• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Bloody hell, it's expensive to find & get a new band kit. :(

How does the PDP hardware compare?
Do the RB4 Pro cymbals work with older drum kits?
I've been happy with my PDP drum kit. The sweet spot can be unforgiving sometime. Hitting the outside parts of the pads sometimes won't register a hit, which can kind of suck for songs with lots of moving between toms quickly. It isn't usually much of an issue for me and I'm pretty used to hitting the pads in the middle most of the time. I can hit rolls easily and don't get crosstalk or double hits.

I'm using the Mad Catz cymbal pack. Not sure if they work on the RB3 drumsets or not though.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Great to finally have New Fang, Waking the Demon and Warriors of Time back on PS4 in EU!

If anyone has trouble with Waking the Demon on guitar like I did, try alt strumming everything. Felt weird to play it like that but it's the only way I managed to not break combo every couple of seconds.

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bloody hell, it's expensive to find & get a new band kit. :(

How does the PDP hardware compare?
Do the RB4 Pro cymbals work with older drum kits?
I don't personally own any of the PDP gear, but these are the impressions that I have read over the last year or so.

The guitar (Jaguar) is fine. Some people say the tilt function is a bit finicky, and some prefer the original RB4 guitar (Stratocaster) or any other guitar, but overall it is servicable. The drums are much more hit or miss. Some people have issues with cross-talk (hitting one pad triggers an adjacent pad as well) or double hits, others don't. The only problem I've seen with the Mad Catz RB4 set (since the firmware updates stopped) is the roll limit, where it has an issue detecting super fast rolls, but that isn't an issue really unless you're chasing high scores and trying to 100% difficult songs.

The RB4 Pro Cymbals only work on the RB4 sets. You can't use them on older drums. However, you can use the RB2 and RB3 cymbals on the MC RB4 sets without issue.

Deleted member 20799

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't personally own any of the PDP gear, but these are the impressions that I have read over the last year or so.

The guitar (Jaguar) is fine. Some people say the tilt function is a bit finicky, and some prefer the original RB4 guitar (Stratocaster) or any other guitar, but overall it is servicable. The drums are much more hit or miss. Some people have issues with cross-talk (hitting one pad triggers an adjacent pad as well) or double hits, others don't. The only problem I've seen with the Mad Catz RB4 set (since the firmware updates stopped) is the roll limit, where it has an issue detecting super fast rolls, but that isn't an issue really unless you're chasing high scores and trying to 100% difficult songs.

The RB4 Pro Cymbals only work on the RB4 sets. You can't use them on older drums. However, you can use the RB2 and RB3 cymbals on the MC RB4 sets without issue.
Cheers. Thanks. :)

Nov 1, 2017
Only had 34 songs eligible for the challenge this week, Johnny Cash and CCR will have to carry me to the green this time.

Should have a much easier time going forward now that metal and country are out of the way.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Only had 34 songs eligible for the challenge this week, Johnny Cash and CCR will have to carry me to the green this time.

Should have a much easier time going forward now that metal and country are out of the way.

Ooooh, CCR is on the list - time to finally buy some of their stuff. I've been playing Lynyrd Skynyrd songs.

Oct 25, 2017
1Classic25DLCTw.png

Yes.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Quick question: the ps3 midi adapter for the drums works in the ps4 version? And the best compatible drums to start would be the Alesis Nitro kit?

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect these songs, but damn if I'm not excited for them. I'd never given BTO a proper listen, it turns out that I already known a few tracks. Sold.

Plus another song down on both the GH80s setlist and, more importantly, the GH5 setlist. Play With Me and 21st Century Schizoid Man when?

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Down for both

What's funny is that I thought Lonely is the Night was already DLC up until last week. I was browsing through the store and got to Billy Squier and thought it was odd that Lonely is the Night wasn't there. Must have been my memories of GH5.

Nov 1, 2017
Great set of songs, both have been sorely missing for some time. Funny it took so long for BTO after one of the other games had that achievement named after them years and years ago. My only complaint is I wish it was a 3 song week with another classic.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They must be talking to Randy Bachman again lately. Bodes well for No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature eventually getting licensed

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Here's this week's stem confirmations, impressions and first playthrough scores for this week's DLC:

"Takin' Care Of Business" - Bachman-Turner Overdrive -
[Guitar: Tier 4 | Drums: Tier 2 | Vocals: Tier 2 | Bass: Tier 2]
Expert Guitar: 204,888 | 100% Notes Hit (955/955) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 156,295 | 100% Notes Hit (736/736) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"Lonely Is The Night" - Billy Squier - [Guitar: Tier 4 | Drums: Tier 3 |Vocals: Tier 4 | Bass: Tier 4]
Expert Guitar: 194,071 | 100% Notes Hit (776/776) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 126,674 | 100% Notes Hit (573/573) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: "Takin' Care Of Business" sadly doesn't have stems so that's a bit of a shame but overall it's not that bad a DIY job, the drums bass and guitar drop in volume slightly but the vocals don't degrade in quality at all. "Lonely Is The Night" on the other hand has 100% legit master tracks. No muffling or degradation of any other instrument when missing notes on your own instrument so that's a safe purchase for you guys obsessed with stems! So 1 out of 2 this week. Oh well!

DLC Impressions: "Takin' Care of Business" is a blast on guitar. The song mainly consists of chord and single note strumming at a brisk pace but there's a hell of a lot of variation inbetween, including two kick-ass solos with a lot of hammer-on snaking back and forth up the guitar neck and some unorthodox three note chord strumming with hammer-ons between each transition. A great buy for guitarists. Bass is pretty solid for a tier 2 chart, it mainly consists of steadily strummed single notes with a lot of movement back and forth across the fretboard with the occasional sustained note to mix things up mid combo. Overall I'd say it was well worth a purchase and if you can look past the lack of stems both guitarists and bassists will find a lot to like with this song!

"Lonely Is The Night" is great on guitar. It mainly consists of a bunch of really interesting steadily strummed bursts of single note and two note chord strumming, the intro has this rad intro that consists of a bunch of alt-strummed hammer-ons and zig-zagging back and forth between single note lane changes, a pretty nice solo with a fair bit of fast hammer-on snaking toward the end and a cool as fuck outro that extends the main riff and speeds it up a little, it's a good end to an overall well-balanced song on guitar. Bass is pretty sweet on bass, which I didn't expect to be honest. It starts off with some space out single note and sustain playing but throughout the course of the track there's a nice mix of hammer-on patterns to hit that zig-zag, ascend and descend across the fretboard. The outro kicks ass as well with a fast alt-strummed riff that starts on the orange fret and ascends back up the fretboard that's really fun to play. Well worth a purchase in my opinion. Jump on it!

Best Guitar: "Takin' Care Of Business"
Best Bass: "Lonely Is The Night"

Last edited:

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, they couldn't edit out the quiet 'fuck it' in Takin Care of Business so it's charted as 'funky' in the lyrics.

Training -> GTR SOLO 1 if you want to hear it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Stem Confirmations: "Takin' Care Of Business" sadly doesn't have stems so that's a bit of a shame but overall it's not that bad a DIY job, the drums bass and guitar drop in volume slightly but the vocals don't degrade in quality at all. "Lonely Is The Night" on the other hand has 100% legit master tracks. No muffling or degradation of any other instrument when missing notes on your own instrument so that's a safe purchase for you guys obsessed with stems! So 1 out of 2 this week. Oh well!

Thanks! Lonely Is The Night is the one I wanted, so I'm picking it up.

Too bad Office Depot commercials ruined the other song for me regardless of stems.

Oct 28, 2017
I got in to Rock Band/Guitar Hero back in the late PS2/early Xbox 360 days. My kids were all still too little to play anything. They're at the perfect age to get into some full band mayhem now, but sadly I have lost every accessory and controller over the years, or possibly even sold or gave it all away. I can't find any of this shit in any closet.

So I've spent the last half hour seeing how I can acquire a full set of gear - drums, guitar, mic and ummmmmmmm... $499 US Dollars for a full set of Rock Band 4 or Rock Band Rivals????? I'm guessing its all out of print/out of stock. Is there a cheaper way to acquire all of this stuff again, or will either Guitar Hero or Rock Band be making full set bundles again?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So I've spent the last half hour seeing how I can acquire a full set of gear - drums, guitar, mic and ummmmmmmm... $499 US Dollars for a full set of Rock Band 4 or Rock Band Rivals????? I'm guessing its all out of print/out of stock. Is there a cheaper way to acquire all of this stuff again, or will either Guitar Hero or Rock Band be making full set bundles again?

Sadly, there are no bundles or instruments planned to come out again. The short-lived revival of the rhythm game genre has come and gone so the time to snap up new hardware affordably and easily has come and gone. Only other cheaper way I could think of grabbing a full band set is to get your mitts on the RB4 game with wireless adapter bundle and then buy wireless Guitar Hero controllers from GH3 up to GH5, or older RB2 controllers, the Rock Band 4 PDP drums or GH: World Tour Drums, and some cheap wired microphones for harmonies.

All I gotta say is, good luck! Here's a general compatibility list to help you out: http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/ar...compatibility-chart-detailed-144042955079.jpg

Last edited:

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
As a Simpsons fan I'll have to pick up "Takin' Care of Business" so I can get to the workin' overtime part.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I got in to Rock Band/Guitar Hero back in the late PS2/early Xbox 360 days. My kids were all still too little to play anything. They're at the perfect age to get into some full band mayhem now, but sadly I have lost every accessory and controller over the years, or possibly even sold or gave it all away. I can't find any of this shit in any closet.

So, this might not be an option you would consider, but I have two drums sets, two guitars (Black/Red Mad Catz for both G/D), a couple of mics, and copies of both RB4/RB Rivals all for PS4. $80 bucks for everything plus whatever the shipping costs. All in good condition. I can post pics if you are interested.

Oct 28, 2017
So, this might not be an option you would consider, but I have two drums sets, two guitars (Black/Red Mad Catz for both G/D), a couple of mics, and copies of both RB4/RB Rivals all for PS4. $80 bucks for everything plus whatever the shipping costs. All in good condition. I can post pics if you are interested.

I'd be all over it except one problem, I have an Xbox One, not a PS4 :(

Also, thanks above for the compatibility chart. I guess I'm going to have to hunt this stuff down piece by piece.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hunch we'll have to wait for a potential future expansion for another hardware run. Although Rivals seems to be doing well and they probably don't want to ruin it's momentum, but man, it's gonna get harder if people don't have instruments to play.

Last edited:

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017

I'm assuming you're not from Germany, but maybe try:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01ISTBWZG/?tag=e10004583-21
99 EUR

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, B-Siders, we are looking at an actual chance to promote to Diamond (instead of the usual skip). This would let us pick and choose which week to attempt Bloodstone for.

We're decent on EXP now, but we definitely need more for insurance purposes. Prioritize first plays of songs, on any instrument you can get the most stars on. At least 10 plays should be pretty good of regular length songs at this point from each person. More if you can do it, but there are seriously very small EXP gaps between us and the crews above us.

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good week.

Maybe this week's challenge will be Alternative? Or are Coldplay and Portugal. The Man listed as Pop-Rock?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Pretty shit Coldplay pick to be honest. When are we going to get the vastly superior "Birds" that was in RB:VR? Way better Portugal. The Man pick though with "Live In The Moment" it's more like the traditionally downbeat songs that he was originally known for. Definitely gonna pick that one up.

Here's the DLC trailer:

Last edited:

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there will at one point be a time in RB history where I won't be disappointed with the Coldplay picks. But that time is not now.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Urgh...

At least the Portugal. The Man song is okay, but that Coldplay song, yuck. Was this the song that's in VR, by the way? Or is there another Coldplay song coming?

EDIT: Oh shit, that was Birds, so we probably have another Coldplay week to look forward to.

Nov 1, 2017
"Birds" is so good but this song is so boring, and I have to hear it at work every day but eh, still picking it up. Portugal is a maybe, never heard anything from them other than Feel It Still.

"Talk" "Shiver" "In My Place" "Birds" "Speed of Sound" "Paradise" "Charlie Brown" all would've been better imo, even as someone who likes Coldplay, "Sky Full of Stars" is probably one of their worst singles.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all forgetting about "God Put a Smile your Face"

Guitar Hero got the Coldplay picks right.

Last edited: