• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
banner forthcoming

Let the people know how obscure your tastes are.

1. Favorite artist
2. Favorite album
3. Artists you're currently listening to
4. Best/latest concert/festival you were at
5. That hidden gem of an artist/album/song

some essentials:
518s-YOEzaL._SX300_.jpg
Unknownpleasures.jpg
R-10542318-1499552142-9869.jpeg.jpg
R-223354-1381947085-7813.jpeg.jpg
71XAeX4hshL._SL300_.jpg
e9d1b9e07e234b8aa4b6146ae3e7753b.jpg
smiths-the-queen-is-dead.jpg
Marquee_moon_album_cover.jpg
Radiohead.bends.albumart.jpg

Welcome to the new age!

Last edited:

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite band They Might Be Giants releases their 20th album I Like Fun on January 19, 2018.

600px-I_Like_Fun.jpg

Almost 60 years old and been together 35 years since 1982. Hundreds of songs all of which I can enjoy.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
In my ripe old age of 26 I find it hard to keep up with new music. The old thread was great for asking and checking new things out.

1. Favorite artist? Deerhoof and Stereolab. (There can never be one!)
2. Favorite album? Too hard to choose. My favourite songs from above are Lo Boob Oscillator from the lab and C from the hoof.
3. Artists you're currently listening to? Melody's Echo Chamber. I hope she gets better from her accident :(
4. Best/latest concert/festival you were at? Low at the Union Chapel. Soooooooooooooo good.
5. That hidden gem of an artist/album/song? There is an Australian musician called Pikelet who isn't that well known. Tronc is a good album.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all!

banner forthcoming

Let the people know how obscure your tastes are.

1. Favorite artist
2. Favorite album

1: Manic Street Preachers
2: The Holy Bible (by the above band)
3: Protomartyr, Kate Tempest, LCD Soundsystem, Dream Wife, St Vincent
4: Way too many to get through. Glastonbury was amazing as always, and in July I saw Radiohead, Arcade Fire and Pixies in the space of 3 days. Pixies were in an 800 capacity venue and I was at the front. Amazing.
5: Everyone here should listen to the German indie rock duo, Gurr. I swear no one's heard of them, but they're absolutely brilliant.

Tonight I'm off to see Public Service Broadcasting, and I have The Lovely Eggs, Ghostpoet, Sleaford Mods, Gurr and Mogwai coming up in the next few weeks.

notte

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see this make its way over here. I only lurked the last thread, but I'll try to be more active now.

1. none
2. Rumours & Hounds of Love
3. At this literal moment, it's Interpol. But I'm always listening to everything.
4. Snail Mail at the local college radio station. They are one of Baltimore's best bands, please go listen to their NPR tiny desk at least.
5. SNAIL MAIL!!!

notte

Oct 25, 2017
God, Turn on the Bright Lights is still SO GOOD. Of all the derivative 00's post-punk, this is easily the best.

Last edited:

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
Heyyy we're up

1. Stereolab
2. Emperor Tomato Ketchup, for now
3. I've been going back to Braids and Blue Hawaii lately
4. Latest was Wye Oak, like a year ago, unfortunately. Best was Mount Eerie in 2012
5. Sweet Trip - velocity : design : comfort

Outdoor Miner

Oct 26, 2017
Broward County FL, USA
NeoGAF dying was a kick in the ass for me. I plan to be a lot more active in the various communities going forward.

1. The Cure
2. Literally impossible to say at this point.
3. Ariel Pink, Primal Scream, Bjork this week. Fuck I forgot how good XTRMNTR was!
4. Latest festival was III Points. It was alright, got to see Gorillaz for the first time!
5. Principe Valiente - "Strangers in the Night" (It's like The Cure, Psychedelic Furs, and Echo all wrapped into one. Convenient!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4TRnk9wCA

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
A little late to the party but I'm enjoying the new Ariel Pink. First listen didn't really grab me but I'm giving it another shot (to be honest I can only listen to his music when in a certain mood).My favourite part of the album is the Time to Live/ Another Weekend section.

Outdoor Miner

Oct 26, 2017
Broward County FL, USA
I like the new Ariel Pink a lot. I don't think its as good as Pom Pom but its because that was likely his peak IMO.

Slightly related to Ariel Pink, there are some new John Maus tracks. Anyone here a fan?

notte

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I like everything I've heard from John Maus. His new album is out tomorrow.

Also, add me to the list of people who dug the new Ariel Pink. I think it's on par with his best work.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
I was slightly warming up the new St. Vincent but upon re listening to Actor it does seem a bit disappointing. There are some fun songs on there for sure but I don't think it will seem as fresh to me after awhile. There's something about Actor and Strange Mercy that stands out from the rest of her work; they sound more frustrated, more melancholy? If I remember she said she was in a dark place when she made those two, but then again she was supposedly in a rough patch when she made Masseduction.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
1. Favorite artist
Mark Kozelek

2. Favorite album
Converge - Jane Doe

Brutus, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Circuit des Yeux...

Slowdive for gig, ArcTanGent for festival

Something recent...hmmm...Phoebe Bridgers - Funeral

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Welcome back, everyone! Where's faridmon?

1. Favorite artist
I can't. Some near the top that sing in English are Bright Eyes and Brand New.
2. Favorite album
I still can't.
The National and...
Alvvays and The Drums!! They were the two bands I was most excited to see while I'm in America, and these two bands are playing on my two favorite days of the year: Halloween and my birthday!!
One of my favorite shows of all time is probably seeing Vampillia, a Japanese Experimental Black Metal band, but out of the shows I've seen outside of Japan, I really loved Coheed & Cambria, Streetlight Manifesto, Andrew Bird, The Cure, and David Byrne with St. Vincent. Oh, I also saw Mae in Japan recently. That was super nostalgic and moving.
Do people know Owen Pallett? He's brilliant.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Welp. I guess he can't have this, then.
I actually came to check the thread to give away a free digital copy of Alvvays' Antisocialites.
Whoever guesses my favorite Alvvays song can have it, or I'll just get bored and give it to whomever's avatar I like most, if you all fail.

touchmeimdik

Oct 25, 2017
You know you're in the right spot when the first post has Joy Division and The Smiths.

Anyone digging the Duds record on Castle Face?

OP
OP
Ampersands

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
Slowdive for gig, ArcTanGent for festival

How was Slowdive? I have a chance to see them this Saturday but I've got midterms next week and I've already been to 2 concerts this week alone.
Welp. I guess he can't have this, then.
I actually came to check the thread to give away a free digital copy of Alvvays' Antisocialites.
Whoever guesses my favorite Alvvays song can have it, or I'll just get bored and give it to whomever's avatar I like most, if you all fail.

I love Alvvays, one of the few indie bands I was able to get certain stubborn people to listen to. Actually was at one of their gigs a few days ago and got to meet Molly and Kerri! Anyways, I don't need the digital copy but your favorite track is Not My Baby?

Outdoor Miner

Oct 26, 2017
Broward County FL, USA
I'll try to do these every Friday. Feel free to make suggestions on new sources for releases or even improvements to the format.

Notable Releases - Oct. 27th

The Dead Milkmen - Welcome to the End of the World (Spotify)
Darlene Shrugg - Darlene Shrugg (Spotify)
Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights (Metacritic, Spotify)
Weezer - Pacific Daydream (Metacritic, Spotify)
John Maus - Screen Memories (Metacritic, Spotify)
Battleme - Cult Psychotica (Spotify)
Maston - Tulips (Spotify)
Stereophonics - Scream Above the Sounds (Spotify)
Fever Ray - Plunge (Spotify)

*sourced from AllMusic, Metacritic, R/Indieheads, SlicingUpEyeballs*

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I'll try to do these every Friday. Feel free to make suggestions on new sources for releases or even improvements to the format.

Notable Releases - Oct. 27th

*sourced from AllMusic, Metacritic, R/Indieheads, SlicingUpEyeballs*

Great idea! To add to that list, some things I'm interested in

• Danielle Lupi & Parquet Courts - Milano
  • Curtis Harding - Face Your Fear
Danielle Lupi made a record with Danger Mouse a couple of years ago, now he's teamed up with Parquet Courts. Still have to listen though. I also heard a track by Curtis Harding on NPR All Song's Considered podcast and really dug it.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Dragons is my favorite rock band their lyrics are so inspirational.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Going to The National's gig at Victoria Park next year now too. Great lineup, war on drugs, warpaint, the districts and future islands.

It's the quietest venue in the world, but I'll just have to make do.

Oct 26, 2017
A little late to the party but I'm enjoying the new Ariel Pink. First listen didn't really grab me but I'm giving it another shot (to be honest I can only listen to his music when in a certain mood).My favourite part of the album is the Time to Live/ Another Weekend section.

Pom Pom had higher peaks (Side 1. Like...holy shit), but lower valleys. This one felt more consistent I think.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
hey new thread.
1. Velvet Underground, Can, Bowie, Weezer, Spiritualized/Spacemen 3, Townes Van Zandt, Talking Heads, Otis Redding
2. Weezer Blue Album, Tago Mago, Velvet Underground '69
3. Right this second I'm listening to The Wrens' Silver. The album I've been most obsessed with this year is probably Pod by the Breeders, which is far and away their best.
4. Last concert was Whitney playing a pop up show for some brewery. was free, first come first serve and their shows here coming up are already sold out so it was
5. "Health and Efficiency" by This Heat (avatar source)

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
1. Favorite artist
Swans at the moment

2. Favorite album
Err, hard to pick. Tyranny by JC+The Voidz or Hospice by The Antlers

Deathconsciousness by Have a Nice Life, as well as various Xiu Xiu albums

Caught Death Grips in Cleveland last Friday. Really fucking intense

Preoccupations is a pretty good Canadian post-punk band

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Hey !

1. Probably Sonic Youth... I don't know really.
2. Loveless
3. Chelsea Wolfe / Fever Ray / Bully / Protomartyr And on a big Siouxie binge.
4. Saw Japanese Breakfast last night. Good gig.
5. Duster - Stratosphere

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
I never got to see Sonic Youth live. I did see Thurston Moore at a small gig filming with his smart phone and leaving early. tsk tsk bad etiquette lol.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for Moore's just-announced album with Charles Hayward of This Heat coming in December.

I haven't heard much of Moore's post-sy work though. (Or more than about 5 Sonic Youth albums tbh.) Gordon's Body/Head is dope.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Howdy!

1. The Clash
2. London Calling
3. The Menzingers / Propagandhi / Iron Chic / My usual Halloween listens (AFI, Tiger Army, Misfits, World/Inferno Friendship Society)
4. Murder by Death played a boat cruise double set in NYC which went around the Hudson River a few weeks ago.
5. PUP - DVP - If you're into video games, don't sleep on this music video!

Oct 26, 2017
This Fever Ray album is fire.

I actually didn't know this was a project that existed until earlier this week. I heard a song on the radio and I was like "why does this sound familiar?" It wasn't until I put 2 and 2 together and realized it was The Knife's singer that I devoured Plunge. Dope shit.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm excited for Moore's just-announced album with Charles Hayward of This Heat coming in December.

I haven't heard much of Moore's post-sy work though. (Or more than about 5 Sonic Youth albums tbh.) Gordon's Body/Head is dope.

His solo output has been decent to pretty good so far, especially with his last one.
Lee Ranaldo has some pretty great post SY stuff too.

This Fever Ray album is fire.

I actually didn't know this was a project that existed until earlier this week. I heard a song on the radio and I was like "why does this sound familiar?" It wasn't until I put 2 and 2 together and realized it was The Knife's singer that I devoured Plunge. Dope shit.

Don't sleep on this remix.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Any other post-rock fans in here?

1. toe (This Will Destroy You as a close second)
2. Hard to choose just one... The Book About My Idle Plot on a Vague Anxiety, The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place, Young Mountain, Silent Alarm
3. If These Trees Could Talk, Low Roar, The fin., Fleet Foxes, We Were Promised Jetpacks
4. Sadly haven't been able to go to a concert or festival in a long time
5. Saudade by I/O

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Hi. I was on the other board.

1. My favorite artist has always been Peter Gabriel.
2. Favorite album is his third one, Melt.
3. Currently making my way through Portishead's discog right now. Really good stuff, don't know how I slept on them for so long.
4. Last concert I went to was the Thurston Moore Group. They were great, not much to say really.
5. The Beach Boys' Holland is a criminally underrated album.

Last edited:

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Checking in for the first time here on resetera. I'd like to thank Ampersands and wandering for helping me attempt to get in on the waves. I would've been able to get in earlier, but unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to access my computer or phone thursday evening to get in before open registration. Nevertheless, I felt like this was my favorite place to post on the old forum, so I look forward to being a contributing member here.

1. The Dear Hunter, got to see them live for the first time this year at a solo show and they didn't disappoint.
2. Believe it or not, it's not my avatar. My favorite album would be El Camino by the Black Keys.
3. New King Krule, Barnett/Vile, and Julien Baker are all in rotation for me right now.
4. Got to see Fleet Foxes back in September for an outdoor concert. the crowd covered a whole city block, and my gf and I were at the very front. Needless to say it was like floating through a dream the whole time.
5. It Culls You by The Envy Corps is a fantastic album and I hope to god they come out with another album this decade.

jumper

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Favorite Artist: Smashing Pumpkins - (not so much recently - as their albums post 2000 aren't as great)
  2. Favorite Album: Siamese Dream
  3. Artists listening to recently: (Just to name the most recent) Wolf Alice, the Horrors, Chastity Belt, Jay Som, Warpaint, Slowdive, Cymbals Eat Guitars, No Joy
  4. Last 2 shows: Thurston Moore, La Sera
  5. Hidden gem of an album: Serena-Maneesh's self titled album, and No. 2Abyss in B Minor. Off their second album, I Just Want to See Your Face

EVOL

Oct 27, 2017
I only lurked the thread on the last site time to time, might as well post in this one now.

1. Favorite artist: Sonic Youth, Can, Tom Waits, Radiohead, David Sylvian, Einsturzende Neubauten
2. Favorite album(s): Radiohead - Kid A, Tom Waits - Rain Dogs, David Sylvian - Blemish
3. Artists you're currently listening to: Been listening to David Bowie, Alvvays, Xiu Xiu and St. Vincent lately
4. Best/latest concert/festival you were at: Last memorable concert I watched was Radiohead back in 2012.
5. That hidden gem of an artist/album/song:
Saram12Saram: Raindrop, Cloud, Typhoon and the Sun EP
Kim Doo-Soo: Free Soul

On the topic of Sonic Youth, their solo output has been pretty disappointing imo. I really do think that they were a case of the whole being more than the sum of the parts.

00ich

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
1. Favorite artist
by volume over the last 10 years (according to last.fm )
Pascow (German punk band)
The Mountain Goats
BoySetsFire
Sufjan Stevens
2. Favorite album
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, first great album I bought myself that (kind of) holds up today
Mountain Goats
The War On Drugs
Amplifier
some German bands (Love A, Erfolg, Herrenmagazin)
Nick Cave
Einar Stray Orchestra

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
Getting closer to Halloween, it is the perfect time to revisit Nico's Marble Index and Dessertshore. 2spooky4me

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Favorite artist: (see avatar) all things Kim Deal, Stereolab, Imperial Teen, Belle & Sebastian, early New Order, all Kathleen Hanna projects, really too many to mention!
2. Favorite album: The Amps - Pacer, Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister, New Order - Power, Corruption and Lies
3. Currently listening to: The Breeders, of course (new single is F I R E), the latest Patience single (synth pop perfection), Courtney Barnett
4. Just saw Saint Etienne and they were incredible, lots of other good shows this year-- Jens Lekman, Belle & Sebastian to name a couple. All time? LCD Soundsystem at tiny Music Hall of Williamsburg is up there, The Aislers Set at Chickfactor, Sleater-Kinney, WILD FLAG, about to see the Breeders in three cities in a couple weeks, can't wait!
5. That hidden gem of an artist/album/song: The incredible, underrated My Favorite, RIYL New Order, Smiths, Stars. One of their best, "Burning Hearts"

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
1. Favorite artist: (see avatar) all things Kim Deal, Stereolab, Imperial Teen, Belle & Sebastian, early New Order, all Kathleen Hanna projects, really too many to mention!
2. Favorite album: The Amps - Pacer, Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister, New Order - Power, Corruption and Lies
3. Currently listening to: The Breeders, of course (new single is F I R E), the latest Patience single (synth pop perfection), Courtney Barnett
4. Just saw Saint Etienne and they were incredible, lots of other good shows this year-- Jens Lekman, Belle & Sebastian to name a couple. All time? LCD Soundsystem at tiny Music Hall of Williamsburg is up there, The Aislers Set at Chickfactor, Sleater-Kinney, WILD FLAG, about to see the Breeders in three cities in a couple weeks, can't wait!
5. That hidden gem of an artist/album/song: The incredible, underrated My Favorite, RIYL New Order, Smiths, Stars. One of their best, "Burning Hearts"

Love Kim Deal and Pacer is a great album. So excited for the new Breeders album! She has managed to keep her songwriting sharp all these years.