• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 7, 2018
This isn't new by any stretch, quite the opposite in fact, but for indie/alternative fans, these two obscure, trippy albums from 1984 and 1987 are well worth hearing (they've both ended up in my all-time favourite indie albums since I discovered them a few years ago.)

So, quick backstory, there was a little-known UK band in the Eighties called Webcore. If you wanted to buy either of these two cassette-only albums at the time, you'd have to either get them from the merch stall at one of their gigs or order it from them by mail, so I can probably guarantee that literally nobody you've met IRL has ever heard or even heard of this music before!

Sometime, around seven or eight years ago IIRC, the band remastered both albums and made them available for free download. The files are uploaded as "sides" of a cassette, rather than individual songs, but they're albums made for listening to in one go, so that's only a minor inconvenience really.

So, IndieERA, may I present to you Cinematography and The Great Unfolding by Webcore. Enjoy :)

http://goldenbirdies.com/webcore.htm

Last edited:

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't new by any stretch, quite the opposite in fact, but for indie/alternative fans, these two obscure, trippy albums from 1984 and 1987 are well worth hearing (they've both ended up in my all-time favourite indie albums since I discovered them a few years ago.)

So, quick backstory, there was a little-known UK band in the Eighties called Webcore. If you wanted to buy either of these two cassette-only albums at the time, you'd have to either get them from the merch stall at one of their gigs or order it from them by mail, so I can probably guarantee that literally nobody you've met IRL has ever heard or even heard of this music before!

Sometime, around seven or eight years ago IIRC, the band remastered both albums and made them available for free download. The files are uploaded as "sides" of a cassette, rather than individual songs, but they're albums made for listening to in one go, so that's only a minor inconvenience really.

So, IndieERA, may I present to you Cinematography and The Great Unfolding by Webcore. Enjoy :)

Count me intrigued. What's the sound like, kinda space rock?

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Not sure if this is allowed, if not, then feel free to delete the post. My friend is in a band, A'priori, and he's just posted a music video for their first song off a new album coming soon. The song's called Better Man, and it'd be cool if I could get a few extra eyeballs on it for him.

Thanks for looking, if you do.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think about the new Ben Howard?

Been reading mixed things about it, but I've listened to it a couple times a week since release. Really have been enjoying it. I love everything Ben has done. His voice is one of my favorites.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I saw My Bloody Valentine last night. They basically sounded absolutely perfect, couldn't really have hoped for them to sound any better. I think they played about four new ones too, which were also excellent. The absolute masters of noise and shoegaze.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Omg, i'm so hyped. Event with that relatively mediocre sound it sounds fucking great.

Last edited:

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If you like 60s era pop, you're going to love this album (Cut Worms - Hollow Ground): https://open.spotify.com/album/5DjGD8R6AQvAWvH1MapfKK?si=4L34mx4QTTmPZkZxMEJbTQ

d8fb07_086b6e5cc54647e5a4cea87272f5f061~mv2_d_3600_3488_s_4_2.webp

Cut Worms - Cash For Gold

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
First Hookworms, then Flat Worms, now Cut Worms.

Is 'Worms' the new 'Club'?

(I'll listen to them a bit later)

andrew

Oct 25, 2017

So I finally listened to Cinematography. Solid diy post punk with some spooky gothic and electronic soundscapes. Can't say I was knocked on my ass, I never felt like it fully got out from under the shadow of Swell Maps, PiL, Eno--but I enjoyed it. If the cassette sides were split up into tracks I might listen to a couple of the songs on their own occasionally but idk if I'll go to the trouble of doing it myself.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Man, A Poem Unlimited is so good. That feeling when you've been sleeping on a great artist that's been putting out albums for 10 years. I have to listen to more of her discog

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, A Poem Unlimited is so good. That feeling when you've been sleeping on a great artist that's been putting out albums for 10 years. I have to listen to more of her discog

Yeah definitely one of the top releases this year. Have never listened to her until this year as well. Haven't gotten around the listening to her older stuff yet though.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it sounds amazing. I saw em live I think a year or two ago, but I might do so again if they play here again with how good this new album is.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Had the chance to go and see We Are Scientists last night and it was a pretty awesome show. Tons of energy and they sounded great. Beverly opened for them and they sounded pretty good as well although their mix was a bit rough and blown out for the first few songs, still it was a good show.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
they

are

fuckin

baaaaaaaaack

"That bastard had a head like a matchstick
Face like he was sucking concrete through a straw"

Hmm I wonder why it is they got back together...

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
New Metric single out last week. They seem to be going back to an older type of sound, something I quite appreciate, even if I didn't mind the synth direction.

Last edited:

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
I came to appreciate Synthetica but didn't even remember their last record. Regardless, I'm happy they're returning to their early sound.
Yeah, I really quite like Synthetica tracks like Lost Kitten and Speed the Collapse (especially in our current environment), but Pagans in Vegas never really stuck with me in the way that their previous albums did. I've quite liked Emily's more recent solo work though.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Trust Fund are breaking up--which I don't totally understand because the band was mostly one dude and I'd be surprised if he never made music again--and have a nice video from their latest album as a sendoff.

That last album is solid too: https://trustfund.bandcamp.com/album/bringing-the-backline
Though if you've never heard them before I would more highly recommend their split with Joanna Gruesome https://reeksofeffort.bandcamp.com/album/joanna-gruesome-trust-fund-split-12 and their album "No one's coming for us" https://trustfund.bandcamp.com/album/no-ones-coming-for-us

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Wild Pink's first album was great but they've really hit it out of the park with Yolk in the Fur. Wow. AOTY material easy.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
About to see My Bloody Valentine. What a life. Good thing I have ear plugs cause I can see about 15 amps lmao.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
saw MBV last night. They were pretty pretty great. My biggest takeaway was how important Colm and Debbie are to the sound, especially Debbie. holy shit she rips on bass, and live where you get so much more of that low end than on record it helped me to realize how she anchors their sound. and it's a lot of sound, you can feel it in the air around you. cool experience. Played a good mix of albums for over an hour and a half straight. The new ones were cool, the one above was good but I especially liked the other new one. sounded like a Suicide song. I guess selfishly my ideal set would involve losing 1 or 2 You Made Me Realise tracks for more Isn't Anything stuff (though idek if they could pull off "Sueisfine" or "When You Wake You're Still in a Dream" today). and ideally ideally they would play "Glider" for 30 minutes straight. but I at least got a taste of that when they closed with "You Made Me Realise" and stretched out the noise breakdown for five or six minutes.

The opener here in Chicago was so bad holy shit. Three guys in their late 40s in matching monogrammed bowling shirts with zero stage-presence playing the most generic ass heavy psych with godawful vocals. In the event anybody liked them they couldn't even have found them easily, because they weren't listed on the venue site and they didn't introduce themselves until mid-set when the guitarist mumbled their name once. there were literally people yelling "who are you." it's all too bad because after doing detective work to figure out who they are (the Martha's Vineyard Ferries, which, terrible band name too) it turns out there are people I kinda respect in there. one guy was drummed for Codeine (never a vital part of that band but still), another was Bob Weston who's legendary as a producer and engineer. too bad his band sucks.

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone heard anything about the new Vampire Weekend album? All I can find are articles dated a few months back about how close they are to being finished.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone heard anything about the new Vampire Weekend album? All I can find are articles dated a few months back about how close they are to being finished.
They just started playing live again and played a short snippet of a new song in those shows. Some fans think the text on their new merch point to a December release but they could also just be lyrics from the album or nothing at all. It's really a situation where there will be news when there's news. Nothing more to it than that.

Daeda

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
So TV on the Radio, one of my all time favorites, is playing their Dear Science album, probably their best, during a single night in New York. Since I live in The Netherlands that's not exactly the easiest concert to go to, but anyway I figured I could use a holiday. So craziest concert I've ever done has been booked!