• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Saw the new Sscion album is getting buzz in Noisey. Some cool features like with Roisín Murphy, Sky Ferreira and Ariel Pink. That reminds me, where is Sky's new album? Seems we've been getting teases for Masochism for like 3 years now.

Huh, glad you posted this, because I used to be a big Ssion fan but assumed he gave up music after this long of a break. Need to give this new one a listen!

I figure Sky will release out of nowhere, she strikes me as the impulsive type. If it's going to be on par with My Time, then she's welcome to work on the album as long as she wants to.

kreepmode

Oct 25, 2017
Some great music these last couple weeks. New Beach House album is in constant rotation, and now I'm finally listening to the new Parquet Courts and its awesome. Oh, there's also new Courtney Barnett out today, but I haven't checked that out yet.

For some reason I can't get into the new Arctic Monkeys album.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
god I hate when bands don't play their best songs live. I get it, you're tired of their popularity but we're not buying your tickets to hear nothing but obscure tracks.

Oh and I saw MGMT live the other day, they were amazing which makes no sense because they were always on gafs "worst concerts you've attended threads"

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
So many good releases today! New Ryley Walker is SO good. I love everything he's done. I'm chilling outside in the rain at work waiting for someone while listening to it and it's the perfect rainy weather jam.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
New Parquet Courts absolutely rips! I also love the new Ray LaMontagne album. I love that he's gone in that psychedelic Pink Floyd direction. Can't wait to see him live this summer

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Malkmus, Parquet Courts and Barnett for me tonight. Doubt I'll ever have any of my top 3 bands releasing material on the same day like this.

Not gonna get to listen until later tonight. Probably pick up one at the record store after work... not sure which to go with though.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
god I hate when bands don't play their best songs live. I get it, you're tired of their popularity but we're not buying your tickets to hear nothing but obscure tracks.

Oh and I saw MGMT live the other day, they were amazing which makes no sense because they were always on gafs "worst concerts you've attended threads"

Hard disagree. I can see being angry if you get tickets to a nostalgia act and they only play deep cuts maybe, but if I'm seeing a respected indie band with 3+ albums, I'm not gonna be mad when they don't play their only crossover hit. I don't need Radiohead to play Creep, Grizzly Bear to play Two Weeks, etc etc. Give me the good songs.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Primavera soon. Aside from the big(ger) names, any lesser known artists with a good live rep I should check out? Here's the lineup for reference

oDRu9lT.png

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Their proofreader might want to double check that Thursday line-up. Johannsson performing seems, uh, unlikely.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Primavera soon. Aside from the big(ger) names, any lesser known artists with a good live rep I should check out? Here's the lineup for reference

oDRu9lT.png

Try to catch both Idles and Public Service Broadcasting if you can. Idles are shouty punk, PSB are all over the place stylistically, but are kind of an electro/dance/rock hybrid that use voice samples from old documentaries in place of traditional singing.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Try to catch both Idles and Public Service Broadcasting if you can. Idles are shouty punk, PSB are all over the place stylistically, but are kind of an electro/dance/rock hybrid that use voice samples from old documentaries in place of traditional singing.

Public Service Broadcasting sounds cool but it clashes with Beach House. Idles clashes with Panda Bear and Tyler, but Idles sounds like a pretty energetic live act so I might check that instead. Thanks. Listening to Idles right now, reminds me of McLusky, loving it.

btw that's an old poster, made before Johannsson died, the lineup was released in january iirc

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Hi guys,

so after playing a lot of Life is Strange - Before the Storm I fell in love with the soundtrack from Daughter and I think I got kind of interested in this kind of music but I don't really have much experience with it so I thought I could get some input here and found this thread.
So these are some of the songs that I really like so far

Now, Now - Thread

Daughter - No care

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads will roll (I really like the It's Blitz album)
White Lies - Bigger than Us

I think I especially like songs with a little faster rhythms but I'm also down with some slower and melancholic stuff.
Maybe you guys have some recommendations for some good bands or songs and playlists.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys,

so after playing a lot of Life is Strange - Before the Storm I fell in love with the soundtrack from Daughter and I think I got kind of interested in this kind of music but I don't really have much experience with it so I thought I could get some input here and found this thread.

Now, Now - Thread

Daughter - No care

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads will roll (I really like the It's Blitz album)
White Lies - Bigger than Us

I think I especially like songs with a little faster rhythms but I'm also down with some slower and melancholic stuff.
Maybe you guys have some recommendations for some good bands or songs and playlists.

Maybe try Lanterns on the Lake? They're mostly on the slower/melancholic side, but they have that kind of vibe to them I think.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Listen to White lies' BIG TV and Friends album if you haven't already. I would also recommend Interpol but everyone already knows about them haha. If you want depressing listen to Keaton Henson, The National, Cigarettes After Sex.

Last edited:

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys,

Wolf Alice - Visions Of A Life
Savages - Silence Yourself
The Temper Trap - Conditions

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Break-Thru is a damn fine Dirty Projectors song. It's still weird not hearing Amber in it though, it's like something's missing. I didn't even know she had a solo album out, gonna check that out

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Saw Screaming Females in a really small - half empty - venue a few days ago.

This might be the best gig i've attended this year. Marissa slays.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Dream Wife, most exciting live band I've seen in ages.

Let's Make Out, starts around 1m30s: -

FUU: -

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Primavera day one: first time seeing Belle & Sebastian live, had no idea they were such an energetic live band. They invited a bunch of people onstage to dance and join in on a group singalong for Boy with the Arab Strap. I've stopped following their output about 10 years ago but I'll check out the albums I've missed. They did play my favourite, Like Dylan in the movies.
Wolf Parade I didn't know any song of, but enjoyed a lot.

Today's the first full day. War on Drugs, Fever Ray, Vince Staples, Chvrches. I'm probably missing out on Nick Cave but I only know the most famous songs and he clashes with Fever Ray.

Daeda

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm gonna do both: Start with Fever Ray and then the back half of Cave. But I can see both at Werchter next month so it's not the worst clash for me.

Yesterday's Spiritualized show (with orchestra) was pretty special

spiderferi

Apr 15, 2018
Tehran, Iran
Is this place safe to talk about Prog rock? lol. Anyways, I'm looking for good modern prog rock bands. Would be glad if anyone could recommend me a quality band.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just a few hours til I see Idles King_Moc Today wasn't that great for me, but I loved Mogwai, will have to get into their discog sometime. Thundercat spent chunks of his set just jamming, he didn't give a fuck and it was great.

My feet are already mush but tomorrow's the biggest day.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I've still not seen Idles live. They've even played about 20 miles from my house. Finally seeing them in August.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
New FJM album is great. Less heavy and much shorter than Pure Comedy. His writing is as good as ever and the band always adds some nice flourishes. Please Don't Die is a classic. Could maybeee cut like one of the 2 slower piano tracks but they're key to the struggle of his relationship.

New Natalie Prass album is pretty awesome too. Super groovy and poppy, a left turn from her debut but the band is up to the task. Prass' gorgeous soft vocals are a great compliment. Possibly a tad too long, maybe cut 1-2 songs here too. Oh My and Lost are my standouts.
About to see Iceage. Pretty excited brehs.

Edit: holyyyyy fuck
Ooh I'm seeing them Tuesday night. Should I prepare to mosh? Do they play their older stuff at all?

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh I'm seeing them Tuesday night. Should I prepare to mosh? Do they play their older stuff at all?
Mostly newer stuff. Had a chat with the band after the show and were talking about mostly focusing on newer stuff this tour. Would liked to hear some more older material, but was still an amazing show.

And yeah I'd prepare to mosh if youre into that lol.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly newer stuff. Had a chat with the band after the show and were talking about mostly focusing on newer stuff this tour. Would liked to hear some more older material, but was still an amazing show.

And yeah I'd prepare to mosh if youre into that lol.
Awesome. I'll get my boots ready.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Spiritualized have updated all their social media accounts. Looks like the new album might finally be announced pretty soon.

Supposedly it's the last album and Jason's been working on it til he felt it was perfect. Probably my most anticipated album this year....hoping the band goes out on a crazy high note, they've been consistently putting out amazing records.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Okay, Primavera ranking. I did miss Nick Cave after all, but I figured I wouldn't have that many shots at seeing FR live and luckily that show was amazing. Will see Cave when I know more of his material. I did feel like I missed out there, that was the hardest timetable clash for me. That being said:

- Idles
- Fever Ray
- Beach House (it was great but one hour flies by, too short for a set. Too bad Teen Dream is mostly gone from their basic setlist. 10 Mile Stereo is a given but no Zebra, Norway or Silver Soul)
- Mogwai
- Slowdive
- Warpaint (didn't know their output, loved it)
- Belle & Sebastian
- The War on Drugs (one hour is also very short for them since the songs are so long. It ended with an acoustic version of my favorite (Eyes to the Wind) but it was cut short because of time, only lasted a few minutes).
- Car Seat Headrest
- Father John Misty
- Chvrches
- Thundercat
- Wolf Parade
- Grizzly Bear (second time seeing them, they are the definition of automatic pilot live. They even sound bored between songs: "Now for the songs everybody knows". Plus I still think their latest album is a dud)
- Only saw a part of Vince Staples and Deerhunter. Staples was okay, would've loved to see the entire Deerhunter set but wanted a front seat for Beach House.

Worst show was Starcrawler, good thing I was at a distance.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's a lot of good ass artists.

Beach House has never played Zebra live for me and I've seen them 4 times in 3 years.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this thread would appreciate Retirement Party or not but... you should check out the new Retirement Party album.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Damn that's a lot of good ass artists.

Beach House has never played Zebra live for me and I've seen them 4 times in 3 years.

They did when I saw them during the Bloom tour, setlist. I just always want to hear Teen Dream songs as it's my favorite album.

I also had something scary happen while in the crowd for War on Drugs. A guy next to me just fainted and fell down. I saw it happen because his eyes were going to the back of his head, scary. We signaled for emergency services but he got better later. He ate a lollypop after, so I think it may be a diabetes issue? I wanted to ask but didn't feel like prying. Definitely seemed like it happened to him before.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Liz Phair with Soccer Mommy last night and I have mixed feelings. The show was at The Sinclair, which is a relatively new venue outside Boston and is great for band shows. I saw Superchunk there a few months back and it was really good. However, Sophie performed alone, and she really got lost on that big empty stage. In addition, a lot of people were talking during the set (huge pet peeve of mine) and a single guitar and voice is not going to cut through that. If she's not going to be able to tour with a band, a venue like this is not the best. I noticed that Snail Mail is coming there soon and I wonder if she is also performing alone.

Liz came with a backup guitarist, but it still seemed wrong for the venue. She seems to be having a good time, but performing these stripped down old songs seems to be trying to recreate a feeling that was very unique to a time in the past, and it's not successful. Primarily it made me feel really, really old. I think this show would have been better in a theater, with Liz on a stool, maybe.

I don't know why I didn't get around to seeing Liz in the 90's, that's too bad.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
I saw Liz Phair with Soccer Mommy last night and I have mixed feelings. The show was at The Sinclair, which is a relatively new venue outside Boston and is great for band shows. I saw Superchunk there a few months back and it was really good. However, Sophie performed alone, and she really got lost on that big empty stage. In addition, a lot of people were talking during the set (huge pet peeve of mine) and a single guitar and voice is not going to cut through that. If she's not going to be able to tour with a band, a venue like this is not the best. I noticed that Snail Mail is coming there soon and I wonder if she is also performing alone.

Liz came with a backup guitarist, but it still seemed wrong for the venue. She seems to be having a good time, but performing these stripped down old songs seems to be trying to recreate a feeling that was very unique to a time in the past, and it's not successful. Primarily it made me feel really, really old. I think this show would have been better in a theater, with Liz on a stool, maybe.

I don't know why I didn't get around to seeing Liz in the 90's, that's too bad.

I love the Sinclair. Saw Japanese Breakfast with LVL Up there last week.