• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
At first I found it kinda hard to even make it through the Daughters album, but now I revel in its ugliness and darkness. It's a tough listen, but very rewarding if you put in the time.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Fans of Britpop/shoegaze will dig this, releasing in March:

DxDKyWeWkAEiNRT.jpg

OP
OP
Ampersands

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
ooh I really like the new Weyes Blood.

That alongside new James Blake, Sharon van Etten, Deerhunter and others make for a nicely packed Friday.

Last edited:

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
The new Deerhunter is solid and has a good flow throughout, although it is a bit more subdued and restrained compared to their usual releases. I kind of wish they had the live version of What Happens to People? which is more epic with an extended intro.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
The Murlocs are back and Ambrose sounds better than ever in Comfort Zone that just dropped yesterday. Thought you guys might appreciate it

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the new deerhunter record is like every other deerhunter record post halcyon digest, it nails it's vision in the beginning and then eventually it becomes unfocused and the songs become extremely inconsistent in quality. i mean, tarnug is basically lockett admitting he's not into writing music anymore. plains should've been fleshed out beyond its very good idea of fusing nu-wave and shoegaze together. futurism feels like a b-side that fell out while they were trying to write element, so it's very similar while also feeling inferior to it. detournement is good (and for it being the "long slow song" that bradford loves sticking their albums, we got lucky this time *thinks about leather and wood and shudders*) but it's a pretty standard kraftwerk homage that doesn't really do anything beyond what anybody else has for kraut rock. And that's almost the whole back half of the album, ignoring the wonderful closer "Nocturne."

But boy, the run of songs from the beginning up to "What Happens to People"? Is my favorite stuff from them since Halcyon Digest, "What Happens to People?" is one of their best songs, and I sure do jive with the message of "Hey actually fuck nostalgia and fuck boomers, they can all rot."

Last edited:

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
the new deerhunter record is like every other deerhunter record post halcyon digest, it nails it's vision in the beginning and then eventually it becomes unfocused and the songs become extremely inconsistent in quality. i mean, tarnug is basically lockett admitting he's not into writing music anymore. plains should've been fleshed out beyond its very good idea of fusing nu-wave and shoegaze together. futurism feels like a b-side that fell out while they were trying to write element, so it's very similar while also feeling inferior to it. detournement is good (and for it being the "long slow song" that bradford loves sticking their albums, we got lucky this time *thinks about leather and wood and shudders*) but it's a pretty standard kraftwerk homage that doesn't really do anything beyond what anybody else has for kraut rock. And that's almost the whole back half of the album, ignoring the wonderful closer "Nocturne."

But boy, the run of songs from the beginning up to "What Happens to People"? Is my favorite stuff from them since Halcyon Digest, "What Happens to People?" is one of their best songs, and I sure do jive with the message of "Hey actually fuck nostalgia and fuck boomers, they can all rot."

Don't really agree with the first line. Monomania is my personal favourite. I think the last two have certainly felt safe when they used to be band where you didn't know how the new album would sound. Still, I like Fading Frontier and the new one, their songwriting is pretty consistent even if they don't seem as adventurous anymore.

Edit: never got the Leather and Wood hate.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't really agree with the first line. Monomania is my personal favourite. I think the last two have certainly felt safe when they used to be band where you didn't know how the new album would sound. Still, I like Fading Frontier and the new one, their songwriting is pretty consistent even if they don't seem as adventurous anymore.

Edit: never got the Leather and Wood hate.
I don't mind that the album is poppy. I think Deerhunter has always strove for pop sensibilities and Cryptogram's dense and experimental sound was them compensating for their, uh, inexperienced song writing skills. Microcastle was a pop rock record, so was Halcyon Digest. They're good pop rock records because Bradford Cox is a unique and talented vocalist, they had a knack for flavoring their songs with a sort of adolescent pathos, and that everybody in the band would contribute to the album beyond just playing their instruments.

And actually I'd say that their newest album shows a lot more growth and willingness to experiment than Monomania and Fading Frontier. The saxophone and Harpsichord are no longer gimmicks or motifs as they were in HD or FF but instead steadfast elements to the overall sound of the album. They're willing to mix genres in a single song like Ariel Pink and it has some very good results. The way they're using the synthesizer to punch up other instruments like in "What Happens to People?" is great, and reminiscent of late era Captain Beefheart. This is a great album for the first five songs, it's a REALLY fucking good album for the first five songs, but the problem is that the rest of the album happens and détournement -> Futurism -> Tarnug is a fucking TERRIBLE run of songs. You have a 3 1/2 minute palate cleansing track leading you to a 2 1/2 minute song that brings you to another 3 minute transitionary track. And then there's only eight minutes left for the album. It's a classic in the first half and rickety and half-baked for the second half.

Really the issue now is that Bradford Cox is the only one doing heavy lifting in terms of songwriting, and he can only muster a strong 24 minutes for each album.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
For sure they have always been poppy, Monomania is good because it has a lot of pop songs sprinkled with the more punk songs. But I mean Cryptograms, Microcastle, Weird Era, Halcyon Digest and Monomania seemed like the band going through a distict phase with each album. But I still like the last records as I said and I am less harsh on the second half compared to you. I never really minded the dirgey songs so I like Tarnung and the aforementioned Leather and Wood. I did read an interview lately where Bradford said Lockett is writing less songs because he has two kids now.

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The new Sharon Van Etten is quite spectacular. I have to say that I was a little hesitant when Comeback Kid came around because for some reason it reminded me of Bruce Springsteen and I do not like The Boss but I am happy to report it is the weakest song on the album. I love Jupiter 4 and the closing track in particular - very much your old fashioned Sharon Van Etten songs but now they sound massive.

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
What do people take of Bmth in this thread? I'm sure its not a good thing, This song is alright but it basically sounds like a eurodance grimez song

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The new Sharon Van Etten is quite spectacular. I have to say that I was a little hesitant when Comeback Kid came around because for some reason it reminded me of Bruce Springsteen and I do not like The Boss but I am happy to report it is the weakest song on the album. I love Jupiter 4 and the closing track in particular - very much your old fashioned Sharon Van Etten songs but now they sound massive.

Album is fantastic, and it keeps getting better each listen for me. I think the new approach to the production really benefits her style. Also, I know you don't like The Boss (I am not a big fan, either,) but she comes off a lil Bossy on more than just CC. "Seventeen" is pretty much new wave, better Bruce. She just does the thing way better, or at least her style makes the delivery far more palatable, imo. I think the reason I don't like Springsteen is because of his simplistic song structure and the sort-of-machismo delivery. Sharon suffers from neither, and she puts together interesting compositions, and even though her vocals are extremely strong, they have so much vulnerability that it makes the strength admirable rather than swaggering. Maybe?

Mostly, this album is fantastic and I want to talk about it. I can't stop lauding and listening. What a great and inspiring return to releasing music for her, one that I needed because I desperately missed her. You mentioned Jupiter 4... I love the song, but I also love that she just straight-up named a song after a classic synthesizer. Appropriate since it's perhaps the strongest track on the album, and the album is so synth-heavy. Happily, she incorporates them like instruments rather than tools.

I am also a synth nerd, so Sharon embracing them so much here combines two of my favorite things. 2019 already looking really good for music :)

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna say, Bruce is brilliant, Sharon Van Etten is brilliant, and Sharon Van Etten using Bruce as an influence is also brilliant.

Indie kids, you need to embrace the musical world that is out there more.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna say, Bruce is brilliant, Sharon Van Etten is brilliant, and Sharon Van Etten using Bruce as an influence is also brilliant.

Indie kids, you need to embrace the musical world that is out there more.
Support. But I think that "indie kids" embrace much of the musical world. Most of the indie artists of note doing work rn draw upon a lot of influences from decades past, and if some of the kids don't see that specifically, at least those older artists' legacies are living on in some sense.

That's the beautiful thing about music. It can be (*quasi)immortal, one way or the other.

*Until we are all erased by an existential crisis.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
For those that dig bands like The Menzingers, Japandroids, and Brand New, I recommend checking out Spielberg's debut 'This Is Not The End.' It's one of the best debuts by a band I've heard in a long time. Awesome from beginning to end

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
new Xiu Xiu is uh...I always expect the unexpected with them and yet they still manage to surprise me

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The new Jessica Pratt gets the highest of recommendations from me. A beautiful and mysterious work that sounds like it came directly from a dream. I share what I thought was the standout song, but it's really all good.

Macadinho94

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Definitely LTTP but that Conor Oberst/Phoebe Bridges album is definitely my favourite release this year so far

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Weyes Blood album pre-ordered and going to the Manchester show. Can't wait. New Single:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
On a whim I listened to some of Icky Mettle today and damn that record is still so good. Over 25 years old!

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I stumbled across this yesterday. RIYD Tops.

Looking forward to the new album from FACS, Chicago band formed from members of the indefinitely-on-hiatus and perpetually-underrated amazing noisy krauty post-punk act Disappears. This track's a jam.

And on the more no-wavey no-fi post-punk rock end I've been liking this Baus album. Undeniably great record title too: Songs to Snake to.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
New Chromatics track and tour upcoming?
Fjordson

Link
Meant to respond to this earlier, but definitely hyped, as foolish as that may be lol. The label has been a lot more active ever since Chromatics were in S3 of Twin Peaks so maybe that kicked them into gear?

Will definitely hit up the San Fran show, just hope Dear Tommy (or whatever a new album is called) actually drops this year.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
New Bad Religion track today... pretty dope

New PUP track and video is pretty cool. (They didn't use my friend's cover in the video at all though)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ampersands

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
This community introduced me to Crumb a few years ago and now they've finally come out with a new track!

There's also a new Pond album out.