• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's time for another Counting Crows song. They should have gotten a pack.

Also some of these incessantly played 90s radio hits (not being sarcastic. I want these):
Counting Blue Cars - Dishwalla
One Headlight - The Wallflowers
The Way - Fastball

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
How much good stuff is in RBN goddamn

I'm browsing the store right now

I'm almost shaking with anger that this is going down. Remember when xbox was the no-brainer platform to play Rock Band on for this feature alone?

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

I'm almost shaking with anger that this is going down. Remember when xbox was the no-brainer platform to play Rock Band on for this feature alone?

the amount of absolutely great music that is seemingly lost forever in the network is a fucking shame.

It had such a high ratio of amazing songs

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I'm upset they couldn't get more of it over to the PS3 before they stopped. We got a lot but there is still a ton of songs only available on 360. It sucks that a decision I made 10 years ago ended up screwing me out of a whole heap of songs (and easy customs, but that's a different matter).

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So, this week's 90's and 00's Alternative singles have just came out. So here's stem confirmations, impressions and first playthrough scores for both songs!

"Slide" – Goo Goo Dolls - [Guitar: Tier 3 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 3 | Bass: Tier 3 ]
Expert Guitar: 271,924 | 100% Notes Hit (929/929) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 147,586 | 100% Notes Hit (749/749) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"Unwell" – Matchbox Twenty - [Guitar: Tier 3 | Drums: Tier 1 | Vocals: Tier 4 | Bass: Tier 0 ]
Expert Guitar: 204,168 | 100% Notes Hit (655/655) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 66,889 | 100% Notes Hit (256/256) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: "Slide" sadly doesn't have a legitimate set of master tracks. Bass, Drums, and Guitar all muffle when missing notes on your own instrument. The vocals stay sharp and clear though, which is mostly to be expected for a DIY job it's a shame, but at least it's not this week's spotlight pass song! "Unwell" on the other is 100% legit. No muffling of any tracks at all when missing notes so hey, at least the spotlight song is a winner this week!

DLC Impressions: "Unwell" is really fucking fun on guitar which I wasn't expecting for what seemed likea mostly relaxed song. It's starts off with this really fun banjo riff that has you sliding back and forth between really quick chord changes with a few hammer-on chords to ease things up a little. Then there's a nice intermission with plenty of held three note chords and steady lane strumming up and down the guitar neck with predictable chord patterns. There's a nice mix of hammer-on and chord switch-ups during the solo. Overall, really good for a tier 3 chart! Bass is fairly dull, especially the first half. It's mainly just relaxed single note sustains over and over. It does vary things up slightly in the second half with some 3-4 note hammer-on strings and even a couple of chords but yeah, it's tier 0 for a reason. Fairly unremarkable.

"Slide" is probably going to be a bit of a divisive song on guitar. It's a pretty alt-strum heavy song with a shitload of three note chord switches and single note flourishes. A good portion of the song consists of really awkward single note and two note chord alt-strummed switches at the end of each verse though. I like the majority of the song but something about these phases don't gel together too well for me. Fun for the most part I guess though. Bass is an absolute blast though. It's a bouncy chart with a lot of small hammer-on flourishes and long stretches of really fun single note alt-strumming that's always changing up it's pace and tempo. A start contrast to the guitar chart and a genuine surprise. Worth a buy for bassists without a doubt!

Best Guitar: "Unwell"
Best Bass: "Slide"

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shame about Slide, but I expected it at least. Still picking it up.

Oct 25, 2017
2_22_DLC_Twitter_1.png

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, official Seether DLC after 11 years.

Maybe they'll bring some of those RBN songs over as well.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, I actually recognise that Gavin Degraw song. Definitely getting that. Really not too bothered about the Seether song, though. Would have passed if it wasn't part of the season pass.

Speaking of which, this is the last week, right? Kind of disappointing overall, even with the extra two songs compared to others. Hopefully the next one will be a bit better overall.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yo! "I Don't Wanna Be" is pretty good, and a fairly old track now that I come to think of it. Getting that for sure. Pretty rubbish Seether pick though, would rather want something like "Fine Again"

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah definitely my least favorite pass so far. Two songs a week is just so limiting too.
Regardless, looking forward to hearing what the next season's theme is.

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
From the HMX forums

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/comment/5401943/#Comment_5401943

The following are being delisted by March 2nd:

Toto - "Rosanna"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Give It Away"

"Give It Away" is also featured as DLC in Rock Band VR and will be coming down at the same time as the console Rock Band versions. Console players can continue to redownload the content past this date, this is only a deadline for sale.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
After Sony Europe pulled a lot of random RBN as soon as the delisting announcement came out and pulled everything two weeks before the end of the month, you better believe I jumped on Rosanna straight away. Already had Give It Away from Blitz.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Right, here's this week's impressions, stem confirmations and first playthrough scores for the latest DLC that just came out!

"Broken" – Seether ft. Amy Lee - [Guitar: Tier 2 | Drums: Tier 2 | Vocals: Tier 4 | Bass: Tier 1]
Expert Guitar: 218,511 | 100% Notes Hit (804/804) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 78,489 | 100% Notes Hit (271/271) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"I Don't Want To Be" – Gavin DeGraw - [Guitar: Tier 2 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 5 | Bass: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 148,866 | 100% Notes Hit (622/622) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 130,886 | 100% Notes Hit (540/540) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: Holy fucking shit, "Broken" has some weird mixing issues! Sure the instruments lower down in volume and clarity a little but the vocals, especially Amy's vocals suddenly sound like they're badly distorted and underwater, don't know what the hell is going on there, but it's the first song in quite a while were the vocals really shit the bed in quality on a stemless track. "I Don't Want To Be" is stemless as well, vocals are pretty clear, but the drum track seems to vary in clarity and quality throughout the song when missing notes on anything else, the bass and guitar gets garbled as expected. So yeah, no stems this week, but some pretty bizarre mixing issues across the board!

DLC Impressions: "Broken" is actually really fucking good on guitar for a tier 2 guitar track. It's a fantastic mix of constant single note strumming back and forth across the fretboard with some 2 note chords thrown in for some variety followed by a fun string of 3-note chord strumming jumping up and down with some single notes in between. There's even a nice little solo in the middle to help break up the pattern a little. Would totally recommend this song if you're looking for a laid back, but really fun guitar chart! Bass is pretty dull to be honest, mainly just steadily strummed single note sustains and some chord strumming every once in a blue moon, so yeah, fantastic guitar, but skip this if you're a dedicated bassist.

"I Don't Want To Be" is pretty solid on guitar, the whole song consists of zig-zagging single note changes between yellow and blue frets before moving onto constant chord lane changes with single note strumming in between, there's even a bit of rapid chord gallop alt-strumming towards the end as well. Overall, not bad for a tier 2 chart! Bass is rated a bit higher at tier 3 and it's actually pretty good. It's mostly briskly strummed single notes and sustains but the song switches thing up enough throughout to stay engaging, there's even some speedy alt-strumming and gallops towards the end as well. Overall, it's a good pick and a nice song. Worth a buy.

Best Guitar:
"Broken"
Best Bass: "I Don't Want To Be"

Last edited:

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
This update is fucking amazing. This is what I've been waiting for since day 1 and HMX delivers. I'm definitely going to be playing rock band more often now that I can jam with other people! It's the best and it works so great!

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So for those that are curious, here's how this season's pass shakes out as far as stems:

Skid Row - "18 and Life" - DIY
Blue Swede - "Hooked on a Feeling" - DIY
Depeche Mode - "Enjoy the Silence" - Full stems
Skid Row - "I Remember You" - DIY
Shania Twain - "That Don't Impress Me Much" - DIY
Billy Squier - "Lonely is the Night" - Full stems
Coldplay - "A Sky Full of Stars" - Partial stems (guitar and keys are mixed at some points)
Nine Days - "Absolutely(Story of a Girl) - Full stems
Matchbox Twenty - "Unwell" - Full stems
Seether ft. Amy Lee - "Broken" - DIY

So the count for this pack is:

DIY tracks: 5
Partial stem tracks: 1
Full stem tracks: 4

Oct 25, 2017
This update is fucking amazing. This is what I've been waiting for since day 1 and HMX delivers. I'm definitely going to be playing rock band more often now that I can jam with other people! It's the best and it works so great!
It really is. Only played a couple sessions, but it has exceeded my expectations for sure. Everything just works so well. Seeing how many songs are in common, only showing what songs are available to play, being able to join in mid song, being able to send quick preset messages and everything working quickly has made this easily the best version of Rock Band online multiplayer. It was usually rare for me to get into a full band in the past, but it was no problem when I tried last night. When someone would drop it wouldn't take long for another person to join right in. Great update.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
I've been sitting on these Gold cards for months waiting for a good reason to activate them. The time has come.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
Boo on no official Gavin stems. :(

I played Twilight of the Thunder God last night with my girl, who's just starting drums, and me, on expert guitar- it just sounded underwater the entire song. I finally get why stemless is bad for bands/new players.

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Boo on no official Gavin stems. :(

I played Twilight of the Thunder God last night with my girl, who's just starting drums, and me, on expert guitar- it just sounded underwater the entire song. I finally get why stemless is bad for bands/new players.
Ya. I don't mind stemless songs for the most part, but when they're on a devil-tier songs it just makes me not want to play them. I loved Twilight of the Thunder God in GH5, but it sounds like ass in RB4 because I can't keep that strumming up for the whole song.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
What's even the point of stemless if we know the stems exist? Same with If You Could Only See.

My guess is a combination of studio reluctance to lend them out anymore thinking they don't need to and/or fearing them being ripped, and cost/resource issues with Harmonix being much smaller. Harmonix probably lost a good bit of leverage on the issue since RB3.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
Ya. I don't mind stemless songs for the most part, but when they're on a devil-tier songs it just makes me not want to play them. I loved Twilight of the Thunder God in GH5, but it sounds like ass in RB4 because I can't keep that strumming up for the whole song.

Yeah, I can 99% Twilight on drums so I really rarely notice it, but I'm not as great a guitarist and she's so new to drumming that I'd honestly like to not do that one again in band play.

What's even the point of stemless if we know the stems exist? Same with If You Could Only See.

I'd suspect either licensing issues, damaged masters, cheaper price for stemless (no one but Harmonix could confirm that), new labels, no desire to license masters but desire to license the stemless version.
It sucks but it's the state of things.

I'll still be picking up stemless tracks, but I'm gonna try to avoid them in band play, unless it's online with people who play well. That might sound elitist, but I do care a lot about audio quality and the game suffers if everyone's missing.

Deleted member 20799

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hm... Wonder if the improvements to the animations are noticeable. I pay a bit less attention now since there's no performance mode. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯