11 months ago.

www.reuters.com

Gaming site Roblox valued at $30 billion, plans direct listing

Roblox Corp said on Wednesday it aims to go public through a direct listing, instead of an initial public offering (IPO) as originally planned, and has raised new funding in a deal that values the U.S. gaming platform at nearly $30 billion.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
😂 $30billlion? Ok, sure.
Used to play during my early teens starting in 07-08. It's insane with kids and literally everything costs robux which you can only get through buying the currency directly or paying for a subscription. Can't customize your avatar or get perks in games unless you throw out $$$.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That seems like an unbelievably high valuation given where Epic and Take Two are right now.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I assure you this is not an absurdly high valuation. My daughters 9 and 5 are all over it and it's all their friends talk about regarding games. Unless they're breaking to play Animal Crossing, Splatoon, or Minecraft.

There are toy sets at stores, millions of different types of games. It's pretty ridiculous.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
On the financial side, seems like a direct listing is a bad idea. Any other tech stock to IPO this year has seen their value basically doubled before hitting the public market. Unity IPO'd at $52 after raising it from its initial plans at~$33 once it saw demand and was at $75 before it even started publicly trading.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people laughed at Microsoft for buying Mojang(Minecraft) for 2.5 billion.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I read this as Redbox at first and was wondering how.

I don't know shit about Roblox other than that it's super popular and this sounds insane.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this game still not available for PlayStation or Nintendo platforms, haunts me.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy. I had never even heard of this game until the reports of them using Tommy Tallarico's sound effect from Messiah. Haven't really ever heard of it outside that context since.

suffah

Oct 29, 2017
Crazy. I had never even heard of this game until the reports of them using Tommy Tallarico's sound effect from Messiah. Haven't really ever heard of it outside that context since.

You either don't have kids or don't hang around them. It's all my niece/nephew/co-worker's kids play all day. The game looks pretty janky but these VCs have sunk a significant amount of cash into it by now.

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think their value is?

More importantly do you think Minecraft was worth more than when MS brought them at the time knowing what we are seeing now with Minecraft's success?
A valuation of a game that is more than 30 times what it will make in a year (~$588m through 3 quarters) during covid. Yeah I'm going with over-valuation.

Q3 '20242.19
Q2 '20189.7
Q1 '20156.78

www.statista.com

Global Roblox Corporation quarterly revenue 2024 | Statista

In the first quarter of 2024, gaming company Roblox Corporation generated total revenues of over 801.3 million U.S.

I thought the minecraft purchase was a smart play but that was for far less 8 years ago. I also think minecraft has longer legs.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft failing to market the fact that they have console exclusively of Roblox is the mother and father of missed opportunities.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter plays this ALLLLL the time, she plays one of the popular shooter games they have on it, then I tell her you know you could play call of duty or any other shooter but noooope, she likes that ugly one more.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft failing to market the fact that they have console exclusively of Roblox is the mother and father of missed opportunities.
Roblox isn't something you want to actively market because of the IP infringement issues.
But even aside from that it had an Xbox one S bundle for a while and it's still one of the top most played games. So I'm sure the marketing is there aside from commercials and era talking about it

kids that play roblox know it's on Xbox, phones and PC. That's all you need

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Roblox isn't something you want to actively market because of the IP infringement issues.

It's NUTS the kind of shit I see my kid playing. Blatant Among Us ripoffs, use of copyrighted characters all over the place.

That said, I don't know another game that my kids play that they can open up and editor and create their own game from. I liken it to when I'd go get a basic book from the library and start writing my own C64 shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
How many players does this have? I just know it exists..

A quick Google search says 150 million monthly users.

I still haven't let my 6 year old play this yet, nor am I going to anytime soon, but he still talks about it constantly, it's fucking huge.

We have every console on Earth, thousands of games, but he wants to play Roblox. Shit is crazy to me.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Honestly if Sony were to rework Dreams slightly to allow creators to profit from their creations, make Dreams free and on PC, and have common avatars between all games with a store for items, it could be a decent competitor for Roblox.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

I still haven't let my 6 year old play this yet, nor am I going to anytime soon, but he still talks about it constantly, it's fucking huge.

We have every console on Earth, thousands of games, but he wants to play Roblox. Shit is crazy to me.
It's probably because all his friends play it. Not sure why you won't let him play. There is some decent games on there and both my son and daughter love it. We let them play with their friends on weekends.

Make your own account and play with them too.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see more posters show their ignorance on this one. Roblox is huge and has been for years.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

Same here. Have a four-year-old that wants to play it. It's crazy how popular is is among even small kids.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

This is a mistake. Kids love to play pretend and Roblox is clearly an extension of that. Better to use pixels than cardboard boxes and action figures.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It's probably because all his friends play it. Not sure why you won't let him play. There is some decent games on there and both my son and daughter love it. We let them play with their friends on weekends.

Make your own account and play with them too.

It's just not something my wife and I are comfortable with him playing yet at 6 years old, once I do more research on parental controls etc. we may let him, but I am not keen on letting him play random user generated content. He actually got obsessed with it watching his older cousins play it a few times at their house, none of his actual friends play either, hell most of his friends don't play games at all oddly enough.