• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I thought this thread was dead...

4/26 Kevin Morby - OMG
5/3 Vampire Weekend - FotB
5/3 Big Thief - U.F.O.F.
5/10 Mac Demarco - Here Comes the Cowboy

what a great string of releases. Similar for me last year when Courtney Barnett, Parquet Courts and Malkmus dropped albums with a week or two.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
OH remembered another.

5/10 Radiator Hospital - Music for Daydreaming

officially the most condensed period of time with bands I like releasing records.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing new is speaking to me lately. Can anyone recommend a newish band with some energy to it (ie not like a Beach House kind of thing)?

For reference my favorite record last year was Hop Along. I checked our PUP but it was a bit too jokey for me.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Nothing new is speaking to me lately. Can anyone recommend a newish band with some energy to it (ie not like a Beach House kind of thing)?

For reference my favorite record last year was Hop Along. I checked our PUP but it was a bit too jokey for me.

Weakened Friends, Sidney Gish, Palehound, Pile, Potty Mouth, Fucko, Vundabar

These bands all have something in common a star to who figures it out.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017

Here's some rock/punk stuff from the last few months. I love the PUP record but I can get finding it jokey.

Control Top - Covert Contracts ("Unapologetic")
Martha - Love Keeps Kicking ("Love Keeps Kicking")
Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel ("Liberty Belle")
Juliana Hatfield - Weird ("Everything's for Sale")
Baus - Songs To Snake To ("Pop Song")

Weakened Friends, Sidney Gish, Palehound, Pile, Potty Mouth, Fucko, Vundabar

These bands all have something in common a star to who figures it out.
I know Vundabar and Pile are Boston bands and I believe Potty Mouth started there (but are in Los Angeles now? Can't remember) so I'm going to guess it's Boston bands

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, that's a nice long list to dig into (more are welcome).

And ahem Juliana Hatfield is not "newish" ;)

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard about backyard shows but I guess playing living rooms is a thing now?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

Their new record is a little too... sleepy for me I think. But have you listened to Big Thief? Their first album "Masterpiece" is just amazing. Lots of energy.

I second Sidney Gish as well though her songs are kind of jokey as well. Every song is kind of a little in joke or sarcastic but the music is so damn upbeat and catchy.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
New Pile album is probably their best album since Dripping just thought ya'll should know. Not to poopoo on their other works between them of course, their whole discog is excellent

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
An album a year plus EP's for a very long time, so a lot to get into. I've never really dug into them, even though French Disko is one of my all time favourite songs.

Pitchfork just posted some live videos and that's the song that grabbed me.

Started listening to Transient Random-Noise and I'm liking it so far.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
So, was supposed to see MGMT live here in Houston, and the show got canceled at the last minute by the venue due to the crazy weather as it was an outdoors show.

Then apparently the band performed an hour long DJ set indoors for the people who were still hanging around the venue.

Pretty pissed at the piss poor communication by the venue. :/

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
A disappointing year for me so far, good albums here and there but nothing special

Macadinho94

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Seeing the last show on the Better Oblivion Community Centre Tour tonight, I'm sure it'll be amazing per reactions to shows so far this tour

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The National album sounding good so far. There are a lot of female vocals, almost a duet album. Sounds good.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Nice, new National album already on Spotify today, i thought it would only be released next week. Gonna listen non-stop during the weekend!

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
On a first listen, it's my favourite National album for quite a while. Most songs are working for me on a first listen. 'Not in Kansas' is brilliant in particular, and it's good to see them not being afraid of nailing their political colours to the wall.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty much just an Alligator/Boxer fan, but I was reading someone say this reminds them a lot of Boxer so I'm gonna give it a listen.

Plus I think the main issue I have with National albums is Matt's vocals just slogging me down during the course of a ~50 minute album. So all the female guest vocals could help.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
The new National album is almost unbearably gorgeous. Those warm synth textures and choral vocals make me feel things.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Leaving for Barcelona tomorrow for Primavera.

I plan to see this

5hdDl4N.jpg

There are some big names on sunday I didn't mark because I'm not familiar with the work (James Blake, Solange, Stereolab). If there are great live acts I didn't mark, please let me know. I just marked what I'm familiar with. On saturday in particular I haven't marked much. I've already seen Kate Tempest and she was awesome, but I don't know if I'll go again.

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
Leaving for Barcelona tomorrow for Primavera.

I plan to see this

There are some big names on sunday I didn't mark because I'm not familiar with the work (James Blake, Solange, Stereolab). If there are great live acts I didn't mark, please let me know. I just marked what I'm familiar with. On saturday in particular I haven't marked much. I've already seen Kate Tempest and she was awesome, but I don't know if I'll go again.

I've heard good things about Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes playing on sunday. The new album, End of suffering, is good as well but not as good as the previous album, Modern ruin.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I leave the house for the evening, and 5 mins later Sleater Kinney release a new single.

Macadinho94

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Justin Vernon surprise dropped two new Bon Iver songs. Liking the new sound. Wonder if that's an indication of a new album on the way?

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018
Hope it was good. I'm seeing them for the first time ever on Thursday. They've not been in UK since 2002 I think.

You're in for a treat, they were fucking amazing. One of the best concerts (maybe even the best) I've had the pleasure of witnessing. I know this is full of hyperbole but fuck it, it was objectively stunning to see them live as a long-time fan. Have fun!